• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 888 Views, 16 Comments

Moments in Time - Shingo

  • ...
5
 16
 888

Ending in Tears

There are many things worth celebrating, and many of those celebrations involve the birth of something new. Holidays like Hearts and Hooves Day celebrate the birth of love while Hearth’s Warming Eve celebrates the birth of a country. And birthdays obviously celebrate the birth of an individual. Weddings, much like Hearts and Hooves Day, celebrate love. And like Hearts and Hooves Day, they celebrate a new type of love that has been born. Many were experiencing this idea as they sat within a wedding reception held in the Canterlot Gardens. All around the gardens were tables set up with ponies sitting at them. The three princesses of the country were scattered around the reception talking and enjoying themselves. Off to the side was a pair of speakers and sitting in between them was a turntable. Beside the set up was a baby grand piano and various instruments sat around it. All of the musicians were sitting at a table talking with one another and enjoying themselves much like the other guests. A long rectangular table had been set up at the end of the garden allowing those who sat at it to watch the entire scene. Sitting at it were a pink earth pony and a purple unicorn both wearing wedding gowns, the bridesmaids, three flower girls, and a lone groomsman. The groomsman was a purple teenage dragon wearing a tuxedo and had a top hat over his head. He stood up and picked up a martini glass full of a redish brown liquid and a cherry inside it.

“Excuse me,” he said tapping the glass. “If I could get everypony’s attention.” The crowd at the reception ignored him. The dragon sighed and reached behind his seat. He picked up a cane with a spherical piece of brass at the end of it. With the cane in hand, he jumped over the table. The martini glass was picked up with his left hand before he approached the piano. As he moved to the piano, the cane idly moved between his fingers causing it to swing in a circle. The martini glass was brought to his lips. He reached the piano and raised the cane above his head. The end of the cane was dropped onto the piano’s keys. A deep note vibrated across the garden causing every guest to turn to the piano. The cane was lifted from the piano and twirled around. The martini glass was placed on the piano just as the end of the cane was put on the ground. The dragon placed both of his hands on the brass end of the cane with a smile on his face.

“Do I have your attention now?” all of the guests and those at the long table nodded. “Good, now I can make that speech that always seems to happen at weddings. But before I do, I have a question to ask you all. How many of you thought that the newlywed’s relationship would end in tears?” The guests looked at each other with nervous expressions on their faces. The purple unicorn gave the dragon a glare while the pink earth pony giggled.

“Go on, show me. I’m not afraid to admit that I thought that it would end that way. If you thought that that would happen too, please raise your hoof,” the elder diarch of the country slowly raised her hoof into the air. After seeing it, more hooves moved upwards. The three of the princesses of the country, the siblings of both of the brides, the flower girls, the bridesmaids, the brides’ parents, and even the pink bride had her hoof in the air. The purple unicorn looked around the reception with an annoyed expression on her face. The dragon chuckled. “Everypony else thinking that isn’t really a surprise, but you, Pinkie? That’s rather surprising.” He took a sip from his glass.

“And why wouldn’t you all think it would end that way?” he asked. “It’s the only logical answer. The two of them are polar opposites. Twilight is obsessed with order, everything has to be just perfect for her or she won’t enjoy herself, no matter what the situation. And as clichéd as it sounds, Pinkie is Pinkie. One is order, while the other is chaos. No matter how hard one tries, they can’t mix together. Hell, when the two of them shared that they were in a romantic relationship, me and their friends gambled on how long we thought their relationship would last and how it would end. By the way, Rainbow Dash, you owe me thirty bits.” The reception chuckled.

“But while the two are complete opposites,” he continued. “It should be no surprise that they found a way for their relationship to work. Order and chaos are two opposites, they chase after each other creating harmony. And like the two fundamental forces of the universe, these two constantly chase each other and balance one another out. You know how we all thought their relationship would end in tears?” Many of the guests nodded.

“Well, we were right,” murmurs moved around the reception. “Not in the way you think though. There is a kind of sacredness in tears. They’re not the mark of weakness like many think, but instead they’re a show of power. They can communicate more than ten thousand different languages. They are a sign of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and, most importantly, of unspeakable love. Their relationship did end in tears, but they were tears of love instead of sadness. As a matter of fact, the day that Pinkie proposed, Twilight cried. I’d never seen her so happy before. But mixed within the happiness was a slight bit of disappointment. Not because of anything you did, Pinkie, far from it. It was there because Twilight didn't get to go through with her planned proposal. You would have liked it. She was planning to propose with a Rube Goldberg machine that was the size of one of the towers of Canterlot Castle. But, I seem to have deviated from my original point.” Again, the dragon sipped from his glass.

“While their old relationship ended, a new one grew from it. That’s why we’re all here today. We’re here to celebrate their new relationship. And I hope that it’ll be a long time before it ends in tears again,” the martini glass was raised in the air. “Here’s to their new relationship. May it have a long life without ending in tears. But if it does, may those tears be tears of joy rather than tears of sadness. Cheers!”

“Cheers!”