• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 7,112 Views, 269 Comments

To Live Again - _No_One_Remains_



The two puppets, Vivi and Kuja, had just learned what it meant to live when their lives ended. Blessed with second chances, they find themselves in the relatively peaceful world of Equestria.

  • ...
13
 269
 7,112

PreviousChapters Next
Vivi Day Three: Taking a Stroll

Okay, I’m feeling a lot better now. Fluttershy just made us some midnight snacks, so I’m not as sad anymore… I gotta admit, she reminds me a lot of Zidane, how she likes to sit up and talk to people about their problems. But anyway, I left off just after my nap, right? Really, nothing too extraordinary happened before I ended up at Sweet Apple Acres, but I did take a pleasant walk around town. Not that I meant to take the walk, I just kept getting lost. It’s a little sad, considering this is such a small place.

The little white bunny stood right in front of my face, tapping its foot and glaring angrily at me. I’d never seen a rabbit so angry; I was honestly a little scared. Anyway, once I finally regained my senses, the realization that the animal was mad jolted me fully awake, and I let out a loud gasp of shock. I was pretty slow to the draw, but I hadn’t slept at all the previous night.

When I let out my gasp, a frightened squeak called, “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to wake you…” Fluttershy was over in the far corner of room, which happened to serve as a kitchen for her small home.

She was preparing a large bowl of fruits and vegetables, assumedly to eat for lunch or dinner. It dawned on me that I had no idea how long I’d been asleep. “Oh, it’s okay! Say…what time is it?” I adjusted my hat, smoothing out the wrinkles.

The rabbit rolled its eyes impatiently while Fluttershy poked her head out of the window. The Pegasus mumbled, “It’s a little past noon. You sure can sleep a lot Vivi.” She finished shredding a carrot onto the pile of juicy health foods and placed the bowl on the table beside the couch I was sitting on.

The little rabbit bounced up on the arm of the chair where my head was resting and started kicking me rapidly. It had an angry frown plastered on its tiny face. It moved its mouth as if to scold me for some reason, and continued to bounce on the arm of the chair beside me.

“Angel dear, be nice to our guest.” The bunny’s owner waved a disappointed hoof at it. The animal suddenly stopped its kicking and slumped down on the chair’s arm. It slowly started to nibble on the veggies in the bowl.

I sat upright a stretched a cautious hand toward Angel, wanting to pet it. It turned around violently and shook a tiny fist at me before spinning back to its lunch. I dropped my hand to my side and chuckled, “It’s a feisty little thing, isn’t it?”

“Yes, he’s always been a handful. But I absolutely adore him!” My host placed a hoof gently on the rabbit’s head and started to scratch just behind his ear. To be honest, it made me feel bad because he acted like he hated me.

I chuckled, “It’s always nice to have a pet that loves you by your side. That’s why I’m glad Boco is still with me.” I got up from my seat and stretched, the contour of the furniture starting to bother me.

Fluttershy took a seat in a large armchair across from me. She asked, “Who’s Boco? Is he a new pet?”

It dawned on me that the only name she’d heard him referred to was Bobby Corwen, since Pinkie Pie gave him his nickname the morning before. I scratched my head and sighed, “Oh, that’s my chocobo’s new name. It’s a lot easier to say.”

She giggled, “It’s a nice name, and a cute animal. How did he end up being your pet?” She looked out the window toward the chicken coop, where Boco had been sleeping the last few nights.

I told her the story of the Black Mage Village back home, and how two of the residents had found a chocobo egg in the forest and decided to take care of it. They stayed behind to care for it even after everyone else had left to live longer lives. Those two were so happy when it finally hatched, and after our battle was over, the mages passed away. The Genomes sent me the baby chocobo as a gift for my kids.

“That’s a sad story…” she remarked after I had finished telling the tale. I guess in a way it was sad, because all of the mages stopped moving.

I sighed, “Not really sad. They passed away happy, knowing that Bobby Corwen would be safe.” I wanted to believe that, honestly.

“What were their names—the mages?”

I smiled as I cheered, “Mr. 33 and Mr. 111! They were my best friends as far as people like me went.” To say their names made me feel better. I can’t say why.

Her eyes widened and she gasped, “Those names remind me: Applejack and Big Macintosh want to talk to you! They asked me to tell you to go over to their farm so you could talk in private.” She tapped a hoof on her forehead, seemingly disappointed that she’d forgotten the message so quickly.

I chuckled, “That makes sense. Big Macintosh told me last night that they’d met some black mages just like me. I’d like to ask a few questions.” I started a slow walk for the door. “They must be busy running a farm. I don’t wanna keep them waiting too long.”

“I hope you get to see your friends again Vivi. If Applejack says she’s met them then they have to be here.” Her expression and tone were of genuine excitement. It may not have been excitement for her situation, but excitement for me. I haven’t met many people like her in my life.

I nodded to her and left the house, Boco darting up to me and pecking wildly at my legs. I sighed, “You wanna come with me pal?” He kept nodding his head from me to the white bunny on the couch in the house.

He fluttered his wings and chirped, “Kweh-kweh!” He darted into the house and leaped at the bunny before Fluttershy nodded her farewell. I closed the door behind me and hurried off.

My mind was occupied by a single thought as I started my trek into town. I couldn’t understand why someone would feel such emotion over someone else’s situation, especially when it didn’t actually benefit them… Maybe she was just such a nice person that she liked seeing others happy. That was definitely a moderately rare sight in Gaia.

Another problem took over my thoughts as I reached the Ponyville town proper: I had no clue which way Sweet Apple Acres was. While it shouldn’t have been too hard to find it in such a small place, I began to grow extremely nervous. The time I wandered into an Alexandrian alleyway came to mind. I got yelled at by a sign maker, tackled by a rat-boy, and learned how to play cards with a four-armed thief

I stopped in the dead center of the town square and looked around, hoping to find some sign to lead me to the farm. There were plenty of signs, but they were all for the different stalls and businesses in the small area. I noticed the familiar Sugarcube Corner to the side of the plaza, but beyond that all the buildings were foreign to me. I couldn’t help but wonder just how long it would take me to get to the farm, hoping my hosts weren’t getting too impatient with me.

After a few minutes of thinking and looking, I decided to ask for directions to the farm. I felt like an idiot, but I didn’t want to risk getting lost at all. I adjusted my hat and stomped into the pink building that flooded with the smell of pastries.

I was greeted by a voice, “Howdy there Vivi! Can I help you with something?” A tall yellow stallion stood behind a counter of tiny pastries on the far end of the room. He wore a small red and white top hat and a matching vest. One of the pastries in front of him had the exact same design as his clothes.

I started a slow walk up to the counter and chuckled, “Hey Mr. Cake. You couldn’t tell me how to get to Sweet Apple Acres, could you? This town’s still a little confusing…” I lowered my gaze, expecting him to laugh at me. After all, in such a small town, how could anyone get lost?

He looked up for a few seconds and said, “Well, the Acres are on the far edge of town, just about the opposite side of the Everfree Forest. If you keep following the road away from Everfree, you’re bound to get there eventually.” He then waved a hoof in a ‘you’re welcome’ sort of way.

“Thanks! I still haven’t gotten used to this place, but I’m working on it…” I turned around, nodded farewell, and set out again. All I needed to do was follow the road.

So I did. I got back on the road and hurried off. I didn’t get too far before I reached a part of town I was entirely unfamiliar with. I vaguely recognized the white-wash of the hospital I visited after first coming to town, but everything else was foreign. I figured it couldn’t be too hard to just find a farm somewhere in a small town, so I pressed onward.

After a few more yards, something struck me as I walked down the road. I caught a glimpse of a small orange blur moving rapidly past me, and the next thing I know I was spinning wildly in place. I spun for a few seconds and fell flat on my face, dizzy and slightly in pain. I turned around just in time to see the blur stop in place to talk to another pony. They were both children by the looks of it, ‘fillies’ if I remember the terminology right. The one that hit me was a Pegasus on a plank of wood with wheels.

Strange.

Anyway, after my head stopped spinning, I stood back up and dusted myself off. Of course, after being spun around in an already unfamiliar place, I had no clue where I was. I couldn’t tell which way I’d come from, or which way I was originally going. I shrugged my shoulders, let out a defeated sigh, and picked a direction to walk.

I guess I chose right, because the buildings started to thin out and give way to nature. And finally, after walking another few minutes, I reached the small white fence of what I assumed was the farm I’d been looking for. My suspicions were happily confirmed when the sign on the archway above the fence gate told me the name of the farm.

In retrospect, I didn’t get as lost as I thought I did, but it still felt like it took forever to get to the orchard. Sitting just outside of a large farmhouse was an old green mare, her gray mane tied up in a bun. She rocked lazily back and forth in her chair, looking out over the orchard. I kind of envied her relaxed state, seeing her just sitting back without a care in the world. Or at least, that’s how she looked.

A familiar voice broke me from my thoughts suddenly, causing me to flinch. Big Macintosh stood in front of me, opening the fence gate and welcoming me in.

“Welcome to the Acres, Vivi. Glad ya could make it.” He placed a hoof on my shoulder and guided me in.

I’m starting to get a little sleepy, but I need to finish this entry. I guess I’ll go get some fresh air and wake up before I get some important details mixed up.

PreviousChapters Next