• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 1,203 Views, 51 Comments

Pinkie Discovers Jazz - Crisis_Vyper



When Pinkie was cleaning her room, she stumbles upon an old record with a music style that the pink

  • ...
1
 51
 1,203

Consarn It!

Chapter 3: Consarn It!

When Granny Smith told Pinkie that she is a tough taskmaster, Pinkie was assuming that it is all practice and stuff. Instead , the first thing when she arrived at Sweet Apple Acres is Granny Smith just letting her listen to a whole lot of records, She knows none of the artists that created the music in all those records, and honestly listening to jazz is cool, but she wants to learn something. Listening will not help her accomplish anything, or so Pinkie thought.

"Sorry if I am missing something Granny Smith, but......listening will not help me accomplish anything. I want to play some jazz, not listen to them." Granny Smith looks at the pink pony and only sighs.

"Well.......as mah Pa always say, " First learn how to stand, then you learn how to gallop. Nature's rule mah dear, not mine." I will pass that down to you now." Pinkie can only groan at the old mare's cryptic messages. What is she, some kind of Neighponese karate sensei? The old mare knows well what's going on in her pupil's mind, and instead opted for a more direct route. She puts a musical score right in front of Pinkie, and Pinkie eyes are now focused on the music sheet.

"'Someday my Princess will come'? Isn't this like an old boring tune?" Pinkie said, and looks at Granny Smith with one eyebrow raised.

"Ah got this from one of Applebloom's trumpet music lessons when she tries to get her cutie mark in being a trumpeter. Thank Celestia she gave up, as it ain't pretty. Well then, mah dear try playin' this. Ah heard from Applejack that you can play several instruments at once." Granny Smith gave her a nice, warm smile.

"Sure thing!" Pinkie Pie is ecstatic that now Granny Smith is going somewhere with this. She looks at the music sheet and immediately knows that she could play this tune easy peasy. She took out her trumpet from her hammerspace and started blowing the tune. So far so good as she is following all the tunes exactly as it would appear on the paper.

"Good, good. Make it all jazzy and give me the jive. And do not make it horrible at the same time." The old mare beckons her now, not even a single care about how her student can materialize a trumpet out of midair. Pinkie then looks at the simple sheet of music and now she could see that the song is now perhaps the most scariest thing in the world for her. How on earth does she make a song like this interesting at all? Not to mention that she will have to think so much when she is playing. How does one make it not horrible? If she jumps to the wrong music scale, she will make it utterly horrible. And not to mention that the song is slow, so making it all jazzy is even more difficult. How does she make it both fast and slow at the same time? Most importantly how does she make it sound like jazz?

Before long, Pinkie is now just staring at the sheet, the cogs in her brain are now stuck. The sweat on her brow is the cue that Granny Smith needs to take the sheet away from her. Once she did so the pink pony just looks at her, very much confused.

"See mah dear? You had never heard Jazz before in yer life, and now making this song all jazzy is just plain impossible. Jazz is as Jazz does. No short cuts around it. To know what's goin' on, yer need to get it first. It's like math ah guess." Pinkie wanted to say something about it, but then she takes a deep breath. Granny Smith is right, and a smile creeps up on her face.

"I am sorry, I went a little over my head just now. Could you forgive me?" Pinkie's apology is as sincere as they come. If it were Twilight's she would have tried to get a proper debate out of it. But Pinkie is the happiest and most friendliest pony in Ponyville as all the readers would have known. But deep down, Pinkie feels a little salty.

"Well, time to listen to more songs then. Once yer listen to enough of them, we could let you try to get some jazzy tunes, aye?" Granny Smith smiled back at Pinkie. Pinkie perked up at the idea.

*****************************************

"So how was the training going about at Sweet Apple Acres? I heard that Pinkie's having a tough time with this........'Jazz' thing." Rainbow Dash is finally off from her work of controlling the weather at Ponyville and managed to join Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Twilight for a mare's dinner out at the Veggie Grill. It was during this meeting that she ask the others about Pinkie's foray into some new music thing.

"Well from what ah saw, they are still listening to all the old songs from back in the day. Granny said that Pinkie needs to get it in her noodles in order to move to the next step." Applejack took a bite out of the celery from her plate as she say so.

"Is that why the poor dear is unable to make it for dinner today?" Rarity asked Applejack, and was replied with a nod.

"Oh.......I hope that she will be alright." Fluttershy's voice is loud enough for everypony else, but is still but a whisper.

"Relax girls, she will be fine if she spends the time on it. Remember the last time she tried to spend time with everypony else?" Everyone could never forget that time where the sea of Pinkies flooded Ponyville and they need to get rid of all the fakes by forcing them to watch paint dry. Yeah, all that is because she wanted to spend time with every one of her friends.

"Yeah.....she can be tad obsessive about things." Rainbow Dash could only thank Celestia that Pinkie have decided to use it to learn some new music genre instead, and under somepony's tutelage at that.

"I wonder what is Pinkie Pie doing right now? I think we all should check up on her later."

"That's a good idea Rarity, at least we could support Pinkie. I am sure that us being there would be good for her." Twilight then takes a sip of water. Sounds good, what could possibly go wrong?

*****************************************

-Later that night-

"What happened here?" Twilight is now looking at what looks like a picket of farm animals in front of the house, with one banner saying "Stop the Noise! Stop the Oppression!" whole other banners are just showing a sign of Pinkie's silhouette crossed with an 'X'. All the farm animals are all wearing a pink band around their arms, and some of the on their heads and Twilight assumed that it is a sort of symbol of their resistance. All of the farm animals that could hold a torch did so, and Twilight could see that they are all really angry. Sadly enough Twilight knows the source of their grievance.

One of the sheep, a black sheep is holding a megaphone and is now speaking to all the farm animals. Applejack can only facehoof while the other ponies just continue to watch their first ever farm animal strike.

"Oh no, not Martin...." Applejack's familiarity with that black sheep only serves to make the next series of events even worse for the cowpony. The black sheep gave a rousing speech, about equality in the farm and how all farm animals should not suffer the oppression of the 'noise of evil' and how each one of the should hold hands and live in harmony. Finally the black sheep went on to stir the crowd even more.

"What do we want?" The black sheep speaks in its sheepish voice, but amazingly it has quite some charisma into it.
"STOP THE NOISE!" The other farm animals chanted.
"When do we want it?
"NOW!"

As the farm animal crowd chanted the words "Pinkie, stop!" over and over again, Fluttershy gasped and puts her hoof over her mouth, with Rainbow is rather impressed with the black sheep's speech. Rarity looks at Twilight uncomfortably as she was the one who put them in this awkward situation.

"Consarn it, not again......." Applejack groaned so loud that Twilight could hear it over the chanting. Twilight could fathom that this incident has happened before. Twilight does not need to wait long for Applejack to follow up with that answer.

"The last time this happened, Applebloom was tryin' to learn how to play the trumpet so that she could get her cutie mark. Suffice to say there was a riot due to the trumpet play around Sweet Apple Acres and both Big Mac and I gotta calm them down. In the end, the farm animals made their own union and we both made an agreement ; we will not let the 'sound of evil' assault their ears and asked Applebloom to stop, while in return we will get twice the stuff we need from the farm animals. It worked for us to an extent as Applebloom's play was plain bad and we do not have to see another barn getting torched again. Of course Applebloom was not pleased, but that is a whole other story to tell......" Applejack could only bury her face in her hoofs as she retold her story to her friends. Twilight rarely seen the earth pony being so overwhelmed save that time with the applebucking season.

"Well, it could not get any worse right?" Twilight looks at everypony, expecting a positive answer. But then as if to make her statement a true case of irony in action, Twilight could see Applebloom running up towards them. The young filly then take a few deep breath and also some time to recompose herself before she talks to the ponies.

"Ah am so glad you are all here! Pinkie Pie just locked herself in the closet not wanting to come out! She said that she is a big failure in making Jazz! Granny Smith can't get her outta the closet and Big Mac is now tryin to talk to farm animal union leaders, but is at a loss for words!" Twilight just facehoofed, wondering why everything she says today has to just bite her in the flank.