• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 740 Views, 22 Comments

Finding Harmony - Alice Eddor

  • ...
7
 22
 740

XV

It was the fifth time that week that Baroque had seen those two teenagers outside on the street. And the last day he would be able to spend in his apartment. He had been enlisted, nearly everyone in Baltimare had. Except Contrabasse. She hadn't taken it well, suggesting running away, hiding him, going herself, he had put a stop to those thoughts. She couldn't go in his place, that wasn't right, he couldn't have her doing that. He had one week to do what was necessary, and then he would need to leave. He would be sending money back to her as much as he could, she couldn't make her own way with University funds. Rent was getting more expensive by the day.

She was reluctant to let him go, but the morning of his final day in Baltimare came, and he had to leave. She knew it, and let him go at last, though wasn't pleased about it. As soon as he was out of the apartment building and headed for the check-in point, he saw them again. He didn't recognize either of them from anywhere, though one of them looked like she was ready for war. Being the fifth time that he had seen them that week; he decided that he might as well talk to them to find out why they were there. It was starting to feel odd, seeing them all the time, he wanted to know why they were hanging around his apartment.

He walked over to them, checking his watch. He wasn't entirely eager to go off to war. "Hey, you two, what're you doing?"

The two of them turned, the girl immediately leapt into the air, hovering a couple feet above the ground. The boy was on guard; he could see magic sparking up around his hands. Baroque held up his hands in surrender, dropping his small baggage as he did. The girl, who he just noticed was holding a bow, dropped slightly, though the boy remained as tense as he had been before. In a time of war, he supposed, you can never be too careful.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I want to ask you something."

The girl muttered something to the boy, who nodded. Whatever she had said, he seemed to agree with her. He gestured for Baroque to come over, though clearly didn't trust the man any more. Baroque picked up his suitcase and walked towards them as the girl landed.

"Go ahead," said the boy. "You have a question?"

"Yeah," he was very aware of the bow in the girls’ hand and the knife at her waist. "You guys have been around a lot. Is there... Something you need?"

"Could he be one of them?" asked the girl, landing.

The boy held up his hand. "What's your name?"

He hesitated. "Baroque, why? Do you need something?"

"I don't know," said the boy.

"I like him," said the girl.

Baroque felt like a dog, and like they were trying to decide whether or not they wanted to bring him home.

"Look, I need to get out of here. I've been enlisted, and I need to go. Do either of you need something?"

The boy took a breath. "I need you to come with us. I can take care of the army; they won't notice you're not there. But I need you to come with us."

Baroque frowned. "Why?"

"Trust me?"

He had to weigh his options. Go to war with strangers, or go off at random with armed strangers. Either way he would be walking into something that involved strangers and weapons. "Who are you people?"

"I'm Firelight, this is Lightening Chaser. I've been assigned something by Princess Celestia, and we need you to come with us." He said it urgently, in a hushed tone like he was afraid someone would overhear. A task assigned by the Princess? That wasn't something you heard everyday. In fact, it wasn't something you generally heard ever.

"Sorry if I don't believe you." Baroque turned and began to walk away, only to be stopped by a hand grabbing his arm. He turned back to see Firelight's slightly desperate face.

"Look, I know it's not very promising, but you need to trust me on this."

"Why?"

"Because it can save you from going to war and probably dying, Equestria has bigger plans for you than a war. I think." He frowned. "I hope I'm right."

"Bigger plans? What could be bigger than a full-scale war on the entire country?"

"This is less a war, more of a... special task force scenario."

"Look, I don't know who you are, but I'm probably not the guy you're looking for."

"I know you might not be. But you also might be. There's only one way to find out. Are you going to come with us?"

He wasn't sure. It would probably be better than going off and fighting with things he couldn't see, but these two people, neither of them looked older than eighteen. Of course, he was only twenty-two, he couldn't be judging. "Yeah, alright, I'll join you."

Firelight smiled. "Good. How much do you know about the Elements of Harmony?"