• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 4,431 Views, 125 Comments

Time Bubbles - peppermint_twist



Derpy has had it with her time in Equestria, it's time for a change.....

  • ...
6
 125
 4,431

History Lessons

“Derpy”, a faraway voice called. “Derpy!” The voice seemed to be getting closer. “Derpy, please,” The voice seemed to be right in front of her.

“Derpy, come on!” this new voice was close too.

Everything went from black to grey; from grey, to full color. Everything crashed down on top of her like a giant boulder. She saw many faces. The two voices belonged to the Doctor and Raindrops. They were the closest. Those sky blue eyes stared directly into hers, full of worry. Raindrops seemed on the verge of crying. Tears started to stream out of her eyes when Derpy opened hers. A few drops fell onto Derpy’s cheeks. The Doctor helped her sit up straight on the soft bed that belonged to Raindrops.

Vinyl, Octavia, Bonbon, and Lyra were all there. They were all staring at the one grey Pegasus intently. “Where’s the imposter?” Derpy asked, regaining her strength. “What was it?”

Lyra walked up to where Derpy was lying. “It was a changeling. I remember coming across it when I was looking for books on humans. They are creatures that can change into any form they want. They take place of the ponies they change into and feed off of love. For some reason, it went after you,” Lyra’s golden eyes stared at Derpy questioningly.

Derpy’s whole face flushed a bright red. “So, er, where is this changeling?” she asked, eager to change the subject.

“Over here!” Derpy’s voice sang.

Everypony stepped aside to reveal a tied up copy of Derpy. “This stallion,” said Raindrops, pointing to the Doctor, “tackled that thing, and tied it up.”

Derpy looked up to the Doctor. He was leaning against the wall, playing with his “screwdriver”. Derpy slowly got up and walked over to her mirror image. “Could you keep it here? The Doctor and I have important things to discuss,”

Vinyl grinned. “Don’t worry D, we can handle this thing!”

Derpy grinned and led the Doctor out of the bedroom. She heard down the hall, the voice of Octavia, “Mmmm! Those two are just like my romance novels!”

Derpy blushed even more and started to run out of the hallway. The Doctor was trailing behind. “Doctor, I have a lot of questions!”

He smiled, “So do I!”

***

They sat down at the kitchen table. Derpy set out a pile of muffins before her. She stared directly at the Doctor. “You can share first,”

His blue eyes looked down. “What I saw in my dream was something truly terrifying. It hurt me in many ways… More than you, I am sure. There was a woman- well, a mare. She seemed truly rich. She was a clear aristocrat. Most likely came from the place Octavia came from. She was talking about it. She and Vinyl were leaving for a concert there I think. Anyways, she was a unicorn, not a Pegasus like you might think. She was levitating a bundle before her; one which was wrapped in very fine silk.

“I had no idea about the whole unicorn magic thing, pretty amazing, considering that they aren’t the superior race. Anyhow, I am trailing off subject. She had golden magic and golden eyes. Well, I assume it was magic; it was some type of aura that seemed to be controlled by her horn. Her mane was in large curls, very blonde curls, with an accent of light blue. Her fur, er, I mean coat was a darker blue, much like Vinyl’s hair! She was wearing a long cloak. It covered most of her body so it was hard to tell any of her other features. You could still tell, however, that her eyes were normal.

“Back on subject, she was levitating the baby to a small, rundown building. It had markings which I didn’t understand. I am quite sure it was an orphanage, considering the background information about you that your friends told me. The mare placed the baby on the front door’s porch. The mare looked down on the baby with care and muttered words that I could not hear. She kissed a small piece of paper and left it with the baby. She then took off her necklace and placed it around the neck of it. She knocked on the door and fled, a tear rolling down her cheek.”

Derpy stared at the Doctor. If that was the truth, then…

“I have many things to discuss about this,” The Doctor said. “First of all, why am I having this dream? I just met you, and yet, this information seems perfectly reasonable. You said that you had a dream about me, maybe our dreams are connected? Another thing to think about is your mother. If she really was a unicorn, then that might be a reason why she left you. That also didn’t necessarily have to be your mother; it could have been a kidnapper of some sort. There are many interesting details in this dream,”

Derpy picked up a muffin. “I see something wrong in your dream however.” She peeled the little wrapping off the muffin, “Unicorns can’t stand on clouds, only pegasi can.”

The Doctor nodded his head slowly. “I was thinking just that. Tell me your story. It might clear some things out; whether this dream is true, or not.”

Derpy sighed. “Alright. So, I was in a graveyard. It was really empty; completely empty except for three humans and a statue depicting a human with wings.” She looked up at the Doctor.

“Curious,” the Doctor uttered, “continue,”

Derpy cleared her throat, “One of them, went up to the crying statue and touched it. She disappeared, just vanished! The human, the one that I assume was you, burst into tears. I know my description isn’t as good as yours, it doesn’t have all these analyses or anything, but…” she stopped mid-sentence. She looked over to the Doctor; he was staring into space, a lost expression in his eyes.

She looked down at her uneaten muffin. She had lost her appetite. The female that vanished was probably dead or something. She was most likely dear to the Doctor, considering that he was crying in the dream. She was probably still dear to him, he probably couldn’t forget her.

“Doctor!” Lyra yelled hastily, as she was rushing into the kitchen.

The Doctor blinked, escaping his trance. “Yes, Lyra?”

“The changeling!”

The Doctor shook his head. “We’ll have to talk about this later!” He shoved his chair away and ran out of the kitchen and out of the house.

Derpy rushed into the bedroom of Raindrops. Everypony she cared about was in that room, and now, they were all lying down on the blue rug. She looked around. All six of them were there, eyes wide open, lying on their bellies. Their tongues were hanging out and they all looked dazed. Where was the changeling?

Lyra casually walked up to Derpy from behind. She started to lick her lips as she got closer to the pony. “Finally! I can get a good snack! It’s been ages since my last one; this is going to be quite tasty! I can tell that you will be a succulent meal. All that love building up inside of you, yum,” She smiled in the most unnerving way. Lyra never looked like that, it felt weird. She started to run at Derpy.

“NO!” Derpy shouted. She was about to kick the creature with her hind legs when she looked into those deep blue eyes. Derpy stopped in her tracks.

The stallion broke into the same smile. “Ha! Exactly as I thought.” The “so-called” Doctor inhaled deeply through his nose. He pinned Derpy down. “This is going to taste good!”

“Get away from her!” cried Vinyl’s scratchy voice. Vinyl kicked the imposter’s face and it flew backwards. Vinyl rubbed her temples with her hoof. “That thing sure knows how to knock a pony out, ouch!”

Octavia and Bonbon came rushing in with the rope again. “Get away from her!” cried Bonbon. They quickly tied up a dazed Doctor.

Derpy rushed over to the real Doctor. “Are you alright?” she asked softly.

He groaned, “Yes, yes,” He looked over at the changeling. “Now,” he said, slowly getting up. He walked over to his copy and stared directly into its face. “Let’s see what you really look like,” He pulled out the tool again and clenched it with his jaws.

The green light shined in the changeling’s eyes. It squinted as its coat started turning a shadowy black. It started to wriggle, trying to escape but to no prevail. It ground its teeth and screamed. “NO!”

It soon became a hideous black pony figure. Its head was shaped quite similar to an alicorn’s. It had a pair of sharp, pearly white fangs that seemed to be able to cut anything. It had a curving horn set in front of two, torn up ears. The most dominant feature of this creature was the hooves. The hooves had holes in them that made them look almost like weird black cheese. It was a miracle that it could even walk on them. It had a long, sweeping mane, which was dark blue. This, somehow, also had holes. Its eyes were the same color as well, with no pupil in them, just completely blue; there were no whites of its eyes or anything.

“How did you…?“ asked the changeling. Its voice was definitely feminine; it was a low voice that sounded like a chorus of cries. It echoed around the room.

“Now, where did you come from?” interrogated the Doctor.

“I,” she stammered. If the stallion could force her to change back into her original form, what else could he do? “My name is Kacoonis. I am the heir to the throne, after my mother Queen Chrysalis.”

“Well I am honored to be in the presence of a princess!” The Doctor laughed, “You still haven’t answered my question,”

She eyed the Doctor. “How can you tell that I’m not lying? Maybe this is a trap? You never know,”

“Stop trying to be clever,” He waved the screwdriver around and winked.

She sighed, “I am stuck here, for my mother and all the royal soldiers have been blown away, to some unknown place. They were trying to break into Canterlot to feast upon all that delicious love. Where am I to go to? Our race is made up of nomads. We are always traveling, looking for food. They all basically left me and the rest of the female changelings scattered around Equestria. What am I to do? Tell me! What am I supposed to do?” At this point, the princess was actually sobbing.

Derpy instantly felt pity for the princess, though she did try to eat her love, she was just looking for food. Derpy knew how it felt to be abandoned, tossed aside. She also knew what it was like to have no real home.

The Doctor turned to Derpy. “Would you like to accompany me on an adventure?” He asked, smiling.
Derpy started to blush profusely. “J-Just the two of us? Adventure?”

“We are going to save all these people from these changelings! I don’t want anyone to go through what you went through. I don’t want to see more people-I mean ponies- get hurt. Will you be my companion?”

“I don’t want anypony to go through that either,” Derpy nodded.

“Of course, we would need someone to tell us who’s a changeling and who isn’t…” He looked over at the changeling. “Will you accompany us?”

“Me?!” exclaimed the princess.

“HER?!” exploded Derpy

“What?!” everypony else screamed.

“You won’t cause any trouble, right?” he asked, ignoring everypony, “with us, at least you have purpose and somewhere to go!”

He smiled, though Derpy could tell that it was a lie. His eyes showed great distrust. He seemed as if he was saying, “One false move, and I’ll get rid of you as fast as you can say ‘no’.” The princess seemed to notice this too.

She sighed, “I guess so,”

The Doctor smiled. He looked over to Derpy. “Alright! Derpy, I think you should pack up. Changeling Princess,” he glanced at Kacoonis. “Don’t do anything weird. You have no idea what I am capable of,” he said, lowering his voice.
“Um, okay then, I guess I’ll go pack…” Derpy replied.

***

Derpy glanced at her few possessions. She had spread out the necessities on her bed and was placing them in her saddlebag. Her saddlebag was attached to a brown belt that looped around her back. The bag hung there, with the buuble clip unlocked. She remembered when she got the saddlebag, a few years ago. Back then, it was so cool to have a customized saddlebag, with your cutie mark as the lock/clip.
She barely used this beige saddlebag. Most of the time, she was too busy delivering mail to travel. Now, she could finally put this dusty thing in use.

What lay before her was everything she needed for a few months.

1.A baker’s dozen of muffins

a.4 blueberry

b.5 chocolate

c.4 plain

2.A blanket

3.2 Bubble bottles

4.Her mother’s pearl necklace and note

5.A map of Equestria (The Doctor probably needed it)

6.A compass

7.A bottle of water

8.30 bits

Everything she needed for a long journey. This stuffed the saddlebag quite full. Maybe she should get rid of something? Muffins were one thing she definitely couldn’t sacrifice. The bubble bottles? No. Whatever. She’d just have to cope with the heaviness.

Derpy walked around, trying to get used to the weight. She practiced flying, she was still fine. Derpy imagined flying in a hot air balloon with the Doctor. Just her and him. Of course, that dream blew up in her face when the changeling accepted. Whatever. Derpy quickly ran out of the house, eager to start fresh and get away from her own stressful life.

The Doctor was waiting outside of Derpy’s house with another pony. This pony was pure white. She had the same body figure as a princess or like the famous model, Fleur; very slender and curvy. Her coat shined in the sunlight. Her mane was gently curled at the bottom; other than that it was completely straight. Her bangs were curled up into a “C” shape. The maroon mane seemed as if it was blowing in the wind. Her cutie mark was a plain and simple red heart. Her red eyes lowered at Derpy; her maroon eye shadow looking like blood to the pegasus. The pink tongue of the mysterious pony fell out of her delicate mouth, and she licked her lips.

“Who is this Doctor?” Derpy’s heart started pounding. This pony was definitely stunning, though she did have an evil look in her eye.

“Don’t get jealous!” The Doctor exclaimed, jokingly, “This is the princess, in disguise of course. Shall we start?”

“Let’s,” Kacoonis uttered, her “voice” was deep, with a very feminine touch. Had she copied somepony else, or was this some fantasy pony? Was she trying to wow the Doctor and feast off of his love for her? Derpy definitely didn’t trust this changeling,

“So, are we setting out on hoof? Or do you have a secret balloon stashed anywhere?” Derpy asked, playfully.

The Doctor burst out laughing. “Well,” he chuckled, “No, my dear companions, we will not be! Let’s just say,” he eyed the two, “I have some cheat codes,” He grinned.

“DERPY!” cried Raindrops as she was running out of her house; “Here!” she gave Derpy a forest green sweater, “You might be traveling to someplace cold so,” she burst into tears.

“It’s okay Raindrops! I’ll be back soon!” Derpy reassured.

Octavia and Vinyl came galloping towards Derpy from the centre of Ponyville, where they both lived. “Here,” Octavia panted. She had brought a foldable saddle umbrella. It was a very nice one, one of Canterlot quality. The umbrella part was purple, with golden flowers patterned on. The saddle part, the part from which the umbrella stem protruded from was purple with a golden frame. “I got this from Canterlot, but I have never used it. I want you to have it, in case it rains where you are going,”

“Thank you! You ponies are the best friends ever!” Derpy exclaimed. This was the first time she had genuinely felt happy in years. It felt great, being surrounded by ponies that truly cared about her.

“You need something to hold all that with,” Bonbon said. Derpy turned around. She didn’t notice Bonbon and Lyra sneak up behind her.

“We were saving this for your birthday,” Lyra said. Bonbon was holding a blue bundle in her mouth, “But we think you might need it now.” Bonbon placed the bundle in front of Derpy.

Derpy used her nose to unfold the sky blue blanket. She gasped as she looked down on an exact replica of her own saddlebag. Bonbon helped to clip it onto her remaining side. Derpy placed the umbrella, the map, the compass, and sweater inside. “Thank you so much!” Derpy hugged each individual pony. “Really, thank you,” Derpy started to walk away with the Doctor and Kacoonis.

***

They walked back to the pond, the place where Derpy had found the Doctor. The big blue box was still there; or, as the Doctor had called it, the “Tardis”. The day of the Doctor’s arrival that had changed Derpy’s life seemed as if it happened ages ago.

“This is the Tardis! Ba ba ba dum!” The Doctor sang. The stallion pushed open the doors. “At least it doesn’t smell like pears anymore!” He skipped in.

Derpy and Kacoonis were caught off guard. Derpy vaguely remembered this feeling of wonder, but she didn’t really pay attention last time. This time, however, it hit her hard.

The once outhouse-sized blue box was now at least the size of the Cake’s house. The large room’s floor was made of what appeared to be glass. Through this glass, you could see all these wires and lights, tucked underneath; the lights emitted a popping blue shine. In the middle, there was a large hexagonal table which was connected to both the ceiling and floor through two large columns; the table had a lot of buttons and overly large levers. The column connected to the ceiling was transparent with a spiral spinning inside.

The whole room was shaped like a giant dome, with the walls curving outwards. The walls were covered with circular lights that lit up the entire room. Wires hung down from the ceiling. There were two staircases that led up and zigzagged. All of this interlacing confused Derpy quite a bit.

“Welcome to the Tardis,” shouted the Doctor.

“It’s,” Kacoonis paused, “bigger on the inside…” She ran out of the Tardis, circling it, trying to comprehend the magic.

“Now Derpy,” the Doctor said, while the princess was circling, “We can finally talk.”

“Is my dream…” she looked the Doctor in the eye, “is it what really happened?” The Doctor bowed his head. “I’m sorry,” Derpy whispered.

“I guess,” the Doctor lifted his head. He let a tear drop out of the corner of his eye. “This means that the pony who left you was a unicorn.” He shook his head, “This raises many questions. Our dreams must be connected. If this keeps happening, we could find out more about your past and what really happened-“

“What is this thing?” Kacoonis questioned, rushing in finally.

The Doctor smiled his mischievous smile, “You’ll see,”