• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 8,449 Views, 152 Comments

Spike's Apple Bloom - Bronymind



Twilight sends Spike to school. What he finds there may just change his perception of his childhood forever.

  • ...
19
 152
 8,449

The Walk Part 1

Spike was staring expectantly at Apple Bloom. The shocked pony stared back with huge pupils. She opened her mouth to say something - anything - but no breath escaped through her lips. She was frozen in place and didn't know what to say. She was too scared to do anything! So the little pony just sat there, inert, as the dragon continued to stare at her.

"Err, Apple Bloom, are you okay?" Spike asked in concern as he watched the filly tense up.

"Uh, yeah sure ah’m fine, now what did y’ask me 'gain?" Apple Bloom said.

Spike frowned, clearly uncomfortable with repeating the question, "I just asked if you wanted to... you know... go on a date? With me?" Spike asked once more.

"Oh, Uh, sorry, Spike,” Apple Bloom stammered. Dread welled up in Spike’s belly, “Can ah think ‘bout it at home?”

"Oh yeah, sure!” Spike said, disappointed with the indecisive answer, “I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?" Spike said, but Apple bloom had already started to gallop back to the her house.

Well that was weird.

Shrugging off Apple Bloom’s erratic behaviour, Spike headed home.


Afternoons are usually quite busy at Sweet Apple Acres, especially in the orchard where Applejack and Big Macintosh could usually be found bucking the apples from the trees.

“Applejack!” A voice called.

“Huh?” Applejack grumbled, looking around for whoever had called her name. Her eyes found a yellow and red blur rushing towards her at high speed.

"Applejackgoodthingahfoundyaineedtoaskyousomethingsocanyoupleasecomewithme?" Apple Bloom rambled as she ran towards her sister.

Applejack looked at the filly blankly, "Er, Hold yer horses, sugarcube, ah can't understand a word yer sayin’." Applejack chuckled as she tried to calm the excited filly.

“What ah was tryin' ta say was that Spike asked me out on a date, and ah don't know if ah should go or not," Apple Bloom said.

"Spike asked y’out on a date?" Applejack gasped.

"Yeah, that's what ah said," replied Apple Bloom.

“Hmm, that’s funny ah felt sure ah saw somethin’ between him an’ Rarity...” the orange mare mumbled.

“So, what should ah say?” Apple Bloom demanded.

“Ah think that’s a great-”

The sound of a stallion clearing his throat startled Applejack, and she swiveled around to face Big Macintosh.

“Oh, hey there, Big Mac," Applejack said.

"What's going on here?" Big Mac asked, unusually curious.

"Apple Bloom, here, was asked ta go on a date, an’ she can't decide if she wants ta go or not," Applejack answered.

"Apple Bloom?" Big Mac asked the filly in question for confirmation.

"Yeah, it was Spike who asked me," Apple Bloom confessed.

"Applejack,” Big Mac said softly, “Can we talk a second?”

"Er, ah guess?” Applejack asked. The pair walked just out of earshot of Apple Bloom and stopped.

"Ah want yah ta listen, now, Aj. This is something Apple Bloom needs ta decide herself. She'll figure it out. It's all just a matter of waitin’." Big Mac said tenderly.

Applejack was baffled that her brother had said so much without pausing. Usually he was so quiet, but now he seemed passionate about letting Apple Bloom decide for herself he spoke confidently.

"Aw, c’mon, big brother, yah hardly know anythin’ ‘bout it." Applejack protested.

"Ah may look like ah spend all mah time buckin’ trees, but ah do like to do other things when ah’m not on the farm," Big Mac said shyly. "And ah have experience with this kinda thing."

"Well, if yah think it be best,” Applejack said slowly, clearly unconvinced by Big Mac’s passionate speech. “Ah’ll go tell her that then, if that'll make yah happy," Applejack huffed.


The trip back to the library was fairly uneventful for Spike. Uneventful in Spike’s book, however, usually meant Pinkie Pie’s party cannon had remained unused, so the dragon’s scales managed to remain cake/confetti free for the entire journey back to the library as he tried to keep the mare occupied.

“Ooh, and did I tell you about that time I took Gummy to Ponyville lake?” Pinkie Pie chuckled and didn’t even wait for an answer before continuing, “He went in the water, and I didn’t even notice, so I was there for three hours looking for him in the lake, and when I got back to Sugarcube Corner Mrs. Cake asked where I had been, so I explained the whole story of how Gummy went in the water, and she just thought I was crazy when I said I saw a merpony! Can you believe it? The nerve of some ponies!”

Spike just allowed Pinkie Pie’s ramblings to wash straight over his head as he daydreamed of what Apple Bloom might say. His thoughts couldn’t help but dance ahead.

What if she says yes?

The dragon found himself thinking of what could happen at their date. Where would they go? Spike realized he hadn’t really planned this far ahead. To be honest, he hadn’t really been sure how Apple Bloom would react until he asked her.

“... and then I took her down to the lake at the other side of Ghastly Gorge, and we had our tents and everything! Except I also brought some cookie mixture I made earlier that day. Can you imagine the look on her face when I was baking cookies on a campfire? Mmm, they were good cookies, though.” Pinkie chirped happily as she patted her belly.

Spike didn’t bother to ask how she had managed to do that as she walked beside him on all fours.

“Oh, it looks like we’re at the library!” Pinkie Pie gasped, “Time flies when you’re having fun, huh? And I don’t need to get any books out so I can’t go talk to Twilight... I know! I’ll go bake some cupcakes and come over later! Everypony loves cupcakes!” Pinkie announced triumphantly.

“Uh-huh,” Spike mumbled dreamily.

“Okay, I’ll see you later, Spikey!” she giggled as she patted the dragon’s head.

“Bye, Pinkie.” Spike said softly as he walked through the library door. Twilight was sat at the reading table near the door and looked up as he entered.

"Oh, hey, Spike. How come you’re home so early?" Twilight asked.

"Nothing much, we had a substitute teacher called Mr. Facts come in and teach us Science, but the problems were like yours back in Canterlot," Spike replied as he went over to the unicorn to take away her empty plate from her lunch, “Ridiculously easy. You know, I think Celestia really needs to look at the whole education thing again. Pretty sure we’re still learning preschool stuff.”

“It’s probably just because you’re a clever, little dragon,” Twilight chortled, playfully nudging Spike. "You know, Mr. Facts was my 5th grade science teacher. Although I don’t know what he’s doing in Ponyville as a substitute teacher.”

“Well what did you learn with him.”

Twilight blushed, “Well he was our advanced physics lecturer, so we were learning about wavelengths, anti-phasing and frequencies. It was pretty fascinating that two magics in perfect equilibrium could cancel each other out.”

Spike blinked in response, “Hey, that’s not fair!” He complained, “He had us dropping pencils, balls, and chairs!”

“Chairs?” Twilight asked, bemused.

“Don’t ask.” Spike said with a scowl.

“Well, what else happened in your day, then?

Spike paused as he considered his answer, “Twilight can I tell you something?" Spike asked.

"Of course, Spike." Twilight said, smiling warmly.

"It's about Apple Bloom," Spike whispered shyly.

"What about her? Did she get bullied again?" Twilight asked in concern.

"No, no. It’s not like that.” Spike mumbled.

“So, what’s wrong?”

“I asked her out," Spike confessed.

"You asked her out?” Twilight gasped, bouncing excitedly from hoof to hoof. “What did she say?”

"She couldn't make up her mind, so she went home." Spike stated.

“Oh.” Twilight said, clearly disappointed. “Well, there’s always the chance she could say yes. Maybe we could invite her along with us to Canterlot tomorrow? I wouldn't mind her coming along with us." Twilight said.

"Really?” Spike gasped, “I can bring Apple bloom along?"

"Well, sure, as long as Applejack’s okay with it." Twilight added.

Spike was visibly relieved that he’d found somewhere unique for their date. As much as he loved going to Sugarcube Corner, he felt sure Pinkie Pie might somehow pick up on his interests in Apple Bloom and stir a huge scene out of him.

Wait, you two are dating? Ohmygosh! I remember this one time where I went on a date with a stallion, but after we ate fifty cupcakes, wrote a fake love letter to Celestia, flew to Candy Mountain and back, and went to a land of magical unicorns and rainbows we woke up in one of Applejack’s apple trees with paper wings and pacifiers. Unfortunately he broke up with because he said that that never happened. Some ponies can be so mean. But I don’t let it get in the way when I have great friends like you two. But now you two are dating! You’ll have to spend less time with me! If you spend less time with me then maybe we won’t be so close anymore, and if we’re not too close anymore maybe we might not be friends anymore! And if we’re not friends anymore-

“Spike?” Twilight asked in concern, interrupting the hyperactive Pinkie Pie who was hyperventilating in Spike’s head.

“Huh? Oh, yeah.” Spike replied.

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “Are you sure you’re alright, Spike? I can get you something to eat if you like?”

"No thanks, Twilight.” Spike said, a smile crossing his face at Twilight’s kindness. “I'm not really hungry at the moment. I think I'm just really tired," Spike replied. “I think I might go for a nap.”

"A nap?” Twilight gasped, “Don’t turn into Rainbow Dash, mister. I’ve yet to see her buck a cloud since our first day." Twilight chuckled.

Spike smiled as he realized he hadn't either. Usually the pegasus could be found either in a cloud or in a tree. On both counts, you’d find her napping. Chuckling, the dragon walked up the stairs and into the bedroom. He sighed as he lied down in his basket and pulled the blanket over him.

His mind was racing, and yet at the same time he was exhausted. Sleep came slowly.


"Spike! Spike! Apple Bloom’s here for you!" Twilight called up the stairs.

Her voice carried into the bedroom and grated against the sensitive ears of the young dragon. Still half asleep, he protested against the unwelcome interruption. He barely even noticed the stomping of hooves before Twilight was shaking him awake.

“Spike!” The mare yelled in his ear.

“Huh, wha?” Spike mumbled.

“Apple Bloom’s here to see you.” Twilight repeated. “You’ve slept all afternoon.”

“I did? I mean I have?” Spike gasped, glancing at the clock. It was indeed nearing evening now. The time was 5 o’clock.

“She’s waiting downstairs.” Twilight huffed impatiently, ushering the dazed dragon out of the room.

“Hey, Apple Bloom!” Spike called down the stairs. He beamed when he saw her.

"Uh, hi there, Spike," Apple Bloom said quietly.

“Would you like me to grab you a drink or anything?” He asked.

“Um, naw, ah think ah’ll be alright." The filly whispered, shuffling nervously.

“Well, I’ll leave you two alone, then.” Twilight said, awkwardly side shifting out the room and into the kitchen. Despite the fact she was clearly still in earshot (and probably had an ear enhancement spell anyway), Spike felt a little relieved once she’d left the room.

“Thanks anyway, Spike. Ah know you've been a waitin' for an answer, so ah just wanted ta say that ah'd love to go on a date with you." Apple Bloom chirped.

"Really?" Spike gasped, feeling a bubble of joy rise up from his tummy. “Look, I wanted to ask you something." Spike said, “Twilight and me are going to Canterlot tomorrow. She’s on some, er, important business... stuff with the princess, so I’m not really going to be doing anything.” Spike murmured nervously, “So I was wondering if you wanted to come with me? I mean, us. To Canterlot, I mean.”

"Canterlot?” Apple Bloom gasped, her pupils growing large at the prospect. “Tomorrow? Ah’m not sure if mah sis’ll let me go." Apple Bloom said uncertainly.

“Hey, she’s friends with Twilight. If you tell her that Twilight’s coming with us, she has to say yes.”

“Really?” The filly squealed, “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! Ah haven't been ta Canterlot since the school trip, but ah’d love ta go ‘gain.” She chirped, before muttering, “Without releasing any thousand year old villains...”

“I’ll go let Twilight know.” Spike said happily and bounced over to the kitchen.

"Alright." Apple Bloom replied. Turning around she noticed one of the bookshelves shuffling.

She frowned, "Uh, Spike?” She called, “Is that there bookshelf ‘sposed to move like that?”

She didn't even get a reply before a pink figure burst out from between the shelves.

"Oh, hey, Apple Bloom. You haven’t seen Twilight, have you? I baked some cupcakes just like I promised!” Pinkie Pie crowed triumphantly, producing a perfect cupcake seemingly from nowhere. “Huh. Where’s Spikey too? I thought they’d be here. You know, this being their library and all. Public Services, you can never trust ‘em.” The pink mare grumbled.

"Pinkie!?” Apple bloom gasped, raising an eyebrow, “How did you-? What? But... but how?" Apple Bloom was flabbergasted and unable to comprehend how she had managed to appear inside the bookshelf.

“Oh, it’s nothing special... it’s just my super secret ninja secret! I’m sworn to protect it with my life.” Pinkie announced, “And I never break a Pinkie Promise.” She turned to face some invisible audience, “I won’t let you down, Yoda!" Pinkie yelled as threw the cupcake into the air and vanished back into the shelf of literature.

“Pinkie?” Apple Bloom breathed.

“Hey, Apple Bloom. Did you call my name?” Spike asked as he walked in through the kitchen door with a plate of toast in one claw.

A cupcake sailed across the room and landed perfectly on the plate.

“Hey, how did you do that?” Spike gasped, warily eyeing the cupcake.

“Pinkie Pie.” The filly muttered.

“Oh, right.” Spike said as he rolled his eyes and walked back into the kitchen.

He reemerged a moment later and walked over to Apple Bloom, “Hey, do you want me to walk you back to Sweet Apple Acres so we can ask Applejack?” Spike asked.

“Sure!” Apple Bloom replied, bouncing over to the door, “What’re we waitin’ fer? Summer?” She giggled.

Spike laughed and opened the door for her, “Ladies first.”

“Why, thank you, kind sir.” Apple Bloom replied in her poshest accent. The pair laughed their way to Sweet Apple Acres.


"Hey there, Spike. What brings yah ta Sweet Apple Acres?" Applejack asked with a smile.

"Spike asked me if ah wanted ta go ta Canterlot tomorrow. Can I, can I, can I? Pleeeeeease?” Apple Bloom pleaded, her eyes shimmering irresistibly.

Applejack gritted her teeth resiliently, “Hmm, I don’t know. Canterlot’s an awful long way for such a small filly...”

“Twilight’s coming with us.” Spike added.

“Oh. Well, why didn’t y’all say so?” Applejack chuckled, “‘Course yah can go, ‘Bloom. But if it’s tomorrow, don’t yah need ta go get some things ready?”

“Oh yeah!” Apple Bloom gasped before turning to Spike, “Sorry, Spike, but ah gotta pack mah bag!”

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow then, Apple Bloom?”

“Sure.” The filly replied with a warm smile.

“Train station at half past nine, okay?”

“Okay, thanks Spike.”

The filly ran over and locked the dragon into a tight hug. Spike felt the purple scales on his face darken a few shades as he blushed.

And then they broke apart. It was all so brief. Spike sighed as he watched her go.

“Yah take good care of her, y’hear?” Applejack said sternly.

“O-of course, Applejack,” Spike said, a little intimidated.

The mare smiled warmly, “Well, don’t yah worry none, then. Ah’ll be sure ta get Apple Bloom up in time tomorrow,” she laughed.

“Thanks, Aj. See you tomorrow!” Spike said as he walked back to the library.

Applejack sighed as she watched the dragon walk towards the sunset. The beautiful orange remnants of the brilliant sun bled across the horizon. She inhaled a full lungful of air.

Change was coming.

Mah ‘lil sis, already found her one! Ah just hope she don't forget ‘bout us.

Change was coming, and it felt good.

Author's Note:

E/N (Vexy): Sorry for being so slow. Next chapter will be coming up much sooner than the previous ones. I have a lot more time now. :)

Please let me know if you spot any mistakes. I think I may have accidentally left a couple in there, including the Apple accent.
I = ah
to = ta
for = fer

etc.