• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 4,276 Views, 100 Comments

Darkness Rising - SkyHighFlyer



When Fluttershy discover's Twilights secret, she and her friends become involved one of the darker parts of Equestria and it's past.

  • ...
28
 100
 4,276

Chapter 2, Beginning of Another Story

Fluttershy began backing away slowly, “W-what are you going to do to me?” She asked in terror, fear of her friend taking over logical reasoning, and thus causing her to assume Twilight meant her harm.

Twilight closed her eyes and looked to the floor. Now that Fluttershy could see Twilight more clearly, it became noticeable that Twilight was crying. Fresh tears were streaming down her face and landing next to the necklace on the wooden floor.

Fluttershy was distracted by the lightshow as well as her own fear, and as a result she completely forgot about the necklace. Even barely noticed it had clearly changed significantly. What was once polished silver now looked incredibly changed, not only looking old and corroded, but it had gone from a silver gray to a light violet. The engravings were still the same, but felt unwelcoming and threatening. Most importantly, the diamond had changed. Rather than its pure and clear surface, it was a swirling vortex of colors, mostly black and red but with an odd mix of other colors that looked simply out of place amongst the others. Most worrying to Fluttershy was that there was strange feel to it, almost as if it wanted to protect something.

Fluttershy’s glance at the piece of jewelry on the floor was interrupted by Twilight’s voice, “I… I… I have to… I have to… to… I have to kill you Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy started flapping her wings slightly, not quite enough to produce lift, but enough to generate a small amount of wind to disturb the environment. The purple unicorn had stuttered and repeated herself uncertainly, still considering if she had to do this, but her kind heart and a personality that always makes her see only the worst possible outcome made any other plan seem both dangerous and overly cruel to allow her to do anything other than ensure that nopony would ever find out the truth while making certain the innocent mare in front of her would have to go through little suffering. Twilight didn’t want to hurt Fluttershy, in fact she had hoped that she would never have to hurt any of her friends, but fate was once again not in her favor.

But Fluttershy’s fear got the better of her yet again, and while Twilight's discomfort was visibly showing, Fluttershy only heard the words ‘I have to kill you Fluttershy’.

“B-but why?” she asked, “I’m your friend Twilight, I promise I won’t t-tell anypony.” Twilight saw that Fluttershy was beginning to cry. Her doubts about killing her friend were rising even more now.

Regardless, she began walking towards Fluttershy. Not even three steps along and Twilight already tripped, not being aware of the new balance changes her wings would cause. They weren’t feathered wings like a Pegasus, but they threw off Twilight's balance just as much, if not more.

She attempted to stand up, and as she felt herself shift she immediately stretched out one of her wings to stabilize her balance. Unfortunately, this was the wrong wing, so rather that helping her stand, it only increased the rate at which she would decend.

Fluttershy watched as her friend attempted to get up again, only to fall down and land with her wing bent the wrong way, being kept in that position by Twilight's own weight.

Throughout the whole scene Fluttershy wanted nothing more than to help her friend. Fear however, is a powerful motivator at the best of times, and in this situation Fluttershy was already terrified about Twilight’s intentions.

Meanwhile, Twilight had gained a basic understanding of how to hold her balance, and through the process of trial and error figured out exactly what was going wrong. She took a few small steps towards Fluttershy before her doubts made her task even more difficult. She looked at the sobbing mare and the floor. She had, without even noticing, backed Fluttershy into a corner.

The expression on Fluttershy’s face was silently begging Twilight to spare her. She was curled up in the corner of the library, sobbing as she looked at Twilight with pleading eyes, knowing that this might be her last moments, and her final chance to tell Twilight how she felt.

Before she could say anything Twilight leaned down to speak to her at eye level, “Fluttershy… I’m so sorry. I never wanted to do this to you, or anypony. I want you to know that I’m only doing this because it’s what’s best for both of us. Please… forgive me.”

By this point Fluttershy had given up all hope, and now only had one thing to say, “Twilight, I just wanted to say that I… I… I love you Twilight.”

“Wait… you... you love me?” Twilight asked.

Fluttershy nodded, “I’ve loved you for a while now. You’re the only thing that keeps our friends together and you always know what to do. You're smart, a-and nice, and I… I forgive you.”

Meanwhile, Twilight started panicking. She just couldn’t do this. Her friend loved her and would be willing to forgive her even if Twilight killed her. How does one react in this situation?

Unfortunately, by the time Twilight notice that her fangs had pierced the skin on Fluttershy’s neck, it was too late to stop, she was already turning her. She could only watch the scene unfolding before her in horror.

From what started as a pinch, slowly turned into the most agonizing pain Fluttershy had ever experience. As the pain slowly spread across her entire body her screams of pain became louder and she became more and more helpless.

Twilight could only watch and listen as Fluttershy’s screams, which only a pony in the same room would even be able to hear, became more ragged and shallow. She pulled away as soon as she could, but even so she could only cry as she watched the vampiric essence spread throughout the poor mare's body.

As her friend slowly drifted into a long and painful sleep filled with nightmares, Twilight collapsed on top of her in tears.

She stayed there for hours, doing nothing but crying before she decided it would be best if Fluttershy woke up in her own bed, even if it wouldn’t be for a while. There was still the hope that being at home would make her rest more peaceful. She grabbed the necklace off the floor and put it on, the necklace reverting to its original appearance just as Twilight did.

One note for Spike later she was gone, the only evidence that anything happened were the tear stains on the floor.