• Published 31st Dec 2011
  • 2,530 Views, 85 Comments

A New Magician in Town - BlackMetalPony



A terrifying tremendous tale of Pony who practices forbidden magic

  • ...
1
 85
 2,530

Introductions at the Pastry House

Shadow Storm and Fluttershy walked side by side in silence for the entire trip to Sugarcube Corner, aside from a quick explanation from the mare that they were going to a sweet shop where her pink friend rented a room. It wasn’t as if there was no interaction of course, without saying anything both ponies managed to make it clear that they were used to silence. Every now and again one would begin to stare at the other, only to quickly act as if they were casually glancing at a butterfly or shop window, out of fear of coming across creepy.

As their destination began to come into sight, Shadow started to have second doubts about what he was doing. Naturally the pony felt a little nervousness from being thrust so quickly into a social gathering, but what really got him was the nature of Sugarcube Corner. He stared with a little confusion at the building that was seemingly constructed out of pastries and candy. A sudden wave of wariness washed over him. When my time comes to leave this world, and enter the halls of Foalhalla, I don’t want to be remembered as the pony who died after a house made of candy collapsed on him, Shadow thought with a slight touch of uneasiness.

The two ponies walked onto the doorstep of the odd building, and stood there in silence. After a couple awkward seconds Fluttershy timidly spoke up.

“We’re here” said the mare.

“Oh... Good to know” responded Shadow. Another few seconds of silence ensued, both ponies now looking each other straight in the eye. What the hay was that?! Shadow thought to himself. ‘Good to know’!? Might as well just go out and say ‘oh yeah, I don’t get out much. I’m actually pretty dumb sometimes. Just don’t pay attention to me’. For a brief second he actually considered saying that. Another second passed and he remembered that he was quite good at teleportation spells, and he considered making a quick excuse and then excusing himself back to Canterlot.

We’re here’? You silly filly. Might as well tell him that the sky is blue or that his eyes are a nice shade of red. Wait?! What are you thinking? You just met him! Oh why can’t you just say something a normal pony would say? The mare was the first to break away from the stare when she cast her gaze downward in an attempt to hide her quickly reddening face. Unfortunately, this did not bring the two any closer to their goal of entering the large pastry that stood before them, and they continued to stand on the doorstep in silence.

“Um. Fluttershy? What are ya doin?” A non-chalant voice questioned. Rainbow Dash popped her head down from the awning of Sugarcube corner where she had landed stealthily enough that the two silent ponies hadn’t noticed.

Fluttershy! That’s her name... Buck. No wonder she didn’t talk to me at all when we were walking here, Shadow thought with a slight frown.

“And who is this shady pony you brought along?” The rainbow maned mare said with a wink.

“Hello Rainbow Dash” Fluttershy said with a smile. “This is Shadow Storm, he’s new to Ponyville so I thought I could introduce him to our friends”.

“Aw Yea! That sounds awesome! The names Rainbow Dash, and in case you didn’t notice, I’m awesome too. Pleased to meetchya!” The energetic pegasus exclaimed, half to Shadow, half to anyone who was listening.

“So uhhh, I wasn’t interrupting something between you guys... was I?” She said with a playful wink and flair of the wings.

“Oh uh”

“ummmm...” both ponies stuttered in unison.

If shadow perhaps a lighter coat, they would have blushed in unison as well. However, Fluttershy was left alone in that boat.

“Not really” Shadow said slowly.

“Not at all Rainbow, we were just waiting to go to Pinkie Pie’s party” said the yellow mare.

“Ah.. What’s stopping ya? It is here isn’t it?”

“Oh yes. We were just waiting for... just... waiting...” Fluttershy’s voice trailed off into nothingness as she tried to finish her sentence.

“Aaaaaalrighty then. How about you stand on the doorstep then, while I take our new friend inside?” The perky pegasus questioned with yet another wink. Shadow debated whether or not to ask the new pegasus if she had some nerve damage, but decided that he wasn’t quite comfortable enough with his new friends to start poking fun. Especially at a filly’s body he thought. Experience had taught him that, no matter how innocent the joke, if you make a jest about the way a mare looks, there is always potential to start Equestria’s third great war.

Fluttershy stood speechless. She secretly admired how forward Rainbow was able to be with strangers, but on this occasion her admiration turned to jealously, Shadow Storm was her new friend.

“I think we’ll be able to manage Rainbow dear” She said with an uncharacteristic air of sarcasm and forwardness.

“Oh. Right.” Rainbow said with a nervous smile, not sure how to respond to this out of character Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash wonders if she might have struck a chord with her fellow pegasus, making a mental note that she might have something to taunt her with at a future date.

The three ponies open the door where they are greeted by a cheery Mr. And Mrs. Cake.

“Oh hello dearies, me and the mister were just heading out for the day. You’re here to see Pinkie I’m guessing? Well you have all of Sugarcube Corner all to yourself.” The older mare said with a maternal smile as the couple walked towards the door.

“Stay out of trouble y’hear?” Said Mister Cake as the owners of the shop exited their establishment.

“Oh don’t worry about us Mister and Misses Cake. Have a good evening” Said Fluttershy with her signature smile that crinkled her face, and caused her eyes to close. The Cakes just smiled at the quiet mare and headed closed the pink door.

“Woah, good cover Shy! They didn’t suspect a thing!” The floating pegasus commended.

“Suspect? What do they have to be suspicious of Rainbow?” Said the stationary mare.

“Oh well... Nothing really... Yet”. Rainbow grew a devious grin. “Let’s just say that I heard from a little bird that AJ is bringing over some of her special cider”.

Shadows ears perked up at the mention of the words ‘special’ and ‘cider’. The fact that they had been spoken in succession greatly pleased him. He was by no means an alcoholic, but he did enjoy the feelings of euphoria and easy socialization that came with drinking too much... special cider.

Fluttershy remained silent and wondered if one of her birds was the culprit.

The three walked up the stairs to the top floor where this teatime turned party was supposed to happen. Shadow still remained in awe that the place was structurally sound.

As they reached the top floor they saw a pink pony sitting silently in the corner. Shadow recognized her as the pony who he had seen ‘vibrating’ when he trotted through Ponyville a few days previous. However, the pink mare was in a much different state than when he had seen her last.

Pinkie Pie sat in the corner with her head hanging low. Her normally fluffed and curly hair was straight and rigid. She stared down, oblivious of her guests, at a doll that she held in her hoof.

Pinkamena, have you moved the rocks from the east field yet? The pony thought to herself.

Not yet mother! She shouted back in her mind.

Well Pinkamena, no dinner for you until you move the rocks.

I’m a grown filly mother! I don’t even live on the farm anymore! I have friends now and I work in a pastry shop!!

Pinkamina? What did your mother say? Pinkie picked up another doll with her free hoof.

She said to move the rocks BUT THATS NOT MY LIFE ANYMORE DADDY!

Pinkamina Diane Pie, do as your mother says. You don’t want for to have to scold you now do you?

But daddy I have friends coming over...

No buts Pinkamina.

Pinkie Pie started to push a rock with her nose.

The three newcomers just stared in silence at the mare who hadn’t said a word since they came in, and decided to interrupt when she started to try and roll some invisible object across the room.

“Hey Pinkie!” exclaimed Rainbow as she dashed to the center of the room. “Ready for a party?!”

Pinkie Pie’s hair immediately inflated and regained its normal composure. The sudden rush of air to her mane caused her to float for a couple second before she began to hop around the room squeaking, her pupils slightly dilated and her eyes both staring off into different directions.

“The guests are here. The guests are her. No more rocks, the guests are here!” The pink mare said in a sing-songy voice.

“Umm... Is she alright?” Shadow whispered to Fluttershy

“Oh yes. She’s just being Pinkie Pie.” She responded with a light smile.

“Ah... Alright then”

“Oh, Shadow, by the way, this is Pinkie Pie”

“Hm.. I gathered.”

“Haha... right” Both ponies awkwardly grinned and looked in opposite directions as they trotted into the party room.

Pinkie Pie bounced over to Shadow looking him straight in the eye and standing in silence before saying. “Twilight Sparkle!? Wow, you sure went all out! I knew you said you were thinking about trying a different look, but wowie zowie po-powie! I hardly recognized you!”

“Pinkie” Fluttershy said as loudly as she could manage. Pinkie didn’t hear her and kept giggling at Twilight’s makeover.

“Pinkie?” Fluttershy repeated as she tapped the giggling earth pony on the shoulder. The tap surprised Pinkie more than expected.

“AAAHHH!! WE’RE UNDER ATTACK!! PONY THE BATTLESTATIONS! LOAD THE ROCK CANNONS!! THE FARM WILL LIVE ON!!” Screeched the pony. Fluttershy immediately dropped down onto the floor and put her forehooves over her head, preparing for the worst.

“Oh wait. IIIIT WAS JUUUST FLUUUTERSHY!” Pinkie sing-songily sang. Rainbow Dash had been laying on the ground clenching her midsection in laughter up till this point.

“Haha, Pinks, you sure are one crazy pony!” The cyan pegasus exclaimed after she caught her breath.

“I knOOOoow!” Pink said, her eyes staring off into different spaces again. A smile much too wide swept across her face. After making sure that they weren’t under attack and that everyone was safe, Fluttershy attempted to introduce the dark pony once more.

“Pinkie Pie? This is my...”

“OUR!” Rainbow Dash interjected with a sly grin.

“Sorry... This is OUR new friend, Shadow Storm.” Fluttershy shot her pegasus friend a glare.

Up to this point Shadow had been staring at whatever happened to be moving the fastest, trying to keep up with what the hay was going on.

While the whole fiasco of Pinkie preparing for war was going down, he recalled a name that had been dropped.

Twilight Sparkle... Twilight Sparkle... Twilight... TWILIGHT SPARKLE!!! His mind’s eye shot open and stared right into his past when he finally remember the name. Twilight Sparkle?! The prized student of Celestia?! The great and powerful Twilight?! NO! No no no no no NO!! If there is anypony who would find out what kind of magic I use it would be the personal student of Princess Luna’s sister!

“Well hi there Shads! Shads? Nah, Shady? Stormy? Hm.... Shadormy? Nah... Well HI!” Pinkie said with a grin and a hug. Shadow’s eyes slightly bugged out at the sudden social interaction and the force of the hug.

“Nice to meet you Pinkie Pie” The unicorn said.

“Just call me Pinks! Pinks? Nah, how abooout, Panky?” Pinkie said with a giggle. “Heehee nope! Hooow aboouut, Pinkamina?” With the mention of the last name, her eyes did that thing again where they roll in opposite directions and stare off into nothingness. Shadow debated again whether or not to crack a joke about nerve damage, but quickly vetoed the idea.

“Naaaaaaaaah!” said the bubbly earth pony, breaking her blank stare. “Just stick with whatever ya feels like!”

“Right, Gotcha. Umm, you mentioned a name before... Twilight Sparkle?”

“OOOHHH, Twisparks! Yup yup yup! Greastest magician in all of Ponyville and personal student of the princess herself? THAT’S HER!”

“Oh, do you know her personally?”

“DO I!? TWILIGHT IS MY BESTEST BESTY NERDY FRIEND!! SHE’LL BE HERE ANY MINUTE!”

Shadow began to feel a sick to his stomach. He just knew that if he got found out his new friends would ostracize him, and then spread the news to the rest of Ponyville. He knew that Princess Luna had been growing on the residents of Equestria, but something in the back of the mind kept repeating: they’re going to hate you. You really thought that a change of scene is what you needed? Pff, you damn well know that it’s not where you are, it’s who you are.

Trying to hide the despair in his eyes he trotted over to Fluttershy. He felt more comfortable around her than the other two. The mare had sat down on a large fluffy pillow in the corner, and had not said a word after introducing Shadow. She still felt a trace amount of annoyance towards Rainbow, although she didn’t know why. When it became clear that Shadow planned on sitting next to her, she immediately stopped feeling annoyed. The feeling was replaced with a tiny sense of victory. As he drew closer she looked once again at his richly coloured red eyes. She felt her cheeks turn a similar colour.

Before shadow was able to plop down beside the pegasus, Pinkie Pie began to shout in excitement again.

“THE UNICORNS ARE HERE EVERYPONY!”

Shadow looked towards the entrance with terror. Two unicorns stood directly in his line of sight.

“Hello girls!” Pinkie exclaimed as she embraced them both. “Twilight! We were just talking about you!”

“Were you now?” The purple unicorn said with a smile. “Good things I hope” she said chuckling.

“Yes indeedy!” the excitable earth pony said as she laughed.

Shadow looked on with a nervous stare, he knew he was in trouble now. However, the voice in his mind that always played devil’s advocate began to override his survival instincts.

Wow, Ponyville filly’s sure are lookers. Never thought that I’d end up here, with five cute mares when I woke up this morni- shut up shut up shut up! Gotta keep my composure and act natural around Twilight Sparkle, and NO MAGIC!

He ignored the conversations that had been going on around him until he noticed that everypony had stopped talking. Much to his despair he also noticed that the two newcomers were staring right at him. They had a look in their eyes that told him they expected him to introduce himseld. He tried to think of something non-chalant to say, but all he could think about was how he would stutter when trying to introduce himself. Luckily for him, the rainbow maned pony spoke up.

“Rarity, Twi, this is my new friend Shadow!” She wore a grin directed at Fluttershy, who sat in the corner, now plotting the closest thing to a revenge she could come up with, a comeback.

“Yes!” The yellow pegasus exclaimed rather loudly, for her at least. All eyes turned to her.

“Oh, um.. Yes.. Shadow Storm...” She cast a gaze downwards.

“I am Rarity, pleased to make your acquaintance. Charmed I’m sure.” She held out her hoof in a distinguished manner. Shadow wasn’t sure whether to kiss it or shake it. He ended up taking it in his hoof and holding it. He started to move his head down for the kiss, but quickly decided against it and pricked it back up. Shadow realized that now he was just holding her hoof in silence. He gave it a quick shake and let go.

“Hi” he managed to get out.

“And I’m Twilight Sparkle. Nice to meet you” She smiled and tilted her head sideways sweetly. She recognized the slight social awkwardness of the new pony, and decided to forego the hoof holding. Twilight knew from personal experience how hard it can be to meet new ponies.

“Hehehii..” Shadow stuttered, trying to act like the most common pony in the world. Me? Luna’s Dark Magic? Haha, nope, I’m just your average everyday unicorn. That’s me.

Fluttershy chimed in “He’s a student just like you Twilight.” Half introducing him, half showing that she was closer to him that Rainbow. Oh Celestia.. Shut up shut up shut up, he thought as a slight feeling of nausea returned.

“Oh! Well that’s nice” the purple unicorn said cheerfully. “What is it that you study, umm... Shadow.” She smiled extra wide hoping that he wouldn’t notice that she spaced on his name. Shadow froze. He opened his mouth and began to stutter slightly

“Ah, I-I, uhh, study-” before he could finish, Fluttershy opened her pale yellow muzzle again.

“He studies magic, just like Twilight.” At this point Fluttershy was basically talking to Rainbow Dash, who had sat down next to her, leaving no room on the pillow for someone to sit beside Fluttershy, but plenty of room for a pony to sit right beside the awesome Rainbow Dash.

“Oh wow! We should get together sometime and compare notes.” Twilight said without looking away from the mysterious grey pony.

If it wasn’t for his resolve to not use magic, he would have teleported back to Canterlot right then and there.

“How long are you staying in Ponyville?” The mare continued.

Gathering up all the courage he muster, Shadow managed to make a coherent response.

“I actually uh, plan on staying here. Temporarily for a while.”

“Well then, I guess we’ll be seeing a lot of each other then!”

Twilight was happier than she let on at the arrival of the new pony. Up to this point she was the only pony in Ponyville who was a full-time student, it was refreshing to have someone else join her in that boat.

Feeling slightly relieved at the friendliness of Twilight, Shadow smiled back. Perhaps this isn’t gonna be too bad, he thought.

Just as the two ‘conversing’ unicorns began to stroll away from the entrance, the final pony arrived.

“WEEEHOOO EVERYPONY! GUESS WHO’S HERE AND WITH WHAT!!” Applejack ran into the room with two saddlebags that appeared to be stuffed full of glass jugs.

“OO, OO, OO,” Pinkie shouted. “Is iiiiit.. APPLEJACK!? WITH HER VERY SPECIAL SWEET SWEET CIDER?!”

“YOU BET YOUR LIFE IT BE! APPLEJACK THE ONE AND ONLY!!” The earth pony spoke with a slight slur cantered into the room with a stumble. Rarity turned to Rainbow Dash who, much to the pegasus’s annoyance, she had sat down next to.

“Looks like someone started the party a little early” She whispered into the ear of her fidgety friend.