• Published 11th Jan 2012
  • 3,733 Views, 51 Comments

I can listen - walkonfour



A certain big red pony finds himself in town, and whilst wandering, makes a new connection

  • ...
4
 51
 3,733

Royal Encounters

“Princess…Luna?”


Standing mere feet away from Big Mackintosh was the Princess of the Night. The Mare in the Moon. Nightmare Moon. In that moment, Big Macintosh wanted to do nothing in the world as much as run, yet he found himself rooted to the spot. Foalhood stories about Celestia’s dark sister leapt unbidden to his mind. It was all he could do to not break down in terror…


“YOU!” the Princess of the Night, now stood only a few feet away, pointed an accusing hoof at Big Macintosh. Her eyes wide, her mane billowing menacingly behind her, she cut quite the intimidating figure. She slowly and deliberately walked towards the frozen workhorse until she stood nearly nose to nose with him. “ART THOU THE PONY FROM LAST NIGHT?”


Big Macintosh could only shrug in reply, still reeling as he was from the full effect of Luna’s magically enhanced voice. Beside him, Rainbow dash managed to get the Alicorn’s attention, nodding in agreement with her previous statement. Luna continued to examine the pair, barely the faintest hint of recognition upon her face.


Much more softly this time, she spoke again, leaning towards Big Macintosh “when addressed by a Princess it is customary to at least respond, my subject” her mouth curled upwards, betraying the shadow of a smile, as she recognised a familiar nervous look on the stallions face. Since her return, the princess had sought to become more approachable, but her immortal sense of mischief often bid her return, albeit briefly, to using her full Canterlot voice as she had moments ago. Seeing a full grown stallion like this one reduced to a trembling foal was, she mused, simply adorable.


Big Macintosh swallowed nervously, “Well, your majesty, ya’ll see that I done transgressed against how a good gentlecolt should be behavin’, and what’s more I dragged a member of your own royal family into my crimes. I’m here to extend my apologies to both Prince Blueblood and ter yourself, as well as to accept any punishment you might have…”


“Hmm, well. I do not think our dear prince would ever forgive me if I sent his new friend to the dungeons now, would he?”


“Blueblood’s alright?”


“Quite. I ran into him returning to the castle last night. He wouldn’t stop going on about this marvellous red earth pony he met only yesterday! As far as I am concerned you are forgiven”.


Big Macintosh could barely believe his ears. “Forgiven?”


“Yes, forgiven. The poor foals been quite intolerable of late, I am just glad someone could help him relax a bit. Anything to stop him pining over that mare from the gala!” Luna swept her head away, her radiant mane billowing gently in her wake. The two ponies looked at each other, both equally nonplussed at the princesses’ last statement.


Rainbow Dash spoke up, he curiosity piqued. “A mare from the gala? You mean Rarity?”


The night Princess was turning away now, a sure sign the matter was at an end. Before walking off, she turned, looking back over her shoulder.


“You mean the dressmaker unicorn right? No, as I recall the object of his affection was an earth pony, as a matter of fact. now go, before I change my mind”


Big Macintosh blinked in confusion. Earth pony? Now that he thought about it, he did recall Blueblood saying something yesterday, before things got so monumentally out of hand…. He only wished he could remember more of the night. Still, no matter, he thought pushing the matter to one side. He was a free stallion after all. It was high time he got back to Ponyville. Ponyville and Rarity.


Rainbow Dash however, was less than satisfied. As she remembered, Rarity had been the only one with blueblood last night, and earth pony? Well sure the prince had visited Applejack’s stand, but…Never mind. Right now her greatest concern was getting back to Ponyville, and not emptyhoofed… she did not relish facing a romantically frustrated Rarity without being able to return Big Macintosh.


“Come on Big Red, you’re going to have to walk it off buddy. Long way back to Ponyville the earth pony way”


The barely concealed groan she got in return showed the stallion understood. With muffled curses, the pair tuned for home.


Meanwhile, within his chambers, a prince was waking up. As he stumbled out of his cushy feather bed, he became acutely aware of a pounding headache like nothing he had felt before. forcing himself to stand, he made his way over to the gilded mirror before which he would groom himself each morning. The stood before him was like nothing he recognised. He strained his mind trying to remember exactly what happened the night before. But wait... Memories of the night before came flooding back to him. Big Macintosh, his new friend -auntie was right, he thought to himself, smiling- had taken him under his wing (figuratively of course, he was an earth pony, after all) for one of the strangest nights of his life. They had drunk together, sung together, fought off a platoon of the Canterlot royal guard together… all in all, it had been a remarkable bonding experience. Halfway into his second bottle of tanglehoof he had confessed everything to the workhorse, who all things considered had been remarkably receptive to his admissions.


Regaining something of his royal composure, the prince called for his valet. He must try to look his best today. After all, he had a long journey ahead of him, and then, he thought, and then, Applejack… at first he had been surprised that Big Mackintosh had been so Receptive to the idea. He had even gone as far as promising to put in a good word for him.


Half an hour later, the prince emerged, looking rather more regal, his mane one again gleaming, the wine stains having been bleached from his coat.


Running into Big Macintosh yesterday was a real stroke of luck, Blueblood mused. The Apples, after all happened to be a close family, and he would need his support to proceed with what he had planned. As he trotted through the halls of Canterlot castle, he considered tracking down the red earth pony and offering his thanks, before thinking better of it. He would see a lot more of his new best buddy once he got to Ponyville, and besides, if he didn’t act now, he may never find the courage to again. Yes he resolved, the time has come to go to Ponyville. Ponyville….and Applejack.