• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 1,051 Views, 14 Comments

Stories told on the Hearth - Alchemystudent



Everypony has a story of their hearth's warming days...this is our girls

  • ...
0
 14
 1,051

It's Christmas at Ground Zero

(Dedicated to all the wonderful writers, animators, and creators of the world of FOE. and dedicated to Kkat, for taking what should be a weird idea and making it grand. Thanks for bringing light to the wasteland. Spoilers if you haven’t read the end of the story)

And that children, was another classic from the songbird of Ponyville, Sweetie Belle. Y’know, I heard stories that Sweetie wrote that song as a joke in the opening days of the war. Heh, irony can be such a little troll sometimes right, children?

This is your wonderful host, DJPON-3 bringing you the truth no matter how bad it hurts, and I want to wish all of you a happy Hearth's Warming Eve. Yes, that special time of year where we can forget about all of the bad things that have happened to us and just enjoy our lives with those we care about the most. Especially since now that we have something to celebrate about, now that the sun is back and the plants have been growing again.

Personally, though, even when the cloud cover was over our heads I had always enjoyed this time of year and would celebrate it with my assistant alone. I can remember how we would spend the time talking about what was great about this time, what we liked about the ponies we cared, and what we hoped for in the future. To us, this was a great bonding time for us all.

(A sigh of bliss and memories escapes her lips as she smiles)

Which is why I am glad that we could celebrate this holiday nationally for the first time ever. And it is all thanks to the lightbringer, Little Pip.

So let’s talk about what this holiday and what it means to me. For me, its about remembering the family that is no longer here with us. Maybe a brother is gone, or a sister and you are hoping that he/she is all right. Family is important to this time and it helps to remember that all have some that are long gone but will still be here.

A pair of brown wings gave a few stabilizing flaps in order to keep straight as they took a griffin through the sky and landing before a small gravestone. The griffin brushed a claw through her white feathers to get them straight as she walked to the grave, smiling softly. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a small bottle of ‘Flim and Flam brand hard cider’ and popped the top off, “Happy Hearth's Warming, Kage,” the female griffin said. Turning the bottle to its side, she began to pour some of it onto the grave chuckling, “Finally old enough to drink this in front of mom without her complaining and yelling at us.”

Putting the bottle to her lips, she took a small drink, “So, did ya hear about what has been happening lately? Mom got elected to the head of the NCR again, pretty kickin’ huh? Makes it kind of hard to talk to her now. Not that it has always been easy with the big hard head,” she then looked at the gravestone with a very stern look, “What do ya mean, it takes one to know one! I am not a... ok, so maybe I am sometimes. Y’know, I never expected to be a hero in all of this, I always thought it would be you. You were the better twin after all, the smart and level headed one and me-I was the roughneck. Gun first, questions second while you figure out the details. That’s why I thought we would be the best merc team ever. The entire wasteland would know of us and write our names on the walls in fear.”

Regina let out a deep sigh and scooted closer to the gravestone, “I guess they do anyway, huh? Because you never really left me alone did you? Sometimes, at night, I can feel somebody cuddling up close to me and hugging me while I go to sleep, just like you used to. When I fly, I can feel your shadow with me and when I fight, I feel you helping me shoot and watching me. I guess thats the way it is with twins, we never leave each other.”

Slowly, she stands up from the grave but not before giving the stone a hug, “I got to get going, Kage. But, I promise, I’ll be back next year and we can have more to drink then. I’m just sorry Mom didn’t show up to...” Regina stopped herself as she looked down at the grave a small red rose on the ground. A smile came to her beak as she began to realize who left it, “Mother of mom. You did come, didn’t you? You just didn’t want me to see you cry ya big softy.” Tears slowly coming to her eyes, Regina took off into the sky.


It’s a time of year where we can remember friends, past and present, who have helped us on our own little journeys. Maybe they offered you a kind word when you needed it most, or they protected you when you were hurting deep down. However they became it, they became your friend and you will never forget them.

A rust colored pegasus looked down at the ground before him, adjusting his hat as he used his wing to pick up a small photograph, “Now, what’s this then?” Taking a good look at the burnt photo, he quickly began to recognize the grey pegasus inside. Pulling back with a gasp of realization, he quickly put the photo into his saddlebag and got ready to take off. That is, he would’ve, had he not saw a ghostly green earth pony stallion walking with an orange mare with a blonde mane.


“Steel Hooves?” Asked the rust colored stallion as he ran to where the ghosts were, only to find them gone. Letting loose a chuckle he put his hoof to the back of his head and rubbed it, “Heh, must’ve been seeing thangs.” Turning around he flew off into the sky, not noticing the two ghostly figures standing underneath the tree. The green stallion turned his head to look at the orange mare and smiles at her, before leaning in to kiss her softly. The orange mare happily returned the kiss, her three apple cutie mark showing off on her ghostly form.

It’s the best time to sit back and relax and see where you are in life, and how that family of yours, no matter how small or big, has grown. Maybe you got married to somepony else or you took in a new little foal to join you. Either way, its time to look back on that and appreciate all you love.

Calamity floated himself down to a small hut and knocks on the door, taking the time to adjust his saddlebags and the photo that he had found just a few hours ago. Turning around he looked up to see a bat-pony standing in front of him, “Oh, no.”

“GREETINGS, LOYAL CALAMITY, AND WHAT BRINGS YOU HERE ON THIS FINE AFTERNOON?! PERHAPS YOU WERE THINKING OF JOINING ME AND DITZY FOR DINNER?” The stallion bellowed as his voice boomed through the air.


Watch where ya aiming that voice, will ya? I swear to the goddesses,” Calamity thought to himself as he shook his head to clear it, “Actually. Ah came to bring a gift to Ditzy, if she ain’t too busy.”

“FEAR NOT, CALAMITY, I WILL GATHER HER!! DITZY, MY DEAR, CALAMITY IS AT THE FRONT DOOR WITH A GIFT FOR YOU!” The stallion continued to boom, leaving a very dazed and shaken pegasus.”

Taking a few moments to fly to the door, a grey and slightly decaying pegasus trotted to Calamity. Cocking her head to the side, she looked at the pegasus inquisitively.

“Hey there,” Calamity said as he reached into his saddle bag to pull out a small photograph. “Ah found this while scavenging around a nearby town and Ah found this. It just didn’t feel right to keep that thing to myself and try to sell it. It belongs to you, after all.”

The grey pegasus looked down at the photo and placed her hoof to her mouth in happiness. Looking up at the pegasus before her, she quickly leapt at him and gave him a big hug. Tightly, she held him close and nuzzled his neck, “Awwww, yer welcome Ditzy.” Calamity said, before breaking from the hug and taking off.

“Momma, what did Calamity get you? Was it something pretty?” A little grey unicorn asked.

The decaying pegasus looked at the photo, her eyes filling up with tears as she looked at the grey unicorn mare in the picture. A smile came to her as she traced a hoof over the photo of her and the unicorn mare standing before a building that read “Luna’s school for gifted unicorns.” Letting go of the photo, she went over and gave a big hug to the unicorn filly, holding her tightly.


Now, I am not telling you to remember only the sad times children. That’s just not what the holiday is about, I am saying that we remember only some of the bad times and the sad times to help make the good ones... brighter. What makes this holiday, and many others like it, special and truly awesome is that it reminds us of all the wonderful things that we gained in our lives. Like love, companionship, sun, or even just the idea that your day is now just a little brighter because you have surrounded yourself with that feeling. Yeah, we don’t all have that luxury, but... at this time, you can find the people responsible for bringing that light to you and be happy that they are there.

Calamity walked through the front door his house, only to bonk his head against a low-lying plant, “What in tarnation is this?”

“That is, a mistletoe Calamity,” a charcoal grey mare said, walking to the door, “I happened to find it a few days ago. You aren’t the only one who goes scavenging around here you know.”

“So, what are ya supposed to do with it? Eat it?” Asked Calamity, looking at the little plant.

“No,” the unicorn, Velvet, objected, “When somepony stands under it, you are supposed to kiss them. Like this,” the unicorn then leaned in and gave the stallion a soft kiss on the lips.

“mmmmmmm,” Calamity moaned into the kiss before pulling away. A smile came to his lips as his wings began to spread out, “I don’t think Ah quite got it, maybe another?”

The unicorn gave a sly wink and leaned forward to give another kiss.

This is the best time to love and hold on tight to the ponies you love and remind yourself that they are some of the most cherished things in your life. Even if you haven’t seen them in a while.

A zebra with many scars on her body walked through the darkened kitchen and looks to see a small cake on the table with many candles. A smile comes to her lips as she reads, “Love you, Mom.” Slowly, she turns her head to a young zebra stirring a pot and whispers to herself, “I love you too, Xephyr.”

To be with your friends and to enjoy the great gifts that they give you, and what you have given them. No matter how small or big that gift may be.

A buttery colored pegasus flew from candle to candle, humming a soft song to herself. As she flittered to each candle she lit one to make it glow a different color in front of 5 little statuettes, “There.” She spoke softly, before backing away from the statuettes to admire their look and the way that the flames made them glow, “Happy Hearth's Warming, my friends. I miss you.”

And to appreciate all of the finer things in your life. Things like love, family, friends, and life, all the while looking towards the future. Making sure that you have left the place a little bit brighter just by being in it.


A little pink filly alicorn begins to jump around, looking at the sunset sky. A bright smile coming to her as she takes in the beauty.

Old friends, and new friends, that is what Hearth's Warming Eve is all about. The love of family and life, the gifts that we have given to each other not because it is something we have to, because we want to. Life can be hard here in the wasteland and beyond, but a small gift, even that of just existing and being a light to another pony, can help to ease that pain just by a little. I’ll leave you tonight with a small song by our lady velvet and my wonderful assistant Homage that says everything I need to say. Till New Year’s, children!”

Slowly, a light grey mare with an electric blue mane pulled away from her turned off microphone, “And what of the lightbringer? What of her?” She asked of no one in particular as she walked to a small coat rack and put on a red-cap and suit, “How will she spend the holiday season? Well, my dear friends, she will be spending it in the hooves of those she loves, being reminded each night how much she appreciates the light that she brought to the brought to the world and to that cute little assistant.” A smile came to her lips as she winked to a screen that held the image of a white alicorn. The white alicorn smiled and turned away, respecting the privacy of the two mares.

Sashaying her way across the room and into a chamber where a small pod lay, she smiled as she looked at the gifts around a small tree, “The lightbringer will be cuddled, snuggled, and told that she was probably the best gift a mare could ask for. She will be surrounded by the light of friendship and love.” With a sultry grin, the mare clicked on a button on the pod, opening it.

“Huh?” The grey unicorn asked as she woke up from the pod. Looking around, she saw the grey unicorn with a red cap looking at her with a smile, “Oh, Homage. Morning, what are you doing here?”

“Oh,” Homage purred as she crawled on top of her marefriend, running a hoof along Little Pip’s left hind leg, “I was just checking to see if my little squeaker was being a good girl, because if not... then I would have to punish you.”

“I...I...I’d like to think I have been a,” Little Pip then let out a very out squeak as she felt homage rub her thighs, with a slow moving forehoof, “good girl.”

“Well then, I guess,” Homage smirked, as she laid on top of the mare, rubbing her nose against Little Pip’s, “I’ll have to give you, your present then.”

“What type of present?” Little Pip asked, rubbing her hoof along Homage’s cutie mark.

Homage moaned a little at Little Pip’s touch, “One that lasts for a very long time.”

“For how long?” Little Pip asked, nervously.

“Until you or I get tired, which probably won’t be for a long while,” Homage giggled as she put her lips to Little Pip’s and gave her a deep and long kiss.

“Mmmmm, I like that,” Little Pip said, before looking into her lady’s soft eyes, “I love you.”

“I love you too, my lightbringer,” Homage said, rubbing Little Pip’s face, “Now... how many are we on? 31? Let’s see if I can break it before the sun rises.”

Author's Note:

I hope all you FOE fans appreciate this little tribute. I fell in love with this fanfic over the past year and this was the best way I could pay it back. At one point I wanted to put in the brith of a new alicorn foal into the story, but I couldn't work it in for the basis of new life. I also wanted to use DJPON3 as the POV character to give us some background.

And yes, I did infer that Dinky was killed in the slaughter at little big horn. It was a plot point I had read on a tumblr and liked it way to much not to use it. I was also thinking of refercing the doctor and Sparkler in that photo.

Now, what is next? Well, do they know its Christmas?