• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 1,000 Views, 10 Comments

Discord's Beginning - Mr Afro Pony



She was the most beautiful creature I've ever seen in my life. And I had an appreciation for beauty...

  • ...
4
 10
 1,000

First Encounters

I don’t remember much of how I came to be, but I've lived in the forest for as long as I can remember. I learned early on that the forest was home to some of the most dangerous and hostile creatures in all of Equestria, and I seemed to fit right in. This never really bothered me in my young, naïve, and innocent years. Ignorance was bliss. That all changed the moment I saw her. A certain side effect of living in an inhospitable forest is you don’t see many guests, much less so small unicorn fillies, and yet there she was. Her long pink mane sparkled in the evening sun along with her tail. She was so young and precious; hadn’t even earned her cutie mark yet. Unaware of my presence, she walked deeper into the forest, until she came to a stop.

“UUGHH,” she shouted and stomped her hoof, “Where are those stupid herbs!”

I was quite surprised that such a powerful voice came from such a small thing. I watched from the canopy of the tree as she looked around awhile longer before giving up and heading back out of the forest. I stopped at the tree line and watched her go. I had never left the forest as I never had a reason to. Sometimes I wish I never did.

I followed the same routine over the next couple weeks when she’d enter the forest. Sometimes she would pick fruit or play with the more peaceful animals. Other times she would just relax and admire the scenery. I, for one, didn’t care. It was nice to have somepony else around, even if they didn’t know I existed.

One day in particular, she came much later than usual. At first, I thought nothing of it, but as time passed, it was clear that she had trouble navigating the dense forest in the darkness of the night. I continued to watch her as she wandered further and further away from the path, making sure no harm befell on her. Soon though she began panicking and crying. I imagine she must have been scared out of her mind. Taking pity on her, I slowly left my treetop lookout. I was maybe a few feet away when she turned around and looked right at me.

“WOAH!” she screamed as she jumping from the shock.

I backed away, shrinking away from her. I raise my arms up to indicate I meant no harm. I looked at her more closely, now that I wasn’t staring from afar and noticed a pair of wings flared in my direction. I looked back at her forehead where a horn was prominently sitting and then it hit me.

“She’s an alicorn!

I hadn’t heard much about them, except that the fearsome creatures of the forest would only whisper about them and their legendary power. I pondered this for a few seconds before she spoke.

“Hello,” she said a little shakily.

I tried to speak, but my mouth just would cooperate so I just stood there awkwardly.

“Uhh,” she started, “I’m sorry I reacted that way, I just didn’t expect to see anypony behind me,” and flashed me a pretty smile.

I still was speechless, and quite unsure what to do. I looked back up at the sky as it slowly got darker. I was a little surprised that she saw me in the gloom of the forest, but considering I didn’t know much about alicorns, anything was possible.

“Sooooo, what’s your name?” she asked innocently. I shrugged my shoulders. I didn’t really have a name. Nopony was around for me to talk to, so I never really had a use for one. I looked down at my feet and made sure to remember to ponder choosing one later.

Seeing that I didn’t have an answer she continued on, “Well, my name is Celestia and, umm,” her voice dropped to a whisper, “Do know a way out of here?” I looked up eagerly, sensing an opportunity to redeem myself. My heart caught in my throat as I stared into those big eyes that felt like they were staring into my soul.

She took a step closer, “I would really appreciate it if you told me how to leave before it gets too late.”

I couldn’t say a word because I was still gargling on my heart so I motioned for her to follow me. I took her through the forest, avoid the denser parts of the thicket until we reached the path. From there I just walked beside her until we broke the tree line.

She smiled at me, “Wow, you sure know your way around in there!” I nodded, not quite sure what to say. “Well, I need to be heading home,” she said softly. She reached out and gave me a quick hug, “Thanks!”

She released me and galloped off giggling while I just stood there waving long after she had gone. I didn’t noticed how long I’d been there until my arm got tired. I stopped and head back into the forest, hoping to see her again.

However, the next day she didn’t come. I sat and waited as days turned into weeks and weeks into months. Still I waited for her to come back. Eventually those months turned into years. I finally gave up hope.

As time progressed, I matured and became more curious about where she went after she leave my forest. I started to venture out past the border of the trees and began visiting different towns in the area. I wasn’t aware of what I was yet and thought I was the same as anypony else I met only that I looked different.

Other ponies thought differently, and I was treated like a freak wherever I went. Some days, the stares and whispers I would hear as I walked by were unbearable. I would try to find honest labor, but was turned down many times by potential employers. Most times they would claim I would scare off their customers, and I suppose they were right. The last city I ventured to was Canterlot.

At the time, the town was very young, nothing like how it’s the bustling place it eventually became. I don’t know what I expected but things weren’t much different in the Equestrian Capitol. I was still considered a freak and treated very much the same. I spent a few nights there before I gave up. I was going to pack up and go back to my beloved forest, but I needed a few supplies to get me there.

To purchase those supplies I needed money, to get money, I needed a job, and I was now back at square one. I tried a few more local businesses, to no avail and in one last act of desperation I asked an elderly fruit stand owner, known as Mr. Senile.

“So you’re looking for a job,” he asked incredulously as he looked me over, “Well as long as you get here on time and you don’t steal anything, I guess you’re hired.”

I couldn’t believe my ears. The fine older gentlecolt gave me a job. I had never felt such generosity before and because of that, I stayed a loyal employee to him.

Time had passed and soon it had been fifty years since Mr. Senile had hired me. He had long since passed away, and left the store to his younger son. Over that course of time, I realized that I aged much more slowly than the ponies around me. I watch Mr. Senile’s son grow from a young colt to a stallion while I remained young, and ever so naïve.

One beautiful summer day, the stand received an order from the King and Queen of Equestria. This was most undoubtedly the most important order we had ever received, and I considered myself lucky enough to deliver it. Looking back though, maybe I shouldn’t have. Maybe then, things would have been different.

Author's Note:

Updated: 12/11/12 8:00 PM- Made slight edits to improve reading
Updated: 12/15/12 12:18 PM-Major: changed time span from 20 years to 50 years, very important to next chapter. Also Changed Title

MAJOR THANKS TO 'THE ENGINEER' FOR THE EDITS, /) Brohoof