• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 1,246 Views, 15 Comments

A hearths warming Carol - Vector-Brony



It is Hearths warming eve in Canterlot. a time of joy for all but one. her greed is all she cares fo

  • ...
1
 15
 1,246

Chapter 1

Razzle dazzle was dead to begin with. This must be understood or else what happens later on will not seem mystical.
The snow was falling thick in Canterlot as the funeral possession made its way down the main street. The dark brown coffin with it's small reef on the top were completely hidden by the snow. Only one pony was following the possession. Her black cloak was damp and the cold was making her shiver. She had been the only one who had cared for Razzle Dazzle and as his sister she had no choice but to attend. The burial in the graveyard was short and quick.
The Vicar uttered a few mumbled prayers and using his horn, he scattered earth over the hole.

Inside the chapel their was the final business of the signing of the death warrant. The vicar wrote his name and it was now down to the sister to sign.

"Sad business, for hearth's warming eve. I hope this hasn't interfered with you plans today miss Trixie?" Trixie's horn glowed and the pen began to scribbled her name and a star.

"Hardly. The theatre will open as normal and our show will be spectacular as always." The vicar was surprised at the lack of feeling this pony had for a brother.

"But aren't you going to be mourning for your loss? He was you brother!"

Trixie turned around and proceeded to walk out the door. "The great and powerful Trixie has no time to waste on the dead. The show must go on." She stepped out into the snow and back to her theatre.

Seven years passed and things changed very little. The snow was falling thick again and every pony was going about getting ready for hearth's warming day. They were buying presents and food for the dinners and parties they would be having with friends and family. But in Trixie and Razzle's theatre their was no warmth to be had. Literally. Trixie had ordered that the fireplaces are only to be lit once a week. Up it the Trixie's office, scratcher was busy writing out the ledgers of the weeks takings. He was wrapped in a pair of scarf 's and three layers of jumpers, but still he couldn't keep out the cold. He looked to the fire place with its pitiful excuse for a fire. Hardly a flame was flickering and it gave off next to no heat. Next to it was the coal scuttle with the last of the lumps (if they could be called that) in the bottom.

His mind wandered. "she's not due back for another hour. Maybe I could use one of the smaller lumps."

He hopped from his stool and moved to the fireplace. Suddenly a familiar creek came from the top step of the stairs in the hall. Quick as a flash he retreated to his stool and began to scribble furiously. The door swung open to reveal Trixie in her blue cape and pointy hat. Her expression was one of anger and frustration as she stomped pass Scratcher.

"Is everything all right Miss Trixie?"

She vented her anger at the young stallion. "Of course not you idiot. That stupid mare in the restaurant got the orders mixed up again. I swear if that place doesn't get it's act together I will never go there again."

She sat behind her desk and started to count the large stack of gold bits in front of her. They were last nights takings from the theatre performance of Hooves of fire and she was the only one she trusted to get it counted correctly. A short time passed until their was a knock at the door. Before any pony could say come in, the door opened to reveal a young stallion with a light sandy coat, dark black mane and a violin for a cutie mark. His name was Third string. He was carrying bundles of different items which he placed on the floor before he took off his cap, to look at Trixie who was cross at the distraction from her counting.

"Happy hearths warming Eve Auntie Trixie!" she didn't raise her head but she did speak.

"Humbug!"

Third string was shocked at this Comment. "Hearth's warming eve a humbug? Surely not Auntie?

Trixie finally raised her head from her counting to look with a icy stare at her Nephew. "Oh I do! And if the great and powerful Trixie could work it into her will. She would see that every stupid pony that goes around with happy hearts warming on their lips would be boiled in their own pudding and buried with a steak of holly through their heart!"

The smile was falling from Third String's face. "But Auntie"

She raised a hoof to silence him in mid sentence. " Nephew. You keep hearth's warming day in you way and i shall in mine"

"keep it? But you don't keep it!"

Trixie slammed he hoof on the table making the stacks of bits wobble. "Then let me leave it alone then! Much good it has done you! Much good it has ever done you!

This was the final straw for Third String. "There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited. But I am sure I have always thought of hearth's warming a time of happiness And therefore, Auntie, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!

Scratcher clapped his hoofs at this raising speech, but was quickly silenced by an ice cold stare coming from Trixie. "Let me hear another sound from you, and you'll keep your Christmas by losing your situation!" His nose firmly buried itself deep into the ledger "You're quite a powerful speaker, nephew, I wonder you don't go into politics.

Third sting coughed at the tenseness of the situation. "Never the less auntie the usual offer stands. Me and Octavia invite you to Hearth's warming dinner. It would make us so happy if you would say yes."

Trixie smirked at the offer as she had done every year. "I'll never understand why you married that second rate cello player."

Third string could only smile, at the simple question. "Because I love her"

Trixie just mimicked her nephew "Because you love her. Good afternoon!"

Third sting replaced his cap and gave his auntie his most softest expression. "I want nothing from you; I ask nothing of you; why cannot we be friends?"

Trixie was back to her counting "Good afternoon!"

Third string could see it was pointless talking to her. He turned to Scatcher and smiled. "Give my best regards to you wife and children Scratch."

Scatcher smiled at the kind words "Thank you sir. And all the best to you as well.

"GOOD AFTERNOON!" which was promptly followed by a ink blotter being launched by Trixie's magic at her Nephew who ducked out the door just in time.

Soon the office was quiet again, apart from the sound of the scratching of pens on paper. The clock on the wall said it was three thirty and yet again came another knock on the door. A smartly dressed stallion with a blue mane and a monocle and a mare with a pink mane and Fleur de lis cutie mark stepped into the cold office. "Hello there. My name is Fancypants and this is my wife Fleur de lis. You must be Razzle dazzle and Trixie, If I'm not mistaken?

Before Scratcher could speak Trixie interrupted. "Razzle Dazzle has been dead these seven year. This worm, is just my clerk. Now what business do you have with the great and powerful Trixie.

Fancypants straiten his monocle and spoke. "I say I do apologise. Me and my wife are trying to raise funds to help provide the less fortunate ponies of Canterlot with some basic comforts at this festive time of year.

Trixie's returned with her own line of questions. "Are their no workhouses?"

"Too many to say the least" Fancypants replied

"Are their no prisons?"

"Plenty of prisons"

Trixie laid down her pen and smiled a cold and heartless smile at the couple. "I am relived. For a moment I thought they had all been closed. Thank you for putting our mind at ease"

"Yes quite. Well our main goal is offer food and warmth to all those in need. How much may we put you down for?" Fleur levitated a note book and pencil in anticipation.

"nothing!"

"you wish to remain anonymous." Fleur asked

"I wish you to leave the great and powerful Trixie alone. My taxes go out to pay for the fore mentioned establishments. The poor must go there!"

Fancypants monocle fell from is eye and Fleur fell onto his back in shock. "Many can't go there and other ponies would rather die!"

"If they would rather die then they should do it! And decrease the surplus population!" At this they both walked out in a state of shock and horror. Never before had they met such a cold and heartless pony.

The evening show in theatre was busy as expected. The Hearth's warming eve pageant always brought in the crowds and the crowds always came with money. By quarter to nine the theatre was empty apart from Trixie and Scratcher in the office. Trixie was busy counting he money which had been stacked into neat little ranks in front of her whilst Scratcher wrote down the numbers of attendees.

He looked over to the to the clock. "five till nine." not much longer.

"I suppose you will want tomorrow off then." Scratcher jumped in fear of the voice but quickly composed himself. "If it's convenient" He quietly mumbled.

"It's not convenient, and it's not fair. If I was to stop half-a-bit for it, you'd think yourself ill-used. Yet you don't think me ill used, when I pay a day's wages for no work!"

Scratcher fumbled with is quill. "It's only once a year Miss Trixie." Again Trixie was unimpressed. "it's a poor excuse to pick a pony's pocket every 25th of December." she sighed.
"fine take the day off. But be here all the earlier the next morning!"

Scatcher beamed "Thank you Miss Trixie. And a happy hearth's warming to you!" Trixie scowled at him. " out or I'll change my mind!"

The theatre Was now empty apart from Trixie Counting away. The clock struck ten-o-clock and she decided to call it a night. The rest of the counting could wait till the morning. She pulled on her hat and cape, blew out her candle and stepped into the cold night air. Her house was a short way from the Theatre and had belonged to her brother. But after his death she had taken ownership. As she turned down a narrow street her hoofs crunched in the soft white snow. She was the only pony out at this time and it gave the place a spooky aura. As she continued she suddenly hear a voice call out. "Trixieeee" She looked around and saw no pony.

She shrugged it off. "Must be the wind." she thought to her self. Then she heard the sound of hooves behind her. She looked back to see a White Hurst being pulled by two white ponies. She stood to the side to let it pass. As it did the voice came again. "Trixieeeee" before the Hurst reached the end of the road it was gone.

Trixie shuddered at this strange sight and decide she had better hurry to her home.