• Published 19th Jan 2024
  • 1,006 Views, 58 Comments

North Woods NightMares - Starfighter



The NightMare project as it came to be known augmented a set of large bodied mares from the north to conduct counter-piracy ops. This is a story of one of those mares and her determined supporter.

  • ...
4
 58
 1,006

Chapter 13: The Gatekeeper

Hearing the *clang* too, Polaris looked over at 2 and saw a genuine look of fear and panic in her eyes but it vanished when she looked down at her forehooves.

“Oh…” She whispered. “I am so glad my fingers were not over the ring. They just locked again.”

PW, still beside her, opened up the junction box on her fetlock and crossed the same wires, unlocking the mechanism.

“These things are really badly made! I couldn’t believe the amount of times they froze up even during testing.” He whispered back.

After flexing her fingers several times Night-Mare 2 pulled the pin and lobbed the flashbang down onto the changelings below.

“Tuck head, eyes and ears closed, open mouth!” She hissed.

“I hear…” A changeling started before he heard nothing more.

PW saw a bright flash with his eyes closed and heard a blast orders of magnitude louder than the D16. By the time he opened his eyes again the Night-Mare was descending down the bluff, scampering down the vertical escarpment like a mouse. PW jumped off the cliff into a glide but she was nonetheless faster. There were just a few changelings that were running off. One of them was trying to fly but had about as much control as a moth with one wing. Polaris Wind targeted this one and scored his first combat victory by giving him a jab in the side of his head which sent him down.

“A giant pony!” One of the changelings shrieked.

PW looked up to see 2 chasing her quarry down as a hungry dog would rabbits; smacking, punching, tackling, or just simply running down changeling after changeling without pause.

“PW! Hogtie the ones lying still with your paracord!” She shouted.

He got right to work, first tying his combat victory then the rest of the ones lying helplessly discombobulated. Eight were secured by the time Night-Mare 2 showed up again, dropping several more changeling bodies onto the pile. Her face had blue juice splattered over it. PW was entranced by the threatening look in her eyes there in the low light, covered in changeling blood, huffing hot puffs of air out as she threw hundred-pound changelings around like they were bags of food.

“A steam engine with a heart!” PW squeed silently.

“It’s just one mare! We have you outnumbered!” Shouted one of the changelings.

“You should be terrified! This is the best fighter the world has to offer. One alone is more than a match for your hive!” PW answered.

“Help me tie them in!” 2 yelled, quickly getting out her chains, cables, and anything else they could use to tie the captured together.

PW worked alongside her and every so often a changeling would wake up and have to be knocked out again.

“One, two, three…” 2 counted all of them up. “…Thirty, thirty one, thirty two. All alive.”

“I take it you had a good hunt?” Joked PW.

“Yes- actually, we have thirty-two live changelings here. And add eight more up the hill – I think we have every single one!” She smiled.

“Should I leave them hogtied?” The Night-Mare helper asked.

“We don’t have enough chains to make a walking line. Besides, now that they’re caught, we’ll not need to march them around. Stealth is no longer needed. The goal now is to keep them here until morning. I’m going to pull the other eight down here.” She gave PW the pistol again before heading up the road to get to the climbable portion of the hill.

No doubt the eight chain-ganged changelings did make an attempt to escape, though they didn’t get very far by the time they were run down again. Unfortunately for PW at that time the group of 32 changelings had started to wake and were making a cacophony in front of him, discussing a potential giant pony. Finally, one of them contacted PW directly after he turned his lantern on.

“You! Did you tie us up? Is there a giant around?” He asked.

“Shut up! Or I’ll unload this sidearm into your gut!” PW shouted.

“Joke’s on you, pony!” Yelled a different-looking changeling with green eyes.

“Unlike these nitwits I’m the leader. Which means I have enough brains to know you can’t shoot that thing! You can’t handle the recoil enough to keep firing.”

“Yeah, so what of it?”

“What of it is that you’re defenseless! All changelings able to stand – DO SO!” He yelled.

About five other changelings managed to stand after a great deal of effort.

“I’m taking aim at you, leader!” PW warned, angling the pistol towards the leader.

PW heard a scraping noise behind him in the dark but he couldn’t turn around.

“All changelings prepare to attack on my command!”

“I have another flashbang!” PW yelled.

“Prove it.” The leader dared but PW didn't move.

“Changelings charge on my command! 3, 2…”

“CHARGE WHAT, EXACTLY?” Asked a booming voice behind PW.

PW turned his head to see 2 dragging the entire scouting part in tow. Her thighs, belly, and face illuminated in the lantern light. She took the pistol from PW.

“I’m up for shooting you! But let’s reunite you with your scouts first!” She blurted.

“There is a huge pony here after all!” Exclaimed the squad leader.

“Anything else to say before I gag you?” She asked.

“Imma radio this in!” PW squeaked and took off in excitement.

“Vanhoover Control, NorthWind. We have four-zero in captivity. That’s four-zero in captivity. We believe the threat to be neutralized.”

“You’re kidding? Four-zero? As in for-ty?”

“That’s correct.”

“That’s unheard of!”

“What can I say? We make a great team!”

“In that case, yes. I can update you on the position – the caravan left last night and they should be reaching your position around sunrise. Now, what do you intend to do with the captured changelings?”

“My thoughts were we’d just march them with the convoy?”

“Are they well secured?”

“Yup, chained up good.”

“Alright, you may do that.”

“Roger.” PW responded, beginning his descent.

"Northwind."

"Here."

"HQ wants to use them as a bargaining chip in the negotiations. 2 will understand what we mean. Make sure they're ready to be marched all day tomorrow."

"You got it."

“Well?” 2 asked as PW landed.

“They got the message that all changelings are captured and approved taking them into Yakyakistan. Convoy will be here around sunrise.” He saluted.

“Great. In that case, you need to get some sleep.”

“Well who’s going to watch them?”

“I am.”

“But, you just captured them!”

“I know. I got it. Also, I need to find more lines to tie them up with so we can march them tomorrow. You go to sleep, then when it’s cold I’ll wake you up and my snoring will keep you up. Deal?”

“Okay.” Responded PW, gathering up his bedding.

“And you lucky bastards get to sleep through the whole night!” She boomed.

Having disarmed a small army, PW slept comfortably that night. That is, of course until he was woken up by Night-Mare 2. As expected, of course.

“Uuugh!” He gave a groggy groan

“Oh, come on, PW. This girl is tired and wants to sleep.” PW sat up suddenly, as quickly as if a snake was about to crawl on him. “Wow, that worked well!” She muttered, getting her bedding situated.

“Who am I to keep you waiting?” PW asked. She yawned and laid down, offering her pistol to him.

“Here. Don’t underestimate the recoil but you can handle it. If anything bad happens just shoot it. I’m not sure I’ll wake up any other way, anyway.” She admitted.

Polaris was fond of the way her messy, gray mane spread all out over the sleeping pad as she was speaking. 2 next looked at the gagged changeling leader. “And don’t you threaten him! You’re all still alive but I won’t think twice about changing that.” She looked back to PW. “If he threatens you again, shoot him. I want him dead before I wake up.”

PW gulped and nodded, realizing she was completely serious. He glanced at the head changeling. In just that amount of time, PW heard snoring and looked down to find 2 already asleep, and did it keep PW awake. As a matter of fact most of the changelings were woken up and they had to bury their faces between each other, hooves covering ears in a failed attempt to muffle the snoring.

PW marveled at the fact that the sound echoed off the canyon walls. He looked down at her and noticed she was drooling as well. “I’m going to remember that if for any reason we share the same bed or blankets.” He told himself with a chuckle.

The snoring kept the changelings quiet and PW found himself lost in the stars, looking at the various constellations above. About the time they disappeared in the morning light, so too did the snoring.

“Nn – we need to get this place cleaned up before the convoy gets here.” 2 said suddenly, still laying down.

“How do you wake yourself up like that?” Asked PW.

“Discipline. I tell myself what time I will wake up and then I do.”

“Amazing.”

She rose and immediately rolled her bag up. This action got the changeling’s attention – they were getting uneasy at seeing her awake. PW and Night-Mare 2 ate a brief breakfast of crushed oats and then she approached the changelings.

“Alright! The caravan is coming! Get into formation now; four columns of eight. Do it now or I’ll blow your heads off!” She thundered and dropped to all fours.

The changelings formed up without incident. While they stood the sound of galloping hooves heralded a stallion in gleaming Royal Guard armor.

“Good day! The convoy is just minutes away! Has the threat been neutralized?” He shouted ahead.

“What remains is beside us!” PW answered.

“Good, because… they are… almost here and… yeah.” His voice trailed as he approached and beheld Night-Mare 2.

His ears fell and his tail tucked as she stared at him.

“Are you okay sir? You look like you’ve just seen an Ursa!” PW teased him.

“Erm, fine! The prisoners; what are we doing with them?”

2 approached him and his eyes went wide as she leant to speak into his ear. “Per Vanhoover Control we’re going to march them to the Yak Gate and ask them if they’re interested in using the prisoners as bargaining chips against Queen Chrysalis.”

“I-I see! Ah; where are my manners? Marble Shields, at your service! Wh–er, who are you?”

“I’m Ms. Snowheart and this is my assistant, Polaris Wind.” She answered simply and gestured to PW.

PW nearly blushed at being introduced by none other than Night-Mare 2!

The noise of grinding wheels and squeaking axles was heard.

“Ah, the first carriage has caught up.” Shields announced.

The group stood still as three carts passed before the largest and last of them approached.

“Stop this cart!” An ill-toned voice shrieked from within the ornate carriage. A white unicorn stallion with a golden mane and blue eyes stuck his head out from the wagon's window.

“Goodness gracious, we’ve found quite the disgracious circus! What is this? Barley and Bales?” He mocked.

Seriously, Blueblood? They have my Royal Guard’s insignia on their equipment!” Came another, irritated voice.

“Then, Shining Armor… why in the world are there changelings everywhere?” The pony, Blueblood, sneered.

2 leaned down to whisper a warning in PW’s ear. “Royalty, PW. Don’t get defensive.”

“Your Majesty, the changelings are being detained. The pair in front of them are our own. The mare is an elite; one of our best.” PW imagined Shining Armor to be rubbing his temples as he said that.

Prince Blueblood leaned out of the cart again and asked. “I see. Then who is the little Pegasus beside her?”

“State your name and role!” Commanded one of the officers.

PW snapped to attention. “I – um – your majesty, I am Polaris Wind! It is my duty to support the N– erm, her in the line of duty!”

“Tactical support, your majesty. Much like myself.” The guard added.

“Hrm…” The prince’s mind worked. “Shining Armor, do you think that stallion is short enough to stand underneath her? As if her foal?” PW saw the NightMare’s mane shift as part of a confused gesture, and she gasped in disgust.

“Knock it off, Blueblood. The Wonderbolts are roughly the same size. Stop teasing.” Ordered Shining Armor.

“And who do you think is bigger? That mare, or Celestia?”

“Ugh; get this cart moving!” Shining Armor shouted.

Polaris and Night-Mare 2 exchanged glances. She shook her head, acknowledging the impoliteness displayed.

“We are terribly sorry about that.” Replied a rear guard as the clattering wheels resumed turning.

“We’ve had to deal with shit like that since this expedition set out.” Said the guard next to him. “We’re the tail end of the escort. You can bring your prisoners in line in front of us.”

“Alright you gross bugs; start moving!” 2 yanked the slack out of the line like a locomotive.

The first few changelings were dragged until the changeling line woke up to the fact they needed to move immediately. “PW, you’ll be the mid-guard. Patrol the middle of the line between me and the rear guards and report any foul behavior back up to me.” She ordered.

“Yes, ma'am!” PW responded.

Their journey took the majority of the day and, aside from a single hour-long break for lunch, they followed the road with no delays. At around 3:00 in the afternoon they arrived at a massive, wooden gate.

“Yakyakistan.” Announced one of the rear guards. They sat for several minutes as the caravan’s arrival was processed. Finally, one of the forward guards came running to them.

“The Yaks want to see the changeling prisoners.” He informed them.

“Alright,move it!” Bellowed the Night-Mare, hauling the now extremely-sore first line of changelings again.

As they neared the gate the Yakyakistani guards came into view. Their eyes, normally hidden underneath a great mop of hair, widened upon seeing 2.

“Wow… Yak never see Yak-size pony before!” One of them exclaimed.

“How do you do? Miss Snowheart. Royal Guard.” 2 bowed her head.

“And pony-size pony?”

“My assistant, Polaris Wind. Any-how…”

“Allow me.” Shining Armor interrupted and came forward.

2 stepped back in reverence.

“This troop of Changelings was caught attempting to disrupt our visit. Now, thanks to my crafty Royal Guard.” Shining Armor nodded up at the towering mare behind him. “We eliminated the threat and wish to start this trade summit at once by offering these prisoners to Yakyakistan. There is no expectation of repayment. We trust that this troop may provide Yakyakistan with bargaining power against Queen Chrysalis should the need arise.”

“Hm… this sounds good! Will ask the Chief. Take them in for now.” The yak said.

Two particularly large yaks came out of the gate and took possession of the changeling line, much to their dismay.

While all this was going on a hoof tapped on PW’s shoulder. “Yes?” He asked, turning around to find Shining Armor.

“Hey, can we chat over here?” He said, motioning backward.

PW followed him a few steps off the road and away from everypony. “What is it?”

“I’ve heard you doing good work alongside her. From saving her face to helping her capture forty changelings with no casualties! So… fantastic job. Unfortunately, you’re not Guard. Let alone have an active clearance. Which means you technically aren’t allowed to work with her…”

“I knew this was coming. I knew I wouldn’t be accepted and that I’d be denied trying to help her.” PW responded, turning his face to the ground.

“That’s why we want to take you back home to Equestria and offer you the chance to set things up legitimately.”

“What do you mean?”

Shining shifted his eyes about before leaning in close to whisper. “We’re going to get you in touch with the Night-Mare project management so that you’ll have a chance to rejoin the project and legitimately start contributing again.”

“Okay.” PW said, seeing 2 approaching.

“Did you?” He asked her.

She shook her head. “I still heard everything though. Polaris?”

“Yeah?”

“You’ve helped me big time, but don’t worry about me. I’m a big girl and you know that. These last few days have been very successful for me. Even fun!” She patted his head. “It’s time you get back home but don’t give up hope. Who knows? You may just end up stuck with me again if you try hard enough.”

The stallion leapt up to the mare to hug her so fast it even surprised her. “Goodbye, 2. Just for a little while! I’m going to miss you. Don’t have too much fun without me, okay?”

“Heh, okay.” She responded softly, placing her foreleg and fingers across his back in a hug. “There. I hugged you, now my last order is for you to leave me happy and stay that way until we meet again.”

PW laughed and snapped into a salute. “Yes ma'am!”

“Alright, let’s go.” Shining led him to a pair of pegasi who escorted him southward.