• Published 11th Jan 2012
  • 3,732 Views, 51 Comments

I can listen - walkonfour



A certain big red pony finds himself in town, and whilst wandering, makes a new connection

  • ...
4
 51
 3,732

Separation angst

"So... What you are trying to tell me is that my dearest Macintosh has been sent on soon foolish mission, largely of your concoction, to rescue me from the clutches of prince Blueblood?"


Rarity stood motionless inside the barn, only a twitching muscle in her cheek betraying any hint of emotion. Before her stood Rainbow Dash and Applejack, looking to the entire world like two fillies caught bunking off school. Neither had expected Rarity back so quickly, much less at the hands of Celestia’s personal carriage.


"Well, I suppose I should have expected as much from you, Rainbow Dash, but Applejack? Whatever came over you?"


Silence. It seemed that neither of the two ponies could answer the unicorn. Neither had expected such consequences from there little joke. Confrontation like this was decidedly un-Rarity. Applejack seemed as though all she could do was stare at her hooves, whilst Rainbow Dash seemed torn between flying away and using her friend as cover from the vengeful unicorn.


“So are you going to give me some explanation as to why my lovely new coltfriend is heading for a potentially dangerous, not to say embarrassing, confrontation with Caterlot’s Finest?”


“Come on! If you’d seen the way he was mopin’ around you would have done something too, besides it was really funny at the time… you gotta understand!” Rainbow Dash all but shouted. Despite Rarity’s evident displeasure, the Pegasus still felt somewhat justified in her part of the prank.


“Look sugacube, I didn’t think he would actually go all the way to Canterlot… it’s not my fault he ain,t thinkin’ with his head no more” the orange earth pony offered, sounding slightly lore remorseful than her partner in crime


“Then what is he thinkin’ with?” asked Rainbow dash, A lewd grin fixed to her face.


“His heart, obviously darling” replied Rarity, casting the Pegasus a disapproving glance “anyway the fact is I’m rather disappointed with both of you. What I really want to know is how you two intend to solve this problem you have so clearly created.”


Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash looked at one another. Neither had a solution in mind, but could tell that retrieving Big Macintosh was not going to be easy….


For Big Macintosh, the royal palace of Canterlot represented a definite change in scenery. Never one to travel, he only had Applejacks stories to guide him, not that it had been hard. The palace was easy enough to find, big the biggest building he had ever laid eyes on. As he wandered towards the gleaming white marble of the building’s exterior, he had expected to be challenged by a Royal Guard or some other retainer; yet he had made it as far as the court itself without so much as word spoken to him. Glancing around his surroundings, it was clear that had arrived too late; the court was empty of any ponies, royal or otherwise. He was alone. Taking a moment to himself, he basked in the Palaces splendour; the sun was low in the sky, causing the stained glass of the grand windows to almost glow. The simple earth pony had to stop and smile at the serene, reflective atmosphere that existed in the now empty court that had earlier been the beating heart of Equestrian government.


“I’m afraid that the Princess won’t be back today. You are here to petition, I presume?” A noble sounding voice startled Big Macintosh back to reality.


“Not exactly” he responded “but perhaps you can help me”


Big Macintosh fixed eyes on the pony that had disturbed him. A unicorn; one of the biggest he had ever seen, and not just tall, but possessed of the baroque figure indicative of nobility…gold mane…. His mark... Compass rose……could it be?

“Say, would you be Prince Blueblood?”


The unicorn laughed quietly to himself, as if at some joke that only he understood. “Yes, that’s me I suppose. So what is it you want with me? You’re a disgruntled servant perhaps? Did I run you down in my carriage? Maybe I simply insulted you…. Well, whatever it is, I’m truly sorry. I am trying to be a better Prince, and part of that is admitting that I’m wrong..”


Well this isn’t how Rarity described him… thought the workhorse. He’s certainly self-obsessed, but doesn’t seem cruel. In fact… he seems almost pitiful… Big Macintosh weighed his next words carefully.


“Well, actually I’m just here for Rarity”


“Oh right” the Prince studied him for a moment, before recognition flashed across his face. “Yes she spoke about you. Big Macintosh I Presume? I’m afraid Rarity has already left for Ponyville.” the prince held his hoof out in a gesture of good will.

Cautiously, Big Macintosh took Hold of the offered foreleg


“My dear aunt said I could learn a lot from a pony like you. If you could spare some time, that is.”


The Earth Pony could only quizzically raise one eyebrow in response. Strange… but I did come all this way. “Sure I’ve always got time to help another pony.” He replied, in truth wanting to be on his way as soon as possible.

“Excellent please come with me, mister Macintosh. You look weary. I shall make arrangements so you may wash, and have someone bring you some food, I think.”

Big Macintosh could only wonder at the situation now unfolding before him. He resolved to have a long talk with several young mares on his Return to Ponyville.