• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 3,925 Views, 406 Comments

When The World Bets Against You - Tie RoamingHooves



Twilight Sparkle is trapped in the body of a human who in turn, has taken her own and disappeared with it. Nopony believes her: not her brother, friends, nor mentor. She is being interrogated and asked a single question: Where is Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
23
 406
 3,925

Of Family And Fireworks

“Hey! Give that back you little runts!” the twins laughed with glee and ran off with Ashley’s data pad. The former grunted in annoyance and got up from the picnic table. However they managed to get out of the crowd so fast was beyond her but it didn’t matter.

Ashley focused and took a deep breath. “Ishlavi.” she voiced in her head while she released the air she took into her lungs.

Tanner and Tommy’s squeals of excitement dissipated and were replaced with groans of ruined fun. The data pad was enveloped in a light brown aura just above the pair of six year olds.

“Hey! No fair! Give it back!” the two shouted as they tried to jump after it. Each time they were close enough to touch it it moved upwards. Tommy stopped and pointed an accusing finger at the mage as she walked over victoriously. “You cheated! You used magic!”

Ashley grabbed the device from the air and grinned smugly. “Nuh uh. Tanner can use magic too but he didn’t.”

It would have been hard to tell the difference between the two of them if it weren’t for the shirts. The lack of light due to the time of day didn’t help either. They had the same blonde hair, the same hazel eyes and they were even missing the same front tooth. The shirts they were wearing however was the only thing not identical about them. Blue for Tommy, and red for Tanner.

“So! You know I can’t do magic like you can! You’re older than me!” Tanner joined his brothers side and tried reaching for the data pad but Ashley held it above her head. He crossed his arms and pouted.

Ashley smiled and looked down at them. “Age has nothing to do with it, little ones. It takes time, patience, and lots of practice.”

The twins completely abandoned their arguments the moment she called them the most unholy of things.

“We’re not little!” Tanner protested.

“Yeah! What he said!” Tommy finished.

“Of course you aren’t. Your big boys!” Of all things, Ashley did not want to touch that subject. Unfortunate things happen when someone calls the twins “little”. “Why don’t you run along and shoot off fireworks like everyone else... and STOP taking MY stuff.”

“We can’t.” they said in unison.

“Why not?”

“Mom said so.” Tommy whined.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ll talk to her and see if I can change her mind.” she began. The twins faces lit up like a light bulb but Ashley wasn’t finished. “But... I want you to stop talking my stuff. Do we have a deal?”

The two looked at her for a moment before turning around and whispering with each other. One of them threw up their arms while the other made other unknown gestures. With a final nod the two of them turned back.

“Ok.” Tommy answered.

“Alright you two go somewhere while I talk some sense into your mother.”

There was no time for a response because Tanner slapped the back of Tommy’s head and ran. Tommy took off in pursuit of his brother leaving Ashley to her own devices. With her data pad safe she turned back to the park shelter.

The sleek grey metal roof stood on two supporting struts. It covered a large and flat cement slab that a few rows of picnic tables rested on. Streamers and colored lights hung above the people that occupied the structure adding to the lively and upbeat atmosphere. It’s exactly how it should be after all. It’s Independence Day.

Ashley’s entire family annually flocked to Chicago this time of year for the family reunion. Every year, the park they rented out just for the occasion was crowded.

She made her way towards the shelter and sighed because she would have to fight the crowd to get back to her seat. Just before she started walking she jerked her head back narrowly avoiding a rogue artillery shell. The rogue celebratory explosive hit a tree and exploded over an impromptu football game. No one was injured thankfully but she turned her head to see who the assailant was.

A black haired teenage boy in a black jacket had a hand over his mouth trying to contain his laughter. Next to his foot was a smoking launch tube knocked on its side.

“Damnit, Shawn! Watch it! I could have died!”

“Whoa, calm it sis. You wouldn’t die. It would have just hurt... A lot. You’re tough, I’m sure you could take it.” he dismissed with a wave of his hand.

Ishlavi.

A nearby cup splashed its contents on her brother making it look like he’d wet himself.

He glared at Ashley while she only gave an innocent smile in return. “That was uncalled for.” he said in annoyance. “Je’hem!” he grunted while snapping his fingers above his right hand. A small flame lit over his right palm and he knelt down and held it close to his wet pants.

Ashley looked at him like he was stupid. “You know that’s probably not the best way to dry out your pants.”

Before Shawn could mount a response his pants caught on fire in the worst possible place. He panicked and started blowing on the fire until another cup in his vicinity emptied its contents on him.

He gave her a flat look. “I’m gonna get you.”

“In your dreams. I don’t think you can get me if I were to oh, let’s say in my own apartment. Why?” Ashley walked over to him and pinched his cheeks. “Becuase, I’m an adult and you’re still my itty bitty little brother!”

Shawn slapped her hands away. “Two years! I will be in two years!”

“Welp, have fun then.” Ashley walked away and was in front of the park shelter again. The twins ran by with sparklers so that problem solved itself. She could finally sit and read. Ashley made her way through assorted relatives and found an empty table away from most of the activity. Behind her somebody set off a roll of firecrackers and it made her jump. Ignoring it, she sat down and put a finger on the screen of the data pad making it light up.

The light, however, was odd. It was a yellowish white and seemed to be getting brighter. The sound of the firecrackers didn’t cease either. She tried to put her hands over her ears to block out the sound but found she suddenly lacked the strength to do so.

At the end of that very thought, her surroundings changed and pain consumed her senses. The light turned out to be the sun. Her head then dropped without the required amount of energy to hold it up longer. Ashley could see figure down a dirt street. It was a pony. She was laughing.

Ashley’s vision grew dark around the edges and she couldn’t tell what was happening. She couldn’t remember either. It hurt to think. Everything hurt. Her vision grew darker and what she could see started to blur. She could only make out a figure kneeling in front of her.

Her eyesight failed but her hearing hadn’t yet. From what she could tell, it sounded like fireworks. Everything soon faded into silence and everything went numb.

Author's Note:

I got the urge to delve a little bit into Ashley. I want to do something special when we get back into it with the humans. I don't know what I'll do but it'll blow your socks off. Hopefully.


Making stir fry with ramen noodles,

-- RoamingHooves--