• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 1,531 Views, 36 Comments

Far is the Star Called Sol - Omnicron25



Jason is dropped into Equestria, literally. His ventures are read by a filly trying to right a wrong

  • ...
9
 36
 1,531

5 - Confrontation

Author Note: Just saying thank you for reading this far. I usually will write one of these every five chapters with a thank you for reading. Special shout out to Silversoul1k (a personal friend of mine) who helped me out with this by giving it a pair of fresh eyes. Enjoy the chapter!

Far is the Star Called Sol
Chapter 5: Confrontation

Back at Sweet Apple Acres, Jason took a bite out of what seemed to be tart, or something of that nature at least. He had never really eaten many different types of pastries in his past to know what different ones were or what they looked like, and now he felt uncomfortable even asking. So, the teen chewed the treat thoughtfully trying to pinpoint what was in it. Definitely apples, but the other tastes… what are they?

"Wha'cha thinkin' 'bout?" asked Applebloom curiously as she stared at the injured human.

"I'm trying to figure what's in it. I can't say I've ever tasted anything like it before," Jason remarked absently as he concentrated harder. "Kinda reminds me of fruit punch, only… less punchy."

"Well wha'cha eaten right there's a Zap Apple Tart!" exclaimed Applejack proudly. "We're the only ponies that grow'em! In fact, it was Granny Smith that discovered'em! It's actually the Zap Apples that started Ponyville!"

"Eeyup," stated Big Mac after he swallowed the last of his tart.

Jason raised his brows in amazement. "A Zap Apple huh? Well I have ta say this is the best thing I've ever tasted, and if not that definitely the most exotic. Either way I applaud the baker, and Granny Smith for her discovery." The teen ate the last of the tart and savored the flavor since he did not know when he will ever taste it again.

"Why thank ya kindly," said the raspy voice of Granny Smith herself behind the human. "Eh, why's there a clothed monkey in the house, and where's the stallion that's talkin'?"

The elderly green earth pony seemed confused. So, Jason turned around after he swallowed the last of the tart and opened his mouth to say hello, but…

"That monkey ate one of our Zap Apple Tarts! Somepony get me my broom!"

The human blinked in confusion for a moment then he realized the old pony did not realize what was really happening. Of course, Jason was not sure how he would of reacted to an animal in his kitchen eating his food either. Much the same, he guessed. "Mrs. Smith, I…"

"Well I'll be! The monkey talks! Why are y'all jus sittin' there?! Get my big broom!"

Big Mac sighed and promptly said, "His name's Jay. He's our guest."

Granny Smith blinked for a moment in surprise.

Guessing on Mac's personality, I'm sure this is about as close to a retort as it gets, Jason thought as he said, "Hello, it's nice to meet you, Mrs. Smith. The one who spoke earlier was me, and I was being quite sincere."

"Nice ta meet ya… too?" half-asked the elderly green earth pony.

"Granny! He's really cool! He blew up a dead tree!" exclaimed Applebloom in excitement. "He also said once he was healed, he would help me get mah cutie mark!"

Jason face-palmed explaining, "It was an accident. A tree was about to fall on top of me, and it sorta… 'blew up' like she said. I'm not ever sure how it happened to be honest. Magic was involved. I know that much, but how I'm not sure because I wasn't even aware I had any."

"That's what that was? Ah thought the weather ponies had a thunder boomer scheduled. Guess that's why it's still sunny," said the elder nonchalantly. "Who taught ya ta talk?"

Was that sarcasm? Jason blinked thinking how awkward this conversation was getting before saying, "Um, my mother and teachers taught me most of the basics, but I taught myself most afterwards. Anyway, I'm not what you'd call a monkey, but rather I'm a human. My species is related to monkeys, but we split off over 300,000 years ago."

"So… yer a smart monkey. Ah thought ya looked kinda funny. Never seen one of ya before," said the elder before turning around to the fireplace and looking into the steaming pot hanging over the flames. "Soup's on."

"Nnope, not soup, Granny," said Big Mac boredly.

Jason leaned over to Mac asking, "Is your grandmother always like this?"

He nodded slowly before saying, "Eeyup, 'n' sometimes worse."

"Oh dear," the teen said with a thoughtful expression. "It reminds me of mid-stage Alzheimer's, but she's still seems functional."

"What?" asked the red pony in confusion.

The teen face-palmed realizing he was thinking out-loud before saying, "Sorry, I was thinking out-loud. What's in the pot by the way?"

"Oh, water," answered Mac boredly obviously not taking any offense to Jason's remark.

"Alright everypony, break's over. We still have a lot of apples ta buck," announced Applejack as she stood and stretched.

"I guess I better get back to Fluttershy's then. If she's there, then she's probably worried where I've been off to," Jason responded as he maneuvered himself out of the way of everypony else.

"We'll walk ya ta the gate then. The apples that need buckin' are over yonder anyway," said Applejack courteously.

"Eeyup," agreed Big Mac as he started to maneuver the young man toward the front door.

The young man felt annoyed by his temporary disability. While Jason did not mind the help and would feel rude if he did not take it, he still felt disappointed in himself. "Thanks. I think it's all uphill back to the cottage so I'll need all the strength I can get."

"No problem," said Mac as they exited the house.

-X-X-X-

As Lt. Thunderstorm flew over the newer stretch of Canterway 07 between the 07 Split and Ponyville, he noticed nothing out of the ordinary, but also surmised that it was unlikely that a creature that was possibly afraid would go to a heavily traveled thoroughfare. It was not outside the Night Guard lieutenant's imagination though that the strange creature would not see the pony population as any sort of threat if the 'human' race was nearly as technologically advanced as Twilight claimed. This made Thunderstorm worry that this 'Jay-son' creature could just be a scout for an invading army wanting to take over Equestria. The thought of an invasion gave him a chill.

Twilight Sparkle has been wrong about ponies before, especially him, thought the dark pegasus bitterly, And I am not about to let my once best friend to make the same mistake again, because the last time she did… she lost every friend she had.

The black pegasus frowned as the painful thoughts and memories flooded his mind. Twilight had just started opening up when she met Thunderstorm, who back then was called Wind Storm. He had been training to become a guardspony with Lance, and she was still in Unicorn Academy. It would be another two years before her parents enrolled Twilight into Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, and Storm and Lance would be accepted into the Royal Guard cadet program. Over the first year, they became best friends along with his step-sister Moon Dancer, Fury Lance, and another blue unicorn filly he had not seen since after the incident. He became friends with her brother Shining Armor too, but they were distant friends at best. Then, he started eyeing her. Thunderstorm did not know what the white unicorn had been intending, but he knew it was not the friendly façade that the unicorn portrayed to Twilight and the others. Storm had felt something within the unicorn that made him know that nothing good was to come of the newcomer. The others said it was jealousy, but Storm knew better. Then the memories fogged and a massive migraine erupted in his skull like a burning acid or a blazing inferno.

The pain was so intense that it forced the battle-scarred Night Guard to land just out of sight of the canterway and shake his head in agony so violently that it made his helmet careen to the ground, but he was not alone.

A cyan pegasus with a rainbow colored mane and tail watched the black battle-scarred pegasus with gold streaked storm grey mane and tail in concern. She had never seen the armor-clad pegasus before, but the dark Gothic-style armor and membrane wings were enough to identify the strange pegasus as a part of the Royal Night Guard.

The cyan pegasus flew down to see if there was anything she do to help the suffering Night Guard, but as she got closer she witnessed the various scars that seem like streaks of white lightning against the black night. His gold lightning bolt streaked storm grey mane was about the same length as her own. But, something seemed to be wrong as she watched the pony's knees buckle and he started pounding his head into the dirt as if demented. She quickly flew down and held the pain-stricken Night Guard up in the air so he could not hurt himself anymore than he probably already had.

"Calm down! What's wrong with you?!" yelled Rainbow Dash as she struggled to keep the agonized pony from hurting himself or her.

"MAKE IT STOP!!!" cried the Night Guard as visions of Canterlot's population, including the guards and visitors, becoming enslaved by his magic to attack him and his friends which were protecting a beaten purple unicorn filly as well as trying to capture Celestia in her castle. He heard his demented and manic laughter as he controlled the population with ease, "Soon! Soon all of Equestria shall bow to my power! THEN! THEN THE WORLD!!!"

Then, the Night Guard stopped thrashing as the pain arrested suddenly, but he was confused and disturbed by what he now remembered. He is utterly numb, nauseated, and felt an emotion boiling inside him. That emotion was hate. Hate toward him, hate toward his own inability to save his closest friend from him, and hate toward the memories themselves. He failed to even notice he was even being held up or any of the surrounding happenings in general. Then suddenly, he felt extremely sad, because he just now realized the she had to marry him, but a resolve began to form: a resolve to save Twilight Sparkle from him.

"Hey, are you alright?" asked Rainbow Dash as she lowered the now determined pegasus to the ground.

The lieutenant snapped out of his thoughts and faced the cyan pegasus saying, "Yes…" Then, he realized he was talking to none other than Element of Loyalty and could not help but smile. Perfect! I think I just found the perfect pony to help! Thunderstorm mentally sneered before his duty came back, and the black stallion reminded himself that he was still on business so the human came first… for now. "Yes, Element of Loyalty, I am Lieutenant Thunderstorm of the Royal Night Guard. I appreciate the help."

The cyan mare just nodded slightly confused. "Sure, but what the hay was that? Do you need to go to the hospital or something? You seemed to be in a lot of pain just a moment ago."

The black stallion shook his head very slowly— after all he did just gave himself a concussion— and said, "I'm fine now. I will explain later, but for now I need your assistance. We are searching for something called a 'human'. It is…"

"What?! What do you plan on doing with Nalick?!" demanded Rainbow Dash defensively with her wings outstretched, fur on end, and back arched in an aggressive pose, every fiber of her being ready to strike the armored pegasus down. She didn't care if he was of the Royal Night Guard or not.

Lt. Thunderstorm held a hoof up in a 'halt' gesture as he explained calmly, "Princess Luna is just wanting to interview him, but we could not find him at the Element of Kindness's home. We are under the belief that he is moving under his own power and is exploring the area in a wheelchair."

Rainbow Dash settled from her aggressive stance, but eyed the golden eyed stallion warily saying, "I think I saw him at Sweet Apple Acres, Lieutenant."

After brushing off most of the dirt, Lt. Thunderstorm nodded appreciatively and started, "I thank you, Miss Dash. I will look for him…"

"I am going with you. I won't stand to see a friend stallionhandled." Rainbow Dash interrupted. Her rose eyes stared challengingly into the golden ones which did not even flinch. The rose eyed stare reminded him of when his step-sister Moon Dancer scolded him. Thunderstorm did not care for it and had long ago made a tolerance for such petty staring challenges.

"Good. I was hoping you would accompany me," stated the Night Guard lieutenant with a satisfied tone as he placed his helmet back onto his head with a slight wince. "There are a few things I need to discuss with you, and possibly Lady Sparkle, afterwards."

Rainbow Dash nodded warily. "Alright, but no funny stuff."

The lieutenant raised a brow incredulously. "No, I have a reputation to keep," he stated as he spread his wings and jumps into the air with only a slight wobble from the concussion.

"Alright Lieutenant Thunderstorm, I'll follow you for now," mumbles the cyan mare distrustingly as she takes off after the black stallion.

-X-X-X-

Major Blades sighed as he waited at the Canterway 07 Split. Lt. Thunderstorm was supposed to rendezvous with him fifteen minutes ago, and the seasoned battle-stallion was starting worry. After all, this is the young stallion's first command, and the major did not want it to turn into a complete failure. Thunderstorm was like a son, much like Twilight was like a daughter, to him, and the middle-age pony was hoping one day it would be Thunderstorm that succeeded him as the head of the Royal Night Guard. Now, however, the major was more concerned for the young stallion's safety. He had already ordered one of the twins to keep a close eye on his niece for him, but he had figured that Thunderstorm had not need the protection. Maybe he had one of those episodes. I told him to keep taking that medication, Major Blades thought in concern.

The Night Guard major started to pace in both worry and impatience as the twins, along with Twilight, approached him. He turned to them and the three ponies report that they had found no trace of the injured human. This caused the major to sigh in dissatisfaction. He knew the human could not have gotten far in its supposed condition, but there was still plenty of ground to cover saying, "Alright, lads, check the fields north of the cottage," commanded the Night Guard major before turning to his niece, "Twilight, you and I will check the apple orchard southeast of here. But first, has anypony seen any sign of Lt. Thunderstorm?"

"Roger, but no, we haven't seen the lieutenant," replied the twin guards in perfect unison again while Twilight just shook her head staying silent.

Twilight's uncle noted his niece's behavior, but decided to address it after the twins leave commanding, "Dismissed, lads. Make sure to send the lieutenant my way should you find him." The twins gave their CO a quick salute before flying to the northwest.

After their departure, Major Four Blades turned to his niece with concern in his violet eyes. "What's bothering you, Twi? You haven't been acting normal since the flight from your library."

The lavender colored unicorn's ears droop, and she sat on her haunches. She would have to tell somepony eventually, and it was not as if Uncle Four Blades was a stranger, but she just knew how proud up he was to see his niece getting married. It was not the marriage that worried her though… it was him. If there was anypony besides Discord— and chaos was his job anyway— or Queen Chrysalis she would call evil, it would be him. He had taken everypony away from her except her parents, Shining Armor, and Candace because, while they did not remember the incident just like everypony else, they were powerful enough for his threats to be considered ineffective against them. In fact, the only ponies that do remember the incident at all were Princess Celestia, him, and Twilight herself.

Her uncle studied her thoughtful expression carefully, but was still at a loss of what exactly could be making her so depressed. "Twi, you still haven't told me what's wrong yet, lassie. I know I'm not your brother, but I can help too you know. We are family after all."

The mention of Shining Armor calmed her a little, but if she ever told anypony about what really happened: he would kill them. It did not matter whether he had his magic sealed or not. He was still a royal after all. That was why Twilight never did, not even to her brother, not to anypony, and that is why she had to marry him. Not even Princess Celestia could stop him, because he had blackmailed the white alicorn princess after the entire event had settled. That blackmailing was the only reason he was still in Equestria, and the only reason he could do as he wished.

Finally, Twilight stood and said, "I'm sorry if I'm worrying you, Uncle. I'm just nervous about the wedding. It's not like I do not like the stallion, but I don't like the whole idea of an arranged marriage either." It was a half-truth, she did not hate the stallion in question since he was not always as he was now, but she did fear him for what he had become.

Her uncle took the bait as he patted her gently on the shoulder. "Aye, the wedding butterflies are a-swarming you. It's alright, lassie. If he ever tries to mistreat you, royal or not, I'm sure Princess Luna will show him a thing or two. If she don't, I'll pull a few strings myself and knock him on his dock," comforted the black stallion with a mischievous grin.

Twilight instantly perked up at the mention of Princess Luna thinking, That's right! Princess Luna has been gone for a thousand years! There's no way that he could have anything to blackmail her with! However, she also remembered that most ponies still feared or distrusted the Princess of the Night which crushed her hopes of a savior. She did not let this second string of emotions show though as she said with a smile, "Thanks, Uncle. I'll be sure to keep that in mind."

Major Four Blades nodded with a proud smile. "Aye, glad to see you with a bit-o-pep. Let's get going then. I'll search the areas around the road. You search the canterway itself." The family moment was over and now it was back to business. This actually let Twilight relax quite a bit since she was no longer under the magnifying glass.

She nodded and started down Canterway 07 toward her friend Applejack's home. They were just getting near the part where the hoof traffic dropped off sharply so if Jason did indeed take the road, then Twilight should be able to find the tire tracks. However, just before her uncle took off, they noticed a rainbow-colored streak with a storm grey and gold streak traveling alongside not even 200 lengths away. Instantly, Twilight recognized the streaks as Dash and Storm respectively. The pegasi seemed to spot them as well and turned towards them though Storm seemed to wobble a little on the bank.

"Ah, it seems that Lt. Thunderstorm's found a friend," prodded the major jokingly knowing that Thunderstorm was too proud to do anything unsavory. "They seemed to of been heading towards the farm too, so it seems we're on the right track."

Twilight giggled at the joke knowing how honor obsessed Storm was. It only took a few moments for the two pegasi to reach the two pony party. As Thunderstorm and Rainbow Dash land, the major noted that the lieutenant landed much harder than normal, but both of them noticed the broken helmet strap and the dirt pounded into the fur on his muzzle. Twilight almost scolded Dash for ruffing up her old friend, but her uncle stepped forward saying, "You had another one of your episodes, didn't you?" The phrase was not so much a question or challenge, but merely a statement of observance.

The pegasus lieutenant nodded slowly and gestured to Dash saying, "Yeah, Miss Dash, helped me though. I would of probably killed myself if it hadn't been for her." His speech was markedly hiccupped and slow making it painfully obvious damage had already occurred. This made Twilight stare at her one time friend in concern.

"Your flanking lucky I noticed you to start with!" huffed Rainbow Dash immediately, "What the hell was that anyway?! You never did tell me!"

The major held his hoof up as a gesture of silence and explained, "There's a mare's tale of a incident that happened in Canterlot around thirteen years ago. Now most think it's nothing, but since that supposed incident, there have been ponies that have sudden unexplainable episodes of extreme migraines. Lt. Thunderstorm here is one of those ponies, though the lad hates to admit it. He's supposed to be taking medication for the episodes, but it seems like he skipped a dose."

This revelation hit Twilight like a freight train making her shrink slightly as her ears laid back and she bit her lower lip. It's all my fault! I've ruined so many ponies' lives! Maybe I should just be a happy wife and marry him with no complaints after all.

The lieutenant glared at his superior explaining, "I told you, Major. It is whenever I try to remember the incident that I get those episodes. I have been taking my medicine, but I don't think I'll be having any more of those headaches."

"You keep saying that, but I have yet to see them stop. I would like to talk to you later about this," commented Major Blades as he turned to the Element of Loyalty. "And I take it, you know where the human was last seen since you are with the lieutenant?"

Rainbow Dash nodded with a determined expression. "Yeah, he's at Applejack's, but I'm going with you."

The major, not seeing any room to complain and since she did technically outrank him, nodded his head in agreement. "I see no reason why not, Element of Loyalty. We need to keep going though. Lt. are you able to fly?"

The Night Guard junior officer nodded his head slowly. "Yes, but not very fast. I'm still feeling aftereffects."

The violet eyed pegasus nodded looking over to Twilight. "Her Majesty must be getting impatient by now. Head over to the entrance of the farm while I retrieve her."

"That will not be necessary, Major Blades," announced a calm feminine voice from the shadow of a tree making everypony's ears swivel towards the regal voice. The party looked over to the tree in time to witness Princess Luna materialize from the shadow as if it was fog making the party bow reverence. "Thou seem'st to forget that We can traverse through shadow. The Royal Night Guards are supposed to be taught this art as well so they can follow. It seem'st though sister hath declared it to not be taught. Why?"

The Night Guard major stood and face-hoofed saying, "Because it was demanded by the royals, Your Majesty. The Royal Night Guards haven't been taught shadow-walking since the Equestrian Armed Forces was dissolved and that was thirty years ago. The royals said it unsettled the populous and gave you a bad image, but I know it's just so we can't discover their… more unsavory acts should I say?"

The dark alicorn raised a brow. "So, thou art one of the last to know the art?"

The violet eyed pegasus nodded slowly asking, "Well, yes, but why do you ask, Your Majesty?" The major already suspected he knew the answer though.

"At ease." commanded the alicorn, and the rest of the party stood. Deciding it to be best to leave her sister's most faithful student and her own personal friend along with the Elements out of a possible defiance by herself, should the nobles and lesser royals not agree, Luna faced the Night Guard leader announcing, "Tis nothing, Major Blades. We are only a-gathering information. Celestia hast told Us little of what hast changed, and We are performing this feat the way We did in times gone by."

Getting the feeling that the subject will be brought up later, Major Blades only nodded at the issue before changing the subject, "Where is Lt. Lance?"

The Night Princess gestured up to the sky, and the others turned to see the mentioned pony landing not more than two lengths off. "Thou underestimate thine own subordinate's wing power," stated the ebony princess as she smirked before her face grew serious again, "Now, where is the human? We wish to meet him."

"Mr. Nalick was last seen at the Element of Honesty's residence, Your Majesty," reported Lt. Thunderstorm trying to keep his speech as regular as possible. The Night Guard gestured to Rainbow Dash beside him. "It was the Element of Loyalty that last saw him."

Twilight winced as Princess Luna arched a brow saying, "Oh, thou meanest the jester from previous Nightmare Night? How do We know she is not a-pulling Our tail?"

"Hey! I'm not pulling anypony's tail!" retorted the cyan weather pegasus brashly, "I told this stallion the truth! I did see him there, but I was busy so I was going to stop by later! I was actually going to go see if Nalick was still there when I came across…" She gestured to Lt. Thunderstorm. "…this stallion having some type of episode that nearly made him bash his own skull in!"

Princess Luna peered at her Night Guard lieutenant with a concerned gaze asking, "What doth she speak of, Lt Thunderstorm?"

Thunderstorm shook his head slowly replying, "Can this wait until after the mission, Your Majesty? I am not comfortable with all these ponies around."

The princess nodded in understanding, "Very well, but We want a full debriefing from thee with a full description of these episodes that hast been brought unto thee."

The pegasus with the gold streaked tail bowed his head in thanks as the Night Princess turned to Fluttershy who had just arrived. "Element of Kindness, please help Our guard unto the local doctor. He had an accident and needeth to be examined for head trauma," explained the regal alicorn gently as she gently pushed Lt. Thunderstorm toward the cream colored pegasus. "We have already acquired Mr. Nalick's location, and will head there presently. Worry not, Fluttershy, for we will make certain no harm cometh unto him."

"Um… okay," said Fluttershy nervously. She turned to the injured pegasus with a concerned gaze. "Are you alright, sir?"

The pegasus guard promptly fell over as a wave of dizziness hit him making Fluttershy squeak in fright.

"Is he okay?" asked a concerned male behind the party. "I can use a crutch or something if he needs a wheelchair."

Everypony, besides the Princess, turned around with a jump— Fluttershy even whinnies in surprise— at the voice of the newcomer. The Princess had sensed the odd creature's presence long before he had arrived, but she was confused as she gazed upon the human, Is this the human? The creature seem'st starved.

The party stared at Jason who started to regret having butted-in. The young man sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose completely unaware of what company he was in. Finally regaining his composure, he waved his hand and said, "Hi, I'm sorry for the intrusion. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help…"

"Where in Equestria have you been?! We've been looking everywhere for you!" shouted Twilight Sparkle with an angered expression on her muzzle.

"I've been at AJ's. Why?" Jason blinked in surprise as he glanced at the rest of the party for help which made his eyes land on what seemed to be a winged unicorn. The presence was something he would almost call overwhelming. 'Divine' was the only word that he can find that could describe the power that inhabited the unusually tall pony. This dream is getting weirder and weirder, and if this is reality… well I guess the old saying 'the reality is always stranger' would be proven true yet again. There might be some truth behind that sun and moon thing after all, thought the young man now a little more nervous, but then becomes agitated, What am I?! In the presence of ye old mythological gods now?! Since when did I deserve this crap?! God, I thought experiencing: being beaten to near death by trees, having a mental breakdown, and nearly having a tree almost crush me was enough! I mean…!

"Hey! Look at me when I'm talking to you!" started Twilight angrily as she began to lecture the poor man on proper speech edict which he was completely ignoring.

As the man ranted in his head and Twilight battered him with a scolding lecture, Princess studied the human thoughtfully. It is obvious he could feel her power, but to what extent she could not tell. She could tell, however, that his spirit was jagged, hurt, and was only now healing from old scars. Another thing worried the ebony alicorn though, his heart was in a vice of cold iron so thick that only the strongest of emotions would emanate from it. She also saw powerful bonds between the human and all of the representatives of the Elements of Harmony making it obvious this human would play a role in events to come. Finally, she figured that he had suffered enough of her friend's concern-borne wrath and said, "Twilight Sparkle, cease the lecture. We have business to attend at this time."

The human did not respond as his thoughtful, yet agitated, gaze remained on the divine alicorn. She addressed him directly greeting, "Mr. Nalick, We welcome thee unto Equestria."

The human blinked, as if just emerging from a dream, and responded, "My apologies for staring at you… you must think me rude, but I whole heartedly appreciate the welcome." He did not add any titles or the kind, because he did not know what was appropriate to address a divine creature. He was positive she was similar to a Pagan god of some type. Jason was not one to go to church, but despite his love for logic and science, he always believed some guiding force or forces were in the universe, and now he was convinced he is in the presence of one.

Princess Luna nodded saying, "Thine staring bothers me not, young human. Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy hast told me of thine studious tendencies. We wish to have a interview with thee. Thou must understand We do yet not trust thee. Our name is Princess Luna."

Oh, now I feel smart. I should of noticed the tiara, but then again, I do not have any idea what is considered a fashion statement around here. Her Highness does not seem to be upset, so I guess what Mac said was true, thought Jason before he said with a bow of his head, "Pardon me for not bowing, Your Highness, but I am not capable at this time. My name is Jason Tiberius Nalick, sole heir of the Nalick family and a human from the planet Earth."

"Tis fine that thou cannot perform the customary bow," said Her Majesty with a understanding nod. Then, she turned to the major and said, "Major, have Fluttershy take thine lieutenant to the medical hall. We fear for his health."

The major bowed doing so, and as Fluttershy and the injured armored guard walked away, the ebony alicorn gestured to the middle-age pegasus major and said, "He is Major Four Blades, the leader of Our Royal Night Guard. What is thine world in comparison to ours?"

Jason gave the major a courteous nod of the head which seemed lost on the Night Guard leader then righted his attention to the ebony winged unicorn. "Chaotic, Your Highness. My world is chaotic. From what I understand with my conversations with Fluttershy, the your world seems to have magic control the day and night while our planet simply rotates at a constant pace for our day and night. I am surprised on how much of the local fauna and flora is the same though. Many of the food stuffs too. This world, from what I've seen so far, also seems less urbanized, but as I said I've seen very little of this world."

"Explain 'urbanized' Jason," said Twilight with a encouraging tone.

Jason nodded. "Urbanization is the clearing of natural land and putting in place of it homes, streets, office buildings, apartments, etc. Basically, it is building a large city. Many cities of Earth cover many mi… er… trots of land and have over a million people in permanent residence."

While, some part of him believed he was betraying the human race, Jason had seen no actual military force that could even stand up to modern human weaponry, or just some of the smarter hillbillies with shotguns for that matter. These ponies did not even seem to have gunpowder weapons yet and seemed to be a people of peace. This concept seemed utterly alien to the young man, but then again so did everything in this world. Besides if this is indeed reality, do these ponies even have the ability for interstellar or interdimensional travel? He assumed not any large scale if there was.

The princess raised a brow. She had seen how much the area had changed around Canterlot, Fillydelphia, and Manehattan, but not to scale that the human was suggesting. Then, a thought crossed her mind. She remembered Fluttershy telling her the shear number of humans on the human world that Jason called 'Earth'. She was positive it had been a miscommunication, but now was not so sure. "How large is the human population, Mr. Nalick?"

"7.8 billion, Your Highness. We are… notorious for our fertility, but I'd rather go into human reproductive processes if you do not mind, Your Highness."

The Princess of the Night nodded a bit numbly before changing the subject with a concerned tone, "We have heard of thine mentality collapse on at least one account. How would thou deduct thine mind is a-holding up?"

"Improving, Your Highness. I believe the worst has past, but I don't know how I'll react to violence or extreme stress for awhile. To some extent, I think this is all a long dream. In denial, I suppose," stated Jason as he ran his hand down his face, "I mean, I know I don't have magic, but I can't find another explanation on how that tree exploded." Why am I explaining all of this to her? Oh well, they would've all found out eventually.

"You blew up a tree?" asked Twilight confused.

Jason was about to answer the question when a powerful roar resounded throughout the area making him demand in fear, "What the h… What in the world is THAT?!" The young man noticed a large entity approaching them from the general direction of Fluttershy's cottage. There were two smaller presences chasing the large entity. Pegasi from the feel of it.

"That would be a bloody dragon!" roared the Scottish sounding major with an angry glare. "Lt. Fury Lance, get Her Majesty and Lady Sparkle to safety!"

The regal figure of the ebony alicorn stomped a frustrated hoof into the ground and bellowed in the Royal Canterlot Voice, "NO! WE SHALL STAY HERE! IT IS TIME FOR THESE DRAGONS TO KNOW THEIR PLACE! THERE WILL BE NO DEBATE!"

Major Four Blades gained something similar to a smirk though the scar prevented it from forming completely. "Aye, Your Majesty!" he acknowledged and turned to the incoming red adult dragon. It is too late to evacuate anypony now since the dragon can easily pick off the stragglers. "Twilight, Miss Dash, Mr. Nalick, stay together and out of the fighting!"

Jason saw the two pegasi chasing the dragon now, and identified them as two more of the Night Guard. I wonder if this Royal Night Guard is anything like the Secret Service back home, thought the young man idly as he watched the seen unfold as he wheeled over to where Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle were standing.

"I'm not afraid of any dragon!" roared Rainbow Dash as she started to take off into the air toward the monstrosity, but Twilight— not being able to think of another option— hastily used a sleep spell that made her friend collapse into a sound sleep and mid-stride. Twilight briefly mumbled an apology and used her telekinesis to move the cyan pegasus behind Princess Luna and the major where her and Jason were located.

The large red dragon landed around 300 lengths away. It had thick battle-scarred scales, golden eyes, and sickly yellow carnivorous teeth. Around its neck was a golden medallion the falls right over its heart. The two guards that had been chasing the dragon finally land near the major and nearly collapsed in exhaustion so clearly dragons could fly fast.

"STATE THY BUSINESS WITH US! WE HAVE OTHER MATTERS WE ARE ATTENDING TO!" stated Princess Luna in the Royal Canterlot Voice once again.

"My name is Sickle Scale! I want my son, Ragged Scale, back! Your guards have taken him from me!" roared the dragon angrily.

"Sir, your son broke a serious law!" called out Major Blades, "He has been hunting the animals that take residence in our farms! You need to appeal your case with a formal letter!"

"Appeal my case?! Dragons are starving and you want me to appeal my case?!" demanded Sickle Scale with fire starting to sputter out of his mouth in anger. "You ponies infuriate me!"

"THE ELDER DRAGON COUNCIL HAS SAID NOTHING OF THIS! IF AID IS WHAT THE DRAGON POPULATION NEEDS, THEY NEED ONLY ASK! THY RACE HATH BEEN A LONG STANDING ALLY TO MY KIND! WE WILL NOT ABANDON THY KIND!" stated Princess Luna with as sincere of tone as the Voice would allow.

"Enough of this!" bellowed the dragon, "You think they have not tried time and time again?! You royal ponies have yet to send a reply! No, now we take things into our own hands!" Sickle Scale flew up into the air and dive bombed towards the group of ponies and one human.

Jason turned his attention to the winged unicorn now as he felt an eminence energy emanating from her. She seemed taller and thinner now, with more armor too. Her horn and eyes glow a brilliant astral blue, and her wings were outstretched

I have to draw that! thought the pale teen as he his attention again shifted to the dragon as it crashed into the ground with the blue aura of the winged unicorn surrounding it. Sickle Scale struggled as if gravity had been magnified to immobilize him, but slowly the dragon continued his crawl toward the regal figure with blind rage. "You will return my son to me!" the dragon roared in fury.

"WE WILL DO NO SUCH THING, DRAGON! HE HAST BROKEN A LAW AS NOW HATH THEE! DO THOU THINK ONE SIMPLY CAPTURE'ST A HOSTAGE FOR EXCHANGE FOR A PRISONER?! THY FOOLISHNESS IS AGGRAVATING!" bellowed the Princess of the Night.

But that was not what caught Jason's attention, it was a sudden power that erupted from a medallion around the dragon's neck that seemed to make the winged unicorn's spell disappear. Sickle Scale laughed as he stood and said, "How does it feel to have your own magic used against you, Night Mare Moon?!" His voice seemed different now layered, tinnier, and somehow younger.

"How?!" struggled the Princess, still standing, as she tried to release her spell, but it was not just a simple reflection spell it seemed.

"Luna!" gasped Twilight in horror before turning to the dragon. "Leave us alone, Sickle Scale! You have no right to do this!" shouted Twilight as she attempted a negation spell on the medallion, but to her confusion nothing happens.

"Hah! You think an little unicorn like you can stop the Elder Dragon Sage medallion?! I stole this from the Elder Dragon Council, so there's no way you can stop me!"

"Twi, stay back, lassie. We got this," said the Night Guard major as he turned to Lt. Lance and the corporals. "Formation: Wing Vector!"

They all nodded in unison and took to the air separating into three different directions. Jason followed the presences that were out of his line of sight closely. The two from earlier flew in opposite directions close to the ground arching around to hit the dragon from behind as the major and the forth guard flew straight toward Sickle Scale. The major flexed the joint just above his hooves, known as fetlocks, and blades on each folded out from their armored shield-like sheaths and the other pegasus readied his spear as he grasped it with the same joints in the forelegs.

The dragon fired a fireball at the two ponies, but they dodged to the side and the major preformed a cartwheel like maneuver that only ended up doing superficial damage to the dragon's right shoulder, Lt. Lance went after the tendons in the dragon's legs only to do superficial damage as well.

"Something's not right!" mumbled Major Blades as he tried another series of four-dimensional slashes, stabs, and shield bashes while dodging Sickle Scale's claws and fire. "I should of at least done some damage by now! If only Thunderstorm had more sense in him, that golden eyed…!" the major huffed as he noticed the medallion again. Gold! Maybe if I get to that medallion…

Lt. Lance dodged another fireball and noticed that the twin corporals have changed direction mumbling, "So, they've noticed it too." The senior guards met back up already realizing that the medallion had to go first. "Go tier, and I'll go zeal," said the major in guard short-hand.

Lt. Lance flew downward and around the dragon while Major Blades flew straight up to the dragons jaw and bucked it in the chin as the blades retracted so he did not break them. The blunt blow proved much more effective, dazing Sickle Scale for a few moments as Lt. Lance used his spear like a staff and slammed it into the dragon with all his might in the back of the knee. This made the dazed dragon stagger for long enough for the twin corporals to fly in with sparks of static electricity starting to spark around them and hooves outstretched.

Then, Jason, Luna, and Twilight watched in horror as in just a few seconds the dragon flapped it mighty wings hitting both of the corporals with a bone shattering impact. Then, Sickle Scale used his tail to catch the guard that had hit his knees and threw Lt. Lance into the ground. Major Blades was then caught in the dragons mighty grasp.

"You will make a tasty meal, General Blades!"

Princess Luna struggled to move forward, to do something, but she only managed a few steps before Rainbow Dash woke up. The cyan pegasus blinked sleepily for a moment, but immediately opened her eyes wide when she saw the dragon. Her memory rushed back to her and spotted the major's certain doom. Then, Rainbow Dash immediately flew up into the air before anypony could stop her. She reached half the speed of sound over just a handful of lengths before she collided full force into the dragon's stomach making him release the Night Guard major and fall to the ground. The major reacted quickly to the fire building in the Sickle Scale's mouth by opening his wings and shoving the dazed mare out of the way before being hit with the fireball himself.

This made everypony's heart stop as the Major crashed into the ground smoking and did not move again.

Twilight was too stunned to speak, but Princes Luna roared, "THOU WRETCHED CREATURE! FIGHT US LIKE A REAL DRAGON! THOU ARE A COWARD!" She started to slowly step forward, but her determination did not let her stop. If she can get close enough, she could short-out the medallion's enchantment, and she was certain that Sickle Scale did not know the medallion's faults.

Jason on the other hand felt absolutely useless. There is nothing he could do, not even if we was healthy. Trying to be useful, he wheeled over to Rainbow Dash to see if she was injured. He found her laying on the ground unconscious, and her left wing was pointing at an unnatural angle. Well I guess I can always be a field medic Jason half-heartedly thought as he checked her pulse to make sure she was alive before examining the wing. Who the hell am I trying to kid? I'm fucking useless!

Suddenly, Jason felt a pulse of energy erupt from Twilight's presence. He looked up to see her launch a bolt of magenta energy from her horn and heard her yell, "You fiend! How dare you!" The bolt impacted the red dragon and made him stagger backwards. Though tears were running down her face, she launched another bolt, and another, and another slowly moving forward with each bolt until her uncle's body was at her hooves while completely oblivious to how much she was hampering Princess Luna's plan.

Initially startled by the bolts of energy from the teary eyed lavender unicorn, Sickle Scale braced himself for the next one and started to walk calmly forward. "Oh, you almost had me scared there, my little pony," chuckled the dragon's gravelly voice with a grin. "You should learn to respect your elders more."

Twilight fell to her knees from the effort she had put into those bolts. The bolts had the power to destroy whole buildings, but yet they could not even scratch the dragon or harm the medallion. For once, even the power of friendship was not an option. The situation seemed lost and hopeless.

"Twilight! Get out of there!" called Jason desperately hoping she would run, teleport, melt into thin air, do something.

Twilight glanced heavily at her newest friend, the human named Jason, pleading for her to move, to run, to do something. However, before she could, the dragon snatched her and laughed. "So, even Princess Celestia's protégé is powerless to stop me! Maybe I should take Equestria for myself then and get rid of all these pesky ponies after all!"

Twilight looked defiantly into the dragon's large eyes, "You're no dragon! You're a monster!"

The dragon squeezed and a few sickening pops were heard as Twilight screamed in agony.

"Twilight!" grunted Princess Luna as she started to move a little faster hoping she would not be too late.

Jason stared at the dismal scene numbly. The day had been so happy and nice. He met new ponies and made a new friend. Twilight had promised him that everything would be alright and that she would find a cure for him. Rarity had brought him new clothes. The young man felt his mind begin to slip. How could all of this gone so wrong? He looked at the dragon, and a crack formed in the iron casing around his heart. Time slowed as Jason started to hear his heartbeat, and the heat of rage burn inside him like an active volcano. This dragon made all of this happen! he thought as he yelled out, "PUT HER DOWN YOU DISGRACE TO YOUR RACE!" He noted his voice sounded desperate, deeper, distorted, and demonic as it was enhanced by whatever force made it so loud, but did not care. He had gained the dragon's attention.

"So the pet speaks!" chuckled Sickle Scale with a grin that Jason could only think of as evil. The red dragon squeezed Twilight again making her cry out in pain. "Watch your master squirm, pet!"

Princess Luna glanced at the human curiously as she continued to make her way toward the dragon with a little more ease. Mr. Nalick is a-distracting the dragon for Us! Then, she noticed a glowing fissure in the casing around his emotions start to create more cracks, fissures, and tears with a radiating power squirming underneath crying to get out, and she made a second frightening realization, He is about to lose control! If one more…

Another cry from Twilight sounded as the dragon started to crush her again, and a red glow enveloped Jason Tiberius Nalick as he floated up into the air a ball of energy in his left hand. He bellowed only one word, "NO!!!"

The following beam of red energy that ripped through the medallion along with the torso of the dragon became as legendary as the mythical rainboom that had connected the Elements of Harmony years before. The bright red beam could be seen within fifty trots in the midday sun during those few seconds it existed. Then, the beam and glow around Jason dissipated as he fell back into the wheelchair seemingly unconscious and steam rising off his body.

Sickle Scale stared at his chest in horror as he released the lavender unicorn from his claw before falling to the ground as a pile of ash.

Luna, now free from…


"Wait! I've never heard of him committing dracocide! It was Major Blades that slain that corrupted dragon, and that red light is just a mare's tale! This is fiction!" proclaimed Princess Astra in triumph as she scrambled to her hooves quite inelegantly, "I need no longer to hear this drivel, you old fart!"

Scholar Quill raised a brow and said in his usual soft tone, "Then how else do you describe the Dragon Ash Sentinel at the Crossing? Their Majesties ordered it be crafted as a reminder of what stealing and blind ambition will eventually bring to those that fall to the temptation."

"Well… The dragon's medallion recoiled and turned it to ash, and the sentinel is a tribute to Major Blade's bravery," said the Princess in a less sure tone with a slight bite to her lower lip and a backward turning of her ears under the stares of the elder and Shining Star.

"Who told you that, Astra?" asked Shining with a confused look on his muzzle.

"Tis a story the Canterlot ponies fabricated to make seem an outsider is nothing when comparedeth to one of Equestria," said a regal voice behind the small alicorn making her jump.

"Queen Luna!" chirped Shining with glee as he energetically stood bowing to the night-bearing alicorn.

Scholar only bowed his head saying, "Forgive me for not standing, Your Majesty. My legs are bothering me more than usual." He examined the adult alicorn. Luna had grown a lot in the years since her release from Night Mare Moon both in emotional maturity and wisdom the the help of her sister, Princess Celestia. However, there seemed to be an unusually sad air around the alicorn princess tonight which worried him.

"Tis fine, Sir Quill. Thou needest not bow to I," said Luna with a slight nod of acknowledgment before looking at the small maroon colt, "And, Shining Star, how many times have I told thee to call me, Princess Luna?"

Shining stood erect chirping with an innocent smile, "Because technically you are a queen!"

Certainly Twilight Sparkle's son. Luna could not help but chuckle a little at the young unicorn's admiration of her. "That I may be, but I take that title not. Because while I am hitched now, that title maketh me sound higher than my sister which I am not and do not want to be, my little pony. Is that enough explanation for thou?" fondly replied the adult alicorn.

"Yes, Princess Luna," answered Shining as he continued smiling.

"As much as you smile, cousin, one would think you'd be the next Element of Laughter," sneered Princess Astra with a bored tone.

Luna stared at her daughter in disapproval scolding, "Astral Plane! What have I told you about a-being kind, respectful, and humble unto others?! Just because ye art my daughter mak'st you not any better than any other being! Seize this foalishness at once!"

Astra recoiled from the scolding diverting her eyes from her mother's aquamarine gaze. "But…"

"DO NOT BUT ME!" bellowed Luna in the Royal Canterlot Voice with a glow of her horn that caused everypony in to room to shut their eyes.

A second or so passed and the light dimmed allowing the occupants of the room to open their eyes.

Astra shrieked in horror as she opened her eyes to see that both her horn and wings were gone.

Scholar Quill immediately turned a disapproving gaze to the Princess of the Night saying politely, "With respect, Your Majesty, this too harsh a punishment I find."

"Tis called 'tough love', Sir Quill, and thou would find not this harsh if thee knew some of her deeds in Canterlot," replied Luna with a stony expression, "When I sent Astra here to spend time with her cousin, this is what was agreed on. I have already made the arrangements with Shining Star's parents."

"But what about my horn and wings?! I'm just an earth pony now!" cried the midnight blue filly between sobs as Shining Star walked up to her.

"Hey! I have plenty of friends that are earth ponies! They can do lots of stuff I can't! Hey! Since you're staying here with me, you can join the Cutie Mark Crusaders! We'll have so much fun!" chirped the energetic colt with a genuine and kind smile still on his face as he started to hop around the former alicorn.

"But I'm a princess! I'm supposed to be powerful! I won't be associated with any lowly…!"

"ASTRAL PLANE! THAT IS ENOUGH!" angrily bellowed the midnight blue alicorn. Luna stared at her teary eyed daughter making sure her wish was being followed before nuzzling the filly's neck and continuing with a comforting tone, "Astra, the events ye hast caused of late hath given many ponies in Canterlot much grief…"

"I'm sorry, mom… I really am…" interrupted her daughter with pleading eyes.

It broke the regal being's heart to see her daughter in such a fashion, but stoically she continued on, "I know, Astra, but ye dost not yet understand. With great power comes great responsibility. Ye must learn this first. Ye must make friends and let them teach you kindness, generosity, laughter, loyalty, and honesty. Only then will ye obtain your former form. Ye must do as Twilight Sparkle did and undergo the study of the Magic of Friendship."

Astra gawked at her mother with an expression that was a cross between disbelief and disgust. "That sappy old stuff?!"

Luna chuckled. "Yes, my silly filly. There is a reason ponykind followest 'that sappy old stuff'. It was a-being taught well before the actual Elements were even discovered. Now, I will leave the rest up to you and your friends ye will meet in time, but here is my one assignment: read or be read Sir Quill's book. Tis for your benefit. I will sit with you three for the rest of this chapter before I must attend my duties." Then, a cushion materialized under the alicorn with a brief glow of her horn before sitting down.

The filly nodded sadly as moved her cushion next to her mother. Astra did not know what hurt worse: being stripped of her powers or being separated from her mother, but at the moment sharing the precious little time with her mother was all that matters to her.

As Shining Star sat on his cushion, Scholar Quill picked back up the book asking, "Where was I?"

"Sickle Scale had just turned to ash," Shining answered eagerly.

"Ah, yes, here we are. I'll go back a little bit to get ourselves back on track," stated Scholar Quill as he cleared his throat and began, "The following beam…"


…of red energy that ripped through the medallion along with the torso of the dragon became as legendary as the mythical rainboom that had connected the Elements of Harmony years before. The bright red beam could be seen within fifty trots in the midday sun during those few seconds it existed. Then, the beam and glow around Jason dissipated as he fell back into the wheelchair seemingly unconscious and steam rising off his body.

Sickle Scale stared at his chest in horror as he released the lavender unicorn from his claw before falling to the ground as a pile of ash.

Luna, now free from the medallion's hex, reverted to her normal form and galloped towards the falling unicorn catching Twilight in mid-air with her magic. Twilight, surprisingly still conscious, turned her head to the ebony alicorn and painfully asked, "What happened?"

Luna examined the young mare with a scanning spell and breathed a sigh of when it revealed only a few broken ribs and bruising. She quickly casted a bone melding spell to fix her broken ribs before setting the unicorn on the ground saying, "Not now, check on thine uncle, and I'll must attend unto the human."

Jason was experiencing something odd. He was hearing two ethereal tunes that seemed to make up everything. One was joy, life, and light and the other was sadness, judgment, and the absence of light. He was floating in some type of void, but he could still hear the commotion going on outside.

Twilight nodded worriedly and headed towards her uncle while Luna galloped towards the human. He is slipping! she thought urgently as she reached the human. It was painfully obvious the man had experienced a magic overload from the severe nose bleed, but that was not what concerned her. Surprisingly though, the human woke up and said, "I hear the songs."

"Yes, now stay with Us. Where is thy home town?" asked Luna as she started to anchor the human's mind to his body again.

Jason Nalick looked at the beautiful winged unicorn with his half-conscious gaze lazily and replied, "In a city to the east of where I was living. It is called Albany."

"Good," encouraged the winged unicorn as she continued anchoring, "Who was thy best friend?"

"His name was Fred. He was killed in the rebellion along with the others. I was forced to watch." Jason's eyes seem more lucid and clear now. The anchor was taking hold.

"We are sorry for thy loss, but how art thee a-feeling?" encouraged Luna trying to have Mr. Nalick's mind make a connection to his body.

Jason's eyes, though glazed with exhaustion, returned to their normal state as he said, "I still have several broken bones and what appears to be a nose bleed. I also am feeling very tired. So if, you would not mind, Your Highness, I would like to get some shut eye." Then, he shut his eyes.

Princess Luna shook Mr. Nalick's uninjured shoulder with her hoof. "Thou canest not sleep yet! Thou art a-experiencing magical exhaustion, and it will pass momentarily. For now, stay with Us, because if thou dost not, thou will lose thyself."?

Jason opened his eyes with anger seeping into his voice as he demanded, "What do you mean 'lose myself'?"

Though Princess Luna disliked the tone of Mr. Nalick's voice, she decided to let it slide explaining, "When one expends the entire amount of magic one has, one experiences not only complete exhaustion, but also the being starts to experience a slide into the realm of the ethereal. A realm which thine fractured mind already slipped into once. If thou falls back asleep, then it is possible a ethereal being may notice thee, devour thine mind, and take control of thine body."

"Is that the only reason you seem to care?! Because some demon could threaten your empire?!" snapped Jason and immediately regretted doing so.

Princess Luna glared at him with an angered expression. "THAT IS PART OF IT! WE DO NOT WISH TO SEE OUR SUBJECTS SUFFER, NOR DO I WANT ANOTHER BEING EXPERIENCE THE TORTURE THAT I DID, SUBJECT OR NOT!" Her muzzle was almost touching Jason's nose, and her aquamarine eyes were burning into him.

Jason instantly bowed his head in fear stammering, "I—I'm s-sorry, Your Highness! I—I am! I was scared and angry! I didn't mean it!" The young man did not dare raise his head, would not dare raise his eyes, and just stared straight down hoping it was all a bad dream. This is all some nightmare! All of it!

He noticed the winged unicorn shift slightly, but he did not dare even thinking about looking up. What happened next though shocked him. The winged unicorn princess nuzzled the young man's good shoulder. He could think of no other possibility that the gesture was one of forgiveness, quite an intimate one on human standards, and even more yet for Jason who disliked being touched by others. Then again this is in a foreign world with ponies being, at least in this region, the dominate species. Of course, ponies do not have hands so it only makes sense that they would nuzzle, or something of the kind, instead. I am just being a retard. I still can't think of this as reality though. I have to be fucking dreaming.

As Princess Luna backed away, she noticed Jason's unease and explained, "It is both a sign of gratitude and of forgiveness, Mr. Nalick. Thou hast no need for alarm."

Jason nodded tiredly. The drowsiness has taken a hold again as his adrenaline ran out of him. "I do not know why gratitude, but I think you nevertheless, Your Highness."

"There shall be more time to talk at a later time. For now, We must attend to Our guards. Remember to stay awake," said the ebony alicorn as she walked away toward the place where Twilight's uncle was laying. Not knowing what else to do, Jason wheeled over to Rainbow Dash to see if he could help any. It would be hard to stay awake, but the stimulus should help.

As the Princess of the Night approached, Twilight peered up with a ecstatic expression. "Luna! He's okay! He's not even hurt!"

Puzzled by what the young unicorn had relayed and worrying for her mental stability, Princess Luna's trot became a canter stopping less than a length away to find that Major Four Blades was indeed seemingly unharmed besides some burnt fur and a few scorch marks on his armor. The middle-age pegasus Royal Night Guard suddenly propped himself up on one foreleg and began coughing mightily.

"Major Blades, how…?" started the princess, but was interrupted by an object falling from around the major's neck onto a rock.

"That bloody dragon… wasn't only… one with… a medallion," wheezed Major Blades with a smug smile in between coughing fits, "Is… everypony alright?"

"Major!" called out a voice from a few lengths away. The three ponies looked up to see Lt. Thunderstorm streaking toward them with Fluttershy not far behind.

"Twi! Jay! RD!" proclaimed another voice from the opposite direction, the three ponies along with the newly awoken cyan pegasus and Jason turn to see Applejack and Big Macintosh galloping toward them stopping about the same time the two pegasi land.

"What in tarnation happened here?! We heard a dragon roarin', 'n' then some type-o-explosion!" asked Applejack not even fazed by the gallop.

"Let's just say the dragon fought us, but its magic medallion had a bug in it," drowsily said Jason matter-of-factly as he pointed to the still smoldering pile of ash.

"Do not be so modest, Mr. Nalick. Thou art the one who fired the pulse of magic that saved us," said Princess Luna as she nodded in gratitude.

"I thought you didn't have magic! Why'd you lie to us?!" confronted Rainbow Dash as she stared down Jason.

Applejack put a hoof on the cyan pegasus's shoulder. "Whoa there, Rainbow. He jus found out earlier when a tree nearly crushed him."

"It's alright, AJ. I can defend… my…self?" asked Jason confused as he looked around to see no one or pony around, and instead of the battle-torn field, he was standing on what seemed to be a… nebula?

"What the fuck?" asked Jason as he looked around. There were clouds of space gas and dust all around him and beyond that was an endless field of stars on all sides. Now, he was positive that everything he had experienced since that day at his home was a dream. There was no way he could be out in the middle of space without exploding from his body's internal pressure, and there was no possible way he could have gotten into space from the situation he was, or thought he was, just in a few seconds ago.

"Okay! I get it! Take me to the damn loony house already!" yelled Jason with his hands cupped around his mouth for extra distance. Only nothing sounded back, not even an echo.

"Oh damn it all!" yelled Jason in disgust as he stomped his foot on the nebula only to have part of it break off. "Oh shit!" he stammered as he crawled away from the edge until he had gotten to a more diagonal and solid portion of the nebula. He was not afraid of heights, far from it, but the thought of falling forever rattled him to the core.

He took a moment and calmed his breathing. I must be fucking bonkers now! thought the young man in disgust as he laid back with his hands behind his head watching the stars. It was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. Never had he been able to see star fields so clearly before.

Then, he noticed something odd about the stars. They were all different hues and shades and little string filaments seemed to attach some to others. Then, he noticed that he too had faint filaments stringing out from him. The three most prominent connecting to an astral blue star, a lavender star, and the final and strongest string— which is silver— went far out into another direction outside his field of vision. He stared at it for a moment before saying, "Brother, it's you."

Then, he stood and examined the other stars again. The lavender one was Twilight, and the blue was Princess Luna. Then, a realization hit him: he was in the ethereal realm. His once thoughtful stare was now replaced by fear. Panic started to set in, but he fought it. Trying to think of any way to get himself back into his body, he noticed a dark shadow behind him. He dared not turn around for the shadow was of nothing he had ever seen before. He bolted just as the shadow figure bit down where he once was. Not giving himself time to think, he instinctively jumped off the nebula and let himself fall. The creature did not go any farther than the edge of the nebula.

The terrible feeling of falling did not come. It was a comforting feeling, warm and soft like the old comforter blanket on his couch. He shifted his right arm and felt the material. It is real, physical, malleable. It's a real blanket. I'm home. It was all just a dream after all, Jason thought in relief as he snuggled into the mattress then noted, It smells odd. Feminine. Jason always had an impeccable sense of smell, not like a dog or cat, but he could tell the difference between the smells of different people and genders. Some people thought oddly of him for it, but he had not cared. It was simply another one of his strange talents. My mind is just playing tricks one me, he comforted himself as he snuggled deeper into the comforters.

Eventually though, he determined he could not sleep and opened his eyes. The first thing he saw was a sleeping country town at night with the stars and moon shinning from the enormous second story window. Briefly, he wondered what was to the other side of him and turned over to see rows of an innumerable amount books in the walls of the building he was in. He stared at the scene before him thoughtfully. He supposed it could be a personal heaven of some sort, but he almost immediately threw away that possibility. For one, his body still ached, and two, he would definitely not want to walk around his personal heaven naked.

Or at least, he thought he was naked. It was hard to tell with most of his senses were as dulled as they were. He could not even sense his own presence right now. He shifted onto his other side again and stared out the window to the small hamlet. Briefly, he wondered what time it was, and how long he had been laying there. Not long obviously since the owner's smell was still there. Considering he had not gotten a chance to bathe or shower yet if this is the same world he had killed the dragon in, he guessed a few hours at the most. Either way, he was not in his own home. The realization hurt; it hurt a lot, and what hurt worse was the possibility he may never see his home again.


Scholar Quill marked the place in the tome and closed it saying, "All I have for today it is, for night will be arriving shortly. So, what have we learned from today's story, my little ponies?"

Shining Star raised a hoof, and the elder pony chuckled, "Raise your hoof you need not, Shining Star. This is an open discussion."

"Um, well I learned not to magically exhaust yourself because it can lead to horrible mental and physical fatigue that can lead you to slip into the ethereal plane and become possessed."

The navy blue elder nodded. "Good. Now what about you, Astra?"

The now earth pony peered around the room for several moments before her ears drooped and she said softly, "That anypony can feel alone, no matter how powerful they are."

Princess Luna nuzzled her filly fondly saying, "That is absolutely correct, Astra. Everypony feeleth lonely eventually, and power, fame, money mattereth not without friends. Remember that, my silly filly." Then, the Princess of the Night stood and gave a goodbye nod saying, "I am sorry to cut this short, but I must go raise the moon soon."

"Aw, already? You just got here," whined Shining Star.

A few pops and cracks were heard as Scholar Quill stood shakily for a few moments getting the kinks out of his joints. He nudged Shining in the side with a humorous smile. "Now, colt, no whining. That's Snooty Popkins's job."

The maroon unicorn colt chuckled at the mention of his snobby classmate, but Astra paid them no mind as she hugged her mother and said, "Goodbye, mom. I'll miss you."

Luna hugged her filly back in sight amazement. "I will miss you as well, my silly filly. Be good." She had never seen her daughter act this way before so caring and not distant like she always seemed to be. Maybe it was for the best. After all, Father did it to us as well, thought Luna as she hesitantly broke the embrace. Then, the Princess of the Night stood tall saying to all three ponies, "I bid you farewell. Tis time for my departure. I cannot abandon my duties. May'st you have a wonderful night."

Scholar Quill and Shining Star gave the customary goodbye bow as the Princess of the Night melted into one of the shadows of the room and disappeared. Astra stared into the shadow in despair. Her mother had gone, and now she felt completely alone."

She felt a hoof touch her shoulder and she turned to see Shining Star with that innocent happy-go-lucky grin on his face. "It's alright, Astra! Your mother my have to go, but I'm sure she'll stop by to visit! Besides you still have me, I'm family too you know! This is going to be so much fun!" chirped the maroon colt with his usual bubbling enthusiasm.

"Can one of you little ponies help me up? I'm having a bit of trouble over here," grunted the elder suck in a kneeling position.

"Yeah, no problem," said Astra as she helped the elder up with a bit of effort. He may of been old, but he still had a lot of muscle from his years traveling.

"Many appreciations, little one. A good first step that is," said the elder with a smile.

-X-X-X-

Luna burst forth from the shadow into her room with tears in her eyes. How much she just wanted to go hug her filly and give Astral Plane her wings and horn back. But the spell had been cast, and it was now up the her daughter to earn her appendages back. She let herself fall onto her large bed and cry into her pillow. Slowly, the crying seized and she simply laid on the bed sorrowfully. It would be time to raise the moon in fifteen minutes her internal clock told her. The divine alicorn took the brush off her dresser and fixed her fur, mane, and tail. Then, Princess Luna straightened her jewelry and decorative armor before teleporting herself to the highest tower of Canterlot Castle.

There, she found her sister Celestia already waiting for her. Her sister was not there to lower the sun, she knew, that had already been started almost an hour ago. No, she was there to comfort her. Her sister knew of the painful choice that Luna and her husband had come to and had helped with the preparations. Needing to start the raising of the moon and begin the night, the ebony alicorn chose to ignore her sister for the moment and stepped onto the balcony to start the millennium-old ritual.

Princess Celestia watched her sister carefully, not with distrust, but with concern. She knew the pain that Luna was going through. She had never had to seal her foal's powers, but that was because she never had any foals. No, she had to seal her own sister for a thousand years with no contact whatsoever. And while time had stopped for Luna due to Night Mare Moon, Celestia had no such privilege and had to endure the millennium by herself. But there was the comfort that Luna was not herself when sealed away, Astra on the other hoof was still the same filly she was only yesterday. Celestia could only imagine the torture the maternal instincts were wreaking upon her sister at the moment. In the end, Celestia believed Luna had a much more painful situation then she herself did.

As Luna stepped from the balcony, the white alicorn with the ethereal sunrise hued mane greeted her with a nod saying, "I'm sorry, my sister. I know it is painful for you."

"I thank you for your concern, sister," said Luna looking at the floor. "I know now how you must have felt when ye had to seal I."

Celestia put a comforting hoof on her sister's shoulder. "I assure you, Luna. Astra is a smart and kind filly at heart. It will not take her a millennium to learn what it means to be a friend and gain her powers back. You know Twilight and her husband will take care of her. Now come, I have a story to tell." The white alicorn let her hoof fall and started down the stairs

With a curious expression, Luna followed. Her sister always had an interesting story to tell.