• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 3,486 Views, 117 Comments

The Sound Of Drums - huffman8



Can you hear the drums, Doctor? Can you hear them?

  • ...
6
 117
 3,486

The Return of the Master

The Return of the Master


‘The Time War… The Doctor… Tardis… The Drums… Can you hear them Doctor… We will burn together… Use my name, Doctor… BumBumBumBum… I will never stop…The Drums, the Drums, the never ending drumbeat… You’re too late Doctor... I am going to kill you… I AM THE MASTER!’

As suddenly as it started, the light stopped. A lavender mare stood in the center of the room, a smirk adorning her face. She casually tossed the watch she was levitating onto a nearby table.

“It’s good to be back!” she exclaimed as she turned to leave the room. “I cannot believe how long I was an, ugh, pony.” She shivered in disgust. The mere thought of how long that she was forced to be one of those creatures made her skin crawl. She could deal with being a mare, gender switches sometimes happens in regenerations, but to be a mere pony for twenty years! Yes, the Master felt disgusted. She felt a great deal of comfort feeling both of her hearts once again. They were beating in sync to the pounding of the drums in her head.

“Now, what to do next? Oh, I know,” The Master turned left and descended the stairs to the library’s basement. Once there, she began to pull out seemingly random objects from all over the cluttered lab.

“Really, this is going to be too easy.” Walking over to a table, she began disassembling many of the gathered components. “While she still makes my skin crawl, ‘Twilight Sparkle’ has gotten herself into a rather good position. The student of Princess Celestia.” Flipping down a wielding mask, she preceded to weld several parts together.

“Although I still think that her studies were pointless at best and moronic at wost. I mean the ‘magic of friendship’ really? I can’t believe she wasted her academic mind on something so stupid. Still, the magical abilities of this regeneration surpass that of any of my previous ones.” Carefully inserting the power core into her device, she charged it using her magic and then welded the hatch shut.

“Still, I’m going to have to find the Doctor. Or more likely, I’m going to have to make him come to me.” After adding the neutronic energy converter, she began to shape the focusing lens. “Either way, it is going to take a while. But that’s ok, because I’ve got a few princesses to overthrow and a world to conquer.” Turning her full attention to her work, the Master began calibrating the emitters and installing the magical biometric security feature.

“Aaaand done!” She examined her work, taking in the detail. “It’s not like my old ‘tissue compression eliminator’ but honestly, shrinking ponies to death was getting old. So I think a laser screwdriver will do just nicely.” The Master stopped her musings as she heard the front door slam open and then closed.

“Twilight! I’m back!” The Master smiled the dragon’s return.

“Lets see if I can get the fax machine to work for his new and improved Master willingly,” she said to herself. “If not, well its been a while since I last hypnotized somepony. I could use the practice.”

“Twilight? Are you there?”

“Spike! Get down here! I need you for something!” The Master didn’t even try to hide her smirk as the unwitting dragon descended the stairs.


==========+=========


Inside her room in Canterlot Castle, Celestia shivered as a feeling of dread wash over her. It worried her immensely, for the last time she felt like this was the very moment that Discord broke free from his prison.

“Not again,” she thought. “Every time something terrible happens.” She thought of when she had felt it right before her sister turned. “That was the last time I ever ignored those feelings.” Her train of thought was broken when her sister, Luna, barged into her room, a look of worry adorning her face.

“Sister!” exclaimed Luna. “Has thou felt that We have felt?” Celestia took in her sister’s appearance. She appeared distraught. As she looked into her eyes, she could even detect faint traces of…fear?

“Sister?” Luna’s voice broke Celestia from her trance. Regaining her composure, she replied to her sister’s question.

“Yes Luna. I have.”

“It doth feels as if an old enemy hath returned.”

“Luna, you’re speaking in old Equish again.” Luna’s eye twitched in annoyance at being corrected. Celestia had always found that reaction to be funny.

“Now is not the time for this, dearest sister.” Her annoyance was clearly visible in her voice.

“Agreed.” Celestia stopped talking as the intense feeling of dread returned for a moment before once again dying down to a feeling of unease. She glanced over to her sister to see that she had felt it as well.

“Tia?”

“Yes Luna?”

“Something bad is going to happen soon.” The look of worry on Luna’s face did little to ease the nerves of her older sister. “Our ‘feelings’ have never been wrong before so we know that something is coming. I must ask: Do you know what it is?”

“No, I do not.”

“Then what are we going to do?” Celestia paused at this question. Turning away from her sister, she walked over to her writing desk.

“We’ll do what we can do,” Celestia replied as she pulled out a blank piece of parchment. “Watch the night Luna. We will put the guards on alert. I shall also contact the Elements of Harmony.”

“The Elements, sister?”

“Yes.” Noting the curiosity on her sister’s face she continued. “The Elements have a tendency to get mixed up in the middle of things. They are going to get involved anyway, so we should at least prepare them.”

“Ah,” said Luna. “That makes sense.”

“Besides,” continued Celestia. “My faithful student has proven herself quite capable of dealing with threats. And on top of this, she is a genius. If anypony can discover what it is we face and find a way to defeat it, it is her.”

“Twilight Sparkle is a great mare.” Her curiosity satisfied, Luna turned to leave. “We shall contact our Royal Intelligence Agency. Hopefully we shall be able to find out what, or who, has returned. We shall return to thou when We have learned more.”

“You are using old Equish again.”

“Good bye, dear sister.” With that Luna left the room, leaving Celestia alone with her thoughts.

“I have faith in all of us,” she said as she turned back to the letter. “Especially you, my faithful student. You have never let me down when I have truly needed you.” She attached her seal to the scroll and sent it. Knowing that Twilight was now aware of the situation, she turned to leave the room. There was still much to do and the task was a difficult one. She had to prepare to face an unknown threat that she knew was coming, but didn’t know when, where, or how it would materialize. At the same time she had to keep up the appearance that nothing was wrong. Yes, it was going to be difficult indeed.

“Whatever this threat is,” she stated with confidence. “At the very least, I can count on the ponies closest to me to stand with me against it.”