• Published 4th Jan 2012
  • 2,100 Views, 47 Comments

Cycle: With Wings as Eagles - SSky



Equestria operates on a clock, and it's ticking down to the next cycle. But not more than a few years of the last one were known of, until a scroll discovered how an immortal princess could be born, and revealed the workings of the clock.

  • ...
1
 47
 2,100

Flowers of Malice

They all sat in silence. “I wish I could have told him I loved him. I wish I could have let him die knowing that.” Hestia gave a low sigh. “a7.”

Shahar moved the monarch’s piece. By now, the game was almost over. She still had a bishop and two pawns, and Hestia only had one pawn. Her next move was to capture it. “Unicorn takes a7. But... why? My father isn’t that bad. He only talks about his hatred and what he wants to do, not goes and kill people. With all respect, why do you still love him?”

“Because deep-down... he was good. He was very likeable and very just. Only, he was... scared. Scared of being lost to time like his predecessors were. Wouldn’t you be? King, a4”

“a1 promotes to queen, checkmate. I guess.”

Hestia turned around, and smiled. “Good job, Shahar.”

Philomena was thoroughly impressed, and seemed to be thinking something over. Hestia quickly took this opportunity to divert the conversation off her father. “Tell me, Shahar, why does the game end in checkmate, and not the capture of the king?”

Almost from memory, Shahar replied, “Because the rules of chess say that you cannot move your king into check or leave him in check. Thus, there is no legal move at checkmate.”

“And so the king will never die, it will just be held there until the next game begins.” Abruptly, Hestia rose. “Well, I am a bit hungry. Would you two like something to eat?”

“Didn’t we just have breakfast?” Shahar asked.

Philomena gave a screeching laugh, “Girl, time flies. It’s already noon!”

Shahar looked outside to discover that the sun was high up in the air. At that point, she fervently hoped that the week wouldn’t be over this quickly.


After her walk, Livana decided to take a break. There was the entire day to use, so training could wait until she recovered from the brisk trot. Wandering camp, she began to piece together the hierarchy. Those in purple armor, like Julius, stood aside as commanders. Those in white armor were trackers and scouts. In red armor were the tacticians, and in silver were the grunt soldiers. Those in golden armor were like her sister, daykeepers, and in midnight purple were nightkeepers like herself. A scarce few strutted about in robes and black armor, but these were few and far between.

She looked about to find the mess hall, and realized that she hadn’t had breakfast. She wasn’t too worried, as going without it wasn’t much to her, but with the new regime--if such laxness could be called that--it would be wise to pick up a bit to eat.

She trotted in to see that the mess was somewhat empty. Only a few tables were full, but there were still some that had nopony and some with only one or two. At one such table was Marcus, the colt from D tent that she was a bit brushed off by. He was in his decorative white armor, and busy staring evilly at his food. His dull yellow coat and his light blue mane seemed to cast a hateful air toward the, at least to Livana, delightfully made sandwich.

The alicorn took a plate and a sandwich from the mess counter and decided to take a floor space across from Marcus, just to see if she could figure out more about him. When she approached, Marcus gave her a half-second glare that was quickly directed back at his food. The nightkeeper sat down and placed the plate on the table in front of her, taking the sandwich and giving it a few bites. It was a bit strange-tasting, she would grant him that, but he hadn’t even nibbled.

She swore Marcus gave a sadistic smile then, but it passed unnoticed for the time being. In-between mouthfuls, Livana asked, “What did the sandwich do to you?”

“It exists.” Markus dryly replied, nudging it away. “Hope you enjoy it, these things are poisoned.”

Livana choked, almost spewing out what she had eaten, but a quick look around revealed that nopony had collapsed. Some seemed to have been there for quite a while. “Oh, you’re joking. Well, ha-ha.”

“Ha-ha, you’re quite observant to have noticed that.” the unicorn said flatly. As he spoke, Livana saw a griffon exit the kitchen and slowly meander about the mess. When he arrived at the table, Livana gave him a wide grin that was responded in kind. Marcus, on the other hoof, had a few choice words. “Griffon, what do you expect in serving me this filth?”

The chef frowned, smacking the sandwich. “I don’t plan the meals around here. If you have a problem with petunias, take it up with the head chef.”

“Take a bite,” Marcus coldly demanded, staring the griffon straight in the eye. “Go ahead, Galon. Taste your own medicine.”

“I don’t eat flowers,” the tiercel stated.

“Well you will, eat it. Taste the rubbish you are serving us.”

Livana turned her attention to the soldier. “Marcus, you’re being overly rude.”

“It’s okay, new recruit,” Galon grunted, “He’s often like this.” The griffon swiped the sandwich with a talon and took a good-sized bite, obviously having problems swallowing. After he had finally finished, he gave a stern look to Marcus. “Tastes like something pulled out of the ground and slapped in bread, like every flower does. Eat the sandwich.”

“I’m not eating any sandwich,” Marcus insisted.

The chef shrieked. “Look, I don’t care if you give it to somepony else, but now you have forced me to take a bite; and by Aquila, you will EAT the rest.”

Out of nowhere, a magical bow and arrow manifested next to the unicorn, drawn completely back and aimed at Galon. “Say that again, griffon.”

Before Livana could intercede, a spear was lobbed in her direction. She yelped and ducked, letting it continue toward Marcus. The unicorn turned his head at it smashed into the telescope emblem on the front of his armor, making a small dent and knocking the unicorn back with a yelp of pain. Livana looked behind her to see a unicorn soldier in silver armor standing next to a large, grey stallion earth pony in purple. “Marcus!” the captain shouted.

The unicorn groaned and attempted to rise to his hooves, but was apparently recovering from the spear to the chest. The earth pony captain trotted over and kicked him. “Caius, Delion, take him to the prison.”

Two ponies who had been eating peacefully rose to their officer’s orders. “Yes sir, Cinna!” they shouted in unison before hauling off a cursing Marcus. Cinna looked at Livana and Galon.

“Nightkeeper, associate yourself more carefully.” Livana nodded. “Get your commanding officer and tell him to meet me at the prison. As for you, griffon, that was an excellent meal.” The tiercel gave a satisfied nod before swiftly heading to the kitchen.

Livana decided that seconds could be forgotten, and quickly rushed out of the mess. She hastily charged toward the barracks, swerving in ways she thought were shortcuts, yet she arrived no sooner than normal. She flung open the tent door and searched for Julius, but the only one she found was Luz, reading a book. The stallion didn’t even look up to greet the entering alicorn. “May I help you?”

“Luz, where’s Julius? Marcus is in the prison and a commander named Cinna wants him.”

At this, Luz hesitantly closed his book, giving a deep sigh. The pony rose to his feet and approached the exit. “Don’t worry so much. Marcus is smart yet foolish. He’ll be alright. I’ll get Julius. For now, occupy yourself. I may need you later.” He stuck his head out and gave a sharp yell. “Celos!”

In no less than five seconds, the bluish earth pony was barreling toward the tent in response to his officer. He finally made it into D tent, gasping for breath, “Ah, ah, yes, Luz?”

“Sorry to interrupt whatever you were doing, but could you please take Livana to some training course? I need her to be in-sight for when she’s required.”

Celos enthusiastically nodded his head, stepping aside to let Luz exit. The tactician swiftly left and took to the sky. Once he was gone, the yellow-maned colt that was left gave Livana a wide smile. Livana hadn’t seem much expression from him, as he seemed a bit shy, but he seemed to be quickly warming to the pony he was assigned to. “Well, madam, what are you interested in doing?” he asked in a deep, vivid voice.

Of all the ponies in Livana’s corp, Celos was probably the nicest in appearance. He appeared quite kind, and Livana couldn’t help imagining him kicking someone down who attacked him, then asking if they were okay. “Well, what is there to train with?”

Celos used a hoof to open up the tent flap, letting Livana step outside first. “Well,” he began, “as a nightkeeper you could train in moonlight focusing. Or, if you want something fun, you could train in combat.”

“But isn’t this about learning to defend, not what’s fun?”

“Nah, we have all the time in the world to learn everything we need. It’s about finding what you’re good at and then training everything else.” The earth pony enthusiastically started off toward the gardens.

“So what are you good at?” Livana asked.

Celos glanced back to his flank where a portable telescope showed, “Everyone in D tent is a scout, and I am good at getting information. Jane is the best tracker of us, and Marcus is decent at spying details.”

“Well, I’m not sure I’m any of those.” the alicorn admitted, a bit unsure of what part she could play in this scouting team.

Celos lifted one leg in a shrug. “I dunno. You look like you would be a very good planner, or perhaps a leader.” He gave a friendly smile. “We can find out what you aren’t good at together. So take a look around.”

He led Livana through the camp, letting her take in all around for herself. Many stallions and a few mares briskly sped through the camp from one place to another. This placed seemed so relaxed, but the ponies seemed in no way to want to spend it idly. Many were playing different sports—hoofball being a favorite—and more were training various martial crafts.

The nightkeeper had the idea that she should first learn how to properly fight. Her reflexes seemed to be sufficient, shown by her dodging the spear earlier that day, but she didn’t know how to return any blows. When she saw a open dueling ring in the corner of her eye, she gestured to Celos.

The earth pony gladly strode over to the dueling area, he expertly plucked a white helmet off the weapons rack, knocking his off and flinging the new one on. It was full facial protection, and had a blade at the top. Livana carefully checked the weapon. To her dismay, all seemed to be real and well sharpened. “Isn’t this dangerous?”

“Not if you know what you’re doing,” Celos casually explained, taking a set of armor with blades protruding out each side. “Most of us here know how to use a weapon non-lethally.”

“But I don’t,” Livana said, worriedly.

The earth pony gave her a slightly mocking look from between the eye slits, “You will have to even be able to hit me before I consider myself in danger. Get some armor on and choose a weapon.” Livana obeyed, picking armor without blades, as per Celos’ instruction, and took out a long, fine sword. “To be fair,” Celos conceded, “Unicorns have a distinct advantage in being able to use weapons not attached to themselves.”

“But from what I hear earth ponies outmatch unicorns in strength.”

“By far. If I were to buck you, you would probably sail out of the ring,” Celos stated as he readied himself, “But if you bucked me, I’d barely flinch.”

“I doubt that.” Livana challenged, a bit indignant, “I could buck you away.” Celos grunted and turned to the side, he raise his front hoof as if saying, “Just try.” Livana looked at him like he was joking, but he seemed serious. After a bit of hesitation, the alicorn readied herself. She took a few steps back and set off in a gallop. She clamped her hoof down, swiveled into position, and bucked.

Livana felt her hooves hit metal, and a fierce grunt emanate from Celos. The earth pony was tossed to the side a few inches. Livana whirled back around, hooves a bit sore to survey what she did. The scout was a bit surprised. “Not bad, for a unicorn,” he happily admitted, “Perhaps even very good.” At that moment Celos seemed to have an idea. “Unicorns don’t normally train hoof-to-hoof, but we can see if you’re any good.”

“Uh...” Livana stuttered, “I don’t know. My hooves hurt after that buck.” Celos seemed to not mind and removed his bladed armor, groaning. When it was off, Livana saw two huge red imprints where she had kicked. The nightkeeper gasped. “Doesn’t that hurt? I’m so sorry.”

The earth pony gave a hearty laugh, “Not at all! I say you did quite a good job! I wouldn’t see why you wouldn’t train, even if your hooves are a bit sore. The pain’s a little part of it.” He placed his hoof lightheartedly on Livana. “So, whatcha say?”


Hestia and Philomena led the princess through the corridors of Everfree after lunch, till they reached a bustling ground level. Guards, doctors, lawyers, and nobleponies all bowed at the queen’s passing, and a friendly smile from most was given to Shahar herself. They were heading to the open session, where the queen would answer the ponies’ concerns, questions, legal matters, and disputes.

Shahar was able to pick out a few faces she had seen the day before, but only very few. She saw the doctor pony, Redcross, running to and fro, and she thought she caught a glimpse of a servant that looked like Selene. The princess still wanted to thank her for delivering the early breakfast.

Eventually they reached the throne room. Shahar noticed that the throne was in a different place, and instead faced a large door that led into the open. Beyond the door was a large line of ponies eager to see the queen. Philomena took her position on the left side of the throne, and Hestia carefully placed herself onto the throne itself. She motioned with her head for Shahar to sit at the base of the throne. When Shahar did, a trumpet sounded, followed by an all-too-familiar voice.

“Ponies of Equestria, you may now see your ruler!” the voice called, it’s speaker being the drago... dranco... whatsit. The mish-mash beast opened the gates, letting the citizens move into the court and palace itself in an orderly fashion. The thing took place at Hestia’s right, and began whispering to her. “Guess who’s first in line?”

Hestia groaned. “By Harmonia, will she ever let me be Metis?”

Metis, a much easier name to remember, joked, “Six days, your majesty.”

Hestia chuckled, even though Shahar thought the quip was in bad taste, handling the imminent doom of somepony so lightly. Soon the pony being discussed clopped up to the throne with a fiery look in her eye. She was a golden yellow with a smooth creamy mane that was cut relatively short. Her cutie mark contained a single apple, closely matching her own body color. “Aunt Hestia.” She icily spat.

“Niece Spire.” Hestia jokingly mimicked. Shahar remembered Hestia saying something about her and her niece not getting along.

“You still run an empire.”

“I am still aware. I am also still unable to do anything about this issue.”

“And you still lie!” Spire barked. “You are an idiot, queen or not. You have searched and poured through the laws, finding more ways to fix the problem than you can fill an entire book with, and you refuse to use any of them. Why? For no apparent reason other than you ARE just another backwards queen.”

Philomena leaned in close to Shahar. “This is Golden Spire. At least once every week she comes to Hestia and demands that Equestria return it’s territories to freedom.”

“Quite persistent,” Shahar noted.

“Well, she’s the element of honesty and seems to embrace it excessively, even being brutally honest.”

“So, why doesn’t Hestia bar her from the palace?”

“Because Spire is right. Hestia has myriads of ways to free the territories, but she has legitimate reasons not to. If another war-hungry monarch followed her, she couldn’t prevent them from recapturing a weak nation.”

Shahar felt mildly hurt. “So she thinks I could be war-hungry?”

“No, no. But because she is at death’s door, anything she wants to proclaim has to have both her and Metis’ seal since he is her adviser, this is to prevent insanity decrees. Hestia trusts you, Metis isn’t sure.”

Hestia sat in silence. Spire shouted again: “Well?”

“So why doesn’t she explain that to Spire?” Shahar asked.

“Hestia... feel it is an excuse. She knows she should have freed the captured provinces but was afraid of what would happen. The one I just told to you is her most justifiable reason, but that doesn’t mean she likes it.” Shahar watched Hestia avert her eyes away from Spire, a bit shamed. “In truth, she is a little bit of a coward, even though she tries not to be.”

“Answer me, Hestia!” Spire ordered.

“I cannot. I most simply cannot, and through all my life I have avoided it.” Hestia mournfully answered, “And here on the last day you have to present your case, I have to leave you with nothing done. I hope my successor can, because I have failed being your queen, niece.” She rose and stepped down the throne steps, giving enough time for Shahar to move. Philomena and Metis looked rather shocked as the queen gave a bow toward her niece.

Spire wasn’t having any of it. “Oh look, Miss high and mighty is trying to soften me up. Well, aunt, don’t count on it. You still have failed all these years. Don’t expect me to forgive you. May the Black Death dance on your grave.”

Shahar looked at Spire with a indignant stare. Philomena gritted her teeth and muttered. “Likewise, missy.”

“Wait, she’s an Element of Harmony? Harmony must be pretty different from my definition,” Shahar angrily grumbled to Philomena.

“She’s an element spirit. That doesn’t mean she is exactly that nice a girl.” Philomena responded. Shahar couldn’t agree more. Though Spire was brutally honest, Shahar thought the little part of her that she had seen was revolting: not caring for her aunt or the people waiting to see her.

Spire curtly turned around and started out the palace door. She shouted to Hestia: “‘Alae aquilae,’ Queen Hestia. You still have time, I know you do.” She said so pointedly, but Shahar couldn’t help but hear sincerity.

Hestia rose and quietly returned to her throne. Shahar took her place up again as Metis leaned toward the queen. “Shall we stop?”

“No.” Hestia firmly said. She obviously loved Spire, and the mare’s words hurt. She was crying a litte, though attempting to hold it back.

Thus, Metis called the next in. The next one was a light blue, yellow-maned stallion and his wife. They began talking about a few property disputes, but Hestia and Shahar were both still thinking about Spire.


“Are you alright?” Celos asked Livana. The nightkeeper gave a nod, but she was really hurting rather badly. It had been a strenuous day-long with Celos insisting they train, constantly appearing to be legitimately impressed at the nightkeeper’s strength and pressing her to go on. It had only been interrupted by Julius a few minutes ago to be brought to testify against Marcus.

Luz popped his muzzle out. “New recruit, you’re up.” The nightkeeper placed a hoof toward the door, but Luz interrupted her. “First, tell only what you saw and not what you thought.” Livana nodded and proceeded through the door. Inside, alongside Luz, was an unidentified earth pony guard; Julius; Cinna, the capitan from earlier; and, behind bars, Marcus. The prisoner looked fairly calm for being locked up, and Cinna seemed furious.

“Julius!” he shouted, “You have to take responsibility for your soldiers’ actions. You have been far too easy on Marcus time and again after pulling so many stunts! Your persistence is insane!”

Julius grunted. “I would punish him more if it weren’t for my blasted corporal. He brings up the valid point that Marcus, though highly volatile, is one of the most skilled in his craft we have!”

“It is YOUR troop and it is YOUR responsibility. We aren’t even in any danger for Hestia’s sake!”

“I know.” Luz interjected. “But could you risk taking your finest scout out of commission even in a time of marginal peace?”

“You just don’t want any of your friends in jail, and I know how that is.” Cinna stomped his hoof. “But this has gone too far. He deserves a punishment!”

“Quiet! Livana is here,” Julius ordered. He directed a stern face toward the nightkeeper. “Come on, get closer.”

Livana quickly stepped into line next to CInna, facing Julius and Luz. Marcus only scowled at the new recruit. “Nightkeeper!” Cinna directed, “We just need you for a few quick answers, and a small task.” Livana nodded in understanding. “Tell us, maiden, what happened before the marksman assaulted Galon?”

You do have to give Livana credit; It had been almost two days in Everfree, and she had kept a straight face. She was only fifteen after all, and the pressure had to crack her at some point. Trying to speak, she ended up choking on tears. Between the strenuous drill, the general confusion, the fear that had invaded her since she was before Hestia, and the nerve-wracking situation she was in, her brain collapsed. Julius rushed to her side in a heartbeat. “Kid, it’s okay. Just relax...”

As Julius tried to soothe the weeping filly, Cinna and Luz carried a barely audible conversation. “Hestia needs to pick her recruits better.” Cinna murmured.

“Leave her alone.” Luz retorted. “She can’t help the situation.”

“Corporal Luz, my remark was at Hestia, not the girl.”

“You implied.”

“You inferred.”

“You’re both nuts.” Marcus spat. The guard kicked the bars, knocking Marcus away from them.

Livana tried to hold back the tears. “I- I don’t know what you want... I was j-just there.”

Julius stroked the nightkeeper’s mane. “Yes, but did he say anything before or after anyone was around?” He brushed a little bit more. “Take your time.

“N-nothing.” Livana choked. “I don’t remember anything...”

“Fruitless, then.” Cinna sighed. “Thank you, Livana. I now ha-”

Julius shook his head at Cinna. “I have a different idea for her.” He moved his head around in a locker in the room, removing a few pieces of paper with his mouth. Livana took them after being nudged to. Between tears, she could hear Julius ask: “Take these to the twentieth palace floor, room seventeen. The small slips are for the guards at the room and the large one is for the room’s occupant. You alright with this, kid?”

Livana nodded her head amidst her sobs and slowly cantered out the door. “Come back here when you are done. I have one more thing for you to do afterward. It will be easy, I assure you,” Cinna called.


“Room seventeen?” Livana muttered after finally reaching the desire palace floor. It had been a long walk and she still couldn't believe how she had performed in front of the others So juvenile, crying out of nowhere.

At last, she saw two guards in front of a door, and it was door seventeen. The nightkeeper straightened up and tried to rub her dry face from the crying. “M-messages from commander Julius.”

The two guards took the notes and scanned them. “Permission granted,” they uttered in unison., leaving the door and going down toward the stairs.

Livana took a deep, cleansing breath before giving three sharp knocks on the door with a hoof. After a moment of delay, the door opened and revealed a yellow mare with a fiery mane. “Oh!” she exclaimed. “Come in, Livana.”

“Livana?” a familiar voice called.

“Shahar?” the nightkeeper squeaked, rushing in and nearly bowling over Philomena. Inside was none other than her sister on her bed, jumping up in delight and racing toward her.

“Li!” Shahar exclaimed, overjoyed to see a familiar face, as she quickly placed her legs around her sister. “How did you find I was here?”

“I didn’t!” Livana happily squealed, “Julius–the guard you were talking to yesterday–found out where you were and sent me! I didn’t even know–and oh how happy I am to see you!”

The two fillies laughed, happy to be in each others' company. Philomena took her phoenix form and flew over to her bedside perch. “Ah, quite nice to have a happy ending to a day, isn’t it?””

“Livana, it’s been an... interesting day.”

“Tell me about it,” the nightkeeper muttered. “It’s definitely nice to be here, but it’s hard!”

“Did you have to listen to pony after pony come in with a problem that needed fixing?”

“No, but did you have to fight bare-hooved for hours?”

“No, but did you have to sit through a long-winded speech about some boring history?”

“I resent that.” Philomena muttered.

“No, but did you watch one of your troop almost attack a chef?”

“No, but... ah you win!” Shahar admitted, sending them both into giggling fits.

“Dear Queen Hestia,” Philomena sarcastically whispered. “Today I learned why you should pick rulers over the age of eighteen.”

“Oh, lighten up Philomena. You were young once.” The princess chuckled.

“No she wasn’t.” Livana corrected, giving a nod toward the phoenix. “She’s a roc and they were made adults.”

“Thank you!” Philomena cawed, “You at least know when you are in the presence of an immortal.”

“Immortally dry and humorless.” Shahar lightheartedly quipped. “And do they teach you silly stuff like that down there too?”

“No... they taught us in school. Remember?” the nightkeeper laughed, “Of course, you wouldn’t know.” They both gave a good laugh, remembering Shahar’s tendency to doze off. “But tell me, what’s it like?” Livana asked.

Shahar gave a long and thoughtful hum. “Well, I should start from the beginning, little Li. You see, last night I was brought into the dining hall...”