• Published 7th Jan 2024
  • 814 Views, 52 Comments

The Blue Queen - TheLegendaryBillCipher



An otherworldly new power falls into Chrysalis's hooves.

  • ...
4
 52
 814

Issue #4: This Day Duet

“This day is going to be perfect.”

Chrysalis grinned up at the gleaming spires of Canterlot Castle as she approached. The buzz of hundreds of changelings surrounded her, drowning out the cacophony of a city in panic. Despite bringing most of her forces, her army was still considerably smaller than last time.

But at least she had an advantage.

“Go, my changelings. Occupy the guards, do not let them interfere or escape,” Chrysalis commanded, sweeping a foreleg towards the city of Canterlot. “I shall handle the princess myself.”

As the changelings dispersed, Chrysalis used a blast of flickering green magic to blow open the doors. She’d stocked up on plenty of love before departing the Hive, and she was willing to show it off.

Armored guards charged at her from the halls, but a mixture of her own magic and the scarab’s webbing gun blasted them out of her way, sending them through windows or applying them to the walls and ceilings. With a delighted snicker, she rounded one last hall and blew open the doors to the throne room.

There atop her golden dais was Princess Celestia, looking rather calm for the ruler of a city under invasion.

“Queen Chrysalis,” she regarded with a neutral, if stern, expression.

“Princess Celestia,” Chrysalis purred. “I had hoped to have a little reunion with Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadance.”

“I’m afraid they’re on their honeymoon.” Celestia narrowed her eyes. They seemed focused on Chrysalis’s chest. Chrysalis merely grinned.

“Then I suppose you will have to do,” the queen replied, marching towards the throne.

Celestia flared her wings and glided to the foot of the stairs before her throne, standing taller against the queen. The princess kept her gaze focused on Chrysalis, but her eyes occasionally flicked down to the scarab in her chest.

Significant threat identified. Activating defensive countermeasures,” the scarab reported.

By all means, please do,” Chrysalis purred internally.

Celestia’s eyes widened as the scarab’s influence engulfed Chrysalis in her black and blue armor. The queen delighted in the bewildered expression, buzzing her new wings eagerly.

“Like the new look?” Chrysalis asked.

“I didn’t think blue was your color,” Celestia admitted.

“It’s starting to grow on me.”

Attack!”

“Acknowledged.”

The gauntlet reformed on Chrysalis’s foreleg at the same time the thrusters on her back flared to life. The queen leveled a powerful punch directly at the alicorn’s muzzle—only for Celestia to vanish in a flash of gold.

The scarab’s added legs worked overtime to weave a shield behind Chrysalis’s back before she even realized a blast of golden magic had hit her. She whirled around, a fanged grin at Celestia’s brief, surprised look as the shield faded.

Melee assaults deemed ineffective. Activating ranged countermeasures.”

The gauntlet shifted on Chrysalis’s foreleg shifted, and experimentally, Chrysalis leveled it at Celestia. A power burst of blue energy blasted through where Celestia had been, as the alicorn teleported again and the wall behind her exploded.

“Hold still,” Chrysalis growled, firing off more blasts as Celestia flew and teleported around the throne room. Each consecutive blast blew holes through the walls and windows. Celestia barely had a chance to launch a counteroffensive, and when she did, the scarab made sure a shield was there to greet it.

A second gauntlet cannon formed around Chrysalis’s other foreleg as she took flight and gave chase to the fleeing alicorn, firing shot after shot and missing her by hairs.

“Can’t you do something?” Chrysalis hissed to the scarab.

Energy signature identified. Activating tracking.

As Celestia vanished yet again, the gauntlets aimed to the left and fired—just as Celestia reappeared. The exploded against a hasty shield of golden magic that left visible cracks. Grinning at the chance, Chrysalis mentally ordered a bombardment.

Celestia was backed against a wall, each blast scorching the marble floors around her and chipping further away at her shield. At the last second, a cannon aimed just to the right as the alicorn teleported from under the onslaught—and blasted Celestia in the side, knocking her through the remnants of a window.

Chrysalis charged after her, a manic grin plastered to her muzzle. She peppered the grounds of the castle like a strafing fighter plane—Celestia only managed to roll to her hooves and sidestep it. One of her wings was limp against her side.

“No more running!” Chrysalis snarled.

“Give me something bigger!”

“…Acknowledged.”

The cannon on her right foreleg extended out, adding a trio of prongs around the rim. As Chrysalis experimentally fired it, she realized it was a solid beam of energy. She quickly leveled it at Celestia and fired—and the alicorn fired back a beam of her own magic.

Gold and blue energy locked, illuminating the palace grounds. A few guards and changelings gathered, gawking at the spectacle of power.

Increasing power output.”

“Heh. No need.

Chrysalis pointed the other gauntlet cannon at Celestia. The princess’s eyes widened in horror only too late—as the queen fired a blast straight at her chest.

The beams sputtered out as the alicorn skipped across the garden like a smoking stone. Her regalia was scorched, and her tiara flew off into a bush. With a grunt, she came to rest, her limbs sprawled out and both wings limp.

Chrysalis touched down, vanishing away the cannons for her web gun. With a wicked laugh, she blasted the alicorn’s hooves and wings to the ground. As sparks of gold magic sputtered from Celestia’s horn, it was webbed to the ground too, leaving Celestia’s head prone and on its side.

The princess watched through a blackened eye as the queen loomed over her. Her breathing was labored, and she tugged weakly at her bindings. With a look of realization, a tear fell down her cheek and she closed her eye to Chrysalis.

Chrysalis, on the contrary, had never felt happier! The foe that had bested her so long ago and left her scarred was battered and beaten before her hooves. Her changelings were all around her, cheering on their queen in her most glorious victory. The ponies looked on forlorn or in stunned disbelief that their ruler had fallen. And as she took it all in, Chrysalis finally felt…

She blinked. Then blinked again. This should’ve been her greatest victory over the ponies.

So why didn’t it taste as sweet as she had hoped?

Threat has been disabled. Neutralizing.”

Chrysalis nearly jumped back as her foreleg raised on its own, a long, sharp blade materializing out to replace the web gun. She watched it as the tip was leveled towards Celestia’s neck.

“Wait, stop!” Chrysalis barked, though the scarab didn’t respond.

The tip pressed against Celestia’s coat.

“I said stop!”

The foreleg suddenly reared away and back like a guillotine.

I command you to stop Khaji Da!

“Command acknowledged.”

The blade stopped mid-descent and dematerialized. Chrysalis let out a breath of relief, looking wide-eyed at her own hoof. Only then did she realized that Celestia was looking at her again, confusion and relief mixed in her pale magenta eye.

And then Chrysalis realized others were watching.

She quickly cleared her throat and turned to address the masses. “My changelings! We have claimed victory over the ponies at long last! They now know our superiority!” she announced.

The buzzing of her Hive was triumphant, if a little confused. Pharynx and Thorax quickly approached and saluted their queen as they looked on at Celestia.

“Your Majesty, what about Princess Celestia?” Pharynx asked.

Chrysalis looked down at Celestia, her expression apprehensive, but she quickly covered it with the mask of a sneer. “We’ve scored a psychological victory, Pharynx. They know who is stronger now,” she said to him.

Celestia looked like she didn’t believe Chrysalis, and the queen herself was still in a mixture of emotions, but like Tartarus she’d let her Hive see her weakness. Thankfully, Celestia was silent as Chrysalis walked away.

“Back to the Hive, my changelings,” Chrysalis commanded, marching away.

Though she only felt half the victor she was.

To Be Continued…

Author's Note:

Date of Creation (D.o.C.): 09/21/23

Battle theme: Princess Celestia and the Blue Queen

There's a reason I put that quote at the top of the long description, and to those who've read my other Chrysalis-themed stories, this shouldn't be too much of a surprise I'd hope. This is what I call Chrysalis's "Megamind Moment": she's gotten what she's wanted for so long, but it doesn't make her happy.

The scarab chose her for a reason, after all.

-yours truly,
The Legendary Bill Cipher