• Published 6th Jan 2012
  • 3,849 Views, 54 Comments

The Ponyville Way - Thorax



Sometimes even friends want to strangle each other.

  • ...
5
 54
 3,849

Episode 1: Rude Awakenings (Carrot/Ditzy)

It was a quiet evening in Ponyville, the streets were silent and the candles had been blown out. Like most days at about 7pm the shops began to close and ponies returned to their homes to spend the rest of their evening with their families. Though Carrot Top had just returned to her home, she had no family waiting for her. To some she may seem like a lonely mare but that's just how she liked it, just her some pop corn and some late night television.

After several hours of watching her favorite series Mythbuckers, Carrot had finally decided to pack it in for the night. She turned off her television and checked her doors to ensure they had been locked. Though Ponyville wasn’t one of the safest places in Equestria, the inhabitants knew that if any creature truly wanted to get them they wouldn’t bother using the front door. However the residents had learned a long time ago to lock their doors as the resident party mare Pinkie Pie could strike at anytime, and for just about any reason.

After double checking all the doors to ensure she wouldn't have any late night parties, Carrot Top made her way up stairs. After brushing her teeth she headed to her bedroom. She climbed into her bed and placed her head on her pillow and almost instantly she fell into blissful sleep.

*Thump, Thump, Thump"

The sudden sound shook Carrot Top from her sleep and she plummeted to her death or to the floor which ever was closer.

Carrot picked herself off the floor and looked around the room for any sign of what had awaken her.

*Thump, Thump, Thump"

The Door! Carrot top realized, she left her room and headed down stairs, as she reached her front door lack of sleep and paranoia set in. What if it's a serial killer? She thought.

*Thump, Thump, Thump*

What if it wants to kill me and then turn me into cupcakes? Carrot Top paused for a moment and tried to remember why that thought seemed so familiar after several seconds of deep thought Carrot remembered exactly where she had heard it before. It had been the plot of an extremely bad horror movie she had watched a few days earlier.

*Thump, Thump, Thump*

Now or never she thought to herself as she prepared to open the door. However before the poor mare could even see through the small crack she had opened. Whatever or whoever was on the other side of the door decided to begin the attack.

"You won't turn me into Cupcakes." She yelled as she closed her eyes and threw her hooves up defensively.

"Why would I do that?" Her attacker asked.

Carrot Top didn't dare lower her hooves, though she recognized the voice. She slowly began to open her eyes and as her attacker came into focus all sense of fear was removed and was replaced with a sense of relief, relief and anger.

"Ditzy!? Are you insane? It's 3 in the morning, what are you doing here?" Carrot asked the wobbly eyed mare.

"Sorry Carrot, I didn't mean to scare you." she answered as she began to climb off the orange mare.

"It's okay Ditzy" said Carrot as she pulled herself back up for the second time in the last five minutes. She wiped the dirt of herself and turned back to her friend "So, what are you doing here anyways?"

Ditzy began to shift her hooves awkwardly as she attempted to avoid the question, hoping that Carrot might just forget and invite her inside. However Ditzy's luck still hadn't changed.

"Ditzy? Are you going to tell me why you're here or not?" Carrot asked again as she began to grow impatient.

Ditzy's eyes began to shift even more than usual never focusing on the same thing, yet neither of them ever locked on Carrot top.

"Well you see Carrot; it’s a funny story actually." She said with a nervous chuckle "I kind of don't have a house anymore." she finished with another chuckle.

Carrot was stunned "What do you mean, don’t have a house? Are you okay?"

Ditzy looked even more awkward now "Don't worry Carrot, I'm okay. There was just a tiny explosion and some fire and another explosion and possible more fire."

If Carrot Tops jaw could have dropped any further, it would have but as the laws of the universe currently stood, it couldn't.

"Explosion!? Fire?! What happened!?" Shouted Carrot Top. Quickly realizing how loud she had been and covered her mouth with a hoof.

"I was working on a project and something went wrong, then it went really wrong, then I ignored it. Now I don't have a house."

Ditzy said as she pulled a partially charred piece of paper from her mail bag.

Carrot Top took the sheet from Ditzy and began to read "Luna's starter kit for extreme Scientists" She tried to make out the rest of the writing but had no luck. "So you blew up your house using a foal’s science kit?" she asked. Carrot had always known Ditzy was a little strange but she never knew she was capable of this.

Ditzy shook her head "No, no I contacted Princess Luna directly after the accident, She told me that there must have been a mix up with the box. I didn't get Luna's starter kit for extreme scientists; I got Nightmare's starter kit for extremely evil scientists. The Princess even said she would pay for the damages to rebuild my house."

Carrot Top was having a hard time processing everything she had just heard.

"So you're telling me because of a simple boxing mix up, you managed to blow up your house?

Ditzy nodded her head "That's about right, which leads me to why I'm here. Could I stay with you for a bit?"

Carrot Top was hesitant to answer; she loved Ditzy like a sister, a sister who had just blown up her house but a sister nonetheless. "Don't you have any family in Ponyville?"

Ditzy shook her head "No pony in Ponyville the only family I have is in Canterlot and I already know they don't have any room. Though Princess Luna did invite me to stay at the castle."

Carrot Top raised an eyebrow "Really? The Princess invited you to stay at the castle? Why didn't you accept? It’s beautiful up there."

Ditzy Shrugged "Apparently Princess Luna really wanted me to come stay with them, but Princess Celestia told her they already had too many Characters in their story, whatever that means."

Carrot stared at the grey mare; Ditzy really didn't have anywhere else to stay. Carrot Top knew she had the room, and deep down she knew she couldn't leave her friend hanging.

Just as she was about to give Ditzy the good news she noticed the pleading look on her face. It was quite funny actually Ditzy was trying to give her best sad filly face. However due to her eyes she appeared to be suffering from motion sickness

Carrot Top laughed "Okay Ditzy, I've got an extra room upstairs, make yourself comfortable."

For a split second both of Ditzy's eyes focused on Carrot Top and a look of pure joy covered her face.

"Oh thank you, thank you so much Carrot." She say joyfully as she hugged her bestest friend in the world.

With everything settled the two mares went back into the house. Ditzy and Carrot spent most of the evening talking. Carrot had learned that Ditzy's Project was actually an attempt to bake muffins using a small fusion reactor and some Tesla coils. Apparently some of the batter had seeped out of the pan and caused a meltdown. However the built in fail safe was all that saved Ponyville from total destruction.

Eventually the two mare had grown too tired to stay awake any longer Ditzy had already begun to drift off to sleep. Carrot Top was beginning to have a hard time keeping her eyes open. Carrot shook Ditzy out of her nap and the two mares headed off to bed. However Carrot Top had a hard time falling asleep as she came to the sudden realization that Ditzy had attempted to bake a batch of muffins with nuclear fusion. The very thought that her out of every pony in Equestria had been given nuclear capability terrified her to the deepest level. However fear began to give way to tiredness and as sleep finally began to take Carrot she began to think about how nice it might be to have someone to talk to more often.

.

Little did Carrot Top know, her life was about to change forever, or at least until Ditzy's house was rebuilt. Though probably forever.

(Author note: Before you post that comment, No I don't know how ponies brush their teeth. It's 2am if I had all the answers I wouldn't be here right now.)