• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 888 Views, 16 Comments

Moments in Time - Shingo

  • ...
5
 16
 888

A Welcome Surprise

A bar is a common set piece in stories, and why wouldn’t it be? Within bars, there is life. There is interaction between all kinds of different ponies. Many go to them drown their sorrows, to celebrate, or to relax. Thousands of stories can be told from within a bar and each and every one of them would be different. That was what Berry Punch believed when she opened her establishment. And it was a belief that had been constantly proven. She stood behind a counter mixing drinks. Bottles of every size and colour sat behind her. Four taps were installed to her right, each attached to a locally made brew. To her left was a bronze gong. She wore a white dress shirt and a black vest. A black bowtie was around her neck while a red armband was around her left foreleg. Her eyes were looking out past the counter as she shook a cocktail shaker. Booths with red velvet seats were lined up against the wall and an entranceway sat between two booths. A large number of them were filled with ponies talking with one another. Tables were scattered all around the floor. Like the booths, they were filled with ponies. In front of each of the patrons was a drink poured by Berry herself. She pulled a martini glass from under the counter. The contents of the cocktail shaker were poured into it and an olive with a toothpick in it was placed in the glass. The glass was placed on a serving tray along with a glass full of an orange liquid and a pint full of cider. A yellow unicorn mare wearing clothing similar to Berry’s outfit lifted the tray in her magical grasp. When she moved to a nearby table, the entrance opened. A butter yellow pegasus mare with a long pink mane and tail walked into the bar. She was wearing a white coat with a brown faux fur trim along the hood and cuffs. A weak smile was on her face as she approached the counter.

“Hello Berry,” she said.

“Hey there, Shy,” Berry said. She turned around and grabbed a bottle full of a dark brown liquid. The bottle was opened up and its contents poured into a shot glass. Berry pushed the glass to Fluttershy. “Here you go.”

“Thank you, but I can’t handle whiskey,” Fluttershy pushed the glass back to Berry.

“It’s on the house,” the glass was pushed back. “And I can tell that you need it.”

“I don’t need it, Berry,” Fluttershy said. “I feel fine.”

“And yet,” Berry started. “Your smile says differently.”

“I…”

“You’re nervous,” she continued. “Something inside you is making you tremble. I don’t know what exactly that is, but I can see you shake. Take this, it’ll calm your nerves.” Fluttershy looked down at the whiskey. After a few seconds of staring at it, she sighed. It was picked up and thrown down her throat. The glass was placed on the counter with a pained expression on Fluttershy’s face.

“Better?”

“Actually, yes. Thank you, Berry,” Fluttershy shuffled her hooves. “Do you think you can lend an ear?”

“That’s part of my job,” Berry began filling a pint with an amber liquid. “What’s eating you?”

“Nothing… well, that’s a bit of a lie,” the pint was slid across the counter. A blue unicorn stallion caught it and slid four gold coins back to Berry. “I need to talk to Pinkie about something. Something very important and potentially life changing.” The gears in Berry’s mind began turning.

“And… well, I’m not sure how to say it,” a small ding went off in the bartender’s mind. “Any advice?”

“Be kind,” Berry chuckled. “Though knowing you, it shouldn’t be that hard. But since it’s Pinkie, you’re going to have to be really gentle. I don’t want a dramatic scene in my bar. Understand?” Fluttershy nodded.

“Can I get a booth?” the purple mare nodded. “And could you direct Pinkie to it when she gets here?”

“Of course. Lucky,” a gray earth pony stallion carrying an empty tray turned to Berry. “Bring Miss Fluttershy here to an empty booth. Would you like a drink?”

“Could I get a screwdriver?” again Berry nodded. She gestured to Lucky who lead Fluttershy to a booth. Fluttershy was lead to a booth off to Berry’s right and within her line of sight. When she was finished mixing the drink, Lucky returned and placed it on a tray. After a few minutes of serving drinks, the entrance way opened. Three ponies left the bar while another one entered. A bright pink earth pony wearing a baby blue jacket walked into the bar. She had a wide smile on her face as she hopped to the counter.

“Hi Berry!” she chirped. “Can you make me a sweet cranberry martini?”

“Sure thing, Pinks,” Berry began filling a cocktail shaker with cranberry juice. “You seem happy.”

“Why wouldn't I be?” vodka and cointreau were thrown into the shaker. Berry grasped it in her hooves and began shaking. “This place holds a lot of happy memories for me.”

“I'm glad to hear that,” a red liquid was poured into a martini glass. A lemon wedge was placed on the rim of the glass before being pushed to Pinkie. “Here you are. By the way, Fluttershy’s waiting for you.”

“Is she here?” Berry nodded. “Shoot, I thought I wouldn’t be late. Can you tell me where Flutters is?” A purple hoof pointed to the right. “Thanks Berry!” Pinkie walked to where Fluttershy sat with her drink at hoof. When she reached the booth, the two of them shared a brief kiss. Pinkie removed her jacket and sat down. Berry returned to her bartending but kept an eye on the two ponies.

Fifteen minutes after Pinkie had ordered her drink, Fluttershy’s face took on a serious expression. Here we go. Her mouth was moving and Pinkie was captivated by every word. As Berry was pouring a pint, Pinkie’s eyes widened. There it is. I better get ready for the heartbreak. The pink pony said something that Berry couldn’t hear. She reached over and held onto Fluttershy’s hooves. Based on the expression on Pinkie’s face, Berry assumed she was pleading. Fluttershy giggled and pushed Pinkie’s hooves away. Okay, that’s new. She reached into her coat and pulled a small blue velvet box from it. The box was opened up and Fluttershy said something. Sitting in it was a gold ring with a balloon shaped diamond on it. Both of Pinkie’s hooves shot to her mouth as tears began to form in her eyes. Fluttershy began to say something but was stopped by pink hooves grabbing her face. Pinkie pulled herself forward and locked lips with the pony in front of her. Berry smiled. Well, this is a pleasant surprise. She opened up a mini fridge under the counter and pulled out a bottle with gold foil wrapped around its neck. Two narrow glasses were placed on the counter as the foil was torn away. A snifter was filled with a light brown liquid.

“Lemon,” a yellow unicorn passing by Berry stopped in her place. “Can you bring these to those two over there once they’re filled?” The unicorn turned to where Pinkie and Fluttershy sat. A smile appeared on her face and she nodded. A cork sat in the bottle. Berry turned it to the gong and pushed on the cork. It flew from the bottle and hit in the direct center of the gong. A loud clang echoed in the bar causing every patron to turn to the counter. Each of the narrow glasses were filled with a fizzy yellow liquid. The glasses were covered in a light blue aura and brought to Pinkie and Fluttershy’s booth.

“Fillies and Gents,” Berry said. “I’d like to propose a toast.” She lifted the snifter into the air.

“To the soon to be newlyweds,” she continued. “May their lives together be filled with happiness and prosperity. And may their love shine brighter than the sun itself, lighting their way through the darkness of the unknown. Cheers!”

“Cheers!” all of the patrons echoed. Glass clinking together could be heard all around the bar. Fluttershy’s face became a deep shade of red. Pinkie lifted her champagne flute and smiled at her new fiancée. She matched her expression and lifted her champagne flute. Both of them clinked together before being brought to yellow and pink lips.