• Published 24th Aug 2011
  • 2,712 Views, 41 Comments

Imperfect - Wheller



After hitting her head in a training accident, Rainbow Dash catches a glimpse of a dark future, and a warning. "Do not talk to the Doctor."

  • ...
9
 41
 2,712

Interlude: Pinkie Pie

Interlude: Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie watched through the open window as Twilight Sparkle leaned in and kissed Rainbow Dash. Her eyes widened Twilight... and Rainbow Dash? This wasn’t something that the pink party pony could handle right now; she turned, galloping off towards the western edge of town, tears streaming from her eyes.

Twilight... and Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie had never felt so hurt. She kept running, and running, and running, until she finally stopped and opened her eyes, only to find that she was about a hundred metres deep into the Everfree Forest. Pinkie didn’t care, she wanted to be alone right now, and this place was sure to keep anypony from stumbling across her.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash...

Pinkie wandered a bit until she found an open space, not really open, however as it was a lake. A lake in Everfree? Pinkie Pie had never heard of one... but then it wasn’t as if ponies regularly went into the wood.

She noticed a small sign near the lake’s embankment. It designated this body of water as the ‘Lake of Origin,’ clever.

Pinkie Pie trotted up to the lake and looked in at her reflection in the water. She gasped to find that there was a straight maned, muted pink, earth pony looking back at her.

Why should she be surprised? She was hurt by what she’d seen. Twilight and Rainbow Dash...

Tears began to flow from Pinkie Pie’s eyes; she buried her face in her hooves and let them run.

“What’s this? Hiding are we?” said a voice that seemed to come from nowhere.

Pinkie Pie looked down at her reflection; it was starring annoyed back at her.

“Well?” her reflection asked her.

“I’m... I’m not hiding,” Pinkie Pie said weakly.

“Liar,” the reflection barked back at her, the word stung as if a bee had nipped her back. “What’s the matter Pinkie Pie? Seen something you didn’t like?” the reflection asked, its voice filled with sarcasm.

Pinkie Pie covered her ears, she didn’t want to listen.

“You will NOT ignore me!” The reflection shouted at her.

Pinkie Pie looked up at the pony in the water, offering a small whimper.

“You’re pathetic Pinkamina Diane Pie, you always have been,” the reflection said. “You run around all day acting zany and happy go lucky, but inside you’re nothing but a washed up, miserable, pathetic excuse for yourself. Why? Why bother at all?”

“My friends like me the way I am…” Pinkie Pie said weakly.

“You’re friends don’t know you! You live a lie! Every word that’s ever come out of your mouth is a lie!” the reflection spat at her.

“I’m not listening to you!” Pinkie said, she put her hooves over her ears, and shut her eyes tight. She buried her head underneath her forelegs, hoping that it would leave her alone. It didn’t.

“You remember your last birthday?” the reflection asked, “You remember Rocky? Sir Lints-a-lot?”

“Madame La Fleur?” The reflection mimicked the voice of the bag of flour that had been an attendee of Gummy’s after birthday party, and gave a small snicker. “So pathetic.”

“Leave me alone!” Pinkie Pie called out, she was crying now, tears flowed freely. The reflection merely looked at her with a sadistic glee; it loved every second of it.

No.” It said plainly. “Want to know what the best part about all this is? The pure, delicious irony of it all! The one pony in Ponyville that is better at making other smile can’t manage on herself, not a real one, because she’s buried under a tonne of misery.”

“I’m... I’m perfectly happy,” Pinkie Pie reported causing the reflection to snicker at her.

“Don’t lie to me. You can’t lie to me! I know you Pinkamina Diane Pie, I know you so very well. I know why you’ve come, you love Twilight Sparkle, and the thought of her with somepony else is ripping you up on the inside.”

Pinkie Pie did not reply, but her crying intensified, it was true, it hurt particularly badly because it was Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie was close with Rainbow Dash, closer than she was to any of her other friends. Rainbow Dash had seen her at her worst. She’d seen her break down during Gummy’s after birthday party, and had sworn what she’d seen to secrecy. What was the worst bit of it was that the reflection was right.

“Poor little Pinkie Pie, caught in the trap of unrequited love! Twilight Sparkle, is caught kissing Rainbow Dash, supposedly not into mares... Want to know what I think? I think that she’s just doing it to spite you.”

“That’s... that’s not true! Rainbow Dash is my friend! She cares about me,” Pinkie Pie said weakly, as if she wasn’t sure about it herself.

“Maybe... clearly not as much as Twilight Sparkle.”

Pinkie Pie had completely lost it, she curled herself up into a little ball. “Giggle at the ghostie...” she began mumbling to herself “Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha ha.”

The reflection snickered. “Sorry, but you just can’t laugh and make me disappear.”

Pinkie Pie was gone; she had taken the hurtful things the reflection had said to heart. She was broken, and she knew it.