• Published 20th Feb 2024
  • 238 Views, 42 Comments

One Stubborn Mare - TheKing2001



When Sunset runs around helping her friends and the other townsponies, she continuously refuses help, creating more problems than she was fixing.

  • ...
0
 42
 238

Silverspeed Learns Metalworking

Shoeshine sighed as she stood in her smelting shop in the back part of her horse shoe business as she tapped a hoof impatiently on the ground, turning her furnace on.

“Sorry I’m late,” Silverspeed said as she trotted in and looked around curiously at the equipment Shoeshine had. “Woah. Is this how my horse shoes are made?”

“Among other things. Size eight by the way,” Shoeshine said as she glanced quickly at Silverspeed’s hooves.

“I’m sorry?”

“Your horseshoe size. It’s a silver size eight,” Shoeshine answered as she tossed a welding mask to the pegasus. “Protect your eyes. There’s a lot of sparks back here when I start working.”

“Do I want to know why you know my shoe size by just looking at my hooves?” Silverspeed asked with a raised eyebrow as she put her mask on.

“I’ve done this for a while. I automatically know just by looking at hooves. Plus, it’s my cutie mark,” Shoeshine said as she jabbed a hoof at her flank. “I learned to do all this at a young age so come on. It’s a bit difficult but follow my instructions to the letter and we will be good.”

“Yes ma’am!” Silverspeed tossed a mock salute and Shoeshine snorted.

“At ease or whatever it is they say.”

“At ease, yeah. So what is that?” Silverspeed asked as she pointed at a lathe.

“It’s a lathe. It rotates sheets of metal at high speeds. Once we heat up the sheets, we’re gonna shape them to the desired shapes to hold up the top. We’re gonna be working on the base first,” Shoeshine explained as she pointed at the large furnace.

“That is one big furnace,” Silverspeed whistled as Shoeshine nodded smugly. “How hot is it?”

“One thousand degrees. I’ve spent a lot of bits on my work shop. Screw Loose usually helps out back here with bringing me metal or tools I need but today you’re gonna be her while she is with her friends. Once we get the metal heated and shaped, we’re gonna dunk it in water to cool it. Then we will be done for the day.”

“Do you just use your hooves or?” Silverspeed asked as Shoeshine shook her head, picking up some mitts with her hooves and putting thems on.

“Mitts. I may be strong but I’m not burn proof though I wish I was. That would be pretty helpful,” Shoeshine muttered as she tossed the gloves onto her table and picked up a sheet of metal. “Open the hatch for me please and be careful, don’t burn yourself.”

Silverspeed nodded and carefully opened it as Shoeshine shoved the sheet metal in.

“We will leave that there for about thirty minutes to an hour. It’s gotta be red hot. Normally I’d use gold or sterling silver for this but I don’t have any on hoof,” Shoeshine said as she and Silverspeed stepped back. “We can sit around and talk while it heats up. It’s gotta be red hot. It’s gonna get hot in here.”

Silverspeed sat down on a nearby table as Shoeshine yawned, propping her head up with a hoof.

“So what’s your issue with the Cakes?” Silverspeed asked curiously as Shoeshine shrugged.

“Mrs. Cake is fine. Her husband is a bit annoying though. He’s the main issue. I don’t like the ponies he hangs out with, they made jokes about Carrot Top and Screw Loose once. Sure, he didn’t make any but still. Guilty by association,” Shoeshine answered as she sat down across from her pegasus friend.

“Ah. Makes sense,” Silverspeed commented as she placed her hooves on the surface.

“Now it’s my turn for a question,” Shoeshine grinned as Silverspeed internally groaned. “So how long you live in Ponyville?”

“Well since I was eight technically since my sister was born an earth pony. Can’t live in the clouds then. Then I left at seventeen to be a Royal Guard and here we are. I got assigned to Ponyville shortly before Sunset got here. Kinda weird how that happened. Fate I suppose.”

“Who assigned you to this area?” Shoeshine asked curiously as Silverspeed paused.

“It came from the very top. Princess Celestia herself sent me the letter and to my superior officer to be assigned here. I technically work for Sunset and do whatever she needs. Not that she really asks for help much unless it’s where something is, where somepony lives or to buy more alcohol which she gives me the bits.”

“That is weird how that worked out. Ironic how all the elements were in one town when they were needed,” Shoeshine mused as she brushed her mane out of her eyes. “Kinda wonder what else is gonna need the Elements.”

“Hopefully nothing. But knowing Trixie, she is probably hoping we fight a hydra or something crazy like that,” Silverspeed commented as the pair laughed.

“Probably knowing her. Trixie does love adventure after all.”

The two sat quietly as they watched the metal in the furnace as Shoeshine grabbed the rod with a mitt and flipped it over. Silverspeed had to admit, she never really cared much to learn about how her armor or other metal items were made but it was a bit interesting to see how expertly Shoeshine made it all seem so easy.

“So this is how all of our horseshoes are made too?” Silverspeed asked as Shoeshine nodded as she prepared a large tub of water.

“It’s how I make them at least. Every farrier has different ways of doing them. I prefer to melt down my metals and pour them into various molds of hooves I own. Filly, colt, mare, stallion. Foals don’t usually get horseshoes so those are special orders I sometimes do. I install them everything. When was the last time you got yours replaced?”

“Uh three months ago?” Silverspeed guessed as Shoeshine gave her a look.

“Well, I can replace them for you. You’re supposed to do so every eight weeks. After we get the metal cooled off, I’ll give you my sales magazine and you can pick whatever you like. Since you’re a pegasus and a guard, I’d suggest something light for flying but strong enough for combat,” Shoeshine explained as Silverspeed nodded slowly. “Now come over here and I’ll show you how to take the sheet out properly without hurting yourself or anypony else.”

With a nod, Silverspeed joined her friend.

Author's Note:

There's why Shoeshine hates Mr. Cake. I don't see why it's a problem for her to dislike him, it's my story lol. I needed ponies for her to not like and he was the first one I thought of and I'm not changing it sooo.