• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 3,925 Views, 406 Comments

When The World Bets Against You - Tie RoamingHooves



Twilight Sparkle is trapped in the body of a human who in turn, has taken her own and disappeared with it. Nopony believes her: not her brother, friends, nor mentor. She is being interrogated and asked a single question: Where is Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
23
 406
 3,925

Abide With Me; Abide With The Vulnerable

The lavender unicorn looked the moon in the distance through the cold iron bars of a high window. It was you average stone cell. She thought she felt bad before... but it’s honestly never that simple is it. Nothing... nothing ever is. There’s always going to be something else that can’t be planned for that’ll come up.

She’d thought that she’d only momentarily derailed some random beings life by taking their body. After that she never really gave it much more thought than that. It was highly possible that at the time, she subconsciously didn’t want to think about it because she sure doesn’t want to now.

The large white pony narrowed her eyes and deepened her gaze at the unicorn. “I’m not going to argue or try to defend myself against you.” The alabaster pony clenched her eyes shut trying to stop the flow of fresh tears but was unable to thwart their escape.

She opened her eyes and looked into Ashley’s eyes with and started to speak with hurt in her voice. “I only want you to know that solely because of you, my student, the one I considered a daughter was tortured because of mistaken identity.”

Hot tears ran down her face and she turned to the silent armor clad ponies in the doorway. “Guards, please just take her away.”

Ashley tried not to feel any kinds of pity for the pony with the erethral. She’s bad because she inadvertently is responsible for the death of everything she knows and love, right? But alas, her logical side as well as her conscience worked against her. She’s still a person... well pony, it they told her. She felt the smallest bit of pity for the one who killed every person on earth with a simple order and hated herself for being the caring type. As much as she liked to consider herself to be tough, she knew she was just as soft as her eight year old sister, Samantha, in some aspects.

She felt a small amount of pity towards the alabaster pony, sure, but the rest of it went out towards the pony whose life Ashley had uprooted. The rest of her pity went to this “Twilight Sparkle”. She also felt guilty. She... she had uprooted someone’s life and gotten them tortured or something like that. Even if it were towards the effort of saving earth, it didn’t make her feel it was any less wrong for her to do so. What, if she had family, friends or children that are worried about her? What if she had disrupted and destroyed a family...

Ashley then stopped thinking. At the thought of family she realized she’d never see hers again. Her mother died when she turned twenty-two but she still had her father. She’ll never see him again. She’ll never get to see her sisters again, either. Nor her friends, or anybody else ever again, for that matter. She was truly alone for the first in her life. She usually had her family there for her, if not friends, but now she didn’t even have that. It was only her betting against the world at this point...

She continued to solemnly stare at the moon and she then felt compelled to look for the voice recorder and tell of the days events. It was required for her to do so every day by the scientific team behind this mission to make sure she was sane. They’d then open up a small portal momentarily, that’d consume little energy, to allow a signal through to receive that recording and the officials back home would deem if she’s fit to continue. It was a pointless measure because they obviously didn’t have a way of getting her back if it took so long to open a large enough portal anyways.

Regardless... she still felt compelled to go over what today’s, or since she was knocked out it could be a couple of days, events. It was a habit now. A habit she didn’t feel like breaking either because it helped calm her nerves to some degree. She looked around for a nice spot to lie down in. There was not bed, only a pillow and a blanket that had been tossed into her dark cell.

It was better than nothing...

Ashley lied down on the blanket and levitated the pillow with her magic putting it in between her head and hooves. She was still facing the window and noticed the sky was getting brighter meaning it was closer to being morning. She sighed and started speaking to no one in particular.

“Day... what I believe is 27... Well I guess this is it... It’s the end of all life as we know it. Good job Ashley, you failed and killed everybody. Woohoo...”

Ashley threw up her hooves and waved them around in mock celebration letting the pillow fall down to occupy the space they gave up. When she brought her hooves down she allowed her head to rest upon them. She stared at her lavender hooves. God, she missed her own voice... now she was stuck with “Twilight Sparkle’s” voice and there isn’t anything she can do about it.

“I failed and I’ve apparently made some bodies life a living hell. I’ve probably hurt so many...” Silent tears began fall from her eyes. She bit her lip. “...But I don’t regret doing any of it and I’d do it again if I had to... But god, miss my family so much. I’ll never see them again. I’ll never get to see...”

The human trapped in a ponies body continued to think aloud well into the morning. Even as she thought out loud, one of these thoughts went unspoken... It was going to be a really long day...


The sun rose on this day... a day which will go down in the as longest day in both human and pony history. The goddess of the sun has learned of her sins and is stricken with grief, but she will not get a chance to think on what she’s done as the protectors of earth knock on her doorstep...

What will the solar diarch do when these protectors, are the very thing she fears most?

Author's Note:

END CREDITS MUSIC OF DOOM!!!! (Thanks Noyoki1!)

I attempted poetry and foreshadowing to the concluding chapters of When The World Bets Against You.

Everything has been done for a reason. We'll visit ol' Celly in the next chapter.


Preparing for battle,

--RoamingHooves--