• Published 22nd Jan 2024
  • 881 Views, 13 Comments

A World with One Demon - PoH



Before Kokushibo can experience true peace, he must overcome a final promise he made to his brother.

  • ...
2
 13
 881

Alabaster Empress

Kokushibo trekked the path he took every day to the farm. It was a clear and open path exposed to some of the most vibrant sunlight and clear skies. Despite this path taking longer than the more direct trail, he walks it to bask in a sun that did not destroy him in his first instant in this world. It was early morning as he crested the final hill and looked across the orchard. The farmhouse and barn stuck out amongst the rows of apple trees. It was oddly quiet for the morning as Redwood would normally already be out on the farm performing his morning chores.

Once he passed under the main gate, Kokushibo made his way over to the barn to begin his own daily chores. He ran through the list in his head as he started to work. He glanced out of the small window on the side of the barn towards the farmhouse. Silence, once again. He squinted all of his eyes and stood from the water trough he’d been filling. His hearing sharpened, listening for even the slightest peep from the Smith family. Only the lapping of water from the cows in front of him could be heard.

After exiting the barn, he ambled to the front door. As he approached, a chill ran down his spine and his shoulders tensed. Complete silence echoed from the house through the door. He placed his hand on the door’s knob to find it unlocked. At the same time, his off-hand lowered to behind the tsuba of his sword, breaking the seal. The door creaked open to a darkened, untouched living room, the only source of light coming through the front window. His eyes scanned across the room and saw no signs of life. He crept through the living room, not making a sound, his eyes piercing the darkness easily. He rounded through the kitchen and into the dining room. As quickly as the silence overtook him in worry, it left him with nothing but joy.

“SURPRISE!!!” The Smith family jumped from behind cupboards, cabinets, and the large dining table that occupied the center of the elongated dining room. Kokushibo quickly removed his hand from his sword and blinked in relief.

My senses have dulled… He thought to himself.

“Happy one year anniversary, Kokushibo!” Redwood exclaimed aloud. He was carrying a large cake adorned with decorative sprinkles and violet icing that matched the hue of his own attire. Despite his stoic expression, the Smiths could see the surprise in Kokushibo’s eyes. His lips fought to curl, but they did anyway into a soft smile. The Smiths found this contagious and smiled along with him.

“We got you a present!” Sweet called out with a colorfully wrapped box above her head. Her father chuckled and shook his head as he placed the cake onto the table.

“That was supposed to be for after cake.” Redwood tutted to his youngest. “But oh what the hay. Have at it, brother!”

“But-“

“No ‘buts,’ mister!” Redwood cut Kokushibo off. “It’d be more rude if you didn’t accept that there gift. Go on, then. Open that sucker up!”

Kokushibo felt his blood run warm for a second at that term of endearment. His hands took the present as he began to tear the wrapping from the flat box that contained his gift. Once revealed, his gift sent another pump of warm blood through his veins. A farm working hat made specially for sunny days on the farm when he would be moving hay bales or feeding the animals. Underneath the hat was a pair of high quality working gloves. And finally around the gloves was a leather utility belt.

“We were hoping that you’d be a bit more… long term.” Redwood explained bashfully. “Gala and Sweet weaved the hat, nice and tight. As for the gloves and belt, that was the boys n’ me. So, whaddaya think?”

“I…” That was all Kokushibo could muster in that moment. The gift in his hands became heavier almost. His mouth was caught open in a mixture of disbelief and gratitude. The warmth this family imprinted on him was spreading throughout his body. His fingers tingled lightly. “…thank you. All of you. I…really don’t know what to say. I’ve only ever received anything like this only…one other time.”

“You’re very welcome, Mr. Kokushibo.” Gala responded softly with a smile. He was surprised at this sentence as Gala took the longest to warm up to the intimidating demon. To hear her speak directly to him without a hint of distrust or malice was a breath of fresh air. On this one day, it was like Kokushibo could feel the weights on his mind lighten twofold despite the crushing weight that drearily remained.

“Now then,” Redwood exclaimed with a single dry clap of his hands. “Today is a no-work, all-play day! Kids, you make sure that there’s no shortage of fun for our new family member here while your mother and I whip him up the best lunch we can muster!”

“Yes sir!” The two boys, Bramley and Jam, stood straight and gave their dad a stern salute. They bolted out of the room towards the front door excitedly discussing what activities to do. Sweet took Kokushibo’s hand into hers and pulled him along.

“Come on, come on, Koki!” Sweet cooed his nickname she gave and solely addressed him by. “We gotta hurry to get started!” Kokushibo let himself be pulled along by the tiny girl. He showed her a wide and genuine smile as he passed through the front door.

Once back outside in the bright morning light, Bramley and Jam had stopped dead in their tracks, looking out towards the rising sun. Kokushibo felt Sweet let go of his hand as he followed their gaze. He shielded his eyes against the sun’s light and could see what looked like large birds approaching the farm.

“Daddy!” Jam called to the farmhouse. Redwood came bounding out of the house with Gala hot on his trail in response to the call from his son. The apparent birds grew in size to reveal that they were winged people in blackened armor towing a large carriage. They landed with a running stop on the dirt clearing in front of the Smith’s residence. The navy blue, indigo, and gold carriage’s door opened as a very young man stepped out and to the side of the door. He cleared his throat.

“Announcing the arrival of Princess Luna of Equestria, Princess of the Moon and Wardeness of the Night!” The young man exclaimed, kneeling with a bowed head. The Smiths and winged people drawing the carriage also quickly followed suit. Kokushibo bowed at his waist, knowing who was to exit the carriage. Princess Luna exited the carriage and stepped upon the farm’s dirt clearing. Kokushibo could feel the air of authority and how her presence alone could cover the clearing.

“Rise!” She ordered loudly. Everyone present followed the order. Kokushibo noticed she was adorned in the same armor and skirt as she did a year ago. The Princess approached Kokushibo, her face bearing the same indifference she had on the last time they interacted. “We’ve come for you, Mr. Kokushibo. Our sister has requested an audience with you at the Castle of the Two Sisters!” Her voice boomed across the orchard. Kokushibo responded, unfazed by her volume.

“It would be rude of me to decline.” Kokushibo flatly stated, his mood deflating at the idea of leaving the Smith’s anniversary festivities.

“It would be.” Princess Luna sharply responded. “Now, join Us in the carriage. We must depart while the sun is still rising.” She began walking back, her gaze drifting to the sun’s rising. Kokushibo noticed that, underneath her shimmering indigo and violet cape draped over her left arm, she was clenching her fist abnormally hard. Kokushibo thanked the Smiths for their birthday surprise and promised he’d return for the activities they had planned. After prying a teary eyed Sweet from his leg, he joined the Princess in the carriage. The winged people took flight and began their journey to the castle.

The ride to the castle began in silence. Kokushibo sat upright, examining the detailed craftsmanship of the carriage. Luna mirrored his rigidity, except her eyes and head were fixated on her guest. She broke the silence with a sudden question Kokushibo was not ready for.

“The symbols in your eyes,” she began, “what are their meaning?” Kokushibo quickly brought his attention to the Princess.

“They mean…nothing.” Kokushibo hesitantly stated. The well-experienced Princess could see right through it though, as if she herself had access to the Transparent World as well.

“Upper Rank One.” She bluntly said. Kokushibo flinched ever so slightly at her utterance of his rank, hiding his shock well. “We may not understand how We can interpret those symbols to words, but We can see that they hold some kind of meaning to you. Otherwise, those two eyes would look the same as your.. other ones. Now, We’ll ask again, but keep in mind that misleading or lying to a Princess, even by omission, while residing in Equestria is minimally punishable by imprisonment!” Kokushibo didn’t want to anger his host, the highest authority in all of Equestria, any more. He decided to tell the truth.

“Where I am from, there were many demons. Thousands. Among these demons were twelve particularly powerful demons. We were divided into two classes: upper and lower ranks or ‘moons.’” He glanced at her crescent-shaped clip, chuckling inwardly at the irony. “The upper ranks were far superior to the lower ranks; they were worlds apart. Each class consisted of demons ranked from six to one; six being the least powerful of that class, and one being the most powerful of the same class.” She slowly nodded her head in understanding.

“So out of thousands much like you,” she began presuming, “and with eleven others meant to be your peers, We are to believe that you are the most powerful of them all?” Kokushibo remembered a glimpse of his brother at this point. Kokushibo has fallen from grace in order to reach a new height in power. But no matter how much he augmented himself and climbed to different heights, he was no match for two beings. He hated being branded and bound to Muzan. He hated what he looked like. He hated what he had become.

“…That’s correct.”

“Impressive!” Princess Luna commended, giving her own leg a hearty pound with her fist, much to his lament. “Now, power comes with its reasons. You carry a sword and exude an otherworldly presence. Tell Us: what exactly are you fighting?”

“Demons fight…humans.”

“Ah, so they aren’t simply a prey item as you had summed up a year ago.”

“No…” Kokushibo quickly remembered his timely defeat. Once again, beaten by the humans who so feared him. “Far from it, actually. A small number of humans called ‘demon slayers’ hunted us the same way we hunted them. Except…no demon was defenseless….” He huffed a breath, feeling more and more disgust for himself as he described his world to her. “We were impartial when it came to devouring humans. Though, some upper ranks requested…preferences.”

“Demon slayers?” Luna jumped in. “Being hunted while also being a hunter would make for an interesting set of battles.” She said that more to herself than to Kokushibo. “These preferences.” She moved on to the next topic. “Would they request permission from you, being the strongest one?”

“No, there was one demon…stronger than us all. A truly evil man with no ambition short of destroying the demon slayers and seeking true immortality.” He said this freely, venturing into a conversation topic previously unthinkable. “He was known as the Demon King. But I…fear… to speak his name.” Luna guffawed regally in response.

“That much fear in a name is unheard of!” Luna couldn’t believe such a name could exist to not even be spoken. “Please, We are curious. The name?” Kokushibo knew he felt no presence of Muzan in the year he spent working the Smith’s farm. Not a single inkling had come over him suggesting that Muzan was there, listening. He lost the hunger for human flesh. He harbored no bloodlust for humanity. He walked in the sunlight. He hesitated, but he entered previously unexplored waters, expecting the worst.

“His name was…Muzan Kibutsuji.” He clenched his core, awaiting the curse to take hold and end his life once more. But nothing came. The curse was not present any longer. He truly felt no presence from Muzan. The weight upon his mind lifted further, and he felt a little bit more human.

“Huzzah!” Luna exclaimed, sitting up straighter. “No damage ever came from mentioning a name!” Kokushibo felt a new kind of joy in his heart. One that a person only feels when being trapped for hundreds of years to only be set free. His moment of joy melted away slowly at Luna’s sudden change in tone. “This Muzan. He is not a threat to Our kingdom, correct?” Her praise shifted to concern at the drop of a pin. Kokushibo thought for a few seconds, coming down quickly from the euphoria of his freedom and composing himself. The more he thought, the less he felt that Muzan could traverse the Plain of the Dead to Equestria. Kokushibo was allowed here due to the undying love and pity his brother felt for him. Although he couldn’t remember the conversation he had with his brother, he knew he was here through his brother’s doing. That conversation still felt like a dream to him. This further fueled his doubt that Muzan had someone like that in his own life.

“I doubt the possibility.” Kokushibo finally answered. “The means that brought me here are not completely clear to me now…but I have a feeling that he would not be granted the same chance as I.” He felt confident in his answer, some human instinct coming back to him with its utterance. “He would not be so fortunate…or blessed.” The warmth of the rising sun laid over him like a blanket would as he said this, feeling his brother’s presence once more.

“Well, Mr. Kokushibo, We hope you’re right for your sake.” Luna threw that last line in. Before Kokushibo could say anymore, she announced their arrival. “The castle.”

Kokushibo looked out the small window to see the rapidly approaching castle. The carriage pulled in close to one of the castle’s towers and remained afloat next to a balcony of one of them. Luna and Kokushibo disembarked their transport. With haste, Luna guided Kokushibo down spiral stairs and through the castle to the main hall he had traversed one year ago. Only this time, he was surprised to see something vastly different. Fifteen tall and heavily armored guards stood around the dais, all wielding halberds, each vigilant as an owl. None of them moved a muscle in response to his presence, but he could almost feel eyes piercing him from underneath the helms. Kokushibo was led to the front of the multi level dais. Luna ascended the steps of the dais and took her seat in the throne that matched her color palette. In the neighboring throne sat someone new who’s gaze fell on Kokushibo like a feather.

“Princess Celestia!” The same young man from before announced, mainly to Kokushibo. “Princess of the Sun, Wardeness of the Day, Scorcher of Evil, and Defender of Equestria!” He then knelt and bowed his head as before. The armored guards followed in suit and in unison with a heavy chunk. Before Kokushibo could bow, he examined Celestia for a moment.

A tall, pale-skinned woman sat with her hands folded upon her lap. She held a calming smile towards Kokushibo. Unlike Luna, Celestia wore a more feminine dress. The dress, flowing and having multiple layers, sparkled brilliantly in all hues with the sun’s rays that peeked through the windows high up the walls. Astonished, Kokushibo saw colors he’d never seen before within the layered fabric of the dominantly white dress. Golden, spiraled arm cuffs sat upon her upper arms. Her tiara had much greater extravagance than Luna’s dark and smaller counterpart. Solid gold and tall, the tiara was adorned with a single amethyst gemstone at its center, accented by smaller gems surrounding it. Her hair flowed out greatly and sailed constantly despite there being no wind; sporting a very bright, serene, mauvelous pink color. Her physique was less sturdy than that of Luna’s, but Kokushibo sensed that her power didn’t really come from her physical body. Rather, her power, similar to Luna’s, was something that he couldn’t quite see with his eyes. He bowed deeply at his waist in respect. Celestia waved her hand and all parties rose, despite no eyes being upon her. Kokushibo found this a bit haunting as he followed everyone in suit, rather than rising at the sound of her voice; her mere presence was as though being issued a silent command. He became very wary of her might.

“So, you are Our guest?” Celestia began. Her voice carried a lulling sound into Kokushibo’s consciousness. It reminded him of his brother. Contrary to Yoriichi, her volume did not falter and was comparable to her more stalwart sister. “Our sister had reported your presence many moons ago, yet no word of disturbance came to Our or Our sister’s attention.”

“My apologies, your highness.” Kokushibo said with posture and volume, trying in vain to not be overwhelmed by her regal voice. “It was rude of me to take lodging without your approval.” She put up her hand before Kokushibo could say more. He had more to say, yet he felt compelled to hold his tongue as she lowered her hand back to her lap.

“Every citizen pays their dues in Equestria.” Celestia stated bluntly, her tranquil smile never leaving her face. “After a year of…squatting, for lack of a better word, you will be given a purpose here. Is that understood?” Kokushibo gave a single nod of agreement. He felt his time on the Smith’s farm was good repayment for his uninvited arrival, but he decided against arguing with this high and powerful Princess. “Excellent. Tell Us, Kokushibo, how skilled are you with that blade?” She leaned forward and gestured a finger directed at Kokushibo’s sword. “You bear no armor and sport no banner, so We are curious of your adeptness with such a…unique weapon.” She turned over her hand with her palm to the sky. “Bring it to me.” Kokushibo approached the dais as the young announcer stopped him at the foot. Kokushibo handed him the weapon which was then brought to the Princess. She examined the scabbard, stubs, and handle curiously, making it a point that she had no intention of laying hands on any of it.

“I am…adequate, for whatever mission you have to assign me.” Kokushibo responded, to which Luna had let out a single but hearty “ha!”

“You misunderstand, Kokushibo.” Celestia responded, waving the announcer away as he quickly returned Kokushibo’s sword. “This is no mission, but a profession. A profession We implore you to accept.” Kokushibo had a good idea what she could be asking of him. However, his heart no longer craved combat or honing his skills. He hadn’t drawn his sword since that day he saved the Smiths. He knew his skill hadn’t degraded in the slightest, but he had become accustomed to the serenity and simplicity of farm life. For once in his life, he felt truly comfortable. But he was the guest, and this high noble and apparent ruler of the land he walked and worked was simply allowing him to stay. She had been observing him, but he never noticed. He confirmed at this point that she was no royal to be trifled with. Not wanting to press his luck and explore options with the Princess, he accepted her offer.

“I…accept.” Kokushibo responded, his body flowing with dejection at the potential loss of time with the Smiths.

“Excellent.” Celestia’s smile seemed to be more gentle at the sound of his answer as she stood from her throne. Her height surpassed Luna’s by six inches, yet she still didn’t match up to Kokushibo’s own height by around three inches. “We are curious as to what you will become while under Our roof. From here on, you are now under the responsibility of Our sister, Princess Luna. She is Our commander of troops and peacekeeper of Equestria. Orders from her are now above law to you. We pray you will follow them with diligence and without question.” She began to step down the dais and walked towards Kokushibo. Her guards followed closely behind her. Her gaze remained forward over his shoulder as she passed him. A chill ran down his spine, her power being more apparent as she passed, then fading as she continued her slow amble out the main doors of the hall into the intense morning sunlight. The doors slammed shut and echoed throughout the hall. All had departed except the Princess of the Moon and her new subordinate.

“Very well.” Luna cut the silence, almost sounding annoyed. “Let us begin.”

~

Kokushibo was led to a lower part of the castle. A large, subterranean yard sprawled in what looked to be a natural cave. The ground, however, was not natural. It was perfectly flat with patches of grass artificially planted into the flat floor. Equipment and training weapons dotted the walls of the cave, ready to be used by veterans and recruits alike. The center of the yard was solid concrete adorned with magical runes carved into it. One of the cave walls had a large opening that was a part of the cliff that faced from the back of the castle. Fog rolled around the opening, obscuring the view into and out of the yard. Off the edge, the cliff also faded into the fog. Princess Luna waited at the large yard’s center for the approaching Kokushibo. Next to her stood the guard captain from one year ago.

“Kokushibo, We’re sure you have met Captain Arrowhead, now Champion of the Sun.” Luna introduced the captain. Arrowhead, armored in the same armor when they first met, smiled at Kokushibo, who was unfazed by the captain’s complacent grin. The pauldron that once held a simple sun design was now replaced with an intricate, textured, and blazing sun. It shone in the same colors as Celestia’s dress, except far less extravagant.

“We have met briefly, yes.” Kokushibo replied flatly, recalling their first meeting being very hostile and tense. However, Kokushibo knew the captain was merely doing his job, so he made sure to keep his own feelings in check, especially in front of the Princess.

“Good.” Luna gave her hands a single clap. “Now that we are all acquainted, We’d like to see what you are capable of and to see if you are as skilled as you portray yourself.”

Portray myself…? He thought, wondering what image his demeanor had lain onto the Princess’ eyes.

“Proceed to your starting positions!” Luna announced, her voice bouncing off the walls of the surprisingly well-lit cave. Kokushibo saw the captain amble to a point in the yard. He moved himself opposite of the captain, some 25 yards away. “This will be a friendly bout. Three clean strikes. After each one, you will separate.” The captain drew his sword from his own waist, and what followed shocked Kokushibo. A decorated helm materialized from an emerald light onto the head of the captain, covering most of his face. In the same bright light, a medium sized shield appeared on his left arm. He crossed his sword over his chest and bowed from his waist. Kokushibo had never seen magic like this before. It was comparable in his mind to a blood demon art. Before he could fully comprehend what he had seen, Luna’s thundering voice shook him from his trance. “It is customary in a bout to bow, Mr. Kokushibo!” Kokushibo shook himself from his trance and bowed before raising himself and drawing his own sword. Luna squinted her eyes in disbelief for a moment realizing the sword was laden with eyes that matched Kokushibo’s unmarked ones. Blackened veins sprawled along the length of the maroon blade. It was as exotic as she’d thought. “Are you both ready?”

“Ready, your majesty.” Arrowhead confidently replied, readying his sword and shield. Kokushibo took a moment to examine the captain. His stance was strong yet his body was relaxed. Kokushibo saw no weakness or fear. He was confident and controlled.

He’s… just like that demon slayer…with the scars…

“I am…ready.” Kokushibo replied calmly.

“Begin!” Luna thundered once more.

Captain Arrowhead commenced his attack in an instant. He closed the distance in the blink of an eye. Kokushibo was surprised by such immense speed despite the heavy-looking armor. So fast…but he still needs to hit me. Kokushibo had the Transparent World, giving him a valuable edge on both defense and offense. Arrowhead made an experimental overhanded slash at Kokushibo’s torso, to which the latter dodged with ease. Arrowhead continued pressing his attack, attempting combinations of strikes at different levels and speeds, narrowly missing on most occasions. Kokushibo noticed the attacks inch closer and closer, as though the captain were climbing in speed. This time, Arrowhead rushed Kokushibo head-on. He saw the blood and adrenaline in Arrowhead’s body rush to his sword arm, ready to begin a slash. Watching the arm closely and preparing to dodge, Kokushibo noticed a slight glimmer off to his own right. He changed the direction of his attention, quickly realizing the sword arm was a ruse. Kokushibo brought his own sword up in an instant to block the incoming shield bash, his arms being quicker than moving his whole body. A loud clang echoed, followed by bright amber sparks. Kokushibo hopped back and slid with great momentum, creating distance between the two once again.

“What’s wrong?” Arrowhead taunted. “Can’t swing your sword? You better not be going easy on me.” He shot another smug grin at Kokushibo. At this point, Kokushibo was bordering on impressed.

Impressive…such exuberant confidence. And not an ounce misplaced…

“I apologize…” Kokushibo lamented openly. “It was rude of me to not issue an attack…please, I’ll come to you.” He brought his blade to his side, ready to begin his attack. He drew in a slow, ghostly breath. Arrowhead readied loosely to defend from the oncoming attack. “Moon Breathing, Sixth Form.” Kokushibo exploded forward, becoming completely invisible for a little more than a moment. Arrowhead strengthened his shield arm. “Perpetual Night, Lonely Moon - Incessant.” His sword was a blur as each slash unleashed multitudes of bright yellow and rotating crescent blades forward. As Kokushibo continued his attack, he saw no change in the captain’s expression. The confidence remained as the overwhelming blades rapidly approached him. He raised his shield as jets of emerald magic burst out from the edges of the shield, effectively increasing the surface area of his already seemingly impenetrable defense. The blades crashed into the shield and the magic wall he produced, each blade fizzling into a sickly red smoke and disappearing. Kokushibo gripped the handle of his sword and widened his eyes in frustration, trying not to exhibit this feeling on his face.

“What an interesting ability!” The captain said from behind the shield. The magic dissipated and he began to approach Kokushibo. “Now, let’s see more!” His speed was now blinding, Kokushibo quickly flicked his eyes to his left in surprise, but the shield had already begun to connect with his cheek. The force behind it was crushing as Kokushibo had no choice but to accept this quick and powerful attack. A loud bang could be heard as Kokushibo flew back on his heels, involuntarily separating himself from the captain. His cheek had received a large gash, but it quickly closed as though he hadn’t even been hit.

“Hit!” Luna exclaimed. “For Captain Arrowhead!”

Kokushibo drew in another breath, his veins becoming visible around the edges of his face. “Fourth Form: Loathsome Moon, Shackles.” He swings his sword in a broad X form. The crescent blades crossing each other’s paths and almost interlocking with each other but only narrowly missing. Arrowhead warded many of the blades off with his shield as the rest continued forward and eventually dissipated. Arrowhead looked unimpressed. “Second Form: Pearl Flower Moongazing!” Kokushibo made three arching slashes, the moons reflecting his now frustrated psyche by spinning faster and more erratically. Under normal conditions, Kokushibo preferred if the blades scattered to increase the chance of hitting a target. However, with one target with an excellent defense is just a waste and he knew it. He quickly retreated, his eyes locked on the shielding captain, still teeming with confidence.

What impressive skills…perhaps I shouldn’t show too much…restraint..

Kokushibo brought his sword up, as though readying it in front of him, the eyes of the sword attempting to pierce the captain’s own unwavering eyes. In an instant, the sword grew into an enormous odachi, while more blades protruded unnaturally from the sword’s blade and mune. The rapid growth of flesh forced blood to drip from the blade’s seams, pouring onto the floor at his feet. Arrowhead was surprisingly repulsed, as his face contorted into a cringe.

“That sword.” Arrowhead called out, curious, “Is it its own entity?” Kokushibo brought the sword to his right side, wielding the giant sword with one hand.

“It is.. an extension of myself.” Kokushibo responded calmly. “And not just in the metaphorical aspect, as it is literally made from my flesh.” Arrowhead stood firm, now a bit more cautious. Kokushibo took the sword into both hands, readying it. The breaths he drew in now had a small bellow to them, Arrowhead tensing slightly at the sound. He could feel his armor and clothing being slightly drawn to Kokushibo like a vortex pulling in air. “Seventh Form: Mirror of Misfortune, Moonlit!” He unleashed a singular slash that covered and reached across a large swath of the area in front of him. Crescent blades crashed down, following five straight slashes that quickly overwhelmed the captain. He opted to dodge the straight slashes, but this is what Kokushibo had hoped for. The majority of the crescent blades came down in between the straight slashes. Arrowhead attempted to block as many as he could, but one blade found its mark, striking his side.

“Hit!” Luna announced. “Kokushibo!”

Captain Arrowhead looked on in surprise, realizing the crescent moons changed from its shining yellow to a dull aqua. The blades also remained on the field significantly longer, embedded into the floor and distant walls behind himself. He readied a charge but noticed Kokushibo was not in his spot. Rather, a wave of violet ebbed to his right. Before he could avoid the attack, Kokushibo’s enormous blade struck true, cutting a sizable gash into Arrowhead’s leg armor. Kokushibo created distance once again in the blink of an eye.

“Hit! Kokushibo!” Luna announced once again. “Final strike for Kokushibo!”

Kokushibo repressed the urge to aggravate the captain, as he was sure Luna had been watching him closely to not only judge his combat skills, but also his character on the field of battle while having the upper hand. Respect came naturally to him, especially when his opponent is on par or stronger than himself. Arrowhead focused a large amount of mana to his legs. Kokushibo didn’t need the Transparent World to see this. And it was at that moment that Kokushibo noticed that the magic of this world was nigh undetectable with the Transparent World. But he could still see the emerald fog that gathered at the ankles and calves of his opponent. He couldn’t react as he felt Arrowhead’s sword already being thrust into his shoulder.

He’s faster than before!..

Kokushibo knew this would surely count as a hit and began his retreat. He didn’t hear Luna call it out with what happened next. With Kokushibo’s feet planted for less than a moment after his retreat, Arrowhead rushed with immeasurable speed once again, appearing in front of Kokushibo. He attempted another thrust now aimed for the edge of Kokushibo’s abdomen. Kokushibo warded off the attack with a swing of his own blade. Kokushibo is now on the back foot, this process repeating multiple times. Luna saw flashes of emerald and amber as Arrowhead continued his assault and Kokushibo looked for a window to turn the tide. Kokushibo didn’t see his backpedaling as a direct retreat, but rather a prod. He learned Arrowhead’s movements quickly as Arrowhead intended to keep the space close so that Kokushibo could not use the full potential of his sword. Despite Arrowhead’s deceptive nature and uncanny ability to control his dispersion of energy, Kokushibo began to feel patterns and rhythms in Arrowhead’s repertoire.

He found it. Kokushibo turned the table and forced Arrowhead’s back to be directly in front of him with a flick of his sword. He was mid step and airborne. There was no escape. Kokushibo brought his sword down with quickness and precision, slashing Arrowhead’s backplate. A flash of lime and neon spread from the slash all along the surface of Arrowhead’s body, his expression unchanged. It was then, Kokushibo felt a sharp pain run from the back of his left shoulder to his right waist. Kokushibo turned to see Arrowhead actually behind him, his sword slightly bloodied from the slash he just delivered to Kokushibo’s back.

“Two hits!” Luna called out. “Captain Arrowhead is victorious!”

I…lost? But my blow was struck…?

Kokushibo turned to see that he had slashed what looked like a jade statue that had begun to crumble into a dispersing and glimmering green dust. He blinked in surprise turning back to the real Captain Arrowhead who had just sheathed his sword. The smirk on Arrowhead’s face seemed more genuine now. Kokushibo felt the same frustration from earlier welling up inside. The blades jutting from his sword receded as Kokushibo sheathed his own blade.

“Excellent bout, Mr. Kokushibo!” The haughty captain exclaimed. He stuck his open hand out to Kokushibo, which the latter looked at with a blank side eye. The welling up frustration dissipated as quickly as it rose as the captain accepted victory with grace and respect. Kokushibo turned his body to face the captain and took his hand in his own, shaking it firmly. The two released their grips and stepped to the Princess. Arrowhead took his place behind the Princess to her left as Kokushibo stopped in front of her.

“Well fought, Kokushibo.” Princess Luna praised in a sturdy tone. “You are well beyond ‘adequate,’ as you describe yourself.”

“Thank you, Princess.” He gave a slight bow and raised himself. “But Captain Arrowhead bested me.” Arrowhead laughed deeply.

“Please, Mr. Kokushibo!” Arrowhead joked, now chuckling at Kokushibo’s words. “No knight under my or anyone’s command has ever gotten anywhere near as close to beating me as you have. And that regenerative ability! You must teach me how you do it.” The captain’s sudden friendly attitude put Kokushibo even more off than he was before the bout had begun. Kokushibo remained on guard, as he feared the captain’s misleading combat style would reflect onto his strategy with social interactions.

“It’s not something that can be taught, fortunately.” Kokushibo replied with slight relief. “It’s a… curse for those who have hatred, inferiority, or fear in their heart. A…horrible curse, handed to me by someone truly evil.”

“It was that man.” Luna spoke suddenly and softly. “Muzan, was it?” He was surprised that Luna had remembered his name. He made a short, confirming hum in his throat. “Well, you will use this ‘curse’ and your great strength for the greater good of Equestria. Do you agree?”

“I owe many debts.” Kokushibo shifted in place. “To the Smith family and to you and your sister. I intend to pay them all back in full.”

Not to mention the debt to my brother…

Luna enjoyed Kokushibo’s simplicity and direct way of speaking. Within herself, she knew that what Kokushibo said to her was as true as the sun and moon are to rise and set. She felt something inside resonate with Kokushibo. Not strength or power, but something much more meaningful. Watching Kokushibo for the better part of a year, Luna couldn’t help but see real desire and drive to give back what he’s taken. Not just from here, but whatever blighted life he may have had that only leaves her to speculate. He carried an over encumbering weight on his shoulders that she could see in his eyes; his human eyes, which became more apparent with each passing conversation.

“Excellent.” Luna said with another single clap of her hands. “Now then, while the sun is still low in its rise, come with Us.” She waved Kokushibo to follow her, which he quickly did. “Captain, return to Our sister’s side.”

“Yes, Princess.” Arrowhead snapped his heels together quickly and followed Luna and Kokushibo out the door and they went their separate ways. Luna looked over her shoulder, looking to see if the captain was out of earshot.

“We didn’t want to say this in front of the captain.” Luna said as low as she could to Kokushibo who followed closely behind her on her side. “But We were more than impressed with your performance in the bout. You are well beyond the skill and strength of Our candidates for Champion of the Moon.”

“I wished to ask you about that title, Princess.” Kokushibo was curious, and wondered how many more titles could exist in the kingdom.

“The title of Champion,” Luna began as she continued her speed walk through the corridors, “is the highest title that can be bestowed onto a soldier of Equestria. As there must be a Prince or Princess of the Sun and Moon, there may only be two Champions actively servicing the Crowns at any one time. While it isn’t necessary to have a Champion, they serve their respective Crown by being the voice of the Crown when they aren’t present, act as military envoys to other governments, as well as assigned menial duties when they are not immediately needed. They carry great political weight as diplomats and even greater weight as emissaries of war. Although, We haven’t experienced war for several years.” Kokushibo nodded in understanding.

They briskly moved through the castle together once again like a year ago. It was soon that the pair arrived at a large ornamented double-door. Lined with silver, midnight blue, and sparkling azure inlays, the door was dominantly colored a deep indigo with a large sky blue crescent moon being bifurcated by the two doors. Two massive guards in blackened armor made of pure magic stood vigilantly at either side of the door. Luna turned to the massive doors and didn’t stop her pace as the doors swung open. The room they entered together was a rotunda with a beautiful, sparkling mural of the night sky adorning the dome that shifted with life and movement. Bookshelves with countless books lined one side of the room while cabinets filled with trinkets, weapons, and artifacts lined the opposing side. Towards the back was a large desk with parchments and scrolls scattered across the desk. Luna made her way to the opposite side and took a seat as Kokushibo stopped to stand in front of it.

“Please excuse Our untidiness.” Luna scooted papers left and right as she seemed to search for something. She began pulling drawers, mumbling to herself about how she’ll need to take time to reorganize her desk. After a couple seconds of rifling, Luna pulled a sealed scroll from one of her lower drawers. “Here!” She exclaimed, sitting back up. She held the scroll out to Kokushibo who promptly took it. He examined the seal and noted the unique wax moon surrounded by complex designs. “A simple assignment. All information needed will be in that scroll. When you’ve completed your assignment, report to Scribe Lamplight or one of his apprentices west of the entrance courtyard here in the castle. Have you any questions?”

“No, Your Highness.”

“Excellent. From now on, you shall receive assignments in the form of these scrolls no matter where you are within or outside of Equestria. Failure to complete the assignment within the allotted time will result in disciplinary action. If there are no questions still, you may go.” Luna gave a reassuring smirk as though she knew she wouldn’t have to worry about his punctuality. She returned her attention to the mess that cluttered her desk. Kokushibo gave a quick bow and left through the door they had entered from.

Once in the large hallway, the large double doors shut themselves and Kokushibo broke the seal on his scroll. It puffed into a very small, glittering azure smoke. A pleasantly sweet smell crept into his nostrils. He recognized it as his favorite dessert: anko buns. He unrolled the scroll and read its contents. It briefly explained that a group of an estimated 40 bandits have occupied farmland north of the Castle of Two Sisters. He is tasked to support the neutralization of the threat with minimal casualties to civilians and the bandits. He had six hours to report to the head guard. He rolled up the scroll once again and slipped it into his nagagi. With a quick trip to the cartographer, he received a map of the route to the northern farmlands. Afterwards, he set out to his destination with intent to return to the Smiths within the day so that their celebration was not wasted.

~

Kokushibo arrived on the outskirts of the small farming village, the sun now at its zenith. He slowed his pace, becoming more wary of his surroundings; his senses sharpened. Fields sprawled out through a great valley, taking up more space than the center of the village itself. The path he walked was sunken in, his upper torso able to peek over the mound on either side of the path that led to the crop covered fields. The light spring breeze caressing and surrounded him. The whistling wind nearly fooled his ears as his head cocked to its side, the sound being replaced by a whistling arrow that nearly hit its mark. Kokushibo readied himself for an ambush. To his relief, he heard a gruff voice from the raised dirt defilade.

“Hold your shots!” The voice sounded out. Kokushibo relaxed slightly once the source of the voice made himself known. He showed himself, revealing himself from the crops to be a royal guard. His eyes flashed the whites for a moment at the sight of Kokushibo’s appearance. “The village is off limits! It’s overrun by bandits. Turn around now or we will arrest you!” Kokushibo reached into his nagagi and pulled the scroll from it, raising it to the guard.

“I have orders from the Princess.” Kokushibo called out. “I’m here to…assist.” He stuffed the scroll back into its hiding place. The royal guard turned over his shoulder, as though checking for signs of compromise of his position, then returned his attention to Kokushibo.

“Climb up here quickly.” The guard ordered. “There’s several of us here but a few are injured.” Kokushibo complied and approached the raised ground.

He leapt up in a single bound, keeping his head below the tops of the tall growing crops. He followed the guard through the brush as another guard, presumably the one who almost struck him with an arrow as she wielded a bow and had a quiver strapped to her back, followed closely as well. They came to a very small clearing in
the crops where other guards had made camp. A few laid on the ground, bandaged and wounded. The remaining guards either kept watch out for any straggling bandits or were huddled around a crude map in the center of the clearing, planning an attack on the village. The guards, one by one, laid eyes on Kokushibo with mixed reactions ranging from confusion to disgust. He beared no mind, now almost completely used to the reactions.

“Hey, sergeant!” One watch guard said in a low tone. He seemed to direct this to the guard who escorted Kokushibo here since he was the one who replied.

“Yes, corporal?” The sergeant guard replied.

“When are the reinforcements coming in?” The corporal asked, returning his attention to the village only some 200 yards away. The sergeant glanced at Kokushibo with a twist in his brow and returned his attention to the corporal.

“It would seem as though the Princesses have sent us…him.” The sergeant laced a tone of defeat in the final word as most eyes were back on Kokushibo. He didn’t budge at how the sergeant sounded or what the corporal had to say next.

“One man?!” He almost raised his voice. “We waited all night and morning for the Princesses to send naught one man?” Kokushibo continued to stand hunched over in silence, his expression unchanging. “We need at least a platoon to make any kind of progress, sergeant, and you know that! That’s what all of this planning rode on! We can’t take on what’s in there with a dozen men plus one!” The sergeant closed the distance with the corporal to converse in a lower volume, reminding him of the importance of rank structure and respecting his superiors before explaining the situation to him.

Kokushibo took it upon himself to approach the guards gathered in the center as they parted warily, allowing Kokushibo to see the makeshift “plans” that were drawn on a large piece of parchment. Ignoring the plans themselves, Kokushibo only took mental note of the village’s layout. Multiple small buildings and homes dotted between larger warehouses and businesses. The plans showed where the higher concentration of bandits resided, that being in the local tavern and the larger center square. He turned to the sergeant and corporal who were still conversing about the means of reinforcement. Kokushibo moved to them and interrupted their conversation.

“Excuse me…for interrupting.” Kokushibo interjected. “What about the people living in the village? Are they still in their homes?”

“I don’t think so.” The sergeant answered. “They evacuated the minutes following the initial attack with our help. They ran to the next village downstream. There should only be bandits there in the village. Why?” The sergeant blinked and Kokushibo was gone. He shook his head in shock and looked around. The other guards also scanned their surroundings, unsure how the man moved with such quickness and stealth.

Kokushibo moved through the crop field in a moment, using a small shed as cover for his tall frame. He peered around the corner, looking down a stone path between some of the houses. The roads were barren and quiet. He moved quickly to the sidewalk where he lurked onward, keeping an eye on the many darkened and broken windows and doors for any kind of sudden movement. He saw and heard nothing as he made his way to the area of town where the tavern resided. As he got to the corner that turned to the square where the tavern was, he could hear more and more hooting and hollering from the bandits. Loud crashes and breaking glass became mixed in as he peered around the corner. Many unkempt and raggedy bandits were vandalizing private and public property in the town square. They were stealing the contents of personal, secure lockboxes and chests that they would break open with their bludgeons and axes. Money, heirlooms, and petty riches were being stuffed in pockets and sacks. Kokushibo squinted, looking past the ruckus to the tavern known as the Hopping Maiden. The windows showed many bandits inside, brawling and horseplaying. One bandit was thrown through a window from within.

Kokushibo chose that the rooftops would be his best method of approach. Combined with his speed and the ongoing disorder of the square, he was more than confident that none of the bandits would notice his approach. He moved quickly, scaling the business across the road onto its rooftop. The sound of his steps went unnoticed as expected; masked by the town square’s activity. He leapt across the way onto the roof of the tavern. Searching for a covert opening, he found a back window on the second floor of the establishment. Looking in, it seemed to be a small office that nobody occupied. He slid the window open and made his way inside, silent as the grave.

On the other side of the closed door, he could hear the sounds of boundless enjoyment. Opening the door, he was presented with the state of the tavern. To say these bandits left it in a state of disrepair would be gross understatement. Vaulting the railing, he landed on the ground floor with a foreign thump. Many bandits immediately noticed his presence and stopped their commotion. Many more followed in suit, their gnarled and scarred visages now focused on their uninvited guest. They drew their weapons in near unison, now pointing them in his direction. The tavern grew silent, all eyes on Kokushibo. He decided to speak first.

“Your leader,” Kokushibo broke the tense silence, “where is he?”

“Right ‘ere!” A horrid sounding voice thundered from behind the group of heavily armed bandits. They turned around and parted from the middle as a large and burly woman stepped heavily between the bandits, her height passing Kokushibo’s by about two feet. Her hands were large, as she placed a hand on the occasional bandit’s head, forcefully pushing them out of the way for not parting quickly enough. Her grungy, black hair was unkempt and filthy. She wore thick, unmatching armor of leather and steel. A massive zweihander clung to her back. It was at this moment that the scent from her breath reached Kokushibo from her call of attendance. It smelled of fish oil and aged beer. “What’s this then?” She stopped only feet away from Kokushibo. “Yer not one of ours.” She sniffed in his direction. “Too clean.”

“You’re trespassing.” Kokushibo stated with little inflection. “Surrender now and perhaps you will be… punished lightly.” He invisibly placed his left hand behind his tsuba, his thumb breaking the habaki. As expected, the burly woman laughed in Kokushibo’s face. The remaining bandits joined in. The laughs grew and grew as Kokushibo squinted, watching a quick rush of blood to her arms. In an instant, Kokushibo raised his sword to the side of his head, the zweihander connecting solidly and emitting a resounding clang throughout the tavern. The mob of bandits silencing themselves at the sound and sight. They had looks of shock strewn about them, obviously baffled at Kokushibo’s inhuman speed and unyielding strength despite his relatively smaller stature and build. He did not move or break eye contact with the bandit leader that now had her sword digging into the strong section of his own.

“Ooh yer a tough lil sprout, ain’tcha?” She hissed, her breath being a bigger assault on Kokushibo than her sword. “Quick too.” She brought her sword back to her shoulder where it rested. “What a nasty lil toothpick you got there.” She pointed a beefy finger at Kokushibo’s sword. “All them eyes are quite pretty.” Kokushibo brought his own sword down to his dominant side, the eyes glazing in each direction, surveying his environment and blind spots.

“I will not ask again…” Kokushibo spoke softly, readying his sword, “surrender now…or prepare for dire consequences.” The burly woman was about to fall into another guffaw when she looked closely into Kokushibo’s eyes. A killing intent bored into her soul, and Kokushibo’s cruelty filled the empty space of the room. Nearly all bandits froze at this new energy. The evil laced in it trumped all of theirs as each bandit nearly crumpled at the feeling. The bandit leader could feel her muscles cramp and tense into tough planks of wood, unable to move for a crucial moment. Just before the first cowardly bandit could flee, Kokushibo spoke only once more. “Very well, then.”

A flash of crimson and violet passed through the bandit leader, as Kokushibo was now behind her, assuming the same relaxed stance as when he readied himself. The leader stood there, unsure of what happened or where her opponent went. A sore pain passed over her from her shoulder in a straight line to her waist. It burned and cramped immensely, the pain becoming unbearable. She couldn’t speak, her lungs filling with blood as it seeped along the cut Kokushibo made, bifurcating her in a monk’s robe cut. She fell to her knees, dropping her enormous sword with a clang, her body falling apart in two. Her dying corpse lay there on the floor of the tavern for all bandits to see. Kokushibo’s eyes looked to the crowd, his gaze digging into their psyches. One by one, in increasing frequency, the bandits dropped their weapons and wordlessly fell to their knees in surrender. With no guidance or protection, they felt no other choice but to yield silently. Kokushibo had them stand and exit the tavern, and openly paraded their surrender into the hectic square that quickly calmed down at the sight of the surrendering and wordless gaggle of bandits.

The square full of bandits saw the perpetrator of the apparent surrender of half their forces and the slaying of their leader. Kokushibo, sword still drawn, looked amongst the rowdy miscreants. He offered them the same ultimatum: surrender or death. The pleading eyes and solemn headshakes that the already surrendered bandits made to their unshackled counterparts told them everything they needed. Few dropped their weapons and bolted amongst the alleyways and backstreets while the majority complied and surrendered at the knowledge of the demise of their leader.

It was then that Kokushibo saw the bandits who at one point fled now return to the square at sword point by the royal guards he had been with in the fields. The guards moved in and began restraining each of the bandits, some being taken aside and interrogated. Kokushibo noticed that there were more guards than he saw in the small opening he was at earlier so he could only assume that there were more guards in scattered groups throughout the field. He returned his sword to his sheath as more bandits were being hauled off to an outskirts location to be carted off to various dungeons across Equestria after trial. Noticing that the guards had the situation under control, Kokushibo decided it best to depart once he had talked to the sergeant from earlier. It wasn’t long before he found the sergeant speaking to another guard of equal rank across the square. The other guard took off in another direction while the sergeant remained put for the approaching Kokushibo.

“Well, I’ll be darned in Celestia’s sun. You did it.” The sergeant commended Kokushibo, who remained stoic. “I don’t know how you did it, but we got all the bandits rounded up. I also heard what happened to their chief.”

“Yes,” Kokushibo confirmed solemnly, “unfortunately…she would not surrender.” The sergeant chuckled and patted Kokushibo’s arm.

“Don’t dwell on it, soldier.” The sergeant responded heartily. “The Princesses had a bounty on her head for her to be brought in dead or alive, but everyone already knew how that would end if she was brought in at all. So no harm done! I’ll make sure to draw it up to the Princesses so you get the credit and the reward for the bounty. But anyways, thank you once again for this. I’m sure the Princesses will be pleased.” Kokushibo only gave a small affirming nod before turning and leaving the town.

As he exited the village, its villagers began making their way back into their homes. Some paid him no mind as they were cleaning up the mess left at their homes while others tracked Kokushibo with their eyes, unsure about the visage of their supposed hero. The expressionless, pale face did not sing songs of a hero to them. They were thankful, yet unconvinced. Needless to say, Kokushibo passed these looks, unfazed. He left the village as he entered: in silence. As the sun neared the horizon and the sky began to shift into a vermillion hue, Kokushibo knew the day would come to its end soon. He hurried his pace back to the castle to give his report and return to the Smiths before the day would be gone.

~

The night proved to be a well-spent replacement of the day’s intended activities. Kokushibo got to try the cake the Smiths made for him, played a few games with the kids, and ended up on the wraparound porch. He sat in a simple deck chair, staring off into the open yard that quickly turned into the enormous orchard. He contemplated the day. So much had occurred in such a small amount of time. He had woken up as a simple farmer and by midday he had returned to a life of combat. The thrill of combat was no longer there. A desire to become stronger was now completely absent. It came to the point that he may even feel detestment of combat. If not for the Smiths, he would feel as lost as he did before he met them. The silence grew louder and louder until a familiar deep voice broke through.

“You alright, son?” Redwood approached, two bottles with a detailed apple labeled on each one were between his fingers. He extended the bottles to Kokushibo who looked at them blankly for a moment before taking one into his hand. Redwood used an opener to pop open the homemade beverage and sat down in a chair next to Kokushibo. He handed Kokishibo the opener, to which he was unsure what to do. “You seem a little distracted.”

“I’m… not sure.” Kokushibo responded, examining the opener in his hand. After fiddling with it for a couple of seconds, he understood what to do and opened the bottle himself. He took a small sip, the drink being stronger than he’d expected. “I suppose I’m…disappointed.” He placed the bottle onto the small lawn table between himself and Redwood.

“Oh? What about?” Redwood shifted in his seat nervously as his thoughts ran back to the celebration earlier and wondered if it was adequate.

“I had spent the better part of a century…” Kokushibo began softly, “honing my skills; getting stronger. In the process…I think I lost something.” Kokushibo thought about his words, his mouth getting used to the strong drink offered to him. “Well, I lost many things. And since restarting my life here with your wonderful family, I feel as though I’ve picked up…fragments of who I used to be. But because I owe a debt to the princesses, I fear I may lose myself again…” He crooked his neck slightly, unsure if he had shared too much. The burly farmer sat back in his chair quietly, making sure Kokushibo had finished expressing his thoughts.

“Well, think about it like this:” Redwood said, “doing your civic duty, protecting Equestria, contributes to something more than yourself, right?” Kokushibo’s eyes looked over to Redwood, intent on hearing what he had to say. “I’ve an example, if you don’t believe a humble farmer. Decades ago, my grandpappy served in the Royal Army during King Sombra’s Uprising. The Crystal Empire to the north was under his tyranny and my grandpappy answered Equestria’s call to serve. He saw and did many great and terrible things. He killed, he saw his closest friends die next to him, he saw an entire city on fire.” Redwood paused at the thought, shuddering and taking another sip of his beverage before continuing. “It was a horrible war that cost the lives of many people. But my grandpappy, after the war, came back to us. He smiled every day and seemed unfazed by the horrors of war. They haunted him still to his dying days, despite the cheery face he put on. Why do you think that was, Kokushibo?” Kokushibo put two and two together.

“His family…”

“Family, Kokushibo.” Redwood repeated with fervor in his voice. “From what I’ve been able to gather about your past life, your life was lacking in that part. Am I right?” Kokushibo’s eyes drifted off slowly away from Redwood and to the orchard, not confirming or denying what he suggested. “You’ve been here a year. Up to you, but I’d like to hear about your family.” He sat back in his chair and took another swig of his drink.

Kokushibo’s eyes vigilantly remained on the orchard, watching the leaves sway back and forth. His mind was transported back to his home estate. He sat before his faceless father, looking over his shoulder at the waving branches and leaves behind him out the window. The muffled sounds of words came from his mouth, carrying no meaning or importance. He glanced over to his younger brother who sat next to him, his face drawn with the most accurate brush in full detail. Although the words his father said were unintelligible, Kokushibo remembers this interaction. He was scolding Kokushibo for allowing Yoriichi to distract him from his studies and training. Both boys heard what was being said, but Kokushibo didn’t listen. As though on cue, both boys responded with a “yes, sir” when the stern grumbling ceased. Many moments passed before him, all of them with Yoriichi with such clarity that it was as though he was actually there. Even the final moment they shared together passed. Yoriichi’s lament is clear on his face, tears running down in silent torrents. Every moment that withstood the test of time and demonization, involved his only brother.

“I…did have a family.” Kokushibo began as Redwood’s attention shifted from his drink to the man sitting next to him. “A brother…Yoriichi. He was…beyond words. Loving, empathetic, strong, kind to all. He was everything I wasn’t.” Redwood could tell from the solemn look on Kokushibo’s face that his brother was no longer living.

You weren’t strong?” Redwood scoffed, reminiscing about their first meeting. He wanted Kokushibo to lead the conversation to keep things in his comfort zone. “I’m not so sure about the other things, but that…kinda hard to believe.

“I paled in comparison to my brother. He was…flawless, regarding his strength. For lack of a better word.”

“You talk like he’s some sort of legend. Was he well known?”

“Ah.” Kokushibo scoffed. “Humble, too.” Kokushibo’s lips lightly curled into an invisible smirk that quickly faded. “He seeked no glory, reputation, or thrill. In fact, he hated the violence. Yet infallibly and in silence, he served humanity from the shadows, nameless. He fought a war with no end in sight for no reason other than it was good.” Kokushibo gripped the bottle in his hand to the point a small crack appeared. “He lived to slay evil…and evil is all that kept me afloat.” He relaxed his grip with a sigh.

“Sounds like you two are apples and oranges.” Redwood replied with a click from his mouth. “What is it that draws you to him then?”

“Long ago, it was hate. Hate drove me to him to gain strength and surpass him. Not kill him, but just surpass him. But I was not…gifted with such fortune.”

“You say that as a matter of fact. How do you know you hadn’t passed him?” Kokushibo winced at that, his fingers reached up and touching his throat where Yoriichi “failed” to decapitate him in their final meeting.

“Because… he bested me himself.” Kokushibo felt a knot in his throat. “As an elderly, frail man of 80 years, he casted away my strength gained in the same amount of time in nothing but a moment…yet he could not kill me. After that moment…he died.” Redwood tensed his shoulders at that.

“So you…you know..?” Redwood approached the topic carefully.

“He died of old age.” Kokushibo interrupted, Redwood relaxing slightly at the sudden interruption. After he had relaxed, he furrowed his brow in confusion at the circumstances of his death. His furrow disappeared as Kokushibo explained. “There, in that field after that last attack, he died. Standing on his own two feet. Never once losing to a demon.” There was a minute of silence between them. The light breeze made it deafening, Redwood being unsure of what to say next other than what he said.

“I’m sorry…” Redwood tip-toed his words once again, “for your loss.” That being said, Kokushibo stood, finished his drink, and turned away.

“Thank you.” Kokushibo said almost under his breath. “But I was destined to lose twice that night…the battle…and my brother.”

His final word lingered with a quiver, as he walked away to leave the farm. Redwood sat in silence with nothing else to say to the defeated man. He knew Kokushibo didn’t want to begin the conversation, but with the final words of it, he bore a portion of the weight that Kokushibo attempted to carry alone. Kokushibo felt the bittersweet twist in his heart knowing that he walked a lonely path, but now the Smiths stood by him just like his brother did. It was a loyalty he had completely forgotten the feeling of. He made himself stronger to the point where he felt he didn’t need anyone else. And yet, he accepted the hospitality of a farm grown family. So on the way to his cottage, for the first time in 400 years, tears fell from his eyes uncontrollably and unstoppably, now knowing he had made a life-changing decision.