• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 842 Views, 16 Comments

Apples Of My Eye - Psicosis



Granny Smith reflects on her life and the events that led her to this day.

  • ...
2
 16
 842

When I Was Young

“When I was young...,” Granny Smith whispered while holding a picture close to her chest. She sat on a rocking chair near a window, letting the sun shine on her face. “You were here... With me.” Her lip quivered, but she managed to keep it together. She placed the photo back on the window ledge and continued to stare at it while rocking her chair back and forth.

Her soft breathing and the creeks of the chair hitting the wooden floor were the only sound filling the room. “Remember the rough times we had... They were rough, but at least they were rough together,” She said, but nopony was in the room; she was speaking to the image on the window ledge.

“We needed bits and we couldn’t see where we’d get them... We began thinking we might even have to sell the farm, the farm we’ve had for generations... And hopefully more generations to come. I remember I found you... Crying alone... All alone in your room, you were so strong, but even you couldn’t take it all alone. No one mare could...

I told you everything would be fine, we’d make it through this together... But I seen the light in your eyes fade, you didn’t believe me and it broke my heart to see you like that. How could I not feel bad for my only child during those tough times? But... We made it through thanks to a miracle.

You met a beautiful stallion... Beautiful indeed, he was perfect for you and I couldn’t of been happier. He was a true gentlecolt, even if he was rather shy... I remember when I had to meet him, he would hide behind you and you would giggle. It brought the biggest smile to my face to see your smile...

You and him were the perfect match, I’m so grateful to him... He brought the life back into your eyes, and I remember your wedding day. I cried as you recited I do... The ceremony was beautiful, the church, flowers and everything to do with it, but most of all... You were smiling.

Little did we know we had a gift along the way to, a little stallion growing inside you. He must of been kicking ever so happily as you stood at that altar with tears of joy rolling down your cheeks.
The day you found out you came running to me and yet again... You had that beautiful smile on your face.

You started jumping around me, letting out little squeaks of pure bliss. You told me you were expecting and all I could do was cry. Couldn’t speak, I tried to say congratulations, but I was so happy that words couldn’t express it. If Celestia herself granted me a royal reception with her it still wouldn’t of beat the happiness I felt for you.

Then the day came... He was coming and you were rushed to hospital, but by the time I got there... There he was, you were holding him in your hooves and he was amazing. He was a big foal, but that made him all the more special to us. The name you gave him was just perfect.

Big Macintosh... The red fur, his green eyes, it was all too perfect. It seemed like our life was perfect , we had each other, didn’t have any debts thanks to your lover. He truly did save us from the dark times we had. Time passed normally, but still with smiles and two more graced us with their presence. Two more perfect fillies... AppleJack and AppleBloom, two beautiful mares and Big Mac swore at a young age to protect them both with all his strength.

His father was so proud and so was I... I still am... But little did I know... A dark cloud was slowly edging closer to our home. A freak accident that destroyed our foundation as a family... Big Mac and AppleJack understood, but Applebloom was too young... I couldn’t bring myself to tell her the truth. How could I? She was simply too young...

The funeral... It had all the apple family, but it wasn’t all of us. We had lost the most important two, I remember holding your kin close by me as I heard their tears touch the floor I couldn’t help, but let mine go with them. They lowered the caskets into the ground... And with them my soul, things would never be the same again.

The caskets going lower, my eyes refusing to leave them... All the while only one thing went through my mind. It should've been me... They needed their parents, they could’ve done without me... No one mother should ever bury her own child...

But you had to leave, but it still doesn’t stop me from wishing me you were here with us... I can tell you, you’d be proud of them all, Big Mac kept his promise and protected him both, no matter how much pain he was in from losing you both... He took over and I tried my best to help him along the way.

I still cry alone in my room on various nights, wishing you were here with me, but I know... You’re in a much better place now, and I’m positive your children miss you too... But they’re so strong, I know they’re going to do great in life. The farm is at it’s best because of them, I’d honestly have given up long ago if it wasn’t for them. I promise you they grew up just fine.

I wish you’d stayed, I wish you’d seen how beautiful this family has become... No one mother should ever bury her one child... When I was young I died a little inside.”

Granny Smith reached for the picture once more and held it close to her chest, letting her tears roll down her cheeks. She looked out the window to see her three grand foals playing outside in the sun, she continued rocking on her chair, holding the photo to her chest and watching them.

“When I was young...” She said once more with a little smile on her face.