• Published 9th Jan 2024
  • 273 Views, 14 Comments

Legend of Zelda: Wielders of Harmony Part II: The Pony of Hyrule - Scriblits Talo



The heroes of Hyrule sleep too long in Ponyvile. Both lands still need to be saved.

  • ...
0
 14
 273

The Hero Awakens

“The day came and went, and they stayed in Ponyville under the crystalline roof of Princess Twilight sparkle, and another day came, and another, and they stayed in Ponyville, and the clouds came and they did not leave, indeed a shadow covered the land. Indeed the heroes were stagnant, lost in slumber under the shadows of a great evil.”-DJPon3_ The Legend of Link

Navi found herself humming as she pulled the heavy cart of apples behind herself, a cart much too heavy for a fairy to handle… of course she was no longer a fairy… and neither was she truly Epona (perhaps the greatest steed in all of Hyrule) …

No, she didn't want to think of it, didn’t want to even consider it.

Gray clouds churned against a darkened sky, a desperate contrast to the land that she and her companion had found themselves in. In what seemed ages ago, and before that things had been so simple. She had been a horse, a simple mare without a care in the world, and she had been a fairy, both of her being the faithful companion to a simple lad in green, the hero known as Link.



Again she tilted back and kicked against a tree, apples raining in the wake of impact, and thudding one by one against the ground.

But now she was one entity, a large earth pony, Epona; who loved both puzzles and the feeling of the wind in her mane. And who on top of it all might be going mad… but she didn't want to think about that. Just pull the cart, buck some more apples, pull the cart, buck some more apples. Truly nothing felt better than the odd comfort of work at the Apple family farm.

And it felt like something else was off… something she just couldn't put her hoof on…

But she just couldn't bring herself to think about it.



It had been such a long time since they had landed in Equestria, her and Link... And well the others… and there was something … something that she was forgetting… Was there something happening outside of Ponyville?

She glanced up at the clouds and shuddered, before forgetting the subject almost entirely and returning to her work.

Just then something red bounced off her nose, an apple rolling to a stop in the grass before her hooves.

Her jaw dropped, to see its source. For in the shadows of the branches of the tree balanced upon a limb was Sheik such as Epona had not seen her in the longest time, not as a pony, but a Hylian!



“One grows accustomed to the shadows when darkness is all one knows…

…Is light truly light if no one is there to see it?”



Epona shook herself, unable to speak, unable to find the words to describe her unbelieved shock at what had just happened, and at who was before her.



Upon arriving in Equestria everyone had become a pony, Link, Sarea, and all the other sages they had found so far had become ponies; of sorts...

Ruito and Darunia still being unique, rather fishy in the case of Princess Ruito and Rocky in the case of Darunia, but ponies non the less. And the fairies both herself and Gation(Sarea's fairy) had become a part of the nearest equine, Octavia in the case of Gation, and Epona in the case of herself; even the evil phantom Gannon had been transmogrified into an equine.



But how was sheik here now again a humanoid, and then there was something else.

The apple hadn't hurt… it just kind of bounced off and landed in the grass… and…

She glanced down… the apple was gone. She looked back at Sheik only to stumble backward in surprise, Sheik who had been high in the tree was now directly in front of her almost nose to nose, and she was a pony again.



“There are many inconsistencies in lies, and in dreams. Much easier sometimes to hide in shadow” The mare smiled… “Do you fear the light of truth?”

Epona tried to respond but found the words to escape her.

Sheik stepped back, eyes downcast. “Look... I'm… I'm sorry I haven't been upfront with the two of you…It's my fault you're in this mess.” She looked back at Epona with a level gaze. “It will be made right, I promise.”



In a flash of light Sheik was gone. Probably a damned Deku nut… did those grow in Equestria?



The orchard was gone, Epona found herself standing in the center of a great void of darkness, a desolate empty floor cool beneath her hooves stretched on forever before her.



I'm dreaming, she thought… but she couldn't find the words to describe the feeling… she just knew it to be true… and… why, why do words escape me?



“Oh, Thow are here… I'm so glad you're here… thank goodness I, I tried to wake the others… but I couldn't, and my sister… she’s… The sun hasn't come up in months!''



Out of the darkness, the speaker emerged. Not quite as tall as Celestia, but just as flowing and regal, a large sender dark blue mare approached Epona.



“Thow must be Epona, it is good to meet you, Sheik told me something of your… situation… Argh but there isn't time for that! Listen when thow waketh you need to investigate the well, in Ponyville, only there will you find the truth and maybe be able to help your friends!”

“Malevolent forces even now are mustering to attack Equestria, nay neither is Hyrule safe.”



Epona opened her mouth to speak, to respond, to ask at least one of the many questions that formed at the tip of her mind but refused to form the shape of words on her tongue! Still the words escaped her, depriving her of themselves.



“The well, find the eye within the well. It is thine calling!” And then an incandescent light shone at the end of the alicorn's horn.






Epona awoke to the sound of her own voice, words actual words; sweet and beautiful crisp words, more savory than the brightest of apples.



“Hey, wake up! Can Equestria's destiny really rely on the fate of such a lazy pony!?“ She chuckled at this, using on herself the same phrase she had used on her green-clad companion so many years ago, and then the sadness set in. Who was she if not for Navi?



She gazed out into the darkness before her.

The orchard was absolutely silent save for the gentle snore of a sleeping Applejack who lay amongst the nearby trees.