• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 1,326 Views, 45 Comments

The Box - Matthew Penn



Rainbow Dash has a secret box, and Pinkie Pie is determined to find out what she's hiding.

  • ...
3
 45
 1,326

The Dilemma

Have you ever kept a secret from your best friend? Have your best friend ever tried to learn what your secret was? Was his/her attempts to do so almost destroyed that friendship? This is what almost happened to a certain pink pony. There are times when some secrets are ready to be shared with everyone. Other times, most secrets are best kept hidden. Like, forever.


Our story begins on a beautiful summer day. Pinkie Pie merrily hopped to whatever direction she pleased across town. She did not know where she was going or why, but she hoped she would cross paths with at least one of her best friends. She hummed a familiar tune to herself as she did so. She lifted her head unto the sky, only to see Rainbow Dash fly through an unsuspecting cloud.

Rainbow Dash!,” she yelled. The rainbow maned pegasus looked down and saw who had called her. She happily waved back at the pink party mare. She flew down with such speed and verocity, but landed gracefully on the ground, posing with pride.

“Hey Pinkie Pie. How’s it going?”

“Everything’s great! I woke up early this morning, which is really strange because I never wake up early. Well, I do wake up early sometimes, but never at 6 am. Anyway I had chocolate-custard cake for breakfast, but Mrs. Cake was upset with me because I did and she said I should never have cake for breakfast and then Mr. Cake...”

Pinkie Pie ceased her nonsensical rambling and glanced at a small box Rainbow was holding with her right foreleg. Rainbow’s face was locked on the box, with a smile gleaming from her face.

“Hey Dashie, what’s with the box?”

“This thing? Oh, nothing important,” Dash replied. The cyan pegasus looked at her box again and let out a small laugh. This intrigued Pinkie even more.

“If it’s nothing important, why are you laughing?”

“Like I said, it’s nothing important.”

“Well, can I see? Please, please, please can I see it?” Pinkie Pie pleaded. Rainbow thought for a moment before looking at the box again. She laughed harder this time, and continued before giving her answer.

“Nah, I don’t think you’d be interested in what’s in here.”

“But the box made you laugh! And I love laughing! Laughing is my second most favorite thing to do besides throwing parties!” Pinkie reasoned.

“I’m sorry Pinkie Pie. I wish I could show you, but I cant.” A frown appeared on Pinkie’s face for the first time in months. Her poofy, cotton candy mane deflated, but not to the extent of the surprise party incident.

“Why can’t you show me?”

“Because...,” Dash brought her head closer to Pinkie’s, “... because it’s a secret.”

“A secret? Dashie, you know I don’t like it when anypony keeps secrets from me. Remember what happened last time?”

“Yeah I know, and we’re all sorry, but listen - what’s in this box, I can’t reveal to anypony. Maybe when the time’s right, you and the rest of the girls can see it, but for now - this one’s with me.”

Pinkie lowered her eyes to the ground. Her frown was becoming more visible and she felt like her heart was seconds away from exploding. She took a look at the cubical object Dash was holding. How come she doesn’t want me to see what’s inside she thought to herself. Her eyes widened as a lightbulb switched on above her head.

“Rainbow Dash! If I tell you my secrets, will you show me what’s in your box?”

Rainbow Dash gave a questioning look to the party pony.

“You? Having secrets? I find that very unlikely.”

“What do you mean? I have lots and lots of secrets! I promise you by the end - you will never look at me the same again.”

“Try me,” was all Rainbow Dash could say.

Pinkie Pie began to think. Dash was right of course, she had no secrets to keep. She was open to about almost everypony in Ponyville. But if she wanted to gain Dash’s trust, she will have to go to deep end and lie about the imaginary secrets she hold dear.

“Well for starters... do you know you’re my very best friend?”

“Pinkie Pie, we knew each other for three years.”

“Oh. Well... sometimes, I don’t like it when I’m sad and lonely.”

“I already knew that too.”

“Um... I have an unhealthy addiction to sweets and parties?”

Rainbow Dash yawned at that statement. Pinkie was losing her. Desparate times calls for desparate measures some would say.

“Okay, okay, how about this?” Pinkie shifted her eyes to make sure nopony was near them. “I can’t tell my left from my right,” she whispered to Dash’s ear.

“Really? Wow. You hide it so well,” Dash said surprised. A smile began to expand on Pinkie’s face.

“And my mane? Made from real cotton-candy!”

“I knew it!” Dash exclaimed.

“Sometimes, I like to pretend the Cake Twins are my foals,” Pinkie said with joyous glee.

“... why?”

Pinkie was in the clear. If she kept this up, Dash would reveal what’s in her box in no time. She tried to come up as many secrets as she could. Out of nowhere she pulled out a lounging chair and motioned Rainbow Dash to sit and gave her a bag of popcorn and a soft drink. This could take a while...



•----------


“... I sometimes see things that aren’t really there, I had an existential crisis while watching paint dry, I have dreams of becoming a winged unicorn, I have a crush on Big Mac, I might be schizophernic, I think Mrs. Cake cheated on Mr. Cake, a lot of the stallions here don’t feel comfortable around me for some reason...”

A few hours passed since Pinkie had began revealing her “secrets” to Rainbow Dash. The cyan pegasus sat there, mezmerized by the words that came from the pink mare’s mouth. She thought she really knew Pinkie Pie until now.

“... And at night, I check under my bed for monsters, and right now, I’m wearing my protective Anti-Discord undergarments! You can’t see them, but they’re there.”

Rainbow’s mouth was agape. Never before was she exposed to a large amount of secrets in a span of three hours. She snapped out of her trance and stared at Pinkie with wonder.

Wow. You think you know a pony.”

Pinkie Pie smiled at Rainbow and waited patiently for her to reveal the contents of her box. Rainbow could feel her blue irises trying to desparately dig deep into her soul. Before she could react she looked down at her box. She almost forgot her end of the deal.

“Um, yeah, about the box... uggh, I still can’t show you.”

WHAT! After all the secrets I told you?!”

“Look, Pinkie Pie, I just don’t think you’re going to like what’s inside the box.”

“But... you said you show me your box,” Pinkie said sadly.

“I didn’t say I’ll show you what’s inside the box. You assumed I was going to reveal it to you. Besides, if you see what’s in it, you would freak out like a maniac.”

“But Dashie,” Pinkie pleaded. She wrapped herself around one of Dash’s hindlegs.

“No Pinkie!” Rainbow floated a few feet into the air and shook Pinkie off her leg. She watched Pinkie land on her flank and stood beside her. She held the box with her forelegs as the rays of the sun shined a heavenly glow on it.

“The contents of this box must not be seen by anypony other than me! To allow anypony else to look will break the sacred code the Secret Society of... uh... Secrets! My mind works differently than yours Pinkie Pie. While you may be an open door, my mind is a 135 puzzle you try to complete but get real frustrated so you give up. Do you understand, Pinkie? Pinkie?”

Her hooves felt empty. She saw a pink dot miles that was running at full speed. Rainbow spread her wings and took to the sky, determine to catch the box thief. The mares chased each other across town, frightening the townsponies. As Pinkie bounced from one building to another, Rainbow crashed through them. At one point, Pinkie hid herself in Roseluck’s cart of roses, only for Rainbow Dash to lift the cart and throw it on the ground. The cyan pegasus dug through the pile of roses, but Pinkie was nowhere to be seen. Rainbow became angry/worried, and flew at supersonic speed, past a block of hay. Pink legs popped from the block of hay and tiptoed to another direction, much to the confusion of the other ponies.

Ah ha!

Rainbow used her superbreath to blow on the haycube, revealing Pinkie. She ran as fast as she could, carrying the box with her.

You can’t hide from me forever!”, Dash yelled at Pinkie. The pink pony ignored her words and increased her speed. Pinkie noticed a brick building coming up to her, forming a dead-end. She looked back and saw Rainbow hot on her tail. As Pinkie approached the building, she ran upwards, defying all laws of physics. Rainbow flew upwards, while at the same time marveling at the feat performed by Pinkie Pie.

The chase was now on the roof. Pinkie stopped running when she realized it was a fifty-feet drop. She was cornered by a very frustrated pegasus. She gulped, preparing herself for the worse.

“Pinkie Pie! Give me the box back, now!”

“I can’t Rainbow! I have to see what’s inside!”

“You can’t see what’s inside! It’s dangerous!”

Pinkie held the tightly to her. Rainbow Dash was glaring at her, preparing to make the next move. Pinkie slowly opened the lid, until Rainbow pushed her. The party pony plummeted to the ground, screaming as she did so.

“Pinkie!”

Rainbow flew down to her rescue and caught her just in time. She slowly lowered her pink friend to the ground. Rainbow then pinned Pinkie to the ground, making sure she did not escape.

“Why did you steal my box?!”

Pinkie struggled but gave up. It was no use.

“I’m sorry Dashie. It’s just that... well, I knew you wouldn’t let me see it, that’s why I stole it.”

“I told you a dozen times you’re not ready see inside the box. I mean, I was going to let you see it someday, but after what you did, I change my mind! You are never allowed to see the box!

Hearing those words broke Pinkie’s heart. Her mane completely deflated, and looked as though she were about to cry. Rainbow turned her back to her, ignoring her sad, little whimpers. Pinkie continued to cry her eyes out and water formed around her from her tears. Rainbow looked back and saw how sad Pinkie was. She cooled down a little and wrapped her hoof around her.

“Pinkie, look, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you. I was worried is all.” Pinkie stopped crying. What did she mean she was worried?

“I didn’t want you see because I was afraid of your reaction. I don’t tell anypony this, but... I keep a lot of secrets. And If this one got out... lets just say Discord taking over the world won’t be the worst thing that’s happened.”

Pinkie wiped her tears. Her hair slowly inflated to its original form, but she was still upset.

“But you’re still not allowed to see it. Well, not yet. When the time is right, I show you what’s in the box. Okay?” Pinkie was not sure how to respond, but she had no choice but to respect Dash’s decision. She wiped away the remaining tears from her eyes and gave her a hug. As of now, all was well with the world. Pinkie and Dash spent the remainder of the day together. Every now and then Rainbow would look inside the box and get a quick laugh, much to Pinkie’s distraught. One way or another, she will look inside the box.


——————





The day came to an end, and the moon rose above the sky. Rainbow returned to her home that floated above Ponyville while Pinkie returned to her room in Sugarcube Corner. All night, she could not sleep. She still thought about the box - what was inside that Dash did not want her to see? Why did she not want her to see it? And most importantly, have she shared the contents of the box with the girls?

“Gummie, this is serious,” she said to her unconcerned baby alligator... lizard... thing. “I know we agreed that I will never look at the box, but this isn’t right. I’m Rainbow Dash’s best friend! Why does she want to keep something like this away from me?” She put a hoof on her chin as various answers came into her mind. “Maybe... what if she has a super-powerful ring that gives her lots of power! Wait, all the rings in Equestria have been destroyed. Maybe she’s diamond thief! No, Rainbow Dash would never steal anything. What if... she has a head of another pony. Or worst... it’s that embarrasing snapshot of me AT THAT HEARTH’S WARMING EVE PARTY!” The horrifying feeling traveled throughout her body and she screamed in terror.

“... Pinkie Pie, go to sleep,” Mr. Cake called out from another room. She couldn’t take anymore. She jumped out of her bed and paced around her room, eager to find a solution to this ordeal.

“I gotta find out what’s in that secret box, Gummie! Aww, but Dashie’s at home now! And I can’t walk on clouds. What am I gonna do?” She slumped back into her bed. She buried her head under her pillow and she stayed like that for a moment. She sat back up when an idea formulated.

“If I can’t get her to tell me her secret, maybe I find a way to force her to tell me. But how? I know! I’ll go ask Twilight tomorrow! And she cast a truth spell or something! Yeah that’s it!” Pinkie hopped her room, excited for the newly formed plan. “What do you think, Gummie?”

“...”

“That’s great!”


—————



Pinkie Pie hopped all the way to Twilight’s library. She could already see the outcomes in her head like a dream. As she got close to her destination, she paused and thought about her plan for a few minutes. She pulled out a notepad and began to go over the details:

1. Have Twilight cast a “truth spell” on Pinkie
2. Get close to Rainbow Dash
3. ?????
4. The Box

“Hm. I really should have put more thought into this one. Oh well!” She hopped to the front door and knocked repeatedly. The door open to reveal our favorite lavender unicorn. She was much surprised to see the pink party pony on her doorstep early this morning.

“Pinkie Pie, you’re up early this morning. What’s the occasion?”

“Oh, nothing. I just came to say hi,” replied Pinkie. An awkward silence filled the air.

“Well, hi,” Twilight said uncomfortably. “Is that all you came to do?”

“Oh wait! I need you to do me a big favor! A really, really big, huge, gigantic, humongous, favor!” Pinkie was uncomfortably close to Twilight’s face. The unicorn used her magic to ease Pinkie back a few inches.

“What did you want to do? You hardly ask me to do any favors.”

“I know, it’s just that Rainbow Dash is keeping a secret from me and I really want to know what it is and I want you to enchant me with some kinda spell that makes ponies tell the truth.”

“Rainbow is keeping a secret from you? That is very strange. Why would she keep a secret from you?”

“That’s what I wanna know! So can’t you just do your magic thing and enchant me with something?”

Twilight thought for a moment to consider her actions. On one hoof, keeping a secret from Pinkie Pie is something that nopony should ever do, or else the consequences will be dire. On the other hoof, maybe Rainbow Dash has a good reason to keep a secret from Pinkie. They’re not sure what Dash’s personal life is like, and maybe what she’s keeping from her is something she rather not talk about.

“Pinkie, don’t you think you’re being over-dramatic. I think the secret she’s keeping from you is very personal.”

“Personal?! Twilight, she laughed! Laughed! Her secret was kept in a box, and she laughed!

“Okay, maybe it’s not very personal, but I do believe she has a good reason to keep it from you. Maybe she’s just waiting for the right time to show it to you.”

“That’s what she said! Twilight, you have to help me! This is driving me crazy and I need to know what she’s keeping from me! I love to laugh! Ha, ha, ha see? I love laughing!” The pink pony was close to her face again. No matter how she reasoned, Pinkie would not take no for an answer. Twilight let some air out of her lungs and walked toward a bookshelf.

“Okay, Pinkie, If you really want to know Rainbow’s secret, then fine. I’ll help you.”

“Oo goodie! Thank you, Twilight, thank you, thank you, thank you!” Pinkie gave the lavender unicorn the biggest hug she ever gave to anypony. When she finished Twilight caught up with her breath and preceded to levitate a book from the top shelf. It was a usual spells and encantations manual, with the spells perfectly memorized in her head (well, most of them). She levitated the book to a nearby desk and opened it to a specific chapter.

“Let’s see. Here we are - The Omnitruth Spell. It says here that anypony enchanted with the spell can make another pony reveal a deep, dark secret or any kind of secret for that matter. All you have to do is to touch them, then the spell posses them.”

“That’s exactly what I need!”

“Are you sure you want to go through with this, Pinkie? You said a long time ago that betraying a friend’s trust is the worst thing that could happen.” Twilight was right, of course. Pinkie thought about the consequences of invading Dash’s privacy. Now she was starting to feel really bad, but she can’t shake the thought that what was in Dash’s box has something to do with her.

“Please, Twilight, I need you to enchant me. It’s the only way I can know for sure. Besides, she already betrayed my trust by keeping a secret from me.”

“... Okay, Pinkie. If you really want to.” Twilight looked back at the book for more information. When she finished, she motioned Pinkie to stand at the center of the room and stand still for a few minutes. She concentrated her magical energy to her horn. The horn had the familiar purple glow. A stream of white light hit Pinkie with tremendous force. She was in a daze but soon snapped out of it.

“Pinkie Pie! Are you alright?”

“I... I don’t know. Did it work?”

“I’m not sure.”

Pinkie looked at her hooves and then at Twilight... then back at her hooves... then back at Twilight.

“Pinkie, what are you --”

A pink hoof touched the side of her face. Twilight’s purple irises turned yellow; she seemed to be in a trance.

“Twilight, whose the pony you admire the most?”

“Princess Celestia, of course! She’s smart, kind, beautiful, and just an amazing friend. I wish she could see me more than just her student. Someday, I hope the two of us --”

Pinkie removed her hoof before Twilight said anything elese. Her irises were purple again, and she looked as though she had woken from a deep slumber.

“Uhh... what happened?” Pinkie bounced circles around Twilight. She was annoucing to the entire library that the spell worked. Twilight’s eyes widened. She realized what just happened to her. “Pinkie Pie... what did I just say to you? Pinkie Pie?

“Thank you, Twilight! Thank you, thank you sooo much! I don’t know what I ever do without your help! Now to find Rainbow Dash and end her web of secrets and lies once and for all!” With a single bound, she disappeared from the library. Twilight was bewildered at the preceding event. She just told Pinkie her deepest secret and she had not realized it. She didn’t feel like moving. She just wanted to stand there.

“Hey, Twilight. What’s with all the ruckus?” Spike asked. She remained silent. “Twilight? Twi? Helloooo?” Spike waved his hand and snapped his claws. Nothing. “Oh no! You must have had a visit from your future self again! What happened this time?







TO BE CONTINUED