• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 1,198 Views, 176 Comments

Equine Royale - MemoryLane



In a pony battle to the death, who will make it out alive, and who will perish?

  • ...
10
 176
 1,198

Everlong

No...

There's no way...

Octavia's mind was running at a thousand miles a minute as she adjusted her deceased friends sword on her back. How had she made it this far? Why her? She wasn't any pony special. She was just a cellist! Vinyl was was more suited to win that her! Why did she have to die in that accident...why couldn't have she have just died instead?

Now it was just down to her, and that pink demon. The one who had single handedly killed those near to her. She brutally murdered a young filly, and a mother, for what? To win this sick game? She spoke up getting revenge, and that killers need to perish. It was not justifiable, and if anything, Pinkamena deserved to lose this game.

Octavia had never wanted to play in the first place. It was because of a stupid mistake that she ended up in jail in the first place, along with Vinyl Scratch. And now, instead of wasting her life away in jail, she predicts her end will come much sooner than preferred. Octavia literally dry heaved at the utter nervousness of what might stand before her. Celestia was a monster, it was not because of Pinkamena that Scootaloo, Vinyl, and Ditzy were dead. It was because of her.

Octavia could not help but wonder what exactly happened to the other competitors. There had been around thirty, as the announcement had said earlier, but they are all dead. Octavia could have sworn that she saw Lyra in that room earlier. They were actually pretty good friends, although they were not the closest by any means. And now, she was certainly dead.

A few tears fell from Octavia's eyes. Her body became exceptionally limp. Her mind almost seemed to evade her as her eyes rolled to the top of her head and lost balance. She promptly slammed into the ground, smacking her forehead on the forest ground.

***

"Get up." A gristly voice barked at Octavia, soon before she felt an sharp pain in her chest. Octavia groaned and coughed, clutching her now throbbing ribcage. However, Octavia refused to stand. Her attacker, once again, kicked Octavia in the chest, as she was quickly losing her patience. "I said get up!"

Octavia grunted, after realizing just who the pony kicking her must be. She slowly got to her feet, albeit rather dizzily. Pinkamena had managed to create some space between the two, about ten feet exactly. For some reason, Vinyl's sword was still on her back. Why hadn't Pinkamena taken it? Once Octavia's vision finally cleared, she stared softly at the pink pony in front of her. Octavia must have been out for at least a while, as it was almost dawn. Just a little bit of light managed to emerge from the trees, shining radiantly off her dull coat. Mildew littered the air, although it made Octavia sick to her stomach after thinking that that may be the last thing she may ever smell.

Pinkamena seemed to be doing just fine physically. Her mane and tail were are straight and depressing as ever, and not one speck of dirt covered her body. However, Octavia could tell that Pinkamena was not doing so good mentally. Her eyes were almost like dinner plates, staring intently at her next target. She had a permanent scowl on her face that made Octavia shiver.

Octavia's heart dropped deep into her body. She almost felt like breaking down into a bawling mess. She was afraid of death. She did not want to die. She was still an aspiring musician. She wanted to play in front of crowds of millions, it's been her dream for years. And the pink pony in front of her may just keep her from doing so.

"Oh hey! How's it goin'?" Pinkamena stated. It was rather creepy to Octavia, because she could not tell if Pinkamena was being sincere, sadistic, or something else entirely. Octavia looked away, not wishing to give proper eye contact.

"I...I've been better," she admitted. Well, it was true.

"Well, that's good to hear," Pinkamena said, a small smile beginning for form. "So, it looks like it's just down to us two,"

Octavia had to mentally force herself not to stutter or hesitate, although her own efforts were in vain. "I-I guess so..." she stammered. Was it her, or did it seem like Pinkamena was rather unsettled? She shifted her weight very frequently.

"I see. I've been keeping track of the days that went by." Octavia's eyes widened. Oh no! She had completely forgotten about the time limit! How many days have passed? Uh...she couldn't remember. "It's been approximately 71 hours, and 45 minutes."

Once again, Octavia almost felt like vomiting. Her throat was so parched that it was actually beginning to hurt, although she just swallowed some of her own saliva just for the time being. "Look, in fifteen minutes, one of us it going to be dead."

Octavia was not planning on saying anything in particular, but was surprised when Pinkamena actually continued. "So, do you want to be the one that dies? Or me?"

There was a very strange pause that wrung through the forest. What was she talking about? Which one of us? She can't be serious. "Uhm. I don't understand."

"One of us has to die. As much as I would love to kill you, I cannot." Pinkamena stated, bringing a hoof unto her chest. Octavia saw a glint of something silver on her, which she presumed was a knife. "You see, I'm not a murderer. I ended the lives of those in the area because they were. Unfortunately, you did absolutely nothing wrong-"

Octavia snapped out of her passive trance when she finally realized something. "But...but you killed Vinyl! And Scootaloo! They did absolutely nothing wrong, and you killed them!" Octavia shouted. After realizing what this might lead to, although she did not wish for it to come to this, she pulled the swored off of her back. Pinkamena did not seem to be fazed in the slightest. If anything, she was having a ball idly twirling the knife.

"But, Ditzy Doo was. Don't you understand? Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good." Pinkamena explained. "Besides, I did a favor to Scootaloo."

Octavia's mouth dropped upon hearing those fatal six words come out of the pony's gullet. "What!?"

"Look at it this way." Pinkamena's scowl quickly returned, showing her distaste for having to explain herself. "For a little filly like her, what do you think is more traumatic? Say she actually won this..." Pinkamena was not quite sure what to call it. "...game. Imagine her going home with all those memories. The memories of those three days were she was absolutely shrouded by death." Octavia let out a weak cry. Pinkamena simply sighed. "What do you think is more traumatic for her? Being unable to breathe, only for it to be over it a matter of seconds, or growing up remembering those around you that died. I presume you, Vinyl Scratch and Ditzy were close to her? Hmm? How do you think she would feel upon seeing the three of you die?"

"She did see Vinyl die!" Octavia shouted, desperate to get in her two-cents.

"True. But seeing Vinyl go, alone, was better than seeing the rest of your little group perish." Pinkamena argued.

"She was just a little filly! She had no way to defend herself!" This time, tears of fury were cascading down Octavia's cheeks, gripping her sword just a little tighter.

"It was a miracle that she made it as far as she did." Octavia was going to open her mouth, but Pinkamena once again continued. "Now, I'd love to stay and chat. But we only have ten minutes to come to a consensus."

Octavia tilted her head. "Concensus?"

"Yes. You see, like I said, I'm not a murderer. I cannot kill you without becoming a murderer myself. And you, Octavia, do not wish to kill me in the first place." Octavia finally understood, although she did not want to.

"I...I'm not going to kill you!" Octavia stammered, taking a few steps back, causing Pinkamena to simply take a few steps forward. "I can't!"

"Good for you. But if one of us does not die in the next..." Pinkamena took out a watch, only to have her eyes widen not even a second later. "Six minutes, we're both going to die. I'm letting you choose, but if you refuse, I will choose for you." Pinkamena explained. Octavia's mind was absolutely rattled. She felt as if she was slowly and surely losing her sanity. She either needed to kill Pinkamena, and leave, going against everything she believed in. Or, she needs to stall, and have both of their collars explode. Octavia couldn't help but notice that both of their collars were flashing red, most likely as a warning that it is about to explode soon.

"I...I can't!" Octavia cried. She contemplated running away, but that will no doubt get her killed in the long run. Besides, she knew that Pinkamena had a good arm. All it would take was a swift toss of her knife.

"If you do not chose in the next few seconds, then I will choose for you. If you're too much of a pansy to do it, then I'll be forced to kill you myself."

Octavia could not speak. Every word got lodged in her throat, and it only seemed to be getting harder and harder. Pinkamena waited about forty-five seconds before gripping her knife tighter. They were running out of time. If Octavia wasn't going to finish this, then she was.

"Time's up!" Pinkamena screamed, before sprinting diabolically in Octavia's direction.

She was paralyzed. There was absolutely nothing she could do. The tears had stopped flowing as a new found panic rose up inside of her. Pinkamena galloped in slow motion, her eyes dead set on her brand new target. Pinkamena held out the knife, as if she was going to skewer Octavia right into a nearby tree.

Octavia closed her eyes for a split second. For a moment, she accepted her fate. But that was when she remembered something. The reason why she simply didn't kill herself earlier, the thing that was driving her to win this game, for the pony who absolutely deserved to have her last wish fulfilled.

She must do this, for Dinky and Ditzy Doo.

Octavia grabbed her sword and swung it through the air blindly. She did not even have her eyes open as she waited for Pinkamena's blade to pierce her.

Suddenly, blood splattered on one of the ponies, and a guttural cry was heard. It choked and coughed, before one of the ponies collapsed on the ground.

Octavia opened her eyes, glancing down at the sight in front of her. Pinkamena staggered back, her eyes wide wide with fear. She was very off-balance, and had various amounts of trouble standing before she finally fell to the ground. Octavia gasped as she saw what she had just done. Pinkamena had a clean cut straight through her stomach. Blood, tissue, and various organs spilled out of the stomach cavity, staining the green grass in her residue. Octavia bent down to the dying creature, her entire body shaking vigorously.

"I'm...I'm so sorry!" Octavia cried, but Pinkamena simply nodded. Pinkamena coughed, causing blood to splatter on the grey mare's coat. She let out a pained groan, and Octavia could see the amount of blood that was in her throat. A great quantity actually spilled out of her mouth, down her cheek, and to the forest floor.

"I...I don't want to die." Pinkamena choked. Octavia, not knowing what else to do, she petted the pink mare's straight mane, a few tears running down the bleeding pony's face. Soon, Pinkamena's facial features became extremely limp, and her eyes almost seemed to glaze over.

Pinkamena has died.

There was a long pause. Octavia was all alone. Not knowing what else to do, she let out an angry scream that ricocheted though the forest. She was all alone now, for she had won the Equine Royale.

***

#26, Pinkamena Diane Pie, dead

Winner of the first annual Equine Royale: #4, Octavia.

End Game.

Author's Note:

Wow. Powered through that in about three hours. Pretty decent if you ask me. Sorry about the few months without an update. I feel terrible about it, but I hope this makes up for it! Yay! Endings!(Or is it?)

Thanks for sticking with me guys, I appreciate it!

Have a good one bros!

-Cyneryk