• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 1,203 Views, 51 Comments

Pinkie Discovers Jazz - Crisis_Vyper



When Pinkie was cleaning her room, she stumbles upon an old record with a music style that the pink

  • ...
1
 51
 1,203

Invitations

Chapter 15: Invitations

“So we are doing a session this Saturday?” Octavia asked Pinkie. Octavia is in the Sugarcube Corner with Vinyl today to get some bread and some muffins, and Pinkie is working in the cash register today while Mr. and Mrs.Cake are baking their goods. Pinkie could only smile as Octavia asked the question, and immediately Octavia could understand that the pony is definitely planning something right now. Octavia decides to wait for a little while to hear about what this particular plan is.

“D’uh! We are going to play, but then I asked everypony that we should let our friends watch us have our first jam and stuff. Speaking about that have you ever wonder why they call a session of people playing instruments ‘jamming’? I do not see any jam around the place, nor are we eating some jam. Are we supposed to eat some jam while we play, or are we supposed to be dipped in jam and then play our instrument?” Octavia puts a hoof on Pinkie’s lips, silencing her at once.

“So I guess you are asking me to bring a friend over correct? Have you told the others about this? They might not agree to all of this you know…” Octavia voices out her concern. Pinkie then gives a hearty laugh and hands Octavia her baked goods.

“That’s what I said! And I told the others about it and they all agreed to it. So just bring your friend over and have some fun. I will be bringing the punch of course! And that would be two bits please.” Vinyl hands Pinkie the bits and finally it occurred to the two earth ponies that the DJ pony is amidst their company, and they had accidentally left her out. Pinkie’s hair was a little deflated, while Octavia now looks a little embarrassed about it.

“Nah it’s okay, band members do have that thing going on. And Octy, I am happy to come.” Vinyl gives a cheeky smile to her housemate and Octavia could only give a warm smile to what is perhaps her closest friend ever.

“Yeah, you are invited provided that you do not bring that Basscannon of yours. Deal?” Octavia cheekily said as she hands out her hoof. Vinyl then hoofshakes Octavia, agreeing to this particular term and both of them laughed. Pinkie could only look at these two closest of friends and smile so much.

*****************************************

Today Twilight is visiting Fluttershy as Owlicious needs his monthly check-up. Once she poured Twilight some tea, Fluttershy went on ahead and the owl cooed as she preens his feathers. As she goes about grooming the owl, Fluttershy could only see that there is a particular thing on the unicorn’s mind, and Fluttershy decides to be a little bit more assertive today and start the topic instead. Besides, Fluttershy had known Twilight for so long already, and she always does better when it is a one-on-one conversation.

“So, everyone’s training with their instrument?” Angel Bunny is now pouring some tea for their guest, and several other bunnies are also coming out with some scones and some fruit tarts so that their guest will be treated in a hospitable manner. Twilight was taken a little by surprise to Fluttershy’s willingness to start a conversation, but then she realized that Owlicious and herself are in Fluttershy's home. Of course she would be comfortable in her home,,Twilight reasoned.

“That’s right, apparently there’s a lot going on these past few days and Spike sleeps like a log every time he is done. Whenever his fingers move in his sleep it was so adorable.” Twilight chuckled as she sips on her tea. Fluttershy also giggled after hearing about Spike’s moving fingers. Fluttershy could only remember how Pinkie’s and Spike’s session went and she had to pay quite a lot of bits to repair the roof of her cottage, with Twilight contributing a lot to help her. For that she is offering Owlicious’ check-up free of charge.

“Well, I am glad that they are no longer crashing into pony’s homes now.” Twilight said in a deap-pan manner.
“But I also heard that they saved Ponyville from certain doom thanks to their music right?” Fluttershy asked. Fluttershy could only remember how the bright light enveloped her little cottage and caused all the animals to be scared out of their wits, and how some of the animals believed that it was the end of the world as they know it. It took her days to calm down the animals and assured them that it was nothing.

“Yes they did. And you know how that turned out.” Twilight answered.

“Yes….I do.” Fluttershy’s voice is soft, but if one were to catch it, it has a slightly displeased tone. She does not like it when somepony does things to her animal friends, but at the same time she cannot deny that dispelling the storm is a good thing.

“They are going to play in my basement in another two more days. Would you like to come and watch?” Fluttershy of course does not want to offend her friend by saying no so she agreed to her friend’s invitation. She’d have to make sure that Angel Bunny knows about it . Despite his rather uncouth behavior, but Angel Bunny is a very competent and caring caregiver to those that needs it. She’d have to tell him about the twenty-three mice children that will be staying as Mr. and Mrs. Mouse would be leaving for their vacation at Trottingham. She will make sure that he will get the best salad once she returns.

*****************************************

The afternoon sun is blazing in the sky, but Rainbow Dash cares not for the sun. All that matters is now her getting ready on the flight strip. She waits for the pegasi to give her a signal for her to commence her flight run. As she feels the warmth of the asphalt on her feet, she hopes that her weather patrol day will be uneventful. This is because today she will be taking charge of some of the ‘nuggets’: an affectionate term that the weather ponies tend to call the new green flyers in the weather patrol. She looks at all the other ‘nuggets’ and she could see their nervousness seeping out from their pores. She could understand the feeling as she was once like them. As they always say; the first time always is a heap of confusion, it begins and ends up too fast for any pony to register in their mind. A grey pony with a red mane looks at Rainbow Dash with a rather crooked smile and Rainbow Dash could only return the smile. This one she remembers as the one they called Cougar, though she never knew why he had the nickname. Her other fellow flyers are now flying with their own new charges. She wonders when she will be flying as she can’t wait to fly.

“Alright Weather Team 5, you are free to clear the runway. Dash, you are free for takeoff, over.” A booming voice from the megaphone signals the rest of the ponies on the strip right now to begin their trotting towards the flight runway. Rainbow Dash trots up first and slowly but surely she begins to gallop and let her wings do the rest. Before long a loud subsonic boom could be heard across the tarmac and Rainbow Dash is off. Soon enough each and every one of the ‘nuggets’ are taking off one after the other. Rainbow Dash decides to slow down on her flight, and the rest of her crew joined her in a flying arrowhead formation, with the rainbow-maned cyan Pegasus in the lead.

“You nuggets all ready for today’s cloudbusting?” She ask in an assuring tone. Nuggets always perform well when they are not pushed around.
“Yes Ma’am!” The rest of the nuggets answered their flight leader crisply. Surprisingly, every pony in her squadron are all very attractive male pegasi. For some mares, this could be a dream come true, but for Rainbow Dash it is part of her job and she prefers to not do anything to these stallions other than to fly in their air with them.

“Alright, everypony. Try not to overdo it. Goose, Maverick you are coming with me. Cougar, Merlin….you guys fly straight ahead. ” She could only remember her time in the Wonderbolt Academy where her overeagerness had almost caused her to lose her friends if it were not for her amazing speed and quick thinking with the compression of a cloud. Before long she swerves to the side and a purple pegasus with a blue mane and a blue pegasus with a purple mane followed their flight leader.

Rainbow Dash soon she noticed that there is a small puff of pink on the cloud. But as soon as she wanted to take a better look at it, the puff of pink disappeared. One of the nuggets, a purple Pegasus with a blue mane decided to bust this cloud apart, but instead was greeted by a puff of confetti. Rainbow Dash could only facepalm and groans before she flies over to her nugget and hovers in mid-air.

“Alright Goose, I will take care of this one. You and Maverick go and bust the other clouds will you?” Soon enough, a familiar pink pony appears before their eyes before dropping down to the ground, or to be exact trampoline. As Pinkie ascends to their height once more, Rainbow Dash catches her in the air. Not wanting to disobey their flight leader, the two pegasi went on kicking some clouds nearby.

“Pinkie, what do you want this time? I am out here babysitting nuggets for crying out loud.” Rainbow Dash is not angry at her pink friend for interrupting her cloudbusting session, but she is definitely wondering why the earth pony is bouncing here. It is perhaps one of the most surefire ways for Pinkie to talk to Rainbow Dash.

“Would you like to see us play our first session like….in another two more days at the Library?”

*****************************************

“Oh? A performance? How nice.” Rarity said once she heard of Applejack’s invitation. Today’s the day that Applebloom is going to stay over with her dear little sister Sweetie Belle and also Scootaloo for one of their ‘Crusader Sleepovers’. Applejack lets her sister run into the Rarity’s home to meet with her friend before she continues on.

“Eeyup. It’ll be mighty fine if you could come. Besides Ah do not wanna let Pinkie run off to invite you. You know how she is about invitations.” Rarity could only remember the stories that everypony had told her about Pinkie’s tenacity in getting the pony that she wants.

“I agree, very dreadful whenever the good dear does that. When will you all be playing anyway? Rarity asked.
“Well, we’ll be playin’ in another three more days. Of course if you’re busy…”

“Nonsense dear, I can always make time for my friends. Besides, I would love to see all of you play. I do love jazz myself second only to classical music. Pop music and that entire techno thing is never really my cup of tea mind you.” Rarity winks at Applejack, and Applejack could only think about the Basscannon incident.

"Yeah, that ain't pretty."

*****************************************

A day before the jamming session, everyone is having some nice cup of tea with some baked goods at the Library. It is always good to have some nice chatter with each other once in a while. Pinkie however was unable to make it as she has something to do, of which no one know what exactly.

“Ah managed to ask Rarity to come if y’all don’t mind.” Applejack poured her grandmother some tea as she talks to Twilight.
“Oh no worries, I invited Fluttershy to come and join us and Rainbow Dash confirmed her RSVP yesterday when she came in for one of her Daring Do books.” Twilight smiles as she takes a bite from the chocolate éclair.

“Vinyl is also coming, which is rather nice. Usually she is booked to Tartarus comes.” Octavia chuckled. The atmosphere was all rather nice and cozy till Spike actually slipped something that became a pressing concern.

“Well, since Pinkie is the one who asked us to bring some friends over, I wonder who she will invite.” Immediately Twilight dropped her éclair and Applejack almost dropped Twilight’s tea pot before barely catching it with her hooves. When Pinkie talks about inviting her friends that means that she will invite every friend of hers. That thought soon clicked on Twilight, Applejack and Spike. Soon enough the ponies and the little dragon rushed out from the library followed shortly by a very confused Granny Smith and also Octavia. As they all make haste to the SugarCube Corner, Twilight, Applejack and Spike hoped that they could try and stop her from bringing too many ponies to their jamming session. They entered in with a bang, and that caught the Cakes by surprise and also the customers in the store.

“Mr and Mrs. Cakes, did you see Pinkie anywhere?!?!?” Twilight was a little hysterical but nonetheless trying to keep her composure. The two bakers just pointed them upstairs to where Pinkie’s room is and soon enough everyone is running up the stairs. As they ran through the hallway, they noticed that Pinkie’s room is opened and as they entered into the cotton-candy smelling room, they could see Pinkie sitting down exhausted wearing her singing telegram outfit. This does not bode well for almost everyone for some reason. As they take a step closer to their pink friend, they can see that she has a rather wide grin which is rather disturbing.

“Pinkie…you didn’t….”Applejack said apprehensively. Soon enough Twilight is now face to face with Pinkie and she asked the pink earth pony the question that is on everyone’s mind.
“Pinkie, how many friends did you invite to the jamming session?” Pinkie could only stretch her smile a little more, and now it looks almost insane to the eyes of everyone.

“I invited everypony and their friends.” Suddenly a loud thud could be heard, and the other ponies noticed that Spike is now unconscious on the floor. As Octavia tries to help the little dragon regain consciousness, every other pony is now looking at Pinkie tensely.
“What do you mean everypony?” Twilight asked again.
“EVERYPONNNNYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!” Pinkie shouted happily, but to the other ponies the message is clear and primal; Pinkie really did invite everypony. Now the ponies have a show on their hands. Twilight could only facehoof, while Applejack groans.