• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 1,334 Views, 3 Comments

Fluttershy's New Friend - Theblindrat



Fluttershy really does not like to meet strangers... but this seems promising.

  • ...
4
 3
 1,334

A New Colt in Town

AN: I would like you all to know that I this is my first fanfic… ever… I do enjoy writing stories, and drawing, and playing my guitar, but that's not important, what is important however, is that you leave positive feedback or constructive criticism on how I could make myself a better writer. Please don't be a dick in the comments.

Chapter 1: A New Colt In Town

It was quite the morning in Ponyville, everypony and all the animals were quite content with the fine weather all the Pegasi had put together. Most ponies were already out of bed, except for a certain pale yellow Pegasus, who had slept in much later than she usually wakes up in the morning, or at least until a small irritated looking rabbit that started to thump his foot against the top of the Pegasus' head.

All she heard was pounding when she opened her eyes to see a large blur of everything that resembled her room, until she looked over at the bedside clock that she received from Rarity on her birthday a few months ago. Seeing the time she immediately snapped out of bed and flew downstairs to see a multitude of hungry animals, followed by faces of delight as she filled their food bowls. She looked over at the rabbit that had awoken her "Thank you Angel… I'm sorry I slept in so long." She blushed "tomorrow I'll make it up to you by getting you an extra snack at the market, sound fair?" She then realized her apology and offer were both ignored by angel's full mouth. This made the Pegasus let out a small giggle.

When she stepped out onto her porch, she smelled the cool, crisp air of springtime, and the sweet aroma of her flowerbed. She looked around at the sky was as clear and blue as it could ever be. And the trees that sat so perfectly arranged around the cottage. Then she looked down at the scroll which sat on her doorstep. She held it in hoof and opened it with her wing, it read, "Fluttershy, I need you to come to the library as soon as you can. I have a certain…" the pause almost made Fluttershy feel the writer thinking… hard. "…visitor, which requires a bit of help…, understanding. I know you are quite busy most of the day, but if you could stop by sometime in the next few hours that would be marvelous, I'm trying to keep my visitor here until you arrive. ~Twilight."

Fluttershy looked back through the window of the door on her cottage and saw several happy, full, animals lying on their backs on a nice, clean, floor. 'I can take a few hours off my schedule to help Twilight,' she thought. Fluttershy then flew up to where her hooves were just about 2 feet off the ground, and headed for Twilight's house. She saw several other ponies seeming to have an exceptionally good time that day, she didn't know quite what the feeling could be described as other than exceeding happiness, as if it was shed onto her as an aura. Their smiles all seemed as if they would stretch on forever if they could, not in a forced way, in a legitimately happy way.

She arrived at Twilight's house when she almost hesitated to knock, but when she did, it was so soft you probably wouldn't have been able to notice if you hadn't been sitting by the door reading as Twilight was. She opened the door with a warm smile almost as much as Fluttershy's. Twilight wanted to greet her rather than getting straight to business, but this was quite strange, Twilight's dilemma, but she still needed to greet her shy friend. "Hey Fluttershy, glad you could make it over." Twilight couldn't have been more sincere. "Hi Twilight, I'm really glad that you invited me over." She had a look of warmth and thankfulness in her eyes, as if she couldn't thank Twilight enough for being her friend.

Twilight said "Come on in, I think it's time you met him." Fluttershy's eyes widened at the word 'him'. Fluttershy didn't like talking to strangers, let alone strangers who were colts. Animals were fine because they didn't have looks of judgment in their eyes when Fluttershy talked to them. "Who is this 'he'?" asked Fluttershy. Twilight pointed at her couch, which was accompanied by a gray Pegasus, resting with his eyes closed. 'Is this a relative of Derpy, because he sure looks a lot like her?' That he did. He was a pale gray with light blonde hair, it was even brushed the way Derpy had hers, actually it looked more the way Rainbow Dash kept hers, almost untended-to looking, but not in a bad way. He had a cutie mark that was an acoustic guitar, the same guitar that he was holding the neck by in one hand, the bottom of the body next to he hid leg against the floor. He then opened his eyes lightly and slowly, which revealed the palest of blue eyes Fluttershy had ever seen in her life. 'I guess he's not related to her.' She turned her head, almost hypnotized by his eyes. Fluttershy snapped back to reality, "Oh… hi… um… w-what's your name." That was when she got the strangest response to a question she had heard a pony give her… he whistled, not in a rude way, or in an awkward way, but in a sweet tune that she had never heard, it was a short melody, that almost whisked Fluttershy away the way his eyes did.

When he finished his very short melodic whistle, Twilight came over to ask Fluttershy what was up, because she had been researching all morning for a way to translate what it was that he was doing, but she was stopped by what Fluttershy said. "He said his name is Roadie." Twilight's face went from confused to blank. "How did you know that? I've been trying to communicate with him all morning!" Fluttershy turned to look at her friend. "Didn't you ever think to give him some paper and a quill or something? I'm sure he can write." She didn't say this rudely, it was more like constructive criticism, but softer, Twilight almost facehoofed. She looked over at Roadie and asked him, "So… Roadie, where are you from, Pinkie said she's never seen you around and she knows just about everypony here in Ponyville." Roadie looked over at Fluttershy and whistled yet again, but whistled a much longer, different tune, sounded a little jazzier than the last one. And it seemed to change tune and music style as he continued from blues, to ska, and back to jazz. He held different emotions in his face as he continued, most of the emotions he showed were not happy, sometimes they even looked melancholic. But near the end of the tune, he sat up proud with a smile on his face. Twilight realized, he was going to briefly give her his life story, and she was eager to hear it.

Fluttershy felt the perfect-pitched whistling in her ears as it translated into words, he had a soft, deep voice when it was translated, she couldn't really describe the softness and kindness of his inner voice other than just pure pleasantry, it was not too deep, and more like a tenor than a baritone. When he finished Twilight looked at Fluttershy with a 'go ahead' kind of look. Fluttershy said, "He said he isn't really from anywhere, he grew up alone and wandered from location to location with a guitar he bought from a music store when he was a a very small child, he earned the money from doing small time deliveries for people he met from town to town, but they were always Pegasi, because he soon came to realize that he couldn't talk, only whistle, and only Pegasus ponies can translate his whistling into words, like I am now." Fluttershy found herself welling up in tears as she continued telling Roadie's life story. "He learned how to write for the sole purpose of writing guitar music. When he purchased his guitar the owner of the store said 'See ya later little Roadie' on his way out. He left that store with his guitar slung over his shoulder knowing that he would be a great musician, with dreams of becoming as good as or not better than Eric Clapton or Bob Dylan themselves." Fluttershy was literally about to burst into tears if it wasn't for Roadie standing up and giving Fluttershy a comforting rub on the shoulder and a kind smile. Fluttershy turned and hugged Roadie as if to say 'I'm sorry for the life you had to live through'. They stood there hugging, and Roadie realized, for the first time in his life, he actually had a close friend.

Now I would like to tell you fine folks here at FimFiction that I have already completed and published nine chapters on fanfiction.net, but I would like to upload one chapter a day here because I feel as if that would be more fair to you guys. Thank you and I hope you enjoy what is to come.