• Published 1st Apr 2024
  • 216 Views, 117 Comments

Marking the Generations – Part Four - Glimbursts



The fourth part of Marking the Generations, a reimagining of the later stages of the Make your Mark series. Equestria is under attack! Can our heroes stand united to prevail against Opaline or will she be free from her castle prison?

  • ...
0
 117
 216

Chapter Nine – Worrying about Peach Fizz

Jazz and Posey made their way through the crowds of partying ponies. They both looked an utter mess after their journey from Opaline’s castle.

They’d had no idea how to get back to Maretime Bay and therefore had followed the purple vein. However, in their weakened state, they hadn’t made it back before the vein eventually disappeared. Then, with no way to tell which way to go, they had gotten lost.

They were covered in mud, leaves, and twigs and were both extremely relieved they made it back. However, Posey was getting more and more agitated at the odd looks they were getting from ponies all around them.

“We should just tell one of the Guards,” Posey moaned. “I don’t want to be here looking like this.”

“No, we need to tell Pipp, or Sunny,” Jazz responded. “They’ll be able to help her.”

“JAZZ!”

Jazz gasped and turned at the sound of a familiar voice. She smiled broadly as Rocky ran up, skidding to a stop before her.

Before Rocky realised what was happening, Jazz had thrown her hoofs around him. He felt confused but gratefully returned the embrace.

“Where have you been?” Rocky asked. “You haven’t been returning my messages. I was worried something happened to you.”

“Well, that’s because it did,” Posey grumbled. “We were pony-napped by Opaline.”

“W...what?” Rocky gasped as he broke the embrace with Jazz.

He held her shoulders with both hoofs as he looked at her all over with concern. “Are you okay? What happened? How did you get away?”

Jazz couldn’t help smiling at Rocky’s concern for her as she placed a reassuring hoof on his leg.

“It’s okay, I’m fine now,” she smiled. “I’ll explain all about it later, right now we need to speak with Pipp or Sunny.”

“It’s kind of urgent,” Posey added.

“Oh, okay,” Rocky smiled as he looked at Jazz with relief. “Well, I think Pipp is getting ready to perform. Sunny I’m not so sure but most of their friends are in the VIP area.”

“Right, we’d better see if we can speak to them then,” Jazz replied. “Please come with us, Rocky. I’m so glad to see you again.”

Rocky’s eyes glistened slightly as he smiled and nodded. He gave Jazz another small hug before he moved away.

“It’s this way,” he smiled.


Queen Haven was walking down the ramp from the VIP balcony. As she reached the bottom, she found Jazz, Rocky and Posey standing talking to the two Guards posted there.

“You don’t understand,” Jazz gasped. “We just need to speak to one of them. We don’t have to go in, they could come here.”

“I’m sorry,” the Guard replied. “We’ve been having ponies coming and asking this all night. We can’t just let anypony up there or get them to come down to everypony who wants to shake hoofs.”

“But this is an important matter,” Posey responded. “It’s about Opaline and those who were working for her.”

“Please,” Jazz pleaded. “We just want to help a little filly who we think was caught up in things she doesn’t understand. We just want to make sure she’s okay.”

Queen Haven frowned as she now approached, coughing as she did so to get the Guard's attention.

“Your Majesty,” the Guard gasped as he saluted. “Apologies, we were...”

“At ease,” Queen Haven smiled. “I heard most of the conversation and I know Jazz and Rocky both work for my dear Pipp. Please issue them with passes to upstairs.”

“Certainly, Your Majesty,” the second Guard replied as she turned to prepare the passes.

“Apologies, we were unaware,” the first Guard added as he bowed.

“That’s completely fine,” Queen Haven smiled. “You were doing your jobs. Now, Jazz, Rocky whatever is the matter? What’s this about a little filly? Also, whatever has happened to you Jazz and your friend here?”

“We were pony-napped,” Posey frowned. “Not that anypony seems to care.”

“We were taken by Opaline,” Jazz clarified. “We’re worried about a little filly named Peach Fizz. She...”

Queen Haven held a hoof up indicating Jazz should stop.

“I’m concerned to hear Opaline took you both and nopony has followed up on your whereabouts,” Queen Haven sighed. “I’m therefore glad to see you are both okay. It’s wonderful to see your first concern is for Peach Fizz. Although, we are fully aware of her involvement in all this, and I can assure you she’s fine.”

“Could I see her?” Jazz asked hopefully. “I just want to make sure she’s okay for myself.”

“She’s upstairs,” Queen Haven smiled. “So that won’t be a problem.”

“Here are your passes,” the Guard answered as she handed them to Jazz and Rocky.

“I’ll leave you to it Jazz, I’m off home for a shower,” Posey groaned. “If Peach Fizz is okay then I think I’ve done my part.”

“If you come round tomorrow morning Posey, I’ll do that hooficure for you,” Jazz smiled.

“Oh, you better make that a mane and tail style too,” Posey replied with a grateful smile.

“Sure, no problem,” Jazz chuckled before turning back to Queen Haven. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

“That’s no problem at all Jazz,” Queen Haven smiled. “Now, both of you run along. I’ve got my own matters to look into. Guards, have you seen Alphabittle?”


Whilst Posey walked away, Jazz and Rocky smiled and bowed before they both hurried upstairs. Once there, Jazz smiled as she spotted Peach Fizz sitting with Starlight, clearly receiving some magic tuition.

As she approached the pair, Starlight looked up and gasped. “Oh Celestia, Jazz! We completely forgot about you and Posey! Are you both okay? Where is Posey?”

“We’re both fine, Posey decided to go home,” Jazz smiled. “Opaline used us both as test subjects to make sure her plan to take everypony’s cutie mark worked. She let us go after that.”

“That sounds terrible,” Peach Fizz gasped.

“You’re sure you’re okay?” Starlight added with concern. “You look like you’ve been thrown through ten bushes backwards.”

“Let’s just say neither Posey nor I were good Filly Guides,” Jazz smiled. “We got a little lost trying to make it back.”

“Oh, I’m a Filly Guide,” Peach Fizz grinned. “I have my map reading badge too. I bet I could have gotten you back okay.”

“Looks like you’ve fared worse Starlight,” Rocky replied with concern. “I assume it was a tough battle with Opaline.”

“Well, it wasn’t Opaline who did this,” Starlight sighed. “However, I’m okay. Just need to heal a bit, that’s all.”

Starlight smiled at them both before noticing Jazz was still worriedly looking at Peach Fizz. “Jazz, if you’re worried about Peach Fizz, don’t be. She’s completely fine now.”

“Wait,” Peach Fizz gasped. “When you were at Opaline's, I was there wasn’t I? That’s why you’re worried.”

“Well…” Jazz blinked with confusion before looking questioningly at Starlight.

“Yeah, by fine I mean she doesn’t remember what she did for Opaline,” Starlight clarified. “Opaline cast some sort of loyalty spell on her. Therefore, Hitch has already written it up that if anything comes to light, Peach Fizz can’t be held responsible. It will all go onto Opaline and from what Sunny has said, she’s gone and won’t be coming back.”

Jazz breathed a sigh of relief before smiling at Peach Fizz. “I knew it, I knew something was wrong with you.”

“So, I was there?” Peach Fizz asked again.

“Yes, you were,” Jazz replied softly. “But you were acting so strangely. I knew something had to be wrong. I’m glad you’re okay now.”

“I’m glad you’re okay too,” Peach Fizz smiled. “It all feels so strange. Ponies keep telling me about things that I have no memory of. Like, Seashell says we’ve got a new project at school, and Glory said I’ve already started it. The thing is, I don’t remember anything about it!”

“I’m sure Seashell and Glory will help you with that,” Starlight smiled. “Now, let’s see you levitate that orange and apple together.”

Peach Fizz grinned as she looked back to the orange and apple that were on the table in front of her. Jazz meanwhile nodded a grateful thanks to Starlight as she and Rocky headed towards the refreshments.


Meanwhile, Pipp had gathered her five friends backstage. She had a proposal for them and was extremely excited as she finished explaining.

“No way,” Zipp said. “We’ve not even heard this new song of yours. Let alone had a chance to practise and rehearse.”

“Which is no different to the Unity Dance. I wanted you to practice but none of you did. However, it turned out brilliantly in the end.” Sunny grinned. “I think we should do it. It’ll be a blast.”

“But the Unity Dance was just in front of a few ponies,” Misty gasped. “And we were wearing masks. Everypony in Equestria is here.”

“I think we’re already famous now Misty,” Hitch responded. “If anything, doing this will show everypony how strong our friendship is.”

“Or make us a laughingstock when we can’t dance together,” Zipp frowned. “The Unity Dance is completely different to standing on stage in front of all Equestria. We need to practice.”

“I’ll make sure everypony knows you’re all going into this blind,” Pipp grinned. “You all just need to follow my lead.”

“Let’s do it,” Izzy grinned. “We’ll rock this joint and show everypony how close we are.”

“Okay, okay fine,” Misty gasped. “But I’m staying at the back, okay. Where I can follow everypony else.”

“Well, if Misty’s in then I’m in too,” Zipp groaned. “I am supposed to be the Element of Bravery after all.”

“Yasssss,” Pipp squealed with a beaming smile on her face. “As I said, I’ve got one song first and then we’ll Make our Mark. This is going to be epiiiic.”


In the meantime, in the Crystal Tea Room back in Bridlewood. Alphabittle sighed as he sat at a table, pouring himself a drink. The room was dark apart from one candle on the table in front of him. As he lifted the drink to his mouth, Alphabittle sighed as he looked at a photo.

Suddenly, the sound of the bell above the door made him jump. Gasping, he looked directly towards the door but couldn’t make out the figure in the darkness.

“Sorry, sign says we’re closed,” he grunted.

“Oh Alphie, surely that doesn’t mean me as well?”

Alphabittle blinked with shock and surprise. “Haven?”

Queen Haven walked forward into the light, a concerned look on her face.

“I...I’m sorry,” Alphabittle sighed. “I didn’t realise it was you.”

“What’s wrong Alphie?” Queen Haven asked worriedly. “I’ve been looking for you. What made you leave the party?”

Alphabittle sighed and looked at the picture gravely. After a moment of hesitation, he turned it so Queen Haven could see. “This is why,” he said.

Queen Haven looked at the photo. It was of a blue unicorn filly with a teal mane and tail. She was laughing, holding a cuddly butterfly in a hoof.

“Who...Who is she?” Queen Haven gasped.

“My daughter,” Alphabittle sighed. “She disappeared, many moons ago. We searched and searched, but couldn’t find her. It was like she disappeared into thin air.”

“Oh Alphabittle,” Queen Haven gasped. “That’s so sad, I’m so sorry. But, what’s brought this on? You know you can tell me anything.”

Alphabittle gulped as his throat went dry. He sighed as he looked back at the photo. “Even when we believed she’d been taken by Pegasi?”

“Oh my dear Alphabittle,” Queen Haven sighed as she put a reassuring hoof on his. “That is a completely rational and understandable assumption given the times we were living in. Now, please, what has gotten you thinking about her? What’s gotten all these painful memories resurfacing?”

Alphabittle sighed again, his shoulders slumping in resignation.

“The blue unicorn that was with your Pipp and Zipp,” he sighed. “On stage wearing one of the elements with them.”

“Wait, you think...”

“I...I don’t know,” Alphabittle replied as he shook his head. “It is possible though. She would be around their age now.”

“Then come back to the party and meet her,” Queen Haven suggested. “I have a VIP pass for you.”

“If it is her, I doubt she’ll want to meet me,” Alphabittle sighed.

“Alphabittle,” Queen Haven sighed. “From speaking with her. I know Misty is looking for her family. Even if she turns out not to be your daughter...”

“No, that all but confirms it,” Alphabittle gulped. “My daughter's name is Misty, Misty Brightdawn.”

“Then you certainly need to come and meet her,” Queen Haven breathed as she held out the VIP pass. “Don’t make me give you a royal order now.”

Alphabittle gave a small smile at that. Then, giving Queen Haven a grateful look he accepted the VIP pass before rising from his chair. After extinguishing the candle, they walked out of the Tea Room together and headed back towards the portal. Zoom and Thunder, who had been outside, followed a respectful distance behind.