• Published 30th Oct 2012
  • 962 Views, 29 Comments

My Own Flesh and Blood - NioFox



What will happen when new interests and emotions conflict with years of mental conditioning?

  • ...
32
 29
 962

12: My Little Experiment

My Little Experiment


Twilight could not sleep. She had managed to close her eyes for an hour or two initially, but from then on she had been constantly tossing and turning, her mind racing as it replayed one of the most intense moments in her life, over and over again. Yet the fact that she could have died that very night was the last thing on her mind, as she stared into the pitch darkness of her bedroom, accompanied only by the sound of Spike snoring.

'To conjure that many objects, at once- that's just not possible ... is it? Sure the Princesses could easily do something like that, they raise the sun and the moon for Celestia's sake, such a feat would be foal's play compared to that but ... I know for a fact that my body does not have the magical capacity to do what I think I did out there. Ugh! This is maddening.

'Maybe ... could I have tapped into Alpha's- no, that can't be it either. Unless he was being a completely horrible pony on purpose? No, I'm positive. I couldn't feel anything from his shoes like I did before ...'

She flipped over and lay on her stomach, pulling the pillows over her head to muffle the frustrated noises that erupted from her. After a few minutes she peeked out from under the fluffy stack to see if Spike was still asleep. His green fin-scales rose and fell in a steady rhythm. She sighed silently, twisting onto her side and staring out the window.

Her brow furrowed as a disconnected thought floated through her mind. She inclined her head just enough to see over the windowsill. She was only partially surprised. There, laying with his legs tucked under him, in the exact same spot as the night before, slept Alpha. She remembered the conversation they had had about that at some point or the other. He said he liked sleeping outside, ' it feels familiar, like ... home', were his exact words.

She blinked slowly. 'Just where in the world do you come from ...' Twilight wondered. She snorted quietly, pushing away the thought. 'One mystery at a time,' she told herself, flopping onto her back again and running through the whole chain of events in her mind, for what felt like the hundredth time.

'Falling, screaming, failing spells, failing bubbles, more screaming, more failing, more falling ... kissing,' she blushed and curled up onto her other side, hugging a single pillow to herself. Unlike Alpha, she had been fully cognizant the instant the bubble dissipated. For her, their ... moment, only lasted for just that. A single, short, moment. Unlike him, apparently, she did not get the chance to really feel it. But now as she lay there, embracing the soft pillow between her legs, she allowed that missing feeling to wash over her.

It had been ... interesting. A completely different experience from pecking Spike's forehead when putting him to bed, as seldom as that occurred anymore. It had been softer, warmer ... she frowned slightly. Wetter. She shook her head. It was more than just that connection between their lips though. Their bodies had been so close. The warmth had been incredible, very different from curling up under multiple blankets as she did in the winter, and ... so comforting. There had been so much touching, even their-

Twilight shot straight up, eyes wide as she whisper, "Our horns!" She stumbled out of bed, too much in a hurry to care that the sheets and pillows got strew out over the room as she went.

'Silly filly! How could you have missed it! The very thing that started my whole line of theoretical inquiry, and I completely missed the resemblance!' she thought as she charged down the steps and into the main study area. She wasted no time in undoing all of Spike's hard work, tossing random items over her shoulder with her magic as she hunted for a quill. The carefully made copies of her thesis lay neatly in a pile on her desk, but only for a moment longer. Paper flew in all directions as she dug into the stack, searching for that one page that began her account of the changeling Queen's defeat. There!

The writing on the topic pertained very specifically to the phenomenon that occurred between Princess Cadence and Twilight's brother, the Captain of the Guard, Shining Armor. As far as she could tell, it began the moment their horns touched. Ever since seeing that magnificent display, her mind had been running non-stop, trying to understand what exactly she had witnessed. And that had begun her most ambitious project to that day; her thesis on transverse mystical dynamics.

Unfortunately, Twilight had very little to go on other than eye-witness accounts, and even those were very limited as a result of the blinding light that had followed. She had quickly found out that it was extremely inconsiderate to pester newly-weds for first-hand experiences; even more so after what Princess Cadence had been through. To top it all off, Princess Celestia had given the couple an extended honeymoon, further prolonging the wait to get the information she really needed; a first hoof account.

But she had not minded, that much. Two ponies that she cared deeply for were entering a new and exciting chapter in their lives, she could not be happier for them. She made do with the strangely miniscule information she could find in her own books, and those at the Canterlot archives. It may not have been enough to convince the judges, but none of that mattered anymore. Not if she was right about what had happened to her earlier.

Her eyes flitted over the words. There.

Shining Armor had admitted to being drained and unable to use his magic, and after what Cadence had been through, she could not have been much better off. Yet when the connection was made, the magic output between them was far greater than the sum total brought into the equation to begin with. This leads me to believe that a magnifying effect occurred when the two different streams interacted, the nature of which needs to be studied in-depth before ...

The rest went on about safety. She had mostly written that in to give the appearance of responsibility, but anyone that new her well enough also knew she was a risk-taker when it came to magic. At least, when it came to new and exciting magical phenomenon that could change the face of Equestria.

Still, there was much that needed to be done to prepare for the first test. Observations had to be made, readings taken, measurements recorded- yes, much to do indeed. But there was plenty of time for that. She would never be able to get back to sleep now. And, after all, Alpha was not going anywhere.


Alpha's mind was in almost complete disarray. It was as if an entire section of memories had been ripped out, shuffled like a deck of cards and tossed back in. He tried to reorganize the mental aftermath, starting from the last thing he remembered - impending doom.

'His magic is stronger than I ever guessed,' he thought to himself, 'The bubble must have absorbed most of the impact or ... I would not be here.' He frowned at the grass beneath him, his eyes unfocused as he attempted to recall anything from the gap between that and him waking up in the hospital. His nose wrinkled, 'It seems there are some things I may never remember,' he grumbled inwardly, after what ended up being five frustrating minutes.

There he was on a planet alien to him. His body and mind gone through the grinder, wings battered and unusable, and of course there was that lovely headache; it was enough to drive an ordinary pony mad, or to depression at least.

The doctor had made it sound like he was knocking on death's door when they found him, and yet ... . Whatever had happened, it came as a surprise even to him. Just why was it that he was not still laid up in a bed, being spoon-fed by. 'How demeaning,' he thought.

He found the place completely overwhelming. The vibrant colors, sounds, smells, tastes ... the sensory overload might have been too much, had it not been for his untimely 'accident'. It had given him time to get used to it all before ... things got complicated again.

And then there was them. Or more specifically, her. He had been told there would be others. That had not prepared him in the least for what he had experienced since arriving. He had been fully expecting hostility, an all-out pony-hunt the moment he arrived, instead he was stuck muddling through many new, and very confusing, feelings.

But perhaps the past few days were not a waste after all. A wealth of information had been gathered, and if his target was among these weaklings, his task might just be completed far more easily than he had expected.

They took everything they had for granted; clean water, pure air, rich food - it truly was paradise. But as far as he could tell, there was nothing to prevent its destruction. He had seen no pony trained in any sort of defensive or offensive capability- 'Well, nothing that could be considered a problem,' he thought, remembering the 'security pony' at the hospital. 'How is it that things have remained so perfect? Anyone with magic and half a brain could wipe these simple ponies from existence. I must be missing something ...

'So far the biggest threat I've encountered is Twilight Sparkle, and she's ...' his thoughts trailed off unexpectedly. He caught himself daydreaming, or was it night-dreaming? The sun would rise in another hour or so, if he remembered the cycles accurately. Morning-dreaming? 'Cursed distractions,' he scolded himself internally, 'I've already lost precious time because of this nonsense.' He made a dismissive noise and shook his head.

Well at least the suggestion he had placed in his subconscious during those fleeting moments of clarity had worked. Recovering his foci had helped his mind recuperate from that annoying memory loss business. Just as he had hoped. A shame about that other doctor. That strange way of talking was something he had hoped to find out more about. That would be impossible now though. He did have to use that, after all. It was anything but subtle ... or gentle.

'The accented pony is probably dead by now.'


Spike woke up with a start, his eyes snapping open instantly and his head darting back and forth. His body may have been alert, but his mind was still 'defogging'. He had no idea what had caused him to get up so suddenly as the silence was all he could hear or remember, right up until a muffled noise of frustration came from somewhere below him.

Glancing at the window as he climbed out of his basket and rubbing his face, as if the sleepiness was something tangible that he could just wipe away, he noticed that it was still dark outside. The sky was a very dark purple, hinting at the oncoming sunrise. He stretched and waddled down the stairs, still massaging the sleep that clung to his face. His entrance into the main library area was greeted with a string of expletives, varying from the usual 'pony feathers' and 'hay' to some new words he was not quite familiar with.

"Twilight?" he called in the midst of a yawn. He looked around at what now bore more resemblance to the workshop of a mad scientist, than a public haven for students of the literary arts. In the middle of the mess of wires, tubes, pipes, plates and random unidentified contraptions, Twilight Sparkle was standing upright on her back legs, propping what looked like a giant transparent tub of jell-o above the metal frame of what could pass for a shower stall.

"Spike! I woke you up didn't I?" Twilight asked, ears folding back as an apologetic expression appeared on her face, "Hehe, sorry. But, now that you're up, could you lend me a hoof- err, claw?" she asked, sporting one of the most strained grins ever concocted, beads of sweat creeping down her forehead. Spike rushed over with the ladder he usually used to reach the higher bookshelves, quickly assisting Twilight in getting the 'tub' in place just before she collapsed from overexertion of underused muscles. A few more minutes later, they both lay on the floor panting, everything finally set up just the way she wanted.

"So ... why didn't you just use magic to make this all so much easier?" Spike asked.

"Can't use magic yet," she took a few more breaths before continuing, "It would contaminate the results."

"The results of what? What is all of this for anyway?"

"Oh Spike!" Twilight giggled giddily, kicking her legs in the air a few times before her abused muscles gave her a reality check, "If this works ... I'll have direct evidence to prove my theories! Do you have any idea what this means?!"

He deadpanned, "I wouldn't be asking if I did."

"My thesis Spike! You did help me write most of it, don't you remember anything about it at all?"

"Twilight, you had to spell half the words for me. It's not like I had time to look them up!"

She groaned. "When separate sources of magic intersect at a close enough distance, the aether streams are magnified as a result of the-"

"Stop," he placed a claw on her mouth, effectively cutting off what would have been a very long and tiresome regurgitation of her entire theory. "I'm not even going to ask what aether is, but I think I get the gist of it. Magic becomes more powerful when you mix it with another unicorn's. Is that about right?"

Twilight looked a bit disappointed at not being able to get right into the heart of her explanation, but she took solace in the fact that at least he got the basic idea. "A very watered-down version, but ... yes," she replied.

"So ... getting back to original question. What is all this for?"

She bolted up right, eyes wide, "Oh that's right! I haven't told anypony. Or any dragon," she added with a smile in Spike's direction. "And you were asleep when it happened, weren't you?"

"When what happened?"

Twilight spent the next few minutes recounting the night's occurrences, starting with the moment that she touched horns with Alpha. As a result of her excitement, she had to backtrack a few times to explain earlier events in order to alleviate confusion. And of course she left out, what she consider to be, the embarrassing details.

"Do you see now? It's not just additive, it's not even linear- it's ... it's exponential!" the epiphany hit her like a freight train. She scrambled over to the writing desk, a glowing quill and scroll popping into existence as her horn glowed, and she began writing furiously.

"There you go again with the big words," grumbled Spike, finally picking himself up off the floor and slowly making his way over to the kitchen. "You still haven't explained why you couldn't just levitate all that stuff into place," he called from the other room.

"The more magic I bring into the equation, the more we get out," Twilight mumbled absently, as she continued her relentless scribbling.


'Bah- enough lollygagging.' He shook his head and stood up, then began pacing. 'Focus! Step one; gather as much information as possible. I've learned quite a bit. Let's put a tentative check next to that one. Step two; gain her trust. Sunspots. I don't even know where she is,' he facehoofed. 'Back to step one.

'Let's see, they don't know I've regained my memories, that could prove quite useful. No point in drawing unwanted questions. On the other hoof, if I go around asking about stuff I'm not supposed to remember- sunspots.' He stood still, blinking slowly at the deep orange crescent emerging from the horizon. 'Well no matter. After all, what difference will it make if I take a few more days? Two thousand years. What could she possibly do differently in a few days?' he thought to himself, wandering off as he started to formulate a plan.


"Nothing yet Princess, but we have already covered most of the area. I have no doubt we will find it within the next few hours," said Spitfire, bowing before Princess Celestia in the main throne room.

It was exactly as she had suspected. A few griffons of various shapes and sizes were arrayed off to the left of the Princess, two of them sporting protective eye-wear, similar to her own goggles, but a bit more ... 'egg-headed' somehow. They were there for the prize that her team was about to go back out in search of, and now her morning was ruined too. It was everything she could do to hold back a dirty look at the 'guests'. But she managed to get it out while facing the floor at least.

There was perhaps one thing that could turn her day around, and she was looking forward to it. Thus, when the Princess nodded and dismissed her, she flew like a bullet back toward her team over Ponyville with a burning desire to get the whole thing over with as quickly as possible.

"Carriages have been prepared, and the train will transport your equipment to nearest town. If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to ask," Celestia said with her usual smile, once Spitfire left. The griffons nodded curtly and shuffled out, all except for Annis, who looked at Celestia with worry written all over her face.

"There is nothing you can say about it, is there ..." the Princess asked, finally breaking her smile and casting a slightly concerned sidelong glance at Annis. The diplomat just shook her head slowly after a moment, then bowed low walked out after the other griffons, her manicured claws clicking on the polished marble with each step.

Celestia stared through the nearest window, lost in thought. Could there really be anything to worry about? She had seen many hardships throughout her years. Each time, they had crept up on her, taking advantage of the false sense of security brought on by long periods of peace. Periods just like the one Equestria was currently experiencing.

She was on the verge of giving up hope that there could ever be a truly lasting peace; the wisdom needed to maintain harmony, never acquired quickly enough within the relatively short life spans of the sentient life forms that shared this world.

'Who am I to judge,' she chuckled grimly to herself, 'Even with all I have experienced, I still could not find an adequate solution when Luna-' she shivered imperceptibly as her thoughts were interrupted by a hoof on her shoulder. She did not have to look.

"Thou broodest deeply," came Princess Luna's gentle voice, "Dost thou care to share thine thoughts with thine own sister?" Luna tended to revert back to the old tongue when she was worried. 'Having to practice the new tongue muddles my thoughts,' she had explained to her sister. But she would adapt eventually. She just needed to get out more, spend more time with others. 'The castle staff don't count,' Celestia had scolded her playfully. Still, the worry she showed warmed her sister's heart.

Celestia continued to stare out the window. She had always found the morning sun pleasant to look upon, relaxing even. "It's ... probably nothing," she said absently, but turned to face Luna once she managed to replace her smile. "Have I mentioned how much I've missed you?" she asked, nuzzling Princess Luna's neck in a rare show of affection. Anything to take her mind off her troubles.

Luna raised an eyebrow, a smile making its way across her face at the sudden change of direction things took. "Not oft enough. Though this feeling ... mmm, this I hath missed even more," she replied, returning the gesture perhaps a little too eagerly. Celestia turned away, knowing all too well where things were going. She sought the comfort of the sunlight once again, staring through the window and hiding her sorrow.

Luna sighed heavily. "Thou hast still not given up hope?" she asked, immediately cringing at how insensitive her words sounded, wishing she could pluck them back out of the air. "I-"

"I know you didn't mean it that way," Celestia cut her off before she could make things any worse, her voice uncharacteristically heavy with emotion, "but no, I have not- I cannot, until I know their fate for certain ..."

"More than two thousand years hath past," Luna started in a much gentler tone, "Doth thou not think this ... unhealthy?" The goddess of the sun remained silent. "I only ask out of concern, you know I have experienced such loss many times-"

"Have you?" Celestia said in a very low voice, "Do you know what it is like to be the very cause of such loss?"

"Thou knowest I did not mean-"

"But that is the truth. I don't know what it's like to lose as many as you have, but I can't imagine it could be any easier than living with this guilt-" Celestia took in a shaky breath, "Enough. I have duties to attend to." She stood up, eyes closed as she brought her breathing, and emotions, back under control. She could not afford to show weakness. There was no other that could understand her pain beside Luna, or vice versa. If she had to be the stronger one, then so be it, emotions be damned.

"I am sorry to have brought such sadness to mind," Luna said softly, staring at her hooves as she remained standing behind Celestia.

"We have spent enough time on apologies, sister," she spoke with regal force behind her voice, "Let us leave the past in the past. Come, there is breakfast to be had before the day takes us!" Celestia's smile was back. That same, forced smile that fooled all but a few. A smile that, just recently, only became genuine in the presence of a certain lavender mare.


"It's time! Buhuhahahahahaha-"

"What are you doing?" Spike deadpanned, putting the question to the rather disturbing visage of Twilight Sparkle. He had just walked out of the kitchen with a modestly packed breakfast tray in his claws, only to stop and stare at her for a few distressing moments.

"Aheh, nothing- never mind that," Twilight coughed and cleared her throat, "All preparations have been completed!" she exclaimed proudly, ticking off the final item off her checklist. "Now I just have to get the star of the show," she added with a grin. "Ooo, this is so exciting! I just can't wait any longer," she made her way to the door, being extra careful not to knock over any of the equipment that now filled most of the library's main room.

"Not even for pancakes, with that special syrup we bought the other day?" asked Spike in a silky smooth voice, his eyes half lidded with eyebrows bobbing up and down. Twilight froze mid-step, eyes wide as she contemplated the choice that lay before her. A moment later she started to shiver, but then did an about face before making her way back toward him.

"You drive a hard bargain mister," she said with a chuckle, "But I think I'll take you up on that offer. Another ten minutes couldn't hurt anypony, right?"


Alpha had been sneaking through the town as best he could. A difficult feat, considering it was the middle of the morning. The brightly colored streets, buildings and decorations did nothing to help either. He had even thought about using the rooftops, but there were so many Pegasi around that it would actually have made things worse. So instead, he had settled for using an empty barrel as camouflage, making his way slowly toward the Carousel Boutique.

He fully understood that he did not have to sneak around, since the residents of this community were already familiar with him, thanks to the previous night's party. However, with what he had in mind, it was better that he was not seen at all.

The plan was simple. Sneak into the white mare's shop. Grab the jumpsuit. Sneak out. He had realized just how much of an asset it could be for completing his objectives. Sneaking around on a moonlit night, when your coat was all white, tended not to work out so well. On the other hand, a pitch black change of clothes would work perfectly. Sure some modifications would be needed; mostly ripping off all that unnecessary garbage that the fashion pony had put all over it, but that was a small matter.

And so the plan had been set in motion. None of the busy ponies noticed the barrel moving ever so often along, remaining as inconspicuous as it could while completely unaware of its identical companion, following quietly along.

When there was only one more building between him and the boutique, he crept into a dead-end alley-way and stopped to listen. The usual sounds of a busy Ponyville morning were all that could be heard, dampened as they were at the back of the alley-way. He lifted the cover of the barrel just a smidge and peeked out, only to realize he was staring right into a pair of large blue eyes, framed in pink.

The barrel fell over as he leapt backward in surprise, tumbling into a roll and coming up against the opposite wall, hooves up, ready for a fight. But when he was able to return his focus to the barrel he was just in, all he saw was its twin, laying on its side in just the same manner, now beginning to roll off on its own.

"What the-" he began under his breath, but stopped short as he heard stifled giggles beside him. His gaze snapped to the side and he realized the pink party mare was leaning against the wall right beside him, having perfectly mimicked his stance.

He rotated quickly to face her, muscles tense, expecting a blow to land at any moment. She simply mirrored his movements, all except for the silly grin on her face and what was now incessant giggling.

'She mocks me!' he thought, eyes wide and annoyed at the apparent derision. 'Let's see what how funny she thinks I am when she's eating that mane of hers.' His left hoof shot out, aiming for her nose, but to his surprise it was met half-way by her right hoof, producing an echoing 'clop' sound.

Alpha hastily withdrew his hoof, getting back into stance. His eyes could get no narrower without obscuring his vision. Was this what he had been missing? Did all of the ponies here have combat training, but simply kept it to themselves? 'Time to test that theory,' he thought darkly, unleashing a flurry of blows. None were particularly well-aimed, as he concentrated on speed over accuracy. However, in the two seconds it took to throw all ten of them the pink mare not only managed to block them, but did so by meeting each one with its exact mirror, resulting in some strange perversion of tap dancing.

He shook his hooves as if they were on fire, no longer able to hide the pain that striking another hard object that hard tended to inflict. Much to his displeasure, the pink one was still grinning, even as she mocked him further by copying his attempts to shake away the dulling ache.

"Grrr," he growled, lowering his stance for his next attempt.

"Grarrr!" she copied, adding her own flare to it.

The next flurry of blows involved using his back legs in an attempt to sweep her own from beneath her. But right after throwing out two feint attacks intended to distract her, met again by her own of course, he quickly found himself on his back with the wind knocked out of him, vision jarred by the sudden impact.

"Oopsie!" Pinkie Pie giggled, "Sorry Alpha, I kinda got ahead of yourself there," She extended a hoof to help him up. He stared at it in contempt for a moment before getting his bruised ego back in check and took it. "That was fun! So whatcha wanna play now?" she asked, bouncing up and down as Alpha brushed himself off, still perplexed as to what had just happened.

Pinkie's tail began to twitch intensely, but Alpha was too busy being confused to notice. "How did you-"

"Look out!" she cried, pulling him over to her side of the alley as a plant pot came crashing down, right into the spot he had just been standing. They looked up and saw a wrinkled old, faded-orange face, peering out from the second story window of the house.

"Oh dear, are you fillies alright?" came the old mare's voice.

"We're fine Mrs. Crab Tree!" Pinkie yelled happily.

"Well stop making all them strange noises down there, getting an old mare like me all worried. Now I have to go find another plant pot to put back out here," she grumbled, retreating back inside.

Alpha was starting to become increasingly agitated. It was supposed to have been a stealth operation, but now he had been seen. Twice. Judging by the old pony's question, she probably could not see well enough to identify him, but the pink one was a problem. He hastily shoved his growing curiosity to the back of his mind, the questions about her uncanny ability would have to wait.

"So Punky Pit," he began.

"It's Pinkie Pie silly!" she giggled.

"Right. Why don't we play a new game?" he asked, faking a grin of his own. He would not enjoy what he was about to do, but there seemed to be no other way.

"That sounds great! What did you have in mind?"

" Turn around and count to ten really slowly."

"Hey, this kinda sounds like tag. Are we playing tag?"

"Uh, n-no. This is very different from ... that game. The object of this game is to ... uh, get all the way to ten without stopping," he nodded smugly. "But-" he quickly added, remember an important detail, "But you can only win if you count out loud!" He stopped and thought a bit more. "Oh! And I'm going to try to make you stop, yes, that's the game," he finished, the new grin at least twice as insincere.

"Ooo, that sounds like fun! Here goes!" she exclaimed, turning around and covering her eyes as she began to count.

'The pink one has proven quite formidable. But in the end, this bubbly naiveté of hers has become her undoing,' Alpha thought grimly as he reached for her neck.