• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 740 Views, 22 Comments

Finding Harmony - Alice Eddor

  • ...
7
 22
 740

XI

Thimble hung a large, leather shield on the back wall of the caravan and stepped back to examine her work. The weapons and armour looked perfectly set up to her, the light from the single candle on the counter reflecting off the bronze and silver metal. Whether or not her father would agree with her set up had yet to be seen. She turned to face the counter and leaned over it, peering out onto the street in both directions. People should be coming fairly soon, this was their next targeted marching route. They had been set up here so that the troops could avoid dragging armour and weapons great distances. Of course, her and her father had to be paid for their services. The troops would buy the weapons. Everyone needed food money, even travelers.

Her father walked out in front of the caravan, examining her set up from the outside. He crossed his arms, nodding. "Looks good. You ready for business Thimble?"

"You know it," said Thimble with a laugh. She backed into the caravan, trying her hair back into a messy bun. "Where are we heading after this?" she asked her father as he walked into the caravan.

"We're supposed to be heading to Ponyville," he said grimly.

"A village? Are you serious?"

"We've been told we're needed in Ponyville. They're low on supplies."

"Dad, going to a village is a terrible idea. You know what's going on in the world right now. We've got to keep moving."

"We go where we're needed hun."

Thimble raised an eyebrow. "Right. You know what I like? Not dying."

"Thimble, please. You need to be pleasant. The last thing these fighters are going to see is you, so be personable."

Thimble nodded, turning to face the counter and smoothing out her clothes. Part of her wished that she could go home, and stay there, but her home was gone now. Her mother had managed somehow to contact her and her father, telling them not to return. They heeded her warning and hoped for the best, but there wasn't much they could do in the circumstances. They had no way of knowing where she was. Her father was, of course, worried, but the humble armies of the smaller cities in Equestria needed them.

The marching of the armies could soon be heard in the distance, which had at first been a source of fear to Thimble, but now calmed her. It meant that there were people nearby, besides her father. Travelling was a lonely thing, being constantly on the road. Every time they stopped in a town, they bought what food and supplies they could, but it was getting harder and harder to find towns that had not been completely destroyed by the Shadow Beings. The two of them had a few close calls with the monsters, but it wasn't anything they couldn't handle.

An archer landed in front of the caravan, far ahead of everyone else. "You're the supplier?" he said incredulously.

"That's right," said Thimble, leaning over the counter. "What is it you need?"

"What do you think?"

Thimble snorted quietly. He was a rude one then. She reached under the counter, pulling out a handful of bronze arrows. "There you are. Guaranteed to fly faster than anything your leader can give you."

"How much?"

She counted the arrows quickly. "Twenty bits for the lot."

"That's two bits an arrow!"

"I've gotta eat, don't I? Besides, what are you using your money for?"

"I'll give you ten."

Thimble laughed good-naturedly. "17."

"12."

"15." Another laugh.

He joined her in the laughter, though ironic. "13."

"Yeah right!"

"Okay, fine 16."

"23."

"No way, 21."

"20. Take it or leave it."

"Deal."

He paid up before noticing his mistake and Thimble quickly passed the money off to her father. As soon as he was gone she frowned to herself. The two of them had been doing this since they started travelling. Food expenses were high, as was getting raw materials. It was a necessity to be so dishonest, and Thimble had not only an affinity for sewing, but also an affinity for bargaining that had been a complete fluke. She was good at distracting the people, getting them to pay full price. She had tried and failed to get them to pay more, as people tended to notice. The only thought that comforted her was that it was war and that meant it was every man for themselves.

"Good one girl," said her father. He dropped the coins into a wooden box hidden by a curtain to their sleeping quarters. "As usual."

"I don't like it dad," she replied, her first sentence every time she scammed someone who was ahead of the group.

"I know you don't. But it's got to be done, and you're good at it, so there you have it. People will listen to a young woman."

"That's encouraging. Make more arrows, I'll put the feathers on when you're done."

Thimble was a seamstress, at least, that's what the threaded needle on her palm dictated. Her father was a blacksmith. Her mother did not specialize in anything that could contribute to their business, and was left behind. Thimble did very well in terms of getting customers to pay, she would tease them, make them laugh, and they would give her all the money she asked for.

The rest of the army passed through without incident. Her bribery was first rate, much to her concern. They had been nearly completely cleaned out, meaning that once they got to Ponyville, they would not have much to offer in terms of weaponry. Her father could craft quickly, but Ponyville had always been weak since the Elements left, their defenses were never the strongest. Being so close to Canterlot, it was relied on for nearly everything. She couldn't help but wonder if it was still standing, Ponyville. If it weren’t, her and her father would need to be on high guard.

Author's Note:

All of the Elements have now been introduced in the story! Leave your ideas as to who is which Element in the blog post for this chapter! I'm curious.