• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 6,263 Views, 69 Comments

Robotech; a new world - Fireheart 1945



What if the SDF-1's hyperspace fold had taken it to the planet of the ponies?

  • ...
16
 69
 6,263

Chapter 1; Hyperspace fold jump

Captain Henry J. Gloval had been having one of the worst days of his life.

Not only had a massive alien armada appeared out of hyperspace, but that same fleet had launched a devastating attack on Macross Island, having wrecked much of Earth's own space fleet in doing so. So far, the Robotech forces in the atmosphere were holding their ground, but it was only a matter of time before the enemy began a concentrated assault on the battle fortress and captured or destroyed it, leaving Earth at the mercy of the aliens.

And to make matters worse, the SDF-1, the massive battle fortress that he commanded, had fired first; the crew had been unable to shut down the ship's main battery, which had fired on it's own after it had detected he alien ships, and destroyed two of them.

No, this wasn't what he had hoped for when he became captain, not at all.

To make matters worse, the alien-made gravity pods had broken away from the ship instead of lifting it when he had tried to have the ship take to the skies. The ship had ignominously crashed back to the ground. Now, he was going to try again, with the engines made on Earth. He hoped the SDF-1 would make it.

After centuries and milennia of existence, shooting and slashing at each other, is it all now going to be put to an end by alien invaders? The SDF-1 had crashed to Earth a decade ago, in 1999. A massive world war had been in play at the time. After humans had examined the ship, they had no choice but to conclude that there were alien powers in the galaxy - if not the universe - who had superior technology, superior by far compared to anything humans could make.

The major powers of the world realized that Earth was vulnerable, and any aliens who had technology comparable to that on the giant ship could attack the planet. The war ended inconclusively, with the nations of Earth unifying under one government, thus ending most threats of war on the planet itself. For ten years, human beings had worked on the massive ship, trying to come to grips with the new technology they had found. A large city, named after the island it was built on, grew around the great ship as it was remade into a spectacular battleship, capable of defending Earth from alien attack.

Gloval had always feared that the aliens would come looking for their lost ship. Now those fears had been confirmed.

"Enginnering reports that backup rockets are fueled and ready for firing." That was Claudia Grant, lover of ace pilot Roy Fokker. She was one of officers who worked on the bridge of the SDF-1, along with Lisa Hayes and bridge operators Vanessa Leeds, Sammy Porter and Kim Young. None of them had any experience in space combat; neither, for that matter, did the Captain himself.

"How's the evacuation progressing Lisa?" Claudia continued. The population of Macross City had taken to flight, running and driving for the nearest shelters.

"All the civilians have been safely transported to shelters. The city's deserted," answered Lisa. She was a very tough, though young, woman who despised any breach of command; she had proven that when a civilian pilot had found himself stuck in one of the new Veritech fighters.

"Very well. Fire the main booster rockets. We'll be lifting off immediately," Gloval said, with no hesitation.

"I hope the standby boosters work." Lisa sounded worried; she had every right to be, after the failure of the gravity pods.

"They'll work Lisa, they were made on Earth." He put a hand on the young officer's right shoulder. "Alright?" Then, in the voice a captain must use when issuing an order, "Blast off!"

"Yes sir," the bridge crew chorused."

Sure enough, the ship's human-made engines proved capable of lifting her into the sky where the alien made gravity pods had failed. The SDF-1 lifted higher and higher into the sky; soon Macross Island looked tiny in comparison with the enormous battle fortress.

I only hope we're not too late.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The alien forces continued attacking the city, with large, two-legged war machines that could carry laser guns or missiles or both. The Robotech Defense Forces were managing to stand their ground, but it was an intense fight, and much of the city was already in ruins. It hadn't helped that the enemy armada had fired a devastating bombardment from orbit, further wrecking the city and inflicting losses on the ehlpless civilian population.

Roy Fokker had had one heck of a day, to say the least. He had lead the Veritech squadrons in repulsing an enemy aerial attack, and fought on the ground; the ability for the Veritech fighters to switch between three different modes of operation made the defenders very flexible, capable of battling both land and sky. The enemy could not say the same, which was one of the few advantages Macross Island's defenders had.

Now, he was returning to the SDF-1 with his young friend, Rick Hunter, and a young girl who had found herself in his plane. He was talking with them over the radio, with their images on camera in front of him.

"She doesn't want to go to the ship Roy, she wants to go back to Macross Island." Yes, Rick Hunter sounded quite a bit like a bratty ittle brother. His actions just before the alien attack hadn't helped that image; he had blasted into the middle of a Veritech performance and had flown so low that Roy could have sworn Rick's plane had passed within inches of his head.

"Are you crazy? The place is crawling with aliens; it would be suicide for her to go back there." Then, after thinking for a split second, Roy asked, "Did she give any reason for wanting to go back?"

"Well..." Not for the first time today, Rick sounded unsure. He had, after all, been forced up into the aerial battle in a Veritech fighter... which he had proceeded to crash into Macross City and had done, in the words of Lisa Hayes, "More damage than the enemy".

"Well I'm worried about my aunt and uncle back in the shelter with the invaders all around them." The young girl, Lynn Minmay by name, had spoken. She sounded worried. Roy didn't blame her for that.

Roy put on a smile. "They're perfectly safe there. The shelters are impregnable."

Minmay wouldn't give up. "But I still want to go back to the island. It's my home."

Roy found it hard to resist her heartfelt plea. "I promise, as soon as the war's over I'll take you back there personally."

Minmay made a despairing sound, but Rick started to look angry. He pointed a finger at Roy. "What do you mean, you'll take her back? I will."

As he said this, Minmay let out a "huh?" and Rick turned, putting a hand infront of his mouth.

Roy almost burst out laughing, but kept control over his senses; he'd learned that control over a lifetime of being a fighter pilot. Then he looked up and saw the SDF-1 up ahead. "Hold on a minute Rick." He tuned into the SDF-1's radio frequency. "This is Skull Leader, calling SDF-1, over."

Lisa Hayes showed up on another video monitor. "Did you find him?" she asked.

Roy smiled. "He was annoying a young lady, I had to rescue her as well."

"You rat!" said Rick.

"So that's our civilian pilot. I wondered why he didn't know how to fly his plane," Lisa said, seeing Rick on one of her monitors.

"Rick pointed at his own monitor. "Who's that old sourpuss Roy?"

"Old sourpuss!?!" Lisa burst out indignantly.

Roy laughed; her face was priceless. "That 'old sourpuss' is our control operator, Lisa Hayes. And if you think she looks like an old sourpuss, you're not as grown up as I thought you were, Rick." He chuckled. He couldn't help it.

"Now listen, Commander Fokker," Lisa began, angrily. "You'd better have a good explaination for turning a Veritech fighter" - here she looked over her shoulder at Captain Gloval, who was trying to hide the fact that he was laughing - "over to an amateur civilian pilot. You could be court-martialed, you know."

"Oooh, she's mad." Roy made a scared face.

"As for you, Rick Hunter, you're in a lot of trouble, whether you know it or not," the angry bridge officer said, pointing at Rick.

"This whole thing is her fault," Rick said, which had a bit of truth in it; it had been Lisa Hayes who had forced Rick to go up in the Veritech.

Minmay leaned forward. "I think I'd apologize if I were you Rick." Then, cupping a hand to her mouth, she added, "Women her age can get awful mean, you know."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in low orbit, the SDF-1 had managed to link up with the remains of the Earth fleet. While losses had been heavy, most of the Robotech equipment had come through the fighting, and the Veritech fighters were returning to the ship.

Fokker's landing had been confirmed, although Lisa was none too pleased about it. Back on Earth it appeared that the alien ground forces were retreating, not that that was surprising; they had lost half their number or more in their assault on Macross City.

The Captain, though, was not in a celebratory mood. The enemy forces, from what he'd seen of them, seemed to be mostly holding back for some reason. He had discussed this with Lisa, but had not come to a conclusion as to why the enemy appeared to be content to let the SDF-1 link up with the remains of the fleet.

His thoughts were rudely interupted when he saw incoming laser beams from the alien fleet; bright blue beams flashed by the bridge, mssing the SDF-1 but slamming into several human vessels and destroying a number of them.

"Brace yourselves!" Gloval cried out as pieces of the destroyed and damaged ships slammed into the SDF-1. The enitre ship shook.

Finally, the shaking stopped. "Vanessa, what's their position?" the Captain asked urgently.

"The current attack is from the exact same location as the first one, Captain Gloval, but it's ten thousand miles from here."

"Reporting... Miranda, Surfcee and ARMD 3 were destroyed," said Lisa.

Sitting back down, Gloval said, "They're tearing our fleet to shreds. What about our damages?" That last was for damage to the SDF-1.

"We've taken no direct hits, captain," reported Sammy.

"No damage shown anywhere sir," said Kim.

"What is our position?" demanded Gloval.

"Umm... we're just closing our initial orbit, approaching our original position over Macross Island, altitude of 100 miles."

"Claudia, steer for a landing on Macross Island. At 2000 feet altitude, activate the fold system for a position jump," the Captain ordered.

"Are you sure you want to do that Captain? The fold system hasn't even been tested yet." Claudia sounded scornful of the idea.

"I realize how risky it is, Claudia, but if we stay in this position, we'll be totally defenseless."

"But we're not even sure how the system works," Lisa chimed in.

Gloval lost his temper. "We can't just surrender Lisa! We have to try everything first." Then, calming down, he added, "Ready the fold system for a position jump, targeting the area behind the moon." Turning to Lisa, he said, "Get your radar busy on an access check, Lisa. We'll make the jump from precisely 2000 feet above the island."

Claudia made a surprised sound. "Don't we need permission from headquarters?"

"This is an emergency, we don't have time for that."

"But Captain, you know the regulations specifically... uhhh," Claudia said, at the look on his face. "Sorry, sir."

Captain Gloval walked over to her. "I know what the regulations say, but I appreciate you bringing it to my attention."

"I just want to.."

"CLAUDIA! You've got my order." Gloval turned around, facing the rest of the bridge.

"Yes sir, Cap-tan", Claudia said, reluctantly. Then, addressing the rest of the ship, she said, "Attention all hands, priority; fold system standby. Reading maximum green energy at all power stations. All hands to emergency positions, repeat, all hands to emergency positions. This is not a drill, prepare for fold in t-minus five minutes and counting. Mark."

With that, the SDF-1 began it's decent back towards Macross Island.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a short while, the SDF-1 had reached the designated point for it's jump.

Claudia again came in over the speakers; "We will enter fold in ten seconds... nine... eight... seven... six... five... four... three... two... one... zero."

Captain Gloval gave the order; "Execute hyperspace fold jump!"

A massive bubble grew outside the ship; within seconds it had engulfed the SDF-1, Macross Island, and much of the surrounding airspace.

Within the bubble, everything grew distorted as the fold began to take place; one the sea, two navy carriers rocked and swayed as the bubble enclosed them. the light brightened, dimmed, and everything appeared to triple in number. Everyone could feel something in their bodies and their heads. Back on Macross Island, in their shelters, the civilians could feel the affects as much as anyone.

The bubble grew brighter, and brighter, and then, suddenly, it, and everything within it, vanished.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in space, the Zentraedi Commander, Lord Breetai, saw the bright flash and exclaimed "A fold! I don't believe it!"

"Impossible at that altitude!" Said minister Exedore, who was at his side.

"It may be impossible, but they did it!" Breetai shouted.

"What do we do now, Commander?"

Breetai growled. "I want to be informed of their exact location immediately!"

"Now sir?" said a subordinate Zentraedi officer, who had been listening.

"Now!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bubble rematterialized, having brought the SDF-1 to an area of space... although it had not come alone...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Ponyville, most ponies had already gone to bed. However,Twilight Sparkle could not stop gazing at the stars, hoping to find something new to analyize and catalog. The stars shone brightly overhead, and the moon lit the sky and the groud below.

As she continued to walk home, a bright flash appeared in the sky, brighter than the moon by far. She stared as it grew brighter and brighter, then... just disappeared.

Twilight couldn't believe what she had just seen. She ran home and, being careful not to wake up Spike, who was sound asleep, got out her telescope and gazed at the area where the bright flash had appeared.