• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 7,111 Views, 269 Comments

To Live Again - _No_One_Remains_



The two puppets, Vivi and Kuja, had just learned what it meant to live when their lives ended. Blessed with second chances, they find themselves in the relatively peaceful world of Equestria.

  • ...
13
 269
 7,111

PreviousChapters Next
Vivi Day Three: Apple Family Dinner

Ugh…I can barely keep my eyes open. I think I’ll keep this entry short and to the point. No garbage, just the important facts. Not much happened, honestly. We ate dinner and Applejack started asking me about the mages Big Macintosh mentioned last night.

The red stallion escorted me into the large farmhouse, where I was greeted by the smell of pancakes and two mares, both busy working in the small kitchen area to prepare the family’s dinner. The taller orange one with a yellow mane I immediately recognized as Applejack and the smaller peach-colored one with a red mane that I recognized from my little encounter in the city plaza.

How did she get there before me if I…? I guess it’s too late to worry about that now…

Anyway, the two greeted me with wide open grins, while my escort guided me toward a large oak table in the center of the room. It had a nice red-and-white checkered tablecloth lain over it, which only added to the southern-living effect. About the time I got sat down, my stomach started to grumble…embarrassingly loud, I might add.

Big Macintosh chuckled, “You hungry, fella? My sister sure can cook up some tasty pancakes.” He sent a confirming nod toward Applejack, who scanned the comment for any sign of insincerity.

She scoffed, “Darn tootin’! I’m the best cook this side o’ Ponyville!” She pulled several plates from a shelf above the stove and began to distribute the large stack of pancakes beside her evenly.

I felt a little weird. I mean, there I was just intruding on what I’m sure was a special Apple Family tradition. Then again, I also felt comfortable. I dunno, this world’s been doing strange things to me, and that moment was no different. I felt out of place, and yet I felt as if I belonged.

Whether I should’ve been or not, I was blessed with a small stack of pancakes as Applejack went around the table. Once she’d been settled in to the table, the ponies went to town on the pancakes. I was left to wonder about the green mare that had been sitting outside, but my hunger immediately drew me to follow their examples.

It’s understandable that they would dig in like that. After all, two of them worked in the fields all day while the other was a growing child. And there I was, a puppet who didn’t even have a real stomach, joining in their dinner. But it was delicious!

The blend of apple and cinnamon was to die for! Then again, I’m sure that the Apple Family was great at cooking just about anything with southern flare. Looking back, it’s kind of weird that we had pancakes for dinner…

I was almost finished with my second pancake when the others shoved their plates away with content sighs. After a second of letting of their stomachs rest, Applejack cheered, “Applebloom, be a darlin’ and get the pies off the counter, would ya?”

“Sure thang sis!” came the enthusiastic reply. At almost break-neck speed, the filly was out of sight.

While the youngest of the family was out of the room, Big Macintosh sighed, “Ya sure outdid yerself this time, AJ.” He patted his stomach in assurance of the meal’s quality. “Whatcha think, Vivi?”

Finishing the last bit of my second pancake, I chuckled, “They’re really delicious! But uh…how’d you eat them so fast? They’re so rich…”

Applejack whistled in reply, “When ya’ve been eatin’ em as long as we have, ya get used to em.” She grinned at the reassurance that her cooking was fantastic.

Applebloom zipped back into the room, four pies balancing dangerously on one hoof. She cheered, “Here ya go sis! I hope y’all like em!”

Big Macintosh sent a curious look toward the sitting sister. She clarified, “Applebloom made these all by herself. First time, ain’t that right?”

“Sure is! I hope they ain’t too bad…” The suspenseful doubt beamed from the cute filly’s eyes.

I continued nibbling away at my pancakes while the ponies eagerly downed their pies. The scent of apples and cherries flooded the room. I couldn’t help but admire the working ponies’ appetites. I’ve never been one to eat much. I’ve never really needed to eat. But they ate like they deserved every last bite, and considering they grew the apples used to make them, they really did.

I don’t know why I keep getting off on these tangents. I just…I’m in a really hazy mood. Anyway, by the time they’d finished their desserts, I was taking my last bite of pancake. Just like before, they shoved the dishes aside and kicked back in their chairs, letting their stomachs settle.

The older ponies offered words of praise to the youngest one, congratulating her on preparing such a fine dish. And once the flattery was out of the way, the two adults turned on me.

“So you’re one of them fellas that came over a few weeks back, ain’t ya?” Applejack snapped.

Caught off guard by the sudden question, I stammered, “Y-yeah, I suppose so. I’m a Black Mage, if that’s what you’re asking.”

Big Macintosh chuckled, “You look pretty similar to em. ‘Cept you’re a little short.” He raised a hoof to symbolize the height of the previous guests.

His sister continued, “And you sure do act a lot shyer. O’ course, they had that white-haired fella keeping an eye on em.” She mimicked the ‘white-haired guy’s’ posture, sitting up straight with a blank expression.

I sighed, “You don’t remember their names, do you?”

Applebloom giggled, “The weird fella’s name was Kuja! He used a lot of fancy words and liked to act dramatic!” My would-be heart skipped a beat. Confirmation. Kuja isn’t exactly a name someone just comes up with out of nowhere. I knew at that moment that it had to be the real him.

Her older sister sighed, “And them others—the ones like you—didn’t go by names. They called each other numbers. I think it was 33 and 111…”

And there it was. If I was about to do anything, I lost it right there. I remember zoning out, everything around me fading away. I wasn’t alone. There were other Black Mages. There were other people I could relate to. Even Kuja had something in common with me. All I needed to do was find out where they were.

The instant I snapped back to reality, I asked, “Do you know where they are?”

Big Macintosh groaned, “They’re off in Appleloosa helpin’ cousin Braeburn take care of a little bandit problem.” He shook his head at the thought of crime running rampant in such a peaceful area.

Applejack continued, “Got a letter a few days back saying they was gonna make another delivery before too long. I figure anywhere in the next week they’ll be showin’ up.” She thought for a few moments before adding, “Hopefully in better shape than before.”

Patience. I would need patience. If I just waited, they’d show up in Ponyville before long. And then any sliver of doubt would be completely erased. I cheered, “Thanks a lot for telling me that! I can’t wait to see them again!” Believe it or not, I was even excited at the thought of seeing Kuja.

Applebloom giggled, “Ya sure do get excited, dontcha Mister?”

“I haven’t seen them in months. It’ll be nice to catch up…” I scratched the back of my head, a little embarrassed by my outburst.

Applejack whistled, “It’s getting’ late fella. You might wanna head back to Fluttershy’s before it gets dark.” She waved a hoof toward the window, which had orange light beaming through. I couldn’t believe how late it’d gotten since I’d arrived.

Without saying anything, I nodded and headed toward the door. Before I could get there, I was intercepted by the dessert-baking filly, who essentially shoved the pie she’d made into my hands. Without saying a word, she zipped back to the table to join her siblings. With a nod, I headed on my way.

And now I’m here, lying on the couch, listening to Fluttershy sing a song to her pets. It’s a nice lullaby, actually. We shared my pie between the two of us and some of the more-special pets. Then she made sat up and listened to me ramble on about the Black Mages back home. Now I just wanna sleep.

I’m so tired… I think I could sleep for days…

Days…that’d be funny…

PreviousChapters Next