• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 1,334 Views, 3 Comments

Fluttershy's New Friend - Theblindrat



Fluttershy really does not like to meet strangers... but this seems promising.

  • ...
4
 3
 1,334

How It Began

Chapter 4: How it began

Roadie was flying alone looking for a place to sleep through the night, and the sun was going down fast, but Roadie was acting faster. He did not like the creatures of the night, nor did he like the dark, which only boosted his determination to find somewhere to stay. Roadie shuddered when he saw the moon start to rise; it wasn't from the night, but from the cold, which was quite odd considering that it was early spring. He was searching rather frantically at this point, he did not care where, and it could be a cave for all the flying feathers he gave, as long as it was safe. He was looking as far as he could see, but all he saw was trees and a dirt road beneath him as he followed looking for civilization. He was following the road when he saw a white mare Pegasus walking slowly by herself. He did not waste any time to fly down and ask directions, the cold air stinging his eyes and burning his throat at the speed he was moving.

He came to a dead halt as he reached the Pegasus, she had turned around to face Roadie in a defensive stance, as if she knew he was coming the whole time, she looked ready to strike at any given moment. Roadie was startled and even more alarmed, because he had never seen a pony like her before. She had a white coat (which wasn't uncommon) and a black mane and tail with a thick red stripe heading straight through the middle of both, it was perfectly balanced out with the black on both sides. She wore a gray leather jacket with a short collar, along with an expensive-looking pair of aviators, which was odd because it is still night time. But altogether this Pegasus was a bit shady looking.

Roadie looked horror-struck, he was squinting and biting his lower lip, hooves straight up in the air, still flying. He was not scared of her appearance, but was scared instead of whether or not she was going to decide on an attack. She saw the terrified expression Roadie had on and stood straight, saying, "I'm sorry, I thought with the speed you were moving, that you were going to attack me." Her voice was soft, but it sounded a LOT like Vinyl Scratch's, but more serious. Roadie's expression changed to comfort as he realized this mare was not hostile, he sighed as his ears flopped down. The mare saw his guard go down, and took this chance to ask his name. "So, you got a name buddy?" Roadie's ears went back up. The word buddy made him feel a lot more comfortable around her, as it signaled a friendship forming. Roadie licked his freezing-cold lips, and whistled his signature melody to another stranger once again. The mare really enjoyed the short melody, and then realized what he was actually doing, he was communicating. That didn't stop her from enjoying the music. She opened her eyes, "Roadie, huh? That's quite the name." She smiled, revealing to Roadie a very sharp set of teeth, as if belonged to a carnivore, although he was unmoved by them. Roadie was actually shivering violently from the cold, the sun was completely down now, and the moon was up just over the tree line. The mare quickly stated, "You can call me Anonymous." She saw the shivering and flew over to Roadie, gently putting her hooves on his shoulders and they both landed. She placed a wing over his shoulder; she was unnaturally warm, as if controlled by a mental thermometer. Roadie was very thankful for this kindness, and he returned the kindness with a 'thank you'. Anonymous shrugged, "It's nothing, anything I can do to help somepony in need and it looked to me like you were in need my friend." Roadie's heart was warmed at the word 'friend', more so than when she said buddy.

Roadie really wanted to get out of the darkness of the woods and the cold, so he couldn't help but whistle in an asking tone, "Do you know somewhere we can get out of here? I really don't enjoy the cold" He was still so un-nerved about the weather that was in the wrong time of year. Anonymous looked back up at the dirt road in the direction they were heading, and said, "Well we're maybe a quarter mile to a city called 'Manehatten' in that direction." She tilts her head towards the road, and Roadie can almost see lights. 'It sure must be a vivid city to be seen at a quarter mile through the dark of night.' Roadie nodded and smiled. So they walked towards Manehatten and talked about what they liked to do in their spare time and what their favorite hobbies were, stuff like that. Then Anonymous hit a sore subject, "So, where you from Roadie?" Roadie's ears went down, and that made Anonymous tighten her grip around him with her wing, she looked almost as sad as he did, because she knew what he was going to say. "I'm not from anywhere…" he whistled sadly, "I've wandered around Equestria my whole life, helping other ponies with small-hand tasks and trying to find somewhere to sleep every night."

Anonymous almost started crying, feeling extremely sympathetic for this colt she had just met. She said, "I can't relate to not knowing where you're from, I'm from the forest. But I grew up alone, learning how to survive on my own, not knowing how to cook or build a shelter. I lived in a small hole in a tree until I grew too large to fit in it." Roadie felt his spirits being lifted by this mare's understanding. A lot of ponies didn't care much for Roadie, even though he only wanted to help everypony he possibly could. They both smiled at each other and knew they were going to be good friends. "Thanks for not freaking out by the way." Anonymous said with a slight shame. Roadie was confused, and whistled a long, bluesy harmony, "Why would I freak out, because you're different? I'm different too, and I got made fun of growing up and sometimes still do for my inability to speak. I was once getting made fun of by a colt a lot older than I was, and I realized that he wouldn't have been making fun of me, if he could only realize that I wanted to help other ponies. So I gave him about 12 bits and pointed him the direction of the candy shop. I slung my guitar around my shoulder and left town. When I came back about a year later, he didn't bother me a single bit, because he realized that just because somepony is different, doesn't mean they should be treated differently, and I believe the same."

Anonymous was touched, "I'm glad to have met you, someone who cares and understands, and that's rare to find in a pony." They looked back up to realize they were walking on concrete, and they had just walked into the gates of Manehatten. Anonymous still had her wing around Roadie, and he was comfortable. They walked into a motel to rent a room for the night. Anonymous said "Just for one pony." Roadie didn't understand, and then she looked at him and said, "I don't sleep, it's not in my… nature." Roadie was about to insist that she stayed to keep him company when the cashier for the motel looked up and saw Anonymous. The cashier was almost thrown into a panic, and they could tell. "Gimme just one second…" She forced a smile onto her face as she picked up the phone. Roadie wasn't fazed, looked like an innocent phone call to him, but Anonymous was nervous… REALLY nervous. "Yes police, I have a bit of a problem here." Roadie's eyes grew wide as he realized what was happening. She was being treated differently, as a monster, an outsider, an abomination. Anonymous grabbed Roadie and flew out the front door. Roadie just continued with her, they were both flying down the sidewalk as they heard shouting behind them, "Stop!" "Police, stop where you are and throw your hooves up!" Roadie was tempted to stop, he didn't want to break the law, and this was resisting arrest, but then he would leave his friend to fend for herself. Roadie turned around and noticed that the policemen had swords drawn, clenched tight in their teeth on the faces filled with determination and loyalty to their oath.

Anonymous leaned over and said loudly, "You have to go! I don't want you involved in this!" Roadie shook his head, he wasn't about to leave her in her time of need. She saw the stubbornness, "No really! I don't want you to get hurt, this isn't your life! It's mine! Your job is to spread happiness to the world! Mine is to get the world to accept m-" She was cut off as one of the policemen nearly caught up with her and took a swing at her with his sword, he shaved some of her coat off. "Go, now!" Roadie's leg was slashed on the inside of his haunch just above his knee, he didn't feel it. Roadie's eyes filled with tears as he was forced to flee the city, faster than any of the policemen that were there, faster than they could dream of being. He didn't care which direction he was heading, as long as he was away like Anonymous said.

Roadie was crying, hard, not from the fact that he had a large gash on the inside of his leg, but because he had to just leave someone he was getting to know as a friend. Roadie landed in a park, there were quite a lot of bushes around him, so he grabbed a large leaf from one and used it to wipe the nearly frozen tears off of his face. He looked around for some helpful plants. He saw some Thyme, which he grabbed a small hoof full of, and hung on to it. There were telltale signs of a ginger root he saw on the ground, he pulled it up and ate it to relieve the dizziness from blood loss and to prevent the blood from clotting too soon. He also saw some Witch Hazel and some Mint. He crushed the Thyme, Witch Hazel and Mint together as his special natural remedy which he had whipped up on the spot. The Thyme and the Witch Hazel both were to help ease the pain, but the Witch Hazel was mainly to reduce the swelling that was sure to come. And the Mint was just a muscle relaxant, so that it wouldn't get so tense and cause his leg muscles to get pulled. He got another large leaf and spread the powder across it, left it there while he got another leaf to wipe off the wound. He looked at the wound, and it was a lot deeper and bleeding a lot more than he had expected, the fern he grabbed was already slightly wet, so he didn't have to lick it. He used it to wipe off the excess blood coming off of his thigh, and quickly before it could bleed any more, he placed the leaf with his remedy powder on it onto his wound, and held it there as he reached to grab a few flax plants that were nearby, he gently removed the flowers as if he didn't want to hurt the plant, and braided the stalks together to form a small rope. He used his makeshift rope to tie the makeshift Bandage into place. It was a lot healthier and probably even safer than using basic hospital dressing, but the people who ran medical centers much rather use cotton bandages for whatever reason. Roadie stood up, stumbled a bit, but stood up. And shook his gashed right leg to make sure the cast was tight enough. 'I didn't spend that much time of my life in the wilderness to learn nothing'. He made sure his guitar was still on his shoulder, thankfully it still was. He pulled it out and spent the night away playing songs by Bob Dylan. He played 'Don't Think Twice' as the sun rose; Roadie told himself that he WOULD see Anonymous again. Eventually he became so tired that he was out fast asleep right there in the park.

He woke up, dazed and confused, because he wasn't in the park anymore; he was in a tree, with shelves, and books in those shelves. There was a lot of nice décor in the tree, but Roadie was too confused about where he was and how he got there to acknowledge it. He was greeted by a light purple Unicorn. "Oh, you're finally awake; I knew you weren't dead out there! Spike! He's up!" A small, purple and green baby dragon came hobbling down the steps from a nearby overlook of the room. "Really?" The dragon looks over to the colt lying on his back on the sofa against the wall. "Oh man you should have seen it, we went out there to gather some plants to help Zecora collect some hers for her potions, and we see you there, all… unconscious and whatnot, so Twilight here picked you and your guitar up with her magic and we got you all the way back here to help fix you up!" Twilight smiled quite ecstatically at her work. Roadie threw off the blanket to make sure his leg wasn't bleeding all over her sofa. In fact, he wasn't bleeding at all, and the wound was completely closed up into a large scar, it wasn't pretty, but it wasn't ugly either. But then again it didn't really matter how it looked, because it was somewhere where he didn't need to show it off or anything, and he wasn't one for showing off in the first place.

Roadie pointed at the scar and raised a brow at Twilight. She was just as confused, "I didn't fix it if that's what you're wondering, when we pulled that leaf off from around your leg, we did have to scrape a lot of bloody plant bits off, but the wound was completely healed. Don't worry, it'll be our secret." Roadie smiled, proud of his work as well." So tell me, what's your name, are you a relative of Derpy's?" Roadie didn't know who this 'Derpy' was, but he was eager to find out. So Roadie whistled his signature introductory melody "My name's Roadie." Twilight was dumbfounded; she didn't understand what just happened. "Come again?" Roadie whistled his melody again. Twilight was uneasy now, she was thinking of what to do. 'Did I hurt him? Did I mess up his head? Oh no what happened?' Roadie looked at Twilight, then realized, 'Oh yeah… she's a unicorn.'

Roadie wanted to face hoof for not being so observant. Twilight dug into her books for about an hour while Roadie strummed his guitar, waiting on her to find what she needed, he didn't want to get in her way. Twilight couldn't find anything helpful, so she said aloud, "Ok, I'll just send a letter to Fluttershy; she'll probably know what to do." Spike take a letter!" The dragon got a scroll and a quill pen, 'Guess they know what to do to help translate my words, probably getting someone like they did last time, some earth pony named 'Cesar Milan' or something like that to come over and try to understand what I was saying.' Roadie sighed at the memory and closed his eyes, setting the body of his guitar against the floor, still holding the neck, and fell back to sleep. He opened his eyes to see a pale yellow Pegasus with a pink mane almost as pale. She stepped back a little, as if startled and mildly hypnotized by him waking up. Then the room started to blur and shake, and the Pegasus did the same, until the room was completely black and the Pegasus turned into a blue mare with a rainbow mane with a worried face, "Roadie, Roadie! Get up man, c'mon dude!"

The blackness that was the inside of the tree snapped back as Fluttershy's bathroom interior and the Rainbow Dash was trying to wake up Roadie. "Oh man, glad you woke up, you were making some weird noises dude, I got a bit worried." Rainbow Dash and Roadie both smiled at each other. Roadie whistled, "Thanks for that, wasn't exactly a good dream, but, the end was nice." He let on a weak smile. Rainbow grinned and helped him to his feet, but while he brushes himself off she notices a large scar on the inside of his right haunch. At first Roadie thought that she was checking him out, and was about to tell her that it was making him uncomfortable, but realized that her expression was more concerned than anything else. She asked in a very worried tone of voice, "Roadie, how did that happen? Does Fluttershy know?" Roadie had a tear well up at the memory of how he obtained the scar, and whistled meekly, "I'll tell you later, but you have to promise me that you won't tell Fluttershy, I don't want her to worry too much, and it hurts me to see her upset." Roadie wiped the tear off before it had the chance to fall. Rainbow saw the sincerity in his face, and pinkie promised him, "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." She placed a hoof on her closed eye. Roadie smiled thankfully, and hugged her the same; he really appreciated her agreeing to help her keep his friend. They both let go and walked out of the bathroom, Roadie reached over to turn off the bathroom light, and as the light switched off and he shut the bathroom door behind him, he left the discovery of his scar in there along with the single teardrop on the floor, it wasn't Roadie's… it was Rainbow's.

AN: Sorry if this chapter seemed a little dark to any of you, it was meant to be a follow-up, cause a lot of you seemed to really want one, so I tried my best. Anonymous is not my OC it actually belongs to someone who is actually Anonymous to me, I didn't know who they were, they told me about their OC and we talked for a bit, I was going to give them contact information so I would know who to credit if I put her into a fanfic chapter, but my internet went out on me while we were talking. If you are the person who I as with on Omegle, please pm me some information of some sort so I know who to credit, because it drives me mad that my internet cut off. Thanks for reading by the way. The next chapter is sure to be a much happier one. I promise.