• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 4,036 Views, 140 Comments

The Workhorse - Backburner



Describing the relationship of Twilight and Big Mac, the events that brings them together, and the love that grew along the way

  • ...
8
 140
 4,036

Books

Twilight made her way back to the library alone after a long day at Sweet Apple Acres. What was Big Mac trying to pull? He seemed so smug when she questioned him, until she started yelling at him. Maybe she had been too harsh; Big Mac did save her yesterday, but that didn’t excuse his behavior. How was she supposed to know it was all a game? And why did she care so much if he was watching her before the cart fell? Questions buzzed in her head all the way home.

When Twilight reached the library she heard a cacophony of noise from inside. It sounded like all of Ponyville was having a party in there. When Twilight opened the door the ruined remains of her previously perfectly organized library greeted her. Among the haphazardly thrown stacks of books four little heads stuck out. Spike was the first to speak.

“Twilight, I can explain everything.” Twilight looked with awe at the chaos around her and waited speechlessly. “I was running the library like you said and then these three came in.” Spike gestured to the other three forms that Twilight recognized as being the cutie mark crusaders. “They were looking for a book on how to fly or something for a machine they planned to build. But long story short they couldn’t find it.” Twilight collected herself before speaking.

“I think it would be best, if you all went home and told your parents what you did here.”

“But Twi, we need to find…” Applebloom started, but Twilight was beyond being swayed.

“I’m sorry, I’ll find the book and give it to you as soon as I can. Until then I need to clean up the library before tomorrow. It's late, and you three should be headed home anyway” The three fillies started to leave, but before they could go Applebloom turned to Twilight.

“Twi, do we have to go home, or can we all go to my house.”

“I think it would be best, if you didn’t cause any more trouble tonight.” Twilight said hoping to bring an end to this day and get to work on the piles of books before her.

“Then I’m going to need somepony to walk home with. Applejack says she doesn’t like me walking to and from town alone, the path goes to close to the Everfree Forest.” So Twilight could send these three troublemakers to Applejack, or once again travel to Sweet Apple Acres and risk running into Big Mac. Twilight sighed as she examined the mess around her and thought of everything that could possibly go wrong should these three be let lose on the town at this hour.

“Alright Applebloom, I’ll go with you.” Applebloom clearly liked this idea about as much as Twilight, hanging her head as they set out. As the two made there way outside of Ponyville and onto the path leading toward Sweet Apple Acres, Applebloom spoke.

“I’m sorry about what happened yesterday and what we did to your library. I’m not getting a cutie mark in helping you any time soon.” Twilight had already replaced any emotion she had felt upon seeing her library with worry as to what Big Mac would say, so this apology couldn’t have come at a worse time.

“It’s alright Applebloom, you didn’t mean it.”

“No it’s not ok Twi, it’s one thing to nearly kill you with the apple cart, but to then turn right around and tear up your home! Applejack’s going to be so mad at me.” Applebloom turned away and a small sob drifted up to Twilight’s ears. Twilight stopped dead in her tracks and looked down at Applebloom. The filly stood looking into the distance away from Twilight as small tears drifted down her cheeks.

“Great, just what I needed.” Twilight said under her breath. Circling around Applebloom to look her in the eyes, Twilight lifted up the young foul’s head with a hoof. “Applebloom, everypony makes mistakes. Sometimes we do things without thinking or by accident that hurt others, but if we feel sorry for them we can always make it better.” Applebloom surprised Twilight and wrapped her hooves around her neck in an embrace.

“Well I feel mighty sorry Twilight.” Twilight returned the embrace with one hoof until Applebloom released her. With a small smile from the filly soon the two were back on their way to the farm, Applebloom leading the way. “I hope it doesn’t take you to long to clean up our mess.” Twilight was more worried about her own mess with Big Mac. What would she say? What would he say? With any luck if she did see him it would be a few Eeyups and a goodnight.

When they reached their destination, Applebloom guided Twilight to the front of the farmhouse and Twilight knocked on the door. No answer came at first but Twilight could hear hoofsteps inside. When Big Mac opened the door Twilight cursed her bad luck before speaking.

“I believe this is yours.” Twilight said as she motioned for Applebloom to go inside.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said as Applebloom scurried up to her room.

“I found her and the cutie mark crusaders in the library, the whole place is pretty much out of commission till I can reshelf everything.” Twilight waited for a response but when none came she continued.

“Anyway…she was pretty upset on the walk back here, I know this might sound weird coming from the focus of her two latest accidents but go easy on her ok.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said. Twilight looked at the stallion. He normally had very stern looking eyes that looked like he was deep in thought. But somehow they seemed to almost look sad now. Twilight remembered what she had told Applebloom on the way over here, everypony makes mistakes. Big Mac was just trying to play…it almost reminded her of herself before making friends. Big Mac’s eyes silently pleaded his case while Twilight berated herself for being such a pushover.

“I’m sorry about yelling at you today. I just didn’t know how to react. I didn’t mean to throw that apple at you and I overreacted when you…I’m sorry.” Twilight fully expected another Eeyup to answer her but Big Mac gave her something else.

“No Miss. Sparkle, I’m sorry. I knew the apple you threw was an accident. I saw you try and pretend like you weren’t looking at me and your magic messed up. I thought I could turn it into a funny little game, but I was wrong. Frighteni’n mares ain’t somethi’n a proper stallion should do and I’m sorry I didn’t control myself. I’m not much good with words but I hope that’s good enough to tell you I’m being honest.”

Twilight didn’t know what to say. Big Mac rarely spoke to his own family with that many words much less anypony else. Using a complete sentence was enough to convince Twilight he was telling the truth, this…how could she not accept his apology? In fact, she almost felt like she owed him.

“You know, I never got to properly thank you for what you did yesterday, and with today added to that, why don’t I do something to make up for it.” Twilight couldn’t believe she had said that, it sounded so unlike her. Big Mac looked surprised at the offer, and Twilight could see a slight blush. “Do you think you could come over to the library Sunday? I usually don’t get much business that day so we could just sit around and talk or, read, or something.” Twilight’s voice trailed off there at the end as Big Mac’s ears slicked back. What was she doing?

“Eeyup.” Big Mac said.

“Is that a Eeyup we could or a Eeyup you’ll go?”

“Eeyup.”

“So you’re coming?” Big Mac nodded his head and Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. “Alright, see you then.” Big Mac closed the door without another word and Twilight was left to wonder where in Equestria that had come from.

* * *

Twilight sat and admired her handy work. It had taken nearly a full day to reshelf all the books, even with Spikes help. Yet she had somehow managed to do it and get everypony who came in exactly what they were looking for. Even the book the cutie mark crusaders had been searching for was eventually located, which Big Mac was going to take to them after his visit. Twilight had sent Spike on a few errands to keep him occupied for the day, no use making this any more nerve racking then it already was.

Twilight both couldn’t wait for Big Mac to arrive and dreaded it. Big Mac said he was bad with words, well Twilight was probably just as bad at conversation. Between the two of them it would be a very silent evening. However before to long Twilight heard a knock on the door. When she answered, Big Mac stood in the doorway. His face betrayed no emotion but Twilight could tell he was nervous.

“Hey, hope you didn’t shirk any chores on the farm to come visit today.” Twilight said, inviting Big Mac inside.

“Nope,” Big Mac replied as he entered.

“Back to that are we?

“I ain’t much good with words.” A full sentence, it was a start.

“So, you find the place ok?” Twilight had no idea how to start a conversation under these circumstances. She rereread one or two books on conversation starters but most of them where for groups or parties, not single pony get togethers.

“Eeyup, it’s pretty big.”

“Anything happen on the trip into town?”

“Nope.” Great, that was basically all she had and they hadn’t even sat down yet. Twilight racked her brain thinking about what to do.

“You hungry.” Twilight meant to save that question for later but she was desperate.

“A little.” Big Mac said, but that was good enough for Twilight at this point.

“I’m going to go get something to snack on, feel free to look around.” Twilight rushed into the other room with speed Rainbow Dash would be jealous of. “Got to find something to talk about, anything, oh why didn’t I have something planned.” She said aloud to herself as she threw some celery on a plate.

“What do me and him have in common? Nothing, he’s not a unicorn, I don’t live on a farm, we’re not even from the same city. Do we have similar interests? Again no, I’m not very fond of harvesting and can’t do it very well, and while I hate to give in to stereotypes I’m working on the assumption he dosn't read so that’s out. Do we have similar friends? The only one I can think of is…but how am I going to fill an evening talking about nopony but Applejack?”

Deciding it will have to do, Twilight put on a smile and returned to find Big Mac bent over a copy of the complete works of Edgar Allen Pony. Twilight nearly dropped the plate. Big Mac looked up from the book to see Twilight’s shocked expression.

“You alright Miss. Sparkle?”

“Yes, I brought some celery.” Twilight set the plat down next to Big Mac and took a seat beside him. “I didn’t know you where a fan of Po.”

“I don’t have any of his work, but I love his style of right’n.”

“What’s your favorite piece?”

“Dreamland, I can never read it the same way twice.”

“So you like his poetry, what about his short stories?”

“I like his Sci-fi stuff more then his detective stories, but that’s just cause I prefer that type of book, not because his stories aren’t well done.”

“I’m more of a Sci-fi girl myself, but I owe a little credit to Po for helping me during the events of the train ride with the Marzipan Madness cake.”

“Sci-fi ain’t got much practical use less you’re trying to be good at spout’n gibberish.” Twilight chuckled.

“That’s true, do you have a favorite book?”

“20,000 leagues under the sea, the day they invent that, I’m mov’n to a kelp farm.”

“That’s one I’d never pick for you, I had no idea you were into books like that.”

“Let me guess, you probably heard my accent and thought I couldn’t even read let alone understand the classics. I bet you didn’t know I ran all the books for Sweet Apple Acres since I was to young to have a cutie mark.”

“Really? Didn’t your parents take care of that?” Twilight could tell that question struck a cord. Big Mac had almost smiled a second ago, but his face descended back into it’s natural expressionless state when Twilight mentioned his parents.

“They were always very busy, pa had to run the farm and ma, well when she wasn’t in labor or to pregnant to work she helped with Granny Smith and did house work. I was the only one available.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s ok, you didn’t know. I can’t blame you for not know’n someth’n. I guess Applejack never told y’all that story, she was very young when it all happen’d. I don’t suppose you’d care to hear it?”

“Big Mac you don’t have to…”

“You’d find out sooner or later. If she won’t tell you I might as well do it.” Big Mac was apparently just as stubborn as Applejack, so what could Twilight do but sit back and listen? Plus it wasn’t as if she had a better idea for conversation. “My Pa was the only colt of Granny Smith. Sixteen kids, and only one colt. To make matters worse my Pa was the youngest child so I got nieces old enough to be my sisters. Granny raised Pa to take over the family farm, largely on her own because her husband died of a heart attack before he was born.

When my dad got hitched, Granny was overjoyed. The family name was going to live on long after she passed away; someth’n everypony in her position would want. My ma was barely married a year before she had me. My birthday being two months after my parent’s anniversary. A few years after me, ma got pregnant with Applejack, about the time I started learning how to manage the farm she was born. Ma didn’t do well in the delivery room, someth’n went wrong. If dad and I had known just how wrong, maybe they’d both still be here.

But Applejack came out fine and we carted ma and the baby home so I could learn not only how to run a business but how to take care of a baby. Ma stayed in bed for a long time, unable to move or even wash herself, so I took care of the house with Granny. But ma was stubborn, and she loved us more then anything, she loved my daddy so much, she slept with him the first night she could walk again. From that night I got Applebloom.

I remember the night Applebloom was born because it was a week after I got my cutie mark. It was raining hard, but after what happened last time my dad wasn’t about to let ma give birth at home. So we wrapped her in a blanket and put her in the apple cart. I pulled, pa pushed. The road was long and muddy; all I remember is hearing ma scream. When we finally made it I turned back for the first time since we left. Ma had wrapped the blanket around the baby, and pa was crying, the only time I ever saw him do that.

Pa road in the cart with the baby home, where I broke the news to Applejack and Granny. After that night it was my job to take care of the farm, and the books, and the baby, and Applejacks school’n, and pa. The only time during that whole period I remember talk’n to Applejack about pa, was the day before he passed away. She was sitting outside watching the sunset after I put Applebloom to sleep.

I asked her what she was doing, and she asked me if pa was going to be ok. I didn’t usually mention our parents in front of her, so this question surprised me. I told her pa loves her and was doing his best to get better, but she started to cry and called me a liar before running off into the orchard. When Pa died the next morn’n, I thought she’d never come back, but she did.

Granny Smith couldn’t take the loss. I think when pa died is really when her mind started to go. Lost all focus on anything but zap apples, sleeping, and her three grandkids. That’s all she’s got left. When Applejack was old enough I let her start helping on the farm to take a load off me and when Applebloom gets a bit older I’m put’n her to work to. I’ve been work’n since I was her age so I’m sure she can do it.

Did you ever wonder why Applejack was so fond of her hat? How about her lasso, or Applebloom? Applebloom’s all she has left of ma, she was her last gift to us and the only one Applejack was old enough to remember. That hat used to be Pa’s, he bought it after I was born as a gift to himself, same with the lasso. Applejack probably can’t think about that hat without remember’n. I’m surprised you never heard her talk about it.”

Twilight was speechless, if somepony had told her a week ago she would nearly be killed twice, only to invite her savior/assailant to tell his life story using more words then he ever did in any other situation ever, she would have laughed in there face. Yet here she sat in exactly that situation.

“I had no idea,” Twilight said. “But that leaves one question, if you had to do all this, where did you find time to become such an avid reader.”

“Pa taught me a lot before he passed away. Ma had been big on books and see’n as she had that big span of time where she was stuck in bed we amassed a small library I still keep. Pa taught me how to read and everything he thought I should know. He flat out told me he wanted to send me to a university in Manehattan but we couldn’t afford it. So I had to give myself an education. Unfortunately I didn’t do to well in the speaking department, this accent is just as strong as pa’s.”

“I can understand you pretty well, I’m surprised you don’t talk more often, you’re a very good story teller.”

“Miss. Sparkle you’re just say’n that.”

“Please, call me Twilight. You don’t ask me to call you Mr. Macintosh.”

“That’s because I ain’t married.”

“You think I’m married?” Twilight said a little confused.

“Nope, but the only way somepony’s getting away with calling me Mr. Macintosh is if I’m hitched or mayor, and I don’t plan on run’n for mayor.” Twilight laughed. She couldn’t believe Big Mac liked to stay silent so much, all he needs is a little encouragement and, well who knows?

* * *

Twilight and Big Mac talked for hours about their favorite books and authors, Big Mac doing most of the talking. Twilight brought down book after book from the shelves and was blown away by Big Mac’s knowledge on all of them. There didn’t seam to be a single subject he wasn’t at least informed of, even surpassing Twilight in natural studies. (But Twilight knew that would happen.) When the day began to draw to a close Twilight walked with Big Mac to the door.

“Twilight, that still feels weird to say, but how would you feel about coming to visit me on the farm? Now that we got most of the work done for this season I don’t have much to do. We could take a walk through the apple orchard before the trees lose all their leaves.”

“That sounds great, however unless you want me over tomorrow I’m…”

“Tomorrow’s fine.” Big Mac said. Twilight smiled at how eager he seemed. She opened the door and Big Mac stepped outside. “Thank you for invitin' me over, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight Big Mac.”

“Eeyup.” Twilight closed the door with a smile and left it unlocked for Spike.

“Eeyup,” she said aloud. “I wonder if that’s how his dad said it or if he just added the extra double e on his own.” Twilight took the untouched celery back into the next room and put it back in the pantry. “This wasn’t the most ideal way things could have gone, but all in all it went pretty well for my first date.” Twilight momentarily froze when she heard herself say that. Date, it wasn’t a date was it?

They hadn’t gone anywhere or bucked so it didn’t sound like any date she had ever read about. Why did she say that? Twilight put the plate away and started walking to her bed. The more she thought about everything that had happened she tried harder and harder to convince herself it was just two friends talking. But when Big Mac invited her over to the farm, the way he jumped on her coming tomorrow. Was it really?

Twilight decided to go to bed early, there was too much on her mind to star gaze. As she crawled into bed a question hit her that nearly made the world silent. Did she want it to be a date? Twilight thought about it, she had never been in a real relationship before. A pony here or there popped up that she had a crush on, but Big Mac…

Big Mac wasn’t what she would of thought would be her special somepony. He was smart, and funny, and well read, and strong, but…but he was Big Mac. What would Applejack say if she found out, what would Rarity say? Between the two of them Twilight wouldn’t get a moments peace. Rarity would follow them around and gossip while Applejack teased, or even worse, insulted there pairing. Did she really want that?

No, of course not. But that wasn’t really the question she needed to answer. What she needed to find out was weather or not she wanted Big Mac. Twilight thought back to the day Big Mac saved her from the apple cart. She still wasn’t sure how exactly he got there in time to help her, and the time in the apple orchard where he tried to play that “game”. If Twilight was right about all of this, maybe this was the first date.