• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 3,486 Views, 117 Comments

The Sound Of Drums - huffman8



Can you hear the drums, Doctor? Can you hear them?

  • ...
6
 117
 3,486

An Awful Lot of Running


An Awful Lot of Running


“Well, this isn’t where we were trying to go, but we might as well look around while we’re here.” The Doctor turned from the balcony and headed for the door of the Guestroom they had hijacked. As he walked to the door he turned to his companion, and found her laying on the king sized bed. “Are you coming, Ditzy?”

“No,” his exhausted companion mumbled from here place on the unbelievably soft bed. “I haven’t slept for three days. So I’m just gonna stay here.” A loud yawn escaped her mouth as she snuggled up under the silk blankets.
Seeing that his companion wasn’t coming, the Doctor headed for the door. “Oh well. I’ll just have a look around myself. Good night Ditzy.”

"Go nigh.” Seeing that his companion was already completely out of it, the Doctor quietly closed the door and began his investigation.

“Oh Ditzy,” thought the Doctor. “I really drive her ragged a lot, don’t I? I have to remember that these ponies aren’t Time-Ponies. They can’t keep up with us.” Pausing at an intersection, he decided to take a right. “As soon as I take care of whatever brought the TARDIS here, I’m taking her on that vacation.”

Pausing at another intersection he thought for a moment. “But I guess the real question is, why DID the TARDIS bring us here?” the Doctor softly asked to himself. “This appears to be Canterlot Castle, late-industrial period.” Glancing at a painting of Princess Luna on the wall her continued. “Probably right after the return of Luna from her banishment.”
Continuing straight down the hallway, the Doctor continued to verbally gather his thoughts. “Isn’t that when Ditzy’s from? Hay, she could go check up on things at home while we’re here. She’d like that.”

“Halt! Who are you, and how did you get in here?!” The unexpected voice snapped the Doctor out of his thoughts. A guard was standing in front of him. He did not look happy to see him.

“Sorry, lost in thought. What did you say?” The stallion in front of him appeared to grow even more irritated by his question.

“I told you to state your name, intentions, and how you were able to get in here. This area is off limits to tourists.”

“Oh, that makes sense. What, with this being the Canterlot Castle VIP guestrooms and all. Wouldn’t want somepony just waltzing up and stealing something from somepony important now would we?”

“Sir, don’t make me repeat myself.”

“Oh yes, sorry. I’m the Doctor!”

“Doctor who?”

“No, just the Doctor.” The guard continued to stare with a look of neutral suspicion. After a moment, he continued.

“Alright ‘Doctor.’ Why don’t you tell me how you managed to get in here.”

“Oh I just hopped through the time vortex. Well, actually it’s a lot more complicated than that. You see, time isn’t a… Oh, never mind. It’s a lot of complicated wibbly-wobbly timey-wimy stuff. Really, I’m just passing through. You see, I was on my TARDIS, which stands for ‘Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.’ It’s my time machine/spacecraft/ect. Wait a moment, where was I? Oh yes. I was on my TARDIS with my companion Ditzy; she’s a pegasus. We had just saved your future, you’re welcome by the way, and so we were going to this resort planet called Razzican six for some much needed rest. Lovely place, have you ever been there? Oh wait, of course you haven’t. I’m getting off topic again. Ok, we were going to Razzican six when suddenly we arrived here instead. I’m trying to find out what caused us to end up here.”

“…Sir? Are you ok?” The guard nervously looked around him, realizing that he was alone with a crazy pony. A crazy pony who had somehow broken into a heavily guarded section of the castle.

“Oh I’m doing great! Thank you for asking.”

“You need to come with me.”

“Ok, lead the way.”


=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=


“You know, when I asked you to lead on, I didn’t expect you to lead me here.” The Doctor was sitting in a cell. The guard that brought him there was standing outside. “Though, I probably should have expected it.”

“Now you just stay here while I go find out where you came from.” The guard turned to leave, happy to get away from the incessant ramblings of the insane pony within the cell.

“Can’t promise anything!” yelled the Doctor at the guard’s retreating form, earning him a few annoyed grunts in return. The guard exited the dungeons, the door clanging shut behind him.

“Well that was a setback.” The Doctor reached back and pulled out his sonic screwdriver and set to work on the cell’s lock. “Not that anything can keep me in for long.” The lock clicked open. “There,” said the Doctor as he walked out of the now unlocked cell. “Now lets get back to business.”

Pushing open the door at the end of the hall, the Doctor found another guard. Thankfully for the Doctor, this one was sleeping on the job.

“I forgot how lax security was during this period, not that I’m complaining.” The Doctor quietly slipped by the napping guard and exited the castle dungeons.


=+=+=+=+=+=+=


Meanwhile, in another part of the castle, the Master exited the archives. Her saddlebags were filled with books. Walking past the guards, she headed to her old room.

“I can’t believe that I ever used to take so many of the things those books say as fact.” Some of the ponies she passed noticed her muttering under her breath, but they didn’t think too much about it. They were used to the eccentricities of Celestia’s personal student. Muttering angrily under her breath was rather tame compared to most of the incidents the obsessive unicorn got involved it.

“It is nice to know the truth again. Then again, it’s nice to no longer be one of these mortal equines.”

“It is nice to see you again Miss Sparkle.” The Master ignored the guard that was holding the door open for her and walked through the open doors into the residential area of the castle. The guard that had opened the door watched her pass with a look of confusion. “She always says hello to me.”

“Oh get over it,” said the guard on the other side of the doorway. “She’s just in one of those moods.”

Turning a corner, the Master was soon out of earshot of the guards. “Didn’t say hello? The fact that he would get upset over that is pathetic.” Pausing at a large common room, she looked at the various ponies lounging around. “Then again, most of these ponies are pathetic.” Entering the room, she made a beeline to the door on the other side, ignoring the friendly greetings from the various ponies who live in the residential wing.

Tuning out the world around her, the Master reviewed her next step. While the list that she had made her tool write had simply been a joke to reveal who she was to the dragon, one of the steps, specifically the one where she found her lost TARDIS, was an essential part of her plans. It was the main reason for her little trip to the archives. She didn’t know where her TARDIS had hidden itself, but she hoped that she could find clues in the archives.

“Ok, think. I stole a TARDIS to escape the hell that was the Last Great Time War. I then used the onboard Chameleon Arch to change myself into a pony to keep t-them from finding me.” Shaking her head, she forced the terrifying memories of the war back. The last thing she wanted to do now was to remember what her home had become. After regaining her composure, she continued.

“Then, the TARDIS dumped me off at the West Canterlot Orphanage, and hid itself somewhere, with no way for me to find it.” By then the Master was gritting her teeth, her rage barely contained. She couldn’t believe that she hadn’t done anything to make sure that she could find that blasted machine when she regained her memories. If that wasn’t bad enough, the Chameleon Arch used up one of her regenerations to turn her into a filly. Granted she was delighted with how much power she now had, but that wasn’t the point!

“Hello Twilight!” yelled a brown stallion as he ran past the fuming mare.

“Hello Doctor.” Yes, that wasn’t the point. The point was tha…wait…. “Doctor!?”

The Master spun around and starred in shock at the retreating earth pony. She continued to stare as a trio of guards raced passed her after him. It took her a few moments after they had turned the corner before her brain started working again.

“No No No NO!” she yelled as she began running towards her room. “What is HE doing here!? I haven’t done anything yet! I am not ready for him to get involved!”

Coming up to the staircase to the next level, she paused. “Wait a second. I can teleport! Why am I running!?”

The Master’s horn glowed with magical energy and she disappeared, only to reappear in her room three floors up. Throwing her books on the table she began to pace around the room. “Alright, think think think! He doesn’t know that you’re the Master, if his reaction towards me is anything to go by. That means that he still believes that I’m Twilight Sparkle. That’s good… But what is he doing here!? He never comes here!”

She suddenly stopped pacing as a realization came to her. “If he is here, then that means that his TARDIS is close by.” A cruel smile slowly formed as she thought of the implications. “I am going to have to work quickly. I still have a great deal of things to take care of, but this is too good of an opportunity to pass up.”

She walked over to the door, a plan quickly forming in her head. “I can’t reveal myself to him yet. I still have too much to do.” Pausing at the door, she checked to make sure her laser screwdriver was securely hidden on her person before throwing off her saddlebags.

“If he’s here, then that means that he’s here for whatever that ‘mysterious threat’ that Celestia was going on about is. That pony would do anything to help anyone. Thankfully for me, dealing with it should keep him here for a while.” Thinking of a location, here horn lit up as she prepared to teleport again. “That’s still not a lot of time, but I’ve always been good at improvising.” Her horn was glowing brightly; magic was beginning to leak out as the spell fully charged. “I’m going to have to find out what he knows soon, but first, I have a few ‘tools’ to acquire.”

With that, she vanished in a flash of white.

Author's Note:

Here is the next chapter. I still don't have a pre-reader, but I think I did a much better job of editing this time.

Also, while I don't like all of the changes made to this site, I do love this Author's Note feature.

I'll try to get the next chapter out as soon as I can. Keep commenting. Those are what modivate me to write more.