• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 9,089 Views, 128 Comments

The Strongest Kind of Magic - Shadowswipe



You're from a broken home and you have no one to call a friend. That is, until you meet Twilight.

  • ...
28
 128
 9,089

Chapter 5: Picking Up the Pieces

You slowly open your eyes, the events of last night slowly coming back to mind. As your vision slowly becomes more clear you see Flounce laying beside you. Your heart stops and you start to panic. You jump out of the bed. Flounce rolls over and looks at you with narrow eyes.

“Good morning.” She says.

“No. I messed up, I messed up bad.” You say. You quickly trot out of the room.

You pace around the living room of the house, you mind is going a mile a minute, and your breathing is very quick. You peek out the window at the street. You spy something sticking out of the snow outside the house. You cock your head when you see it. You feel something touch your shoulder. You look over and Flounce is standing beside you smiling. You walk past her and head for the front door, you open the door and head out into the cold.

You push through the snow and pick up the thing that was in the snow, it’s heavy and wrapped. Blue wrapping paper with a red ribbon in a cross. You turn it over and see a tag, the tag has your name on it, and underneath it says ‘From Twilight’. Your eyes begin to water and you slowly head back into the house. Flounce is waiting at the front door. You walk past her, not even giving her any thought.

“What’s that?” Flounce asks.

“None of your business.” You say with a snarl.

“Okay sheesh, you don’t have to be so rude.” She says, her words dripping with arrogance.

Your mind goes blank and you drop the gift. It makes a heavy thud when it hits the ground. You turn and look at her. A look of shock adorns her face. You see her lips moving but you hear nothing, a ringing sound fills your ears, you can feel your blood pressure rising. You quickly shake your head, pick the gift up and trot into your room; slamming the door behind you.

You place the gift on the desk in the room and sigh. As your eyes scan the shape of the gift, your mind races at what it could be. You place your hoof on the gift and take part of the ribbon in your mouth; you start to pull the ribbon, causing it to come undone.

All that’s left on the gift is the blue wrapping paper. You start to carefully take off the paper. Your eyes go wide when you see what’s under the paper. A book, a single book.

Tears well up in your eyes as you turn the book over to see it’s title. You gasp at the title and tears start to flow down your cheeks. The title read ‘Starswirl the Bearded’s Guide to the Stars and the Zodiacs’.

A lump forms in your throat as you try to stifle your sobs. Tears are now flowing like waterfalls. You drop the book on the ground and stumble back to the bed.

You plant your haunches on the bed and bury your face in your hooves. Your thoughts hit you like a brick wall, thoughts about how you messed up, how you threw everything you had in the trash. As you sit weeping on the bed, Flounce paces outside your door, waiting for you to exit.

When life hands you lemons, right? Your mind says.

“I can’t stay here.” You say out loud. You take a few deep breaths to calm yourself, you wipe your eyes and pick up the book. You balance the book between your shoulder blades and exit your room, glaring daggers at Flounce.

“There you are babe, you okay?” Flounce asked, trying to kiss you. You shove her away and scowl at her.

“Don’t touch me.” You bark.

“But... But what about last night?” Flounce asks, clearly devastated.

“It was a mistake. You were a mistake. I’m leaving here, I’m going to try and find my marefriend and fix this. Tell Chance it was nice seeing him again. As for you...” You trail off, your rage at a boiling point. You open your mouth to say something, but stop yourself before you say something you’ll really regret. You just close your mouth and leave the house.

There is a light snow falling. Not enough to be a problem, but enough to dust the ground. It was a lot like rain when you’re sad, but colder and more empty feeling. The ponies of Canterlot trotted by at a steady pace, the snow swirling behind them. Your coat is becoming more damp as the small flakes landed and melted on your coat. Your inner thoughts were a fireball of confusion, every little question was blasting like a cannon in your head. You cringe at the thought of Twilight. You are afraid of what she’ll say when you find her.

You scan the faces of all the ponies who walked by, trying to spot that purple mare. The crowds are definitely getting thicker, and it’s definitely getting harder to see all the ponies around. You stick your head up, trying to find out where you are. You notice the train station is just to your left. You lower your head and sigh; trying to think about what Twilight said to you, where she would be.

“What did you say? Where are you?” You say to yourself in a hushed tone. You remember back to the moment at the train station, just before the two of you departed; trying to remember what she said. That’s when it hit you.

“The palace!” You say, your tone higher than it should be. Some ponies look at you then up at the palace towers that could be seen from anywhere in Canterlot.

You begin to trot faster in the direction of the palace, ponies giving you concerned looks as you trot by. Your mind races with the thought of seeing Twilight, you know she’s going to want you dead, but at the same time you want to try and fix your mistake.

You gallop through the snow, trying to stand tall and not slip on the ice. You weave in between ponies, keeping your speed. The coldness of the air helping cool you down as you run.

Finally you reach the palace limits, a tall white wall stands in your way. You look around for an opening, somewhere you can get through. You start to panic when you don’t see an opening, but your fears are extinguished when you see two guards standing by what seems like a gate. you trot over to them, taking some deep breaths to calm yourself. As you approach the guards they shoot you an odd look. You feel a knot build up in your stomach, and throat.

“Um, excuse me.” You say nervously.

“Hm?” One of the guards grunts.

“May I enter the palace?” You ask nervously.

“Why?” A guard says coldly.

“Because I want to see someone, they’re expecting me.” You say, trying to sound as sincere as possible.

“Yeah right, and who’s expecting you.” The other guard scoffs.

“Uh, Twilight. Twilight Sparkle.” You say proudly. You stand up straight and tall.

“She’s gone.” One of the guards says.

“What!?” You exclaim.

“Yeah. She left not too long ago.” The other guard says.

“Well, where did she go?” You ask franticly.

“Well, lets see,” the guard pauses and pats his chin, “last I saw she was heading for the train station.”

Shit! She could be gone already. You say in your head

“Well, thank you.” You say before galloping away.

You gallop back the way you came, searching frantically for that beautiful purple mare. Your mind races as you scan the crowd, looking for any sign of Twilight. You push through a crowd of ponies, only to run full force into a pony. You fall to the ground, you hear a thud from the other pony.

“I’m so sorry.” You say, looking over at the other pony. Your heart stops when you see who it is. The one mare you were looking for. You beat all the odds, you found one pony in a city of thousands, and you found her before she left.

“Are you!?” Twilight barks.

“Twilight, I mean it, I’m truly sorry.” You stand and trot over to Twilight, trying to help her up, but she shoves you away.

“Are you? What about that whore last night?” Twilight asks, her tone becoming more violent.

“That was a mistake, I couldn’t control myself, I had no control.” You try to explain, the ponies in the streets all shuffling away from you and Twilight.

“It was a mistake. It was a mistake for me to have trusted you.” Twilight turns and starts to trot away.

“Twilight,” you call after her, “Twilight, I’m so sorry. How can I make it up to you?” You say, a defeated tone besetting your voice, tears welling up in your eyes.

“You can’t, we’re through,” Twilight says darkly; she continues to trot away from you. You quickly gallop to her side.

“But, I’m sorry, I’ll do anything to make it up to you... anything.” You say, letting out a small whimper.

The snow was still falling, a little heavier now. Twilight stops in her tracks and looks at the ground. The snow around her hooves was melting, the flakes of snow that got close to her melted, and the smell of singed hair began to fill the air.

“How do I know you won’t lie to me, how do I know you weren’t lying to me this whole time?” Twilight asks, an accusatory tone lacing her words.

“What do you mean? I’ve been nothing but honest with you,” you say, looking at Twilight with pleading eyes.

“Your family story. Was that the truth, or was it all made up to get me to feel sympathy for you?” Twilight’s mane starts to curl up, as if it’s being burned, and the air around her gets warmer and warmer.

“That was all true... I can show you.” You offer.

“How.” Twilight snaps back.

“We’ll go to Fillydelphia. I can show you,” you say nervously. The thought of going back to your home after all these years didn’t sit well with you.

“Fine. We’ll go, and if you’re lying to me, I’ll gut you.” Twilight’s mane slowly returns to normal, the air cooling down. She looks over at you, the expression on her face could kill.

“Thank you. I know you don’t trust me, but I have to explain something on the way,” you say, you look down at the ground and begin to trot to the train station. Twilight in tow.

The walk to the train station is a long a silent one, you can sense Twilight’s anger. You stay silent, trying not to make Twilight more angry at you. The snow crunched under your hooves and your breath made clouds, pushing the falling flakes out of the way.

After moments of awkward, silent walking you finally made it to the train station. As you and Twilight enter there is a wall of ponies exiting the train headed to Ponyville. You and Twilight push your way through to the ticket desk. The pony behind the counter looks overwhelmed and stressed.

“Uh, how may I help you?” The stallion behind the counter asks.

“Two tickets for Fillydelphia please,” you say.

“Coming right up,” the stallion says. He ducks his head below the counter and comes back up with two tickets. He drops them on the counter and slides them over to you and Twilight. Twilight picks her ticket up with magic and trots away.

“Thanks,” you say, sliding six bits over to the stallion. The stallion nods then turns to help another pony.

You trot over to Twilight who was looking over the tracks. You can see she’s obviously holding something back, was it rage, was it sadness, was it both? You don’t know, but you can only speculate.

“Twilight... I’m so-” you’re cut off by Twilight giving you a death glare.

“Oh save it, I don’t want to hear it,” she says forcefully.

“But I want to fix this,” you plead.

“I’m not sure you can,” twilight says coldly. Her words echoing into your core; you can feel you heart break.

“How did you see us last night?” You ask, trying to get some answers.

“The huge window in your room that looks out onto the road,” Twilight says.

“Oh... I see. You have to understand, I tried to stop her, but, she was too strong,” you say.

“Mhmm, sure looked that way.” Twilight says sarcastically.

“I mean it, I... never mind,” you hang your head in defeat and trot over to a bench. Sitting down you can’t help but look over at Twilight, thinking about all you had, and all you could of had. Now it’s all gone.

There’s a loud screech and a train slowly approaches the station, you slowly stand and trot towards the train, stopping and waiting for Twilight. She trots by, not even looking at you. You sigh and follow her in. Twilight trots towards the back of the train, going for a booth, just like before. You follow her into the booth and take a seat across from her. She looks at you and mumbles something to herself, then leans away. You look down at the ground and lean your head against the window.

You can feel tears welling up in your eyes. You look you, glancing out the window at all the happy couples that are walking around outside. You sigh and pull down the curtain.

“Twilight, please give me a chance to explain,” you say, your voice cracking slightly.

“Ugh, fine.” Twilight crosses her hooves over her chest and looks at you, you can see pure rage in her eyes.

“That mare... She was one of the children I lived with when I was here. Her name is Flounce. She, she uh, she always had a thing for me. I kinda liked her back, but I thought all that died when I moved to Ponyville. But last night, when we kissed. I tried to fight it, but something happened. It’s almost as if the spark between us was reignited. But you have to believe me, I didn’t want to kiss her, I wanted to be with you. I waited, I really did wait, but it was late, and you didn’t show up.” You explain.

“Was that supposed to make me feel better?” Twilight asks, a furious tone besetting her voice.

“No. This is,” you stop and take a deep breath, “I regret everything I did. If I could go back in time and fix this, I would in a heartbeat, I wouldn’t leave you at the train station, I would have been with you the whole time. You’re the best thing to ever happen to me, I wouldn’t throw away what we had, not for a million bits. If this world were falling apart, I would want to be by your side until the end. I would do anything to have you back, anything. I would fight an entire army of changelings to be with you.” You stop and look at Twilight. She’s giving you a very surprising look. It’s a mixture of shock, disbelief and trust.

“You would?” The words sneak out of her mouth in a whimper.

“Twilight. You’re my everything. I know we’ve only been dating for about a day. But I mean it. I feel something when I’m with you, something I’ve never felt before. It’s a feeling of belonging. You’re something I’ve been searching for all my life. You're my shining star, you’re my special somepony.”

Author's Note:

This is my way of saying I love you.
Happy Hearts and Hooves day everyone.