• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,078 Views, 16 Comments

A Fluttery Day: RotE Episode 5 - Dream Volt



Fluttershy has a nice day. Oh, and antlers.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,078

Apples

They were very big trees. The line of overgrown trees, tops crowding together, stretched across the farm. I was looking down, even though I think Applejack was focusing more on Dash. Then she sighed.

"Oh, consarn it. I can't stay mad at you for this Rainbow. This ain't really your fault, though if it happens again I might be a bit more ticked off."

"Uh, yea, sure."

"Sorry again." I said

"Why is this a big deal again?"

"Cause this is a farm, not a forest. There is a reason we got all them trees spaced out like we do, and now suddenly we got some that ain't. Also they'll probably block the light to some of the other trees."

"Okay, so just move em so they don't. I mean know it's a bunch of work, but apples the size of your head have to be valuable, right?"

"Uh, huh, that does make a touch o sense, don't it? Still you don't really know how hard it is hauling a tree, much less one of these."

"You're worried about hauling it?" said Dash

"Uh, Applejack, didn't you push that one really big rock off Carrot Top's property so she could use that area as a new field?" I said

"She sure did, it was awesome. It didn’t' even take that long either."

"Oh shoot. You two are right. I'm not sure how much use my strength will be for moving about something I don't want to leave big cracks in, but I guess pulling the cart ain't going to be a problem."

"Twilight probably has some book about it." Said Dash "I think this is the sort of thing you use a bunch of pulleys and junk for."

"Yea, though maybe some magic would do just as well. I mean magic caused this mess, would be a might silly to refuse any to fix it."

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea just being dragged along would make the rainboom do something like that."

"And neither did I. Really."

"S'okay ya two. I belive ya. Gotta wonder what would happen if you had Pinkie back there instead."

"Talking trees." Said Dash

"Wha?"

"Seriously, they'd be talking, or something like that. It would be weird whatever it was. I don't think it will work with anyone but Fluttershy because she's a pegasus, but maybe all I really need to do is tie a rope to any of my friends and it would work."

"A rope? Seems like that would snap mighty fast."

"Oh, it wouldn't. Pegasai don't really put much stress on anything they're pulling, as long as it's small enough."

"Yea, airship flight crews are awesome since they all have to be in synch when they're pulling something or the flight gets all bumpy and stuff. Supposedly it's good training for the Wonderbolts, but I hate pulling stuff."

"Just pulling something slows you down." I said. "That doesn't even count wind resistance. I don't mind it at all."

"Yea, though it didn't feel like I was pulling you at all. It was strange."

"Well that's mighty interestin' fer sure, but why did you say friends?"

"Oh, cause obviously the full rainboom has something to do with friendship, or maybe even specifically the elements of harmony. I don't know exactly."

"Ah, ya mean like when ya had to catch Rarity?"

"Not just that, but all you guys needed me. I didn't know it, but you did. You wanted a sign, Twi needed a magical jump start, Pinkie needed, uh, something…"

"Yea, figuring that girl's head out ain't for the faint o heart. It made her smile when she needed a smile, like she said, that's enough."

Dash nodded. "Anyway, Rarity needed that rock to bust open, which I still think is awesome that the rainboom did that, and Fluttershy needed a good reason to come back to the ground, her cutie mark being perfect for that."

I blinked. "Huh?"

"What, I mean you're the one that said you never wanted to leave right? So some way to discover your talent is just what you needed."

"Oh, I guess."

"But how you figure this all worked? I mean other than you and Fluttershy, the rest of us hadn't even met."

"Hay, you knew Pinkie, even if it wasn't exactly the same Pinkie. Fluttershy met Rarity right after the Rainboom when she came into town since she couldn't make it back to Cloudsdale on her own and…"

"Uh, but that was after the rainboom."

"Yea, I, uh, knew that. I just didn't stop to think ya know. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter. I mean if we are the incarnations of the elements than we've always been connected since we were born so it doesn't matter at all."

"Now that actually makes some sense."

I nodded. Then I looked down again. Dash and I together caused this. All six of us defeated Nightmare moon before things started changing. What would all six of us be capable of now? I shivered a little.

"What's wrong sugarcube?"

"Nothing really. It's, not important."

"Did you hear that last word?" said Dash

"Not really."

"Anyway, she's just freaking out about all this. I mean come on, who does that?"

"Dash, ah find this whole mess a might unsettling maself. Ah mean you gotta understand, when I said rocks I meant really big ones, and well to really get the job done ah had to go a bit bigger." AJ looked slightly away. "Ah knocked down a mountain."

"Hah, ha." said Dash. "Very funny AJ."

"Ah'm serious as can be Dash. You really think ah'm lying."

Dash stared at her for a second, wide eyed. "Oh."

"Ah mean mostly it sorta collapsed, well, on mah, but ah still knocked it down when ah knocked out a bit a troublesome cliff, but ah just don't dwell on any of that."

"Oh." Dash repeated

I cringed. Then I gave Applejack a hug. She kinda squirmed a little but then calmed down. I decided she probably didn't want it to be too long anyway, so I let go pretty quickly. She gave a little smile.

"Well, I don't think I really needed a hug, but thank ya kindly regardless sugarcube."

"It's no trouble at all."

"Talk louder." Said Dash "I mean just a little louder, I know you can do it. I mean that one time at the Gala you…"

Dash then covered her mouth with both hooves. I think she forgot she wasn't flying, because she then tipped forward and smacked into the ground. Applejack laughed for a second, then covered her own mouth, and glared at Dash. I smiled.

"Really girls, it's okay. Celestia said I can come back any time, and the animals were just spooked something awful by all the activity that had to go though the garden to get everything set up."

"Oh, so that was why? I thought you were just acting weird or something."

"Dash."

"Sorry AJ, Fluttershy."

I laughed. "It's okay. I know you don't mean anything by it."

"That sorta thing right there is why you ain't no element of honesty."

"I guess. Whatever."

I blinked. "Uh, if it's not to much trouble, could you explain? I'm confused."

"Oh, yea, I never told you this." Said Dash "Twi got me an AJ together and tried to figure out why we really fit our elements since she thought I actually lied less, and AJ was really more loyal. Of course at first we didn't have an answer for her."

"But then I got a notion. See it's like this. Dash may be honest, but her blurting out whatever she thinks of feels without a thought ain't no how harmonius."

I was tempted to mention how often Dash told lies in the same thoughtless manner but that sounded really mean. Most of the time you can even trust her because she only lies about really silly things like how she's not scared, or she doesn't like something because it's too frilly even though it' so obvious she loves it. Though sometimes she brags about things she can't quite do yet, and them makes them become true, no matter how unlikely. She is just that amazing. I don't know why Dash things she needs to hide her fear. Daddy always said real bravery isn't being afraid, but going forward anyway. I wish I could be half as brave as Dash. Then Dash interrupted the brief silence.

"Yea, I mean I know if you weren't so kind you totally wouldn't be my friend anymore Flutter." Dash then laughed. "AJ is slightly less honest, though she is a really awful liar, but she also knows when it's best for everyone to not be honest."

"Whereas Dash is right that I'm a bit too loyal ta my kin. There is more than a few times, where I shouldn'ta picked their side."

"Yea, loyalty goes two ways. Gilda didn't see messing with my friends as any big deal, but my loyalty to you guys came before her being disloyal like that."

"What about Appaloosa? Never did figure that bit out."

"Huh, oh, simple. I was defending the train with my friends on it, and your tree. I never really had any loyalty to Appleloosa in the first place. How could I? So I was ticked at Little Strongheart a little at first, I fight with you all the time."

"Ah suppose that all adds up, don't it? Course what neither of us can figure is how Rarity is really the best choice fer Generosity."

"Yea, I mean Flutter is hecka generous, and Pinkie and Twi give stuff away a lot."

"Though Pinkie can be downright greedy at times. Ah mean…"

"You're wrong."

They both turned to me and blinked. I looked away and down. Oh now, I went way too far, didn’t I? I even interrupted AJ.

"I'm so sorry, I didn’t' mean to be so loud, or so rude."

"Your definition of loud is so broken." Said Dash, rolling her eyes

"Sugarcube, what do you mean? How are we wrong?"

"Rarity doesn't think about it at all. She just gives something away regardless of the consequences. She's so generous and kind. I think the only reason I represent kindness is because she's just so much more generous. And I'm not really generous at all."

"Now ah don't think either of those last two things can be a bit right."

"Forget that AJ, it's a losing battle. Yea, Rarity gives stuff away, but it all benefits her."

"But if that was true, why is she always almost broke?"

"Oh come on, that can't be right."

"Ya'll are pulling mah, leg, right? Ah mean you two have a planned spa day."

"Well, she says there are some necessities, but that's in her budget. Also, maybe, she is exaggerating a little bit."

Applejack just laughed. "Shoulda known."

"Hmmm, actually she only gets all drama queen over real stuff. So, almost broke might be pushing it, but she really does have problems keeping enough bits on hoof I bet. She's just good at getting bits and favors out of ponies too."

I nodded. "Yes. She often says if not for nice ponies she'd be long bankrupt."

"Okay, I gotta go talk to Twi about this. You two do whatever. If you need my help fixing the trees just find me and I'll help. Well not right before the thunderstorm today, but whenever else is good."

"Now wait a sec Dash ya get back her and explain why ya gotta…"

Dash was gone, only her rainbow trail hinting she was ever here. Applejack smiled, then turned to me. I smiled back.

"I'll help too, if you can think of anything for me to do."

"Well normally I would worry quite a bit about the shock of something like this, but I'm sure you could be a might helpful in making them all peaceful like once they're transplanted. Though maybe I could be doing it mahself, even if not as good."

"Ooo, really? Do you mean…"

"I done bucked a few trees Big Mac overdid a bit, probably trying to impress some filly he has his eye on, and they healed right up. Took about a day and can't be sure it was me, but ah felt a little something weird that I think might ah been magic."

"Might have?"

"Well I'm still new ta all this, and so far your karate…."

"It's not karate it's…"

"Whatever. Point is it been a big help but an off switch clearly ain't quite what ah wanted. Still, a little extra work never hurt nopony."

"But it's still better right. I mean I want to help you as fast as I can but…"

"Ah get it Sugarcube. It's a touch frustrating but ah get it. And as ah said ah think ah felt a bit oh something flowing though me even with all the earth magic bound up nice and tight so ah figure ah can practice that by maself at least."

I smiled. "That's great. I'm sure soon you'll be able to do everything I can with plants."

"Somehow ah doubt that sugarcube. Still, if ah ever need a bit oh help ah know who to call. Clearly, working together…" She looked at the trees. "…we can do big things."

I laughed. "We can. I mean I didn't really do much but I guess…"

"Anyway, I gotta get. Not only am ah curious 'bout what Dash wants with 'er, but Twi is the one to talk to about something like this here undertaking."

"Okay. Have fun. I'll see you later." Then I blinked. "Oh unless now is better, I mean it's inconvenient and…"

"Just stop right there." She shook her head. "Ya really gotta show a bit more of that there backbone of yours. I know you got one. Besides as ah said got something else ta do."

"Oh, uh sorry I…"

Applejack sighed.

"Oh, uh, I guess apologizing is not the right thing to do huh?" I smiled

"No, it ain't. Not in this here case. Now just you stick to your own plans and I'll stick to mine and I'll see you later."

"Okay. I think I'll go see Rarity if you need me."

"Have fun."

I waved, and she waved back. Then she outright galloped off. I think she was faster too, but I wondered if it was magic, or punching giant rocks is just good exercise. I then lifted off. Not too high, I still wanted to be able to see all the lovely animals and plants. Also not too low, I didn't want to bump into anypony, or worse have everypony look at me. I smiled as I flew off at a nice, comfortable speed.