• Published 21st Sep 2011
  • 1,853 Views, 7 Comments

Deduction is Magic - Raot



A silly story about Sherlock Hooves and Clopson.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,853

Something in the Water

“So, the robber wanted us to think it was an earth pony from Ponyville?” Clopson asked.

“Good, you’re following.” Sherlock nodded.

“But then… why are we in Ponyville?” Clopson asked as they passed the town center.

“Because, those apples still came from here, and this is where the trail must start. But first before we go on…“ Hooves stopped and looked around quickly.

“The ponies here are a bit crazy.” He said to Clopson under his breath. “I think there’s something in the water.”

“HEY” came a high-pitched voice.

“Oh horse apples it’s her.” Sherlock cursed, looking at a pink pony that had come up from behind him.

“What are you doing here? Who’s your friend? I haven’t met him before.” She suddenly took a long gasp, “We need a welcome party! We don’t get a lot of new ponies here and it’s a really small town and I’m sure everyone would like to get to know you and…”

“Pinkie pie… that’s your name right?” Sherlock interrupted.

“Yep! Well, really it Pinkamena Diane Pie, And I think Diane is a really weird name don’t you…” Sherlock put his hoof over her mouth.

“Right! Pinkie! I am on a case right now!” he said. “And I need to know where Sweet Apple Acres is.” He put his hoof back on the ground.

“Of course! That’s where Applejack works, you know Applejack right?” she gasped again. “NO YOU DON’T! You never met her! And how can you know her if you haven’t met her? I mean you could know ABOUT her I guess but…”

“Pinkie!” Sherlock interrupted once more “Concentrate!” he continued when she tried to speak again. “Now… point us to the whereabouts of sweet apple acres.”
Pinkie pointed, but continued to follow the two colts.

“Applejack is fun, but she likes to work a lot and you like to work a lot so I think you have a lot in common. One time she even saved the town from a stampede! But then she over worked herself and made some baked bads. She likes to bake things and… OH I was just baking cupcakes when you came, I’ll go get them, we can have a mini pre-party, party!” she dashed off, back to sugar cube corner.

“Well, she seems like quite the handful. Not really your type.” Clopson commented.

“What do you mean type?”

“Well, you come into town and she makes cupcakes for you? Sounds like something’s going on…”

“No that’s just her. She makes cupcakes for everyone. Quick, we should start moving faster if we are to lose her…”

“What?” Clopson said in surprise “It’s about lunch time, I could really use a cupcake…”

“Trust me, don’t drink the water, don’t eat the cupcakes, try not to breath to heavily either. I just want to get out of the town as fast as…”

“Ihm baghck!” Clopson turned to see Pinkie quickly trotting towards them holding a plate of cupcakes with rainbow colored frosting.

“Don’t mind if I…” Clopson turned to see Sherlock eyeing the cupcakes suspiciously, looking back to Clopson, and shaking his head in warning. “...Er, actually, I haven’t been feeling well lately.”

“But you know what will make him feel better?” Hooves started. “Some fresh sweet apple cider...” Sherlock said.

“OH, I’m sure Applejack has some, here, I’ll lead the way!” she dropped the plate and sped forward.

“I like her.” Clopson said. The three ponies made their way towards the apple farm. “So how do you know each other?” he asked pinkie pie.

“Well, gummy went missing one day, so I found Sherlock and I asked him to find him, but he said it was stupid, so I said I would throw him a party if he found gummy, but he didn’t want a party, I don’t know why. Who doesn’t like parties? I asked him why and he said they were boring, but I said my parties are NEVER boring…”
------------------------------

“And it turned out!” Pinkie finished her story as they reached the entrance to sweet apple acres. “He was in the bathtub THE WHOLE TIME.”

“That was quite a thrilling tale.” Clopson said with a nod. “Especially the part about oatmeal…”

“Yes, but, we’re here now.” Sherlock said while stopping and looking to Pinkie. “We’re going to be doing confidential… detective… stuff now.”

“OH. Okay, I’ll get the party ready for Clopson!” she dashed away and back to her own home.

“Well howdy there.” Sherlock turned to see Applejack with her hoof held out towards him. “Ah don’t think we’ve met before.”

“No, we haven’t.” he trotted past the hoof and looked around the farm. Clopson took up her hoof instead.

“I’m sorry about him, hello, I am Clopson, and this is Sherlock… Sherlock!” he yelled at the pony as he took an apple from one of the nearby trees and took a bite.

“These aren’t your trees Sherlock, you can’t just eat whatever you want…”

“I’m not eating.” He spat out the chewed remnants. “Just tasting,”

“I am terribly sorry, I’ll get him to pay for that…” Clopson said apologetically.

“It don’t mind me none. Ah can see he’s got something on his mind.” Applejack said politely with a giggle. “But what can I do ya for?”

“Well, you see, there was a robbery in Canterlot…”

“Really?” Applejack’s eyes widened. “Me an the girls were just over there at the gala last night…”

“Were you now?” Clopson said curiously. He used magic to take out a pen and paper. “Who else went with you?”

“Well there’s Twi, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Dash, an I think Spike tagged along as well, why?”

“Well, I’m sorry, but I will probably need to question all of you…”

“What? You think me an my friends might have somethin’ to do with this…”

“No mam, but it is a possibility. And one of you might have seen something.” He said.

“Well alrighty then. Ah’ll see what ah can do to help y’all.” She said.

“You have a dog?” Applejack turned when Sherlock spoke. Winona had just walked up and barked at the newcomers.

“Er, yea, that there’s Winona. Best…” she started.

“I’m sorry, what other family members live here?” Clopson interrupted, angrily giving Sherlock a glance before continuing.

"Well there’s Granny Smith, Big Macintosh, Applebloom…”

“Half the towns probably related to the Apple family,” Sherlock said making his way back to the group. “That’s why I hate these backwater towns.”

“Beg yer pardon?” Applejack said defensively.

“Nothing. We’re done here.” He said, making his way out of the farm the way he came in.

“Wait!” he looked to Applejack and then back to Sherlock, sighed, put away his notes and apologized to her, “I’m so sorry for his behavior, but I have to go. Thank you for your cooperation.”

“T'aint nothing.” Applejack said sorely as Clopson went galloping after Sherlock.

“What was that all about? We hardly got anything from her…”

“There was not much there Clopson.” Sherlock said. “All I needed to do was test if the apples tasted the same as those at the scene. They did. They most definitely came from this farm, freshly picked, and because the security system is lax to say the least, any pony could have gone and taken a few.”

“Actually, I saw Applejack selling apples at the Gala.” Clopson said. “One of the other guests might have…”

“She didn’t sell a single apple there.” Sherlock interrupted. “Maybe a pie or two, but any gentlecolt of high standing would not be caught with their lips on common carnival fare.” Sherlock explained. “And I’m sure she watched her product like a griffon, and would have reported theft. No. The thief is here in ponyville.”

“And the dog?” Clopson asked. “Why was that important?”

Sherlock shrugged “Don’t see many dogs around here. It’s refreshing.”

Clopson sighed. “So where are we off to now?”

“Twilight Sparkles library.” Sherlock responded.

“She was at the Gala… do you think it was her?” Clopson asked. “She is very close to the princess, she might have been able to get in…”

Sherlock laughed, “My dear friend, I like your creativity, but Twilight Sparkle is far too loyal to cross Celestia, and with her standing, she probably could have very well asked for the Elements of Harmony and received them with no fuss.” Sherlock continued.

“…So why are we going there?” Clopson asked.

“It’s getting dark, and I heard she has an extra bed or two.” Sherlock responded. “She also has one of the few copies of ‘The Elements of Harmony’ and I believe it would be some good light reading.” He explained.

“We could simply find an inn.” Clopson suggested. “Better beds, better food, I know one just down the street…”

“The Inns have neither the company nor reading I wish. And you know I don’t eat on a case.”

“I was thinking of myself.” Clopson said.

“Ah, well, you know I need you Clopson. Magic of friendship and all that.” Sherlock said. Clopson rolled his eyes.

"Fine"