• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 461 Views, 17 Comments

Heart of Steel: A Colts Tale - Frosty Wisp



The only son of the Royal Canterlot Forge moves to Ponyville along with his mother to help him grow.

  • ...
2
 17
 461

Chapter 1: A long(very long) train ride.

The locomotive sped across the morning country side, crossing over the hills and lush meadows and was making great time on its way to its next destination; Ponyville, A small rural town in the middle of the hidden valleys of Equestria. Inside the carriages, ponies of all sorts, and even some non-ponies, carried on their own business and were safely seated...except for one colt. He was a grey earth pony with big lavender eyes, his mane was short and coloured two-toned with black with silver lining. The colt's flank was bare, void of any type of cutie mark. Steel Rune was his name and his dream is to become a famous knight of Equestria, defending princesses from fire breathing dragons and being a hero to all.

“Take that you evil fiend!” he yelled as he jumped all over the carriage with nearly everypony staring at him as he swung a toy wooden sword by his teeth. “You will not land a hoof on the princess!” he yelled as he ran up and down the carriage as a rather fancy dressed griffon in a top hat took notice and scoffed.

”Why don't you go and fight your fake fiends elsewhere...” he spoke in a rather elitist voice as Rune took notice and pointed his toy at the griffon.

”Where is the princess you evil winged beast?!” he proclaimed.

“Well, aren't you a rude little colt... now go away before I get the conductor to throw you and your plaything off this train.” he spoke in that rather posh and highly elite tone as the dark grey pony just stared at him.

“I'm Sir Rune, and I will NOT back down you turkey!” he announced as the griffon's expression exploded from the insult by the little colt. He would stand up on his hind legs, overshadowing the small offender.

“Why you little... H-How dare you call me a turkey! I'm going to teach you a lesson on how to treat your elders with respect!” he growled at the little foal. The train carriage went quiet as everypony just stared. The tension was running high as they waited to see what would happen next. Before any more words could be said, a light blue aura encased the colt's tail and levitated him up, a blue unicorn with a long silver mane and a cutie mark of a multi-coloured star being the one responsible.

“Please forgive my son. He...ate too much sugar today. Now, say you're sorry to the nice griffon, Rune.” she would speak rather politely as she used her magic to also remove the toy sword from her son's mouth. The little colt would look to the side and puff out his cheeks before finally speaking.

“I'm sorry mister...I didn't mean to call you a turkey... I'm truly sorry.” he would bow his head, his apology sounding half-hearted as the griffon would just resume his seat and regained a snobby aura about him.

“You should really kept that colt on a leash, he's a cannon waiting to explode and I'd rather not be in the line of fire...Good day!” he would huff and hold his head up high. Rune quickly poked out his tongue when the griffon wasn't looking before being levitated to his mother's side.

“Honestly Rune... What I'm I going to do with you?” the motherly unicorn would reach her hoof over to him and Rune would brace himself for a scolding. Instead, he got his ear tips stroked, soothing and calming down the little foal.

“I...just want to be a knight, a hero...It's my dream...to be the greatest hero in Equestria.” he would give a soft yawn, his seemly boundless energy starting to fade as his mother kept stroking his ear.

”I know sweetie, but try to take it easy my little hero, we have a big vacation ahead. Now, rest your eyes and try to sleep.” she would hum softly as her little foal simply nodded off next to her. Rune's mother levitated a blanket out from her saddle bag and tucked him in by her side as she drew in a deep breath and sighed, looking out the window as the scenery passed by. It was so peaceful as she herself gave a slight yawn before drifting off to sleep.

The train continued to glide across the landscape as morning slowly turned to noon, the sun shining brilliantly in the sky with very few clouds to block its light. The rest of the ride was pretty normal; Rune slept peacefully as his mother watched over him, when suddenly a small dinging sound echo throughout the carriage.

“Attention passengers, next stop; Ponyville Station. We will be arriving at our next stop in 10 minutes. I repeat: next stop Ponyville Station where we will be arriving in 10 minutes, so please have your luggage ready and your ticket available for the conductor.” said a voice coming from a speaker located in the corner of the compartment.

Rune actually manage to sleep through the whole announcement as he just nuzzled himself closer to his mother side. She used her magic to pull out their boarding pass as the pony conductor slowly made his way up the train car, punching everyone's ticket who was getting off. Rune's mother used her magic to float them over as the conductor punched their ticket and bowed his head in thanks.

When the train finally came to a halt, steam hissed everywhere as the familiar dinging echoed again. ”We have now arrived at Ponyville station, thank you for travelling with Pony Rails.” said the announcement before clicking off.

Rune's mother would gently nudge her foal, trying to wake him up from his slumber.”Come on Rune, time to get up.” she would smile as the little colt just grumbled before giving a loud yawn.

”I-I'm up!”he would let out a groan as he finally woke up, stretching in his seat before jumping down and collecting his small saddlebag and wooden sword. He secured it on his back and was ready...ready for adventure in this exciting new land as he trotted off towards the exit, his mother close behind him. He jumped off the carriage and onto the platform, into the wondrous new place.

[Authors note: Hello there, Thank you for reading the first chapter of what I hope to be many. I can only hope this fanfiction is up to par and isn't hated on. If you have any advice, criticism and such please feel free to tell me since I really want to improve and make this story atleast enjoyable to read. Once again, Thank you for reading. Also thank you to a very special friend for helping me proof read this story.]