• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,077 Views, 16 Comments

A Fluttery Day: RotE Episode 5 - Dream Volt



Fluttershy has a nice day. Oh, and antlers.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,077

Flutterboom

The glade was very nice. I think Rarity called it that first, and I think it sounds lovely. It wasn't that true before, but Applejack suggested I actually try planting some fruit trees, and that worked nicely, so now it really is a sort of little forest. Though Twilight suggested I try some rare varieties of tree not from around here, and those worked too, so it's a nice mix. She also suggested I try a clipping from my bonzai and seeing if I could grow that into a full fledged tree. I looked up at the pink blossoming Neighponese cherry tree. Mom always just called it a Sakura tree of course.

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be blossoming right now, but I was beginning to expect things like that. My talent is animals, but I've always loved all nature. Dash thought it was weird, but it just made sense to me. Twilight said there were six material elements just like there six elements of harmony, and nature is always the one I felt closest too. I was even letting myself enjoy some of the things I could do. I then held a hoof to my head, touching my hair clip. Luna said not to wear it if I could help it, but some things just really scared me.

I then blinked. I was done again. I figured out I could somehow simply know if any animals nearby had any problems. It made taking care of everyone so much easier. Some of the extra plants meant I didn't need to feed as many animals, which was nice. I still had to ask some of the plants to release their berries, but that wasn't hard. Some how they didn't seem to get hurt anymore either, or at least not as often. I smiled. It was strange it kept getting easier, but Dash is right, I shouldn’t complain. I took to the air, and flew off for Dash's house. I think she was right, and my flying was a little better.

I smiled as the gentle breeze passed over my wings and through my mane. It was such a lovely day. Perfect for a flight. I was never the strongest flyer, and had horrible trouble when I was younger, but that doesn't mean I'm bad at it now. I mean I've watched the best flyer in Equestria for most of my life, I just had to pick up a few tips. I hated to disappoint Dream Volt, he seems like such a nice pony, but I wasn't really afraid of heights or falling. Fear makes my wings lock up a lot, but it's always something else. Dash is right and I need to get over it. I mean Pegasai are supposed to fly away from things they fear, not just freeze. It's just hard. I mean some things are just so scary. Though I guess when I'm scared I panic, and when I panic everything seems scarier, even tall things.

"Hay Fluttershy."

I yelped. My wings didn't even freeze for a second though. Then I looked up to see Dash just a little bit above me. I smiled.

"Sorry about that Flutter. So where you going?"

"I was coming to visit you."

"Ooo, already? Sounds like it won't be too long before you can take care of your animals In ten seconds flat."

I laughed. "I don't think I'll ever be that fast."

"Maybe not, but we're all at least 56% cooler, so maybe one day you'll be fast enough, even if I could clear the skies for all of Equestria in ten seconds by then."

I briefly frowned, then smiled. "Yea, that would be, nice."

"Hay, what's wrong with that? I mean do you think that was too boastful, cause I didn't say now just..."

"I bet Luna could do that if she really wanted."

"Well maybe, but what does that have to do with…" Then she blinked. "Oh, this isn't about doubting me, it's you think I'm right?"

I nodded. "It's just so scary Dash. I mean it's nice, but to have so much power. Even though it's not the same, the idea that we might be equal to Celestia and…"

I then dropped a few feet. I closed my eyes and focused. Antlers weren't quite the same as a horn, but sometimes Twilight almost made them sound better. Dash was smiling and shaking her head.

"Oh man, I still don't get this. I know it upsets you somehow and want to help, but how can practically being an alicorn not be awesome."

I looked down. "I just, uh…"

"Look, you don't want to think about it, fine, whatever. I can't seem to help, so lets just forget all about that. So what do you want to do?"

"Uh, maybe…"

Dash sighed. I really didn't have any idea. Helping my animal friends has always been very rewarding, but also very time consuming. Even when I did get time town is so full of ponies, most of whom I didn't know. Dash started flying off somewhere, I followed, smiling.

"You really gotta learn to make up your own mind."

"I know Dash. You know it used to be just you and Rarity. Now not only are Pinkie and Twilight in town, but I go to see them on my own sometimes."

Dash nodded in front of me. "Yea. It took forever for Rarity to convince you to have a weekly spa day even though you said how nice that sounded the very first time she mentioned it."

"And you remember the first time I met Applejack?"

"Yea, I don't know what was harder, coaxing you out of the bush after that hoof shake, or convincing AJ you were just like that and not to worry."

We both laughed. It's strange. I used to be afraid of everything. Sometimes I'm still bad, but ever since I helped vanquish Nightmare Moon everything seems just a little less scary. I mean she was really scary, but with my friends we turned her back into Luna, who isn't scary at all. Just thinking of Dash always helped, but now I think of all my friends and it's just so much easier to not be afraid.

"Hay, did I ever tell you the story how I met AJ?"

"I don't think so."

"Okay, well this was not long after your parents bought your cottage so you could spend more time on the ground. I'm sure you remember that."

I nodded. "I was so happy. Even if daddy almost never had enough free time, mom would take me down as often as she could. We started fixing it up and…"

"I helped, remember? AJ and some of the others probably haven't heard that story, but I don't need to. Hay, with AJ's uber family thing I bet she'd love to hear it."

"So it was after that? Did you come to visit me?"

She nodded. "Yea, see you didn't know about it at the time." Dash blinked. "Or at least didn't care enough to tell me, but that doesn't matter. The point is the running of the leaves was going on one day I came to visit."

"Oh, so you met her near the race?"

"I met her in the race. It seemed cool enough, and even foals can enter, well, sorta. They make you take an easier route behind the adults but it's still kinda the same thing."

"I thought you said the running of leaves was stupid and you'd stick to sky races?"

"Well, yea, but I said that because she whipped me good. We were really close for a while, but near the end I was exhausted and she didn't even look tired. That's probably why AJ suggested it last fall in the first place. She remembered the first time."

I giggled. "So that's why you didn't compete most years, because AJ beat you when you were still a foal?"

She nodded. "Yea, sorta. I mean eventually I just forgot about it. Also, compared to the Cloudsdale slalom it really is boring."

I gasped. "Oh my, that race is so frightening. I get scared just seeing you dive so low, and take such tight turns, and especially when you go though such narrow gaps."

"Yea. I'm actually pretty excited about it for the first time in years. I'm finally out of the junior division, and can get some real competition again. I haven't been this excited since I graduated out of the foal division."

"Oh, uh, that's, nice."

"Hmm, lets try something. You still remember how to follow my slipstream right?"

"Uh, yes but…"

"Don't worry. I'll make sure I don't go too fast. Still, we can get to AJ's at least a little bit faster this way, and you do like it."

"Yes, it's, fun."

I smiled, then focused as Dash sped up. I did like flying, but mostly I didn't really like flying so fast. It would only take one little mistake and suddenly you crash into something. I don't know how Dash can do it, even if it really doesn't hurt her as much as it looks like it does. Following Dash's slipstream was neat. I didn't have to be half as good as Dash and as long as I was following her I didn't have to worry about hitting anything. I just lost myself in the task at hoof.

Then I noticed something strange. I was keeping up with Dash, but she kept going faster. I wasn't trying nearly as hard as I should be to keep up, even with her slipstream. I decided to try something even though if I was wrong Dash might be upset. I fell into a hover. I was still behind her. It was almost like I was being pulled behind her like some banner on a string. Then the most amazing thing happened. A sonic rainboom and I was right behind her. I spun around to marvel at it. Up close it was even more amazing than ever.

"Oh crud I was going way to fast. I better go back for Fluttergraaaa…"

I turned back around to see Dash dropping out of the sky. She quickly recovered then just stared up at me.

"No way. I mean I know I said, but there is no way you're already fast enough to…"

"Oh, it's not that. I stopped generating forward thrust and I was still behind you."

Dash blinked. "What? You mean you were behind me like some cart or something."

"Uh, well, maybe?" I smiled

"Hey, I bet you were. I mean Twilight said something about how multiple pegasai are required to pull big stuff, and their magic syncs up to make that work."

"But isn't it the slowest flying among them?"

"No, that's a speed and thrust thing. I guess this means I'm so awesome, that as long as you're trying to fly behind me I can pull you along at full speed. Awesome."

"Something about that sounds wrong."

"Oh whatever, we're already here, lets just find AJ."

"Uh, isn't that Sweet Apple Acres all the way over there?" I turned around and pointed with one hoof. "Oh I'm confused. I'm sorry."

"Heh he. I guess I overshot a bit. Come on Flutter, lets go."

I followed, but mostly focused on the rainboom. I had seen the smaller ones up close, but this was different. It was a real full-fledged rainboom just like that first time. Just like the young flyer's competition. It was amazing.