• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 1,112 Views, 71 Comments

Trials of the Republic - TheDarkNight775



I leave the tale of the foundations of the mighty and glorious Republic to others. I merely tell the tale of the conflict that followed. (Steampunk Humanized Universe) (I swear this is NOT a Star Wars crossover!)

  • ...
9
 71
 1,112

The Loss

Chapter 5
The Loss
Sorry I've been gone so long. Had- Issues. We'll leave it at that.
Well, we're back to Princess Luna's side of the pond, And we have an interesting two cahapters for you.
If you're interested, here's the music I listened to for the typing of this chapter. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOuHOReYl9U)


The air-raid siren blared in Luna's ears, wailing, screaming. Her feet ponded the ground as she somehow managed to run full-tilt through the morass of bustling, yelling, cat-calling soldiers, towards the center of camp, the command center, and most importanly, the six-story tall lookout post.
Captain Lodestone and his two companions followed her, trailing in the path she cleared through the camp.
"Prepare thy weapons!" she called back to the three men following her, and listened to the various clicks and snaps as they loaded and otherwise prepared their weapons.
They soon arrived at their destination. Captain Lodestone signaled the two marines to guard the door, and dashed up the stairway after the princess. Both were at the peak of physical fitness, and neither way in any way weary after sprinting up six flights of stairs.
Reaching the top, they skidded to a halt. There were already two occupants in the lookout tower, both women.
One of them, a slender Peusi with spiked orange hair, snapped to attention. "Princess!"
"At ease, Air Marshal." Luna said, nodding curtly. "What's the situation?"
"We have an incoming airship, Solar Empire colors." Air Marshal Spitfire replied. "Orders?"
Luna hesitated slightly.
"Bring it down, Air Marshal. Tell the Anti-air batteries to open fire."
"But Princess!" twilight cried. "What if..."
We do not sense any of the Elements abourd that airship, Twilight Sparkle." Luna said. "We cannot risk letting a Solar Empire vesselbreach our perimeter on the off chance there art one of thy friends abord without thy Element."
"But-"
"Give the order, Air Marshal."
Spitfire nodded and tapped the button to open a radio channel to the Fire Control Center.
"Open fire on the incoming vessel." she said calmly.
She herself had qualms about giving the order.
What if Soarin' was on that ship?
Her own friend. The best she'd ever had. Faithful, loyal-
But she had a duty to her Republic and her Princess. And she would fufill it, no matter the cost.
The four of them watched as the guns began to thump and black blooms filled the sky around the airship. The ship steamed on towards them, seemingly heedless of the danger. Luna frowned.
There was a disturbance in the fabric of the world.
Probing deeper, she felt something unnatral in the undercurrents of magical energy in the area. The air was behaving unnatrally, pushing the shells away.
Her mind raced. Some fiendish new Solar Empire contraption? Dark magic?
There was a solution.
"Twilight." she gestured at the young Magii to come closer. The girl complied, and Luna whispered something in her ear. Twilight's eyes grew wide.
"I can't do that!" she gasped.
"You must." Luna replied. "If you love your Republic, Twilight. If you love me, you must."
Closing her eyes, Twilight began to mutter under her breath, tracing arcane symbols in the air with deft, practiced gestures. The signs glowed and sparked in midair, circling around the purple-haired girl. Beneath her fluttering eyelashes, her eyes began to glow bright white.
Suddenly, the glowing runes lit with purple fire, and all spiraled around her hands, coalesing into a crackling purple fireball.
She turned her face away.
"I- I can't do it..."
"You must."
Tears fell from her eyes. Luan knelt next to the young Magii, placing a gentle hand on her sholder.
"You can do it, Twilight, You have to do it."
With a scream, Twilight lept to her feet and flung the fireball at the incoming airship. As it crackled towards the ship, she fell to her knees, sobbing.
"I've never used my magic to hurt anyone before..." she sobbed.
Luna's eyes were kind and understanding.
"War makes us all do things we do not want to, Twilight Sparkle. Dost thou think we enjoy killing? We wouldest have done it ourselves, but we are not strong in combat magic."
Twilight closed her eyesand nodded, tears dripping from her eyelashes and falling down her cheeks.
Luna watched the fireball arce through the air, then explode directly in front of the airship. it was obvious the ship was damaged.
She felt soiled as the ship began to plummet. Had she really just sacrificed her friend and comrade's innocence?
But there had been no choice.
"Princess!"
Luan's head jerked up at Spitfire's shout.
"What is it, Air Marshal?"
"A Solar Empire force is attacking us on our right flank!"