• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 1,051 Views, 14 Comments

Stories told on the Hearth - Alchemystudent



Everypony has a story of their hearth's warming days...this is our girls

  • ...
0
 14
 1,051

I will be home for hearth's warming

I will be home, for hearth’s warming

The blizzard blowed hard and firce outside of the farmhouse, cold and unfeeling. Inside, though, a young filly could feel the warmth and love from within the house from her family and the warm cup of choclate that was in her hoof. Though for her, she was very worried, “She
ll make it home ok? Wont she?” Asked Applebloom, looking up at the big red stallion next to her.

Looking down at her, a smile came across his face as he nodded and let out a, “Eeyup.” He then gave an affectionate nuzzle to her neck, “ Don't worry, she hasnt missed an hearth’s warming with us yet and she never will.” He then and turned away and left the little filly to watch the snow accumulate.

“ Please Applejack...come home soon.” Applebloom said, looking down.


________

“Buckin SNOW!” A yellow mare yelled as she shook the snow out of her hat. She had been walking away from a quick delivery run when the storm hit. Now she was forced to walk through the snowy woods without a map and that much in the way of keeping warm, “ I got to make it home soon...I promised them I would.” A look of determination was across her face as she walked, but not before she looked down at her hat. The stetson brought back a memory of a strong stallion who made a smilar promise upon the gift of the hat. A promise he would never fufill, one that left her very alone. Shaking her head she put her hat on top of her head, a look of determination on her muzzle, “ I wont do that to them! I wont break my promise no matter AAAAAHHH.” Not watching where she was going led her to fall down a small cliff and covered in the falling snow.

The snow began to fall slowly onto the young mare, not caring about the her destination or home. Just another body to cover with its unfeeling coldness.

_________


“We got to do something Big Mac! Call Celestia, anythang! She could be dead out there and we wouldnt know it!” Applebloom said, her voice breaking as the worry came over her. Her brother shook his head, as if to say ‘its covered’. He then pointed to the outside window to show 5 figures in the snow. A purple one talking to the other four, commanding with the air of a princess. A blue one in flight, moving her arms as if she was anxious to get going, a pink one looking about ready to run. A timid looking yellow one, but with a look of determination and a desire to not fail a dear friend, and a white one getting out some warm clothes. The five ponie finished their discussion and turned to go their own way. Applebloom looked on, a sad smile on her face as she watched the snow continue to fall slowly.
__________

“You know...this reminds me of a story of how a young donkey was saved by his mother from the cold by her body. The problem is, the mother died in the attempt and left the boy alone...and there aint” With a grunt she threw all of the snow off her body, shaking it all off, “NO BUCKING WAY AH AM GIVING UP LIKE THAT!” Walking with a feeling of determination on her mind she continued her trek. Looking down at her legs to make sure she wasnt frostbitten she trudged on.

Within a few moments she could see a clearing in the woods, and the warm feeling of home on the back of her neck. Realizing that the warm feeling was, in fact, breathing she turned around and leapt out of the way of a timberwolf. “Ohhh, you aint getting in my pardner...not today...ESPEICALLY NOT TODAY!” With that Applejack turned and bucked the wolf into the tree before pulling out her lasso and hogtieing it to the ground. She walked away from the trapped creature and admired her work, until she felt the sharp pain of claws along her shoulder. Turning around she saw two more wolf, both mad and very hungry. The orange mare smirked and got ready for a fight as the two wolves leapt at her.

________

“She’ll be home...she will! She...promised.” The little filly said, almost weeping at this point, “And Applejack neva breaks her promises, NEVER!” She then looked at her red bow, and began to remember a story that was told to her a long time ago.

“Well Big Mac, I am going to go to the market and make a final run.” Applejack said, straightening her hat.

Almost as if she could feel that her big sister was about to leave her, the filly in the crib began to cry, “ Looks like Applebloom has other ideas...she wants her sister to stay.” Big mac said, walking to the crib and looking down at her.

“Big Mac, Ah have to go Ah.” She then looked at the crying baby, and could feel a pang of guilt coming to her. Then, an idea came to her as she ran and got a bow out of the drawer, “ Applebloom, this is your first gift; but its also a promise.” Applejack then put the bow onto the little filly’s head, “ Its a promise that, no matter what happens to me, no matter what Ah do, Ah will always come home for hearth’s warming eve...and Ah will always come home to you. And Applejack never breaks her promises. ok?” As if to answer, the little filly stopped crying and reached out with her hooves to hug her big sis.

Whimpering, she held her bow close to her chest, not wanting to believe that her hero, the greatest mare in Equestria, would hurt her by breaking a promise. That was when she heard a knock on the door, and some singing

Ah’ll be home for hearth’s warming
You can plan on me

The door opened slowly and standing there, a few scratches and cuts along her body, was “ APPLEJACK!” Running with the speed of a rabbit, the little filly leapt at the mare and gave her a hug. Holding her tightly like she thought the moment she let go, she would lose her.

“Hey there sugarcube. Ah told you Ah would be home by this time, didnt Ah?” Applejack said, hugging her dearest gift to her tightly, a gift she would always appricate.

“There she is girls! I told you I could hear her singing from here!” A pink mare said as she bounce happily into the house.

“Glad you are allright AJ,but could you take us next time? OR at least wait for me to get the snow ready for when you get home?” Said Rainbow dash as she flew in,Fluttershy following behind her.

“Oh, Applejack you are hurt, I’ll go and get some bandages for you.” The butter colored mare said as she flew in.

“And next time Applejack, I do recommend that you go and get some clothes from meto keep warm in that horrible weather.” A white Unicorn said, coming in with a tight scarf around her.

“ Good to see you made it Applejack.” A purple unicorn said, walking in and looking down at Applebloom, “Oh and happy hearth’s warming, Applebloom.” Twilight then walked into the house, followed by Applebloom as Applejack continued to sing to herself


Following her freinds and sister, she was next tackled by Big Mac who gave her both a stern talking to and a happy hug


Applejack then walked to the couch, sat there surrounded by the things that matter the most to her, and looked at the bow on Applebloom’s head. “Ah always keep my promises...always.”

Author's Note:

I was thinking of making the day before hearth's warming to be Applebloom's birthday as well, but I didnt know if it would be too overly sweet or not. I was going to write " Happy birthday" and that was the idea behind Applebloom being Applejack's gift, but I chose not to