• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 3,441 Views, 49 Comments

Scootaloo's Secret - FightingOreo



Scootaloo was always a little bit different. Her pupils are slightly bigger, and she's the only pegasus in school that can't fly. Her constant need for speed poses another question however: What exactly is she running away from?

  • ...
6
 49
 3,441

Chapter 2

Scootaloo’s large eyelids slowly rose up her face, despite her best efforts to remain asleep. She rolled over in her bed, in a last-ditch effort to force herself back to sleep. Alas, her eyes remained firmly open, and she reluctantly admitted defeat. As she rolled over the side of the bed, her wings flapped furiously, to try and keep her from falling. Instead, she stuck her front right hoof on the ground, and stood up on the floor of her bedroom. Flying Breeze poked his head in the door curiously, and blink-blinked a few times. “You ready for school kiddo?” He asked, taken aback by the fact that Scootaloo was already in her school clothes.
“Yeah, I slept in my clothes so that I could sleep in this afternoon”
“Morning, sweetie”
“Yeah... morning”

“But if you don’t hurry up and get to school, it’ll be afternoon by the time you get there! Come on, up and at ‘em!
Scootaloo walked into their rather small kitchen, and peered into the pantry. “Ah. There they are.” She said as her dad pointed out the Wheat-bites on the bench, with a small carton of milk next to them. She stuck a hoof-full of wheat in her mouth, and took a gulp of milk, allowing the dry wheat to mix with the milk in her mouth. After 20 minutes of this long process, Scootaloo decreed that she was nourished and ready to begin the day. She just had to find her scooter.

Scootaloo was excellent at being fast. Some had said that it was because her brain moved at a mile a minute, however her dad thought she merely liked going fast. As usual, her dad was right. Scootaloo liked going fast so much, that she almost beat Rainbow Dash in a race. If she hadn’t been distracted by the ponies at the finish line, she probably would have won. Sadly, however good Scootaloo was at speed, she was below average in balance. As she sped up on her scooter, she failed to notice how far she was leaning to the right. As her scooter finally tipped over, Scootaloo found herself inexplicably falling through the air... before being encased in a warm fuzzy feeling, and hovering above the ground by about 3 inches.

“NNNGGGHHH!” Sweetie Belle groaned, as her horn stopped glowing and she fell to the ground, utterly exhausted. “Sweetie Belle! Are ya’ll okay?” A familiar accent rang out. As Apple Bloom ran over to Sweetie Belle, she got up sporting an enormous grin and the unmistakable stance of pride. “Check it out! Rarity taught me how to levitate things!” Sweetie Belle said excitedly, as the trio resumed walking/riding to school together.

“So anyway, Applejack and Big Macintosh are working the fields, and then Granny Smith starts screaming something, only we can’t tell what she’s saying!” Apple Bloom whispered conspiratorially. “So what happened next?” Scootaloo whispered, equally excited as Apple Bloom to finish her story. “And it turns out, she’s still sleepin’ and she was just havin’ a nightmare!” Apple Bloom finished up her story with a pose, before losing her straight face and rolling around on the ground. “Wait... grown-ups have nightmares too?” Scootaloo asked, confused. “Well, yeah!” Sweetie Belle answered her, having had the unfortunate experience of having to comfort Rarity when her sister had another dream about Blueblood splashing mud all over her favourite dress. “But I thought they were like, invisible!” Scootaloo exclaimed dramatically, waving her arms around for emphasis. “You mean invincible? Sweetie Belle smirked to herself, amused by her friends mistake. “Yeah! Invince-agility! She exclaimed, extremely proud of herself. “You mean-“ Sweetie Belle began, only to be deterred by Apple Bloom’s elbow. “Let it slide, Sweetie Belle. Let it slide.”

Meanwhile, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were also walking to school. “Well, I wouldn’t normally be walking, but daddy’s limousine broke down and now I have to walk. It is so demeaning! Wouldn’t you agree, Silver Spoon?” Silver Spoon, who walked to school every day, bent her head down and made a barely perceptible nod. Most ponies misinterpreted Silver Spoon’s and Diamond Tiara’s friendship, mistaking them for equals. In reality, Silver Spoon was just as much a victim as the cutie mark crusaders, if not more. Diamond Tiara was a rather forceful friend, and whenever Silver Spoon walked or talked with someone else, she would threaten her ‘friend’ into submission.
So Silver Spoon silently waited for someone to come and save her from Diamond Tiara, and nodded along with everything that she said. If Diamond Tiara asked her how she got her cutie mark, she would give her the same story she gave everyone. “I got it when I was really small, when my daddy gave me a small silver spoon as a present.” Silver Spoon was an extraordinarily good liar, and managed to convince nearly everyone of this story. Nearly everyone.

Scootaloo looked around her erratically, not really looking at anything in particular. She watched a small bunny for a while, until it disappeared behind a bush and she lost interest. She stared at a funny looking pegasus stallion, who also had tiny wings like her. As they made eye contact, she shrunk down behind her scooter, and the white stallion shrugged and bought his new set of weights. “YEAH!” He screamed and flexed his muscles as the mare behind the counter attempted to peer around him to see if there were any more customers. Scootaloo moved around, to hide behind her friends. All three of them slowly shuffled further away from the white stallion. Thankfully, Apple Bloom was there and caught Scootaloo as she fell.
“Do ya’ll think she’s okay?” Apple Bloom whispered to Sweetie Belle. “She’s fine!” Sweetie Belle said, although her voice betrayed her. “Do you think she'll be able to come to the cutie mark crusader sleepover tonight?” She continued, her mouth wilted in disappointment. “Yeah, when does Scootaloo ever miss a sleepover?” Apple Bloom reassured her, to Sweetie Belle’s delight. “YAY! We’re going to have so much fun! We can be cutie mark crusader... mechanics! We could build a robot, or a... robot!” Apple Bloom sighed in exasperation.