• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 1,531 Views, 36 Comments

Far is the Star Called Sol - Omnicron25



Jason is dropped into Equestria, literally. His ventures are read by a filly trying to right a wrong

  • ...
9
 36
 1,531

4 - Surprises of Exploration

Far is the Star Called Sol
Chapter 4: Surprises of Exploration

At the Ponyville Library, Twilight Sparkle was becoming impatient. First, Princess Celestia had yet to give a response to the urgent letter, and second, Fluttershy was late. Pacing back and forth, Twilight was starting to worry more over her friend now since Fluttershy was now over an hour late.

"Twilight, Fluttershy is fine! It's only been one hour and five minutes! Not everypony is going to be right on time!" announced Spike in annoyance as he attempted to calm her down. Unfortunately for him, the young dragon had hit a nerve.

Twilight glared at him with anger. "Spike, I…" Then, he started to pat his chest vigorously and seemed to be choking. Her expression suddenly turned from smoldering anger to immediate concern. "Spike! What is…?"

Suddenly, a large belch rang out in the room, and a rolled up scroll materialized from the fire that erupted from the young dragon's mouth. The scroll fell to the floor and Spike wheezed with a dazed look on his face. "I… think… that… is for you."

"What have I told you about eating ice cream when you are expecting a letter?" scolded Twilight with a huff. "You really scared me, Spike!"

"I know! I know!" yelled Spike with his usual pep seeming to have already miraculously recovered. "I just didn't think it would be this soon."

Twilight rolled her eyes as she used her magic to pick-up the scroll and unroll it revealing the script inside:

My most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle,

I am terribly sorry for the delay, but this is a matter both Luna and I had to discuss. If what you say is true, then once Mr. Jayson Tieberius Nalick has recovered I would like to have an audience with him. Luna will arrive soon for a preliminary meeting. She is concerned that the human is manipulating you. But rest assured, I believe Mr. Nalick does not have malicious intentions, and I hope my sister feels the same after meeting him in person. However, I do not yet fully trust that Mr. Nalick will not attempt some malicious act in the future, so I would like you and your friends to observe him closely. I also believe it is best that he stays at Fluttershy's cabin so he can exposed to the rest of the population in a more gradual manner. This is as much for him as the ponies in Ponyville and should reduce the culture shock for Mr. Nalick and help the residence of Ponyville accept him at their own pace.

Concerning the matter of Mr. Nalick's health, I have enclosed in this scroll another sheet with a spell that should slow his body's degradation rate while you attempt to find a cure for his thyroid deficiency. When I read your update on his condition regarding how his body would feed on itself, I regretted having to see a being with such a terrible ailment. However, I decree that no attempts be made to return Mr. Nalick to his home. The space-time fabric has not recovered from the incident that brought him here, and the scientists at the Academy fear that it is too unstable to even use the Elements of Harmony.

We shall discuss more on this matter when you and Mr. Nalick arrive here in Canterlot when he is well enough to walk. I do stress that only you and Mr. Nalick are to come to Canterlot Castle for the meeting, but the others can accompany you as far as the city if they so wish. I wish you and your friends the best of luck.

Princess Celestia

Twilight blinked in surprise. The event that had brought Jason here caused the space-time fabric to become so fragile that it was too dangerous to even use the Elements? It shocked Twilight to think a single seeming small event could cause such damage. In fact, it scared her to think what Jason could do if he really did have magic, and he was just manipulating them for his own ends. She instantly shook her head at the very thought of him betraying her and her friends trust and glanced at the second sheet of paper.

It was a fairly simple spell, but it required a lot of fine tuning, raw power, and concentration. So, no ordinary unicorn could do it, and only one on par with Twilight Sparkle could use this spell to any affect. The unfortunate part was the spell could only hold enough power in one session for one day, and the spell could not stack meaning if she cast it before the allotted time then the spell would just start anew with no extension from the previous session.

"So what does it say, Twilight?" asked Spike full with curiosity, but keeping his distance remembering the last time he read over Twilight's shoulder.

Twilight sighed knowing that withholding the information would be of no benefit. So, she gave Spike a condensed version while carefully leaving out the frailness of the space-time fabric and the fact the Elements could not be used right now.

"Sheesh, I was just wondering," complained Spike, "You didn't have to give me a lecture about it."

Twilight smiled deviously. "That's what I do best, Spike."

Spike rolled his eyes and taps his foot. "Yeah, I know. Believe me when I say sometimes I wish it wasn't."

The tension quickly dissolved into a small laugh on both sides and Twilight commented sarcastically, "Thanks, Spike."

Then, a knock sounded from the front door. "I'll get it. It's probably Fluttershy. How about you get some tea started for us since we'll be expecting Princess Luna too."

The young dragon nodded and started his way to the kitchen saying, "No problem."

Twilight used her magic to open the door to reveal that Fluttershy was indeed on the other side with a downcast and almost pleading look in her eyes. "I'm sorry about being so late, Twilight. P—Please don't be mad at me."

Twilight stepped aside letting the light yellow pegasus mare inside as she asked worriedly, "What happened, Fluttershy? Is Jason alright?"

Fluttershy instantly smiled responding, "Oh, yes. He is recovering very well. In fact, he can already get around on his own in the wheelchair you left for him. He was quite impressed with the flight balloon you put on it, and he told me to give you his thanks next time I saw you."

Twilight smiled with the news on how fast Jason was recovering along with a small hint of modest pride over her invention, but the smile quickly turned into a concerned expression. "You didn't tell him that you were coming here, did you?"

Fluttershy shook her head. "Oh no, I really didn't like doing it, but I lied and told him that I was checking the songbird population on the north edge of town. He seems to trust us completely though, and I just makes feel guilty to have to lie to him."

Twilight put a comforting hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder saying, "I just got a reply from the Princess so I'm glad you could make it."

Fluttershy blinks. "What did she say?"

Twilight took a deep breath not knowing how Fluttershy would take the news, and started with that Jason could not be sent home, or at least not at the present time. Twilight continued on to explain that Jason would be staying at Fluttershy's cottage, and that they had to observe Jason carefully to make sure that he would not do anything malicious in the future. Fluttershy attempted to say something in his defense, but Twilight simply raised her hoof and continued with the audience arranged with Celestia for Jason when he was able to walk before finishing with the imminent visit from Princess Luna.

At the mention of Princess Luna's visit, Fluttershy was struck with fear. "Ni—Nigh M—Mare Mo—Moon is coming here?!"

She attempted to bolt, but Twilight held her where she was with her magic and said sternly, "Fluttershy! Night Mare Moon is gone! Princess Luna is good! Do you not remember yourself? When she was changed from the aftermath of when we used the Elements of Harmony on her, or last Nightmare Night when Luna came to visit Ponyville? You weren't scared of her at my brother's wedding! She is not a pony to fear! Get a hold of yourself! She is not Night Mare Moon!"

"It is fine if she still yet feareth Us. For We have come to understand that one thousand years of thinking cannot become undone in one year," said a firm, but neutral voice from behind Twilight. Twilight turned with an excited glint in her eyes as she released Fluttershy and kneeled in front of the dark alicorn before her. Fluttershy simply hid under her hooves and shook in fear. The dark alicorn's expression softened, but sadness also became clear in her voice as she addressed the timid yellow mare, "Thou hast no need to fear Us for We will not devour thy soul, Element of Kindness. Therefore, thou hast no need to fear thy Princess of the Night."

Twilight decided to stay silent and watch as Fluttershy removed her hooves from over her eyes. The pegasus had an ashamed expression on her muzzle. "I—I'm sorry Princess. I was raised to fear Night Mare Moon, and I—I am still having trouble separating you from her."

Princess Luna nodded in understanding. "Ye two may rise. Now, Fluttershy, thou hast right to fear Night Mare Moon for what it represents: vengeance, envy, and jealousy that corrupteth the soul and make thee what thou art not. That is what happened unto Us… to me. And if twas not for thee, Twilight, and the other Elements, We… I would still be twisted and corrupted. I would be doomed to suffer for eternity. Take heart, for I fear Night Mare Moon also." Now the Princess of the Night was no longer brimming with power, stoicism, and strength but vulnerability. Her ears were now drooping, and her mane had fallen into her face.

Fluttershy approached the dark alicorn and put a comforting hoof on her shoulder. "I—I'm sorry all of those terrible things had happened to you, Princess. I—I was wrong to fear you, and I hope you're not mad at me."

The Night Princess's expression returned to its usual stoic neutral as she spoke again, "There are no hard feelings, Fluttershy. Thou may'st call me Luna if thee wishest, but my time is short, and I must begin my evaluation of the human before my duties of the night begin. Thou hast had the most contact with the human. So, I beseech to hear the story from thee so I have an indication of what to expect. Leave nothing out."

"Well… okay…" started Fluttershy as she began to tell of the time she had spent with the human known as Jason as Spike entered with the tea.

-X-X-X-

…but on another note, I believe that these ponies will become the friends in time. I just do not like the thought of them having to bury me after knowing me for such a short amount of time. I am interested in the culture here though. I have heard from Fluttershy that Twilight Sparkle lives in a library! That would be an amazing place to live! I could care less if I had to be the librarian!

I'm suspicious that all of this is a coma induced dream from finally arriving at a complete mental breakdown, but nothing is for certain anymore since I do not know if the is a dream or if I will ever awaken again. Anyway, I have no idea what purpose I have to serve here be it just to live, put my broken mind back together, or something else entirely. However, I have decided to help these ponies in any way I can before I expire, which I have no doubt will happen within the year if this is indeed reality. As much as I believe in Twilight Sparkle's intellect, she will simply not have the resources necessary to create an entirely new type of medicine before my time has come or the damage has progressed too far. I accept it though as I have since I became fully aware of my condition years ago, and enjoy the borrowed time I have left. I can only hope she can find a cure for her sake, because she seems the type to take failure hard, especially when trying to help others, and I can't say I really blame her. I can only hope she either finds a cure or this is just an elaborate dream. —End of Entry #1

Then, Jason Nalick placed it, along with the other two pieces of paper that currently made up his journal, into the cubby. He heaved a sigh and placed the pencil in a holder before folding the desktop back to the side.

The human sighed again and used his left hand to rub his eyes to help them unfocus from the intense concentration he had to use to write with his left hand. "At least I was using a pencil. I couldn't imagine having to use a pen, or a quill like Twilight for that matter," he absently muttered to himself as he started to look around at his surroundings boredly. Then, the bored teen started to think on that sightseeing trip he almost took earlier and began to entertain the idea a little more.

He pulled the desktop back over and retrieved a fresh piece of paper and his pencil from the cubby and proceeded to write a note in both the usual Latin alphabet and roughly guesstimated Equestrian written language. While he did not know if the Equestrian version exactly read what he intended, the words were simple enough to not have too many errors he hoped. In reality though, it said "Gong ot of u whale." instead of "Going out for a while." He closed the door with the paper wedged in the seal noting there was a flap at the bottom for the bunny to get out at the bottom.

"As long as I can find my way back and return before dark, I'm sure Fluttershy wouldn't mind. I just hope I don't run into something… lethal," Jason muttered again as he started on his way down the dirt road. My left arm is going to be awfully sore though.

The thought was quickly banished as they young man gazed upon the amazing scenery. He had lived in country areas all his life, but this world was so pure and unpolluted that he could only gawk at the beautiful green field of grass to his left and strong trees, that he suspected might be related to oaks, to his right. "I can rightly say I have fallen in love with this scenery, and this road is so secluded it is next to impossible for me to become lost. Too bad I can't jog or bicycle, the weather is perfect for it," Jason thought out-loud as he continued his way farther and farther away and took a right as he came to a fork in the road so he could use the forest as a constant landmark.

Behind him, however, a strong gust of wind from the Everfree Forest blew the sheet of paper from its place, and it slowly glided down to the shallow stream were it was washed away.

Eventually the forest gave way to an apple orchard, which made Jason instantly think of the old orchard he always when to in Albany and the handmade old fashioned apple butter that he used to spread on English muffins. The teen stopped figuring he had gone far enough as he rested in the shade of a dead tree on a hill to the left of him. He looked at the tree figuring it had to of been alive for at least a century or better just looking at the width of the massive trunk. Then, he glanced to the right and inspected the orchard and figures that the trees, while notably younger looking, have to be at least a generation old as well. Briefly, he wondered if the orchard was communal or family owned thinking that it was unlikely that a corporation would own such an old fashion looking orchard, but he supposed he could always ask Fluttershy. The human looked at the gate nearby to see an apple with the Equestrian symbols on either side of it. A thought also crossed his mind that the orange pony mare, though he could not remember her name at the moment, had also mentioned that she worked at an orchard of some kind.

Jason's thoughts were rudely interrupted as deep voice shouted, "INCOMING!" and the shadow from the dead tree started to get noticeably larger. He quickly glanced to the left and his heart sank knowing that it would be hopeless to move in time. So, the young man ducked his head down as he instinctively raised his left hand toward the tree to shield him from the impact, not that it would do much good, and squeezed his eyes shut waiting for the inevitable. His heart was beating so fast that he could almost say it hurt, but all Jason could think about was how much it is going to hurt and that he wished the tree would disappear. Suddenly, the outstretched hand felt like it was burning and some type of recoil pushed it back before the teen heard an enormous BANG as if lightning had just struck right next to him. The shockwave from the explosion was strong enough to nearly tip the wheelchair over.

Jason immediately looked up to see the burning shrapnel of what was once the massive dead tree in front of him, but the world was tinted red as if someone was holding up a transparent piece of plastic over his eyes, but the effect quickly subdued to nothing as the colors returned to normal. The human stared at the debris and muttered, "What the hell?"

He was so stunned that Jason failed to notice the large red pony with a farm yoke galloping towards him until it was right in front of him. Its short-cropped orange mane and tail seemed slightly in disarray, more than likely by the shockwave the explosion made, with tan hooves and a sliced open green apple with twinkles around it for his mark. It certainly seems more buff and masculine than all of the other ponies I've seen so far, and I'm sure that it was this pony's voice I heard. I must of scared the poor guy shitless, the teen thought uncomfortably, I wonder how it made the tree blow up. It doesn't seem to have a horn unless it's using a spell to conceal it, but why would it? Maybe it was using an explosive to destroy the tree and it just happened to tip over. Either way, I've been having really bad luck with trees. I hope I do not obtain a fear of trees, especially if this is just a coma induced dream.

The red pony seemed to be studying the human as much as Jason was studying it. Not that Jason was surprised, but it was a bit unnerving still. It was a massive pony compared to the mares though. And where they about equal Jason's height in the wheel chair, this big red one stood a good foot taller than the mares. Must be at least five foot. Damn, I would not want to get on this big guy's bad side, Jason thought with a twinge of humor, but then he realized he might very well have gotten on the big pony's bad side.

"Ya alright?" the big pony finally asked monotone with concern in his green eyes. His voice is definitely a deep male voice, and he has a Deep South accent too, but not quite Cajun, similar to the orange mare.

"Yes, I believe so. Are you okay?" the human replied politely in turn. Inside though, he was heaving a massive sigh of relief. I do not know how I could of protected myself if he was angry.

"Eeyup," the big pony replied simply with a heavy stress on the "e."

Jason nodded not knowing whether the big pony was slow or just shy, but the human was curious so he attempted to start a conversation, "So… I'm new around here, and… well, I'm unsure where I am. I know how to get back to where I'm staying. I'm just curious is all." The teen made a note to himself to brush up on his rhetoric and small talk skills since, in his opinion, he had just said one of the lamest and most awkward conversation starters he ever had.

"Sweet Apple Acres. Yer 'bout a trot 'n' 900 lengths from Ponyville," responded the red pony flatly.

Jason sighed. Of course they do not have the same measurement system as we do, he thought. Then, he got an idea and pulled a blank piece of paper out and wrote down the given measurement before inquiring, "I'm not familiar with your measurement system, so can you show me how long a length is?"

The red pony nodded and made a line in the dirt road. Jason inspected the line and made an educated guess that it was about six feet long and wrote the guesstimate down on the piece of paper before asking, "So how many lengths are in a trot then?"

"Fifteen-hundred," answered the red pony.

The teen did a few quick long hand multiplications and ended up at 2.73 miles. "So about two and three-quarters miles, I'm not sure if that's right, but it seems so. Anyway, thanks. You know, this orchard reminds me of my hometown. We had an apple orchard that made the best apple butter."

The red pony nodded in understanding before asking, "Who 'n'… what are ya?"

Jason sighed. "I'm sorry you must think I'm rude. I am what's known as a human. Um… we are sentient ape-like creatures that walk on two legs, but anyway my name is…"

"Jay! What in tarnation are ya doin' here?" asked a familiar southern accented voice behind the human. Jason turned the chair to see the orange mare from before staring angrily at him from the gate with a small yellow pony with red mane with a pink bow and a red tail. "I thought Twilight said it would take ya another week ta be out moving again?"

Jason made a nonchalant twist with his good hand and said, "If I stayed in that bed any longer I would've done gone bonkers. I jus can't stand it. This fellow was a big help though. He saved me from a falling tree somehow and gave me a base to use for my measurement system conversions."

"Ya saved him from the tree? How'd the tree blow up ta start with? I thought you were jus gonna buck it," asked the young yellow pony her orange eyes brimming with curiosity.

The big red one shook his head. "Ah bucked it. He used magic."

"You have magic?!" asked the yellow pony enthusiastically.

"Why did ya lie ta us, Jay? We wouldn't of thought any different of ya," asked the orange mare who Jason just now was able to place as Applejack. Her expression was slightly hurt though which made him feel like an asshole even though he was positive he did not have magic. This exchange, however, made the red pony glare at Jason angrily which caused the human to shrink a little.

"Look, I've never had magic, and I'm positive whatever happened wasn't magic. At least I don't think so," Jason explained defensively as he scratched his jaw nervously before looking down at his hand. "Now I wish I hadn't closed my eyes."

"What does closing yer eyes have ta do with anythin?" asked the young pony with a confused expression.

"Because I can't be for sure what happened. I just remember seeing the tree fall towards me, me closing my eyes and holding my hand up 'cause I couldn't move out of the way, I felt my hand get really hot, then the explosion occurred that nearly threw me out of the wheelchair. Finally, I opened up my eyes to see the debris and everything was tinted red for a moment before it went back to normal," the teen explained with a thoughtful and analyzing tone. "If I do indeed have magic then it must be this world, because I know of a few scars I wouldn't have if I did before."

"Ah don't see how that makes any sense," whined the young pony.

Jason shook his head. "I don't so see how either, but that's all can come up with. I still don't think it was magic though."

Applejack walked right up to the human and stared into his dark metallic green eyes instructing, "Say what ya jus said again."

The determined bright green eyed stare was quite challenging, but Jason had endured far worse. In fact, he was half tempted to ignore her request or retort, but the teen rather not make enemies this early on in his stay here, especially when she was friends with the other ponies that were helping him. So, Jason submitted reiterating, "I did not have magic before, and I do not think I have magic now. If I do, then I do not know how in the world to control it. I really do not think what happened to that tree was magic."

Applejack studied the human's eyes for a few seconds before backing off with an apologetic expression saying, "Sorry 'bout that, Jay. Ah jus wanted ta make sure ya weren't lying."

Jason looked at her, then the young one who still seemed very curious, and finally the red pony who had watched the exchange closely and no longer seemed as defensive as before. Rather, the red pony had a content/bored expression that he had earlier.

"You're fine. I'm as confused you all are," Jason said as an acceptance to Applejack's apology with a dismissive wave. Then, he looked back at the other two asking, "So, what're your names?"

Applejack stepped in between the two other ponies and elbowed the young pony as it was about to speak saying, "This is mah little sis, Applebloom." Then she nudges the big one, "'N' this is mah brother, Big Macintosh."

The large pony nodded. "Eeyup."

Applebloom turned to her sister whining, "Hey! Ah'm ol' enough ta introduce mahself!"

Applejack turned to her sister with an agitated look saying, "Applebloom, not now in fronta our guest."

"Sis, ah'm old enough ta get mah cutie mark at least let me introduce mahself!" demanded the filly with a defiant look in her eyes.

"Now look here, sugarcube, ah know that ya like bein' independent and all, but…" started Applejack, but Applebloom interjected defiantly.

"Sis, ah am old enough! Ah'm even a Cutie Mark Crusader! Let me at least introduce mahself!"

"Applebloom! Ah don't have ta let ya run around with yer friends! Ya should consider yerself flankin' lucky that ah even let ya do that!" hollered Applejack with her patience with the filly running out.

A full blown sibling squabble followed with Big Macintosh removing himself from the situation and ending up next to the human watching to make sure that the sisters did not hurt themselves too much.

"Seems not all is peaceful within the walls of Camelot," Jason quoted from an old variation of the Tales of King Arthur, Merlin the Wizard, & Excalibur of the Lake. Big Macintosh glanced at him with a curious gaze so Jason explained with an amused smile, "It tis from an old book I read once. I often use that quote to describe arguments and fights between family members and close friends since the Knights of the Round Table were for the most part either of kin or were close friends. Camelot was their castle that they resided in though it was out in the middle of nowhere. Three days at a constant walk to get to the closest town. The book itself is fantastic though."

Big Macintosh nodded responding, "Thought ya said Canterlot. Camelot yer capital?"

Jason shook his head. "No, It is just ancient ruins in a country across an ocean. My country was once a part of the British Empire, but we rebelled due to unfair representation. We were being taxed brutally and all we asked for was a spot on Parliament, but the King would have none of it from a colony. So, we split from the Empire 200 years ago to form a republic called the United States of America. Recently though, my countrymen were being repressed by similar forces within our own stagnate government, mainly our legislative body known as Congress, and attempted civil war." Then, the teen paused to see if Big Macintosh was even paying attention.

Obviously he was though, because he asked, "What happened?"

Jason sighed dismally. "We failed and the situation only got worse as the government absorbed two large neighboring countries and formed NAFU, aka the American Empire. Now the corrupt and stagnate Congress covers an entire continent and devolved into an oligarchy making our elected President just a figurehead."

"Glad the Princesses are fair. Equestria is a good country," commented Big Macintosh.

"After being in a republic, or at least indoctrinated to believe that republics are the best type of government possible, I am finding it difficult to adjust to being in an authoritarian state, but you're right: the Princesses do seem fair… so far," Jason admitted, though grudgingly. He turned his attention back to the sisters to see that they were still going at it, but Applejack seemed to be, of course, winning though the young filly was giving the fully grown mare a run for her money. I remember having tussles like this with Orion. Too bad he betrayed us and I'm here now, 'cause I would of liked to have one of those 'brother brawls' one last time.

"Does this happen often?" Jason finally asked as he pulled himself away from his thoughts.

"Eeyup," answered Big Macintosh with a sigh. His expression now seemed to be a mixture of annoyance and boredom, and was definitely no longer content.

"Is it almost over?" the teen asked wondering how long these squabbles last because he knew from experience that these things could take a while.

The red stallion nodded before commanding, "Enough!"

That one word was enough to make the sisters separate instantly making the human wonder how much power the red stallion really had in the family. The sisters quickly exchanged apologies before turning to Big Macintosh and Jason.

"Sorry 'bout that fellas," apologized Applejack for the both of them.

Jason gave a dismissive wave saying, "Apology accepted. Besides, I've had much more violent fights with my mother, when she was still alive that is, but you two just seemed to be play fighting in comparison like me and my brother used to do. It's really too bad my mother was drunk and violent most of the time. She had been a good parent once, and I still don't understand why Orion betrayed us." The human's expression was solemn now as he felt an itch of regret in his chest.

"Must've been somethin' awful. Princess Celestia banned drinkin' alcohol. Heard stories though," commented Big Macintosh with a sympathetic look.

Then, Applebloom suddenly walked up to Jason and started to inspect him and the wheelchair.

The teen raised a brow. "May I help you?"

"Applebloom, yer bein' rude ta our guest!" scolded Applejack though her steam had already been spent in the squabble.

"It's fine. She's not hurting anything," Jason replied with an easygoing smile before watching Applebloom continue her inspection.

"She's to ask," stated Big Macintosh with a stern voice.

Applebloom instantly winced and turned to the teen asking, "Was this Twilight's wheelchair? It has all them fancy gizmos like hers did."

Jason nodded. "Yeah, and the fancy gizmos are…" Applejack suddenly started shaking her head and making a silent 'no' as Big Macintosh did the same. "…something I have yet to figure out," he finished almost as a question with the two older ponies sighing in relief.

"Aw, that's too bad," whined Applebloom as she sat on her haunches with an almost pouting expression. Then suddenly, she perked up again asking, "Do ya know anything that could help me get mah cutie mark?!"

Applejack and Big Macintosh looked at the human questioningly as well, but Jason assumed it more of them wondering whether he knew what a cutie mark was as he scratched his jaw for a moment before answering, "Well, I do have some talents that could…"

"Yippy!" hollered Applebloom as she started to jump around Jason. "Can ya show me now?! Can ya show me now?!"

Jason shook his head warily. "No, not until my arm has healed. I can't really do many fine-tune things with my left."

"Aww," complained the yellow filly.

Since she was on his left side, Jason gave the filly a comforting pat on the head and said, "Hey, as soon as I'm healed, I'll show you some useful talents, and maybe you'll learn some life skills too."

"Promise?" asked Applebloom with puppy eyes.

Jason nodded with a warm smile. "Cross my heart, and if I happen to get good enough with my left, then I'll show you then."

The filly bounced up and down happily. "Thank you! Thank you!"

The young man chuckled as Big Macintosh stepped up to him and asked, "Ya hungry?"

Truth be told, Jason was utterly caught off guard by the question, and it took him a few moments to respond, "Er, yeah… I haven't really eaten anything today…"

"Then join us fer lunch!" invited Applejack, "Ah'm sure Granny Smith would get a kick outta ya."

The human almost shrugged, but catch himself and nodded instead. "Sure I'm not intruding?"

"Eeyup," stated Big Macintosh as he started his way through the gate.

Applejack turned to Applebloom saying in a playful, but serious, tone, "Tell Big Mac we'll catch up ta him in a moment. I need ta talk with Jay real fast." Applebloom nodded and gave a cute little salute before running to catch up with her brother.

Then, Applejack turned to Jason with an amazed expression on her muzzle asking, "How'd ya get mah brother ta talk that much? I haven't seen him so interested in talkin' since last year when Applebloom put that love poison on him so that he'd have a Hearts and Hooves Day partner. Come ta think of it, ah've never remembered him even inviting anypony over. What did ya do?"

Love poison? Man, Mac must be a really big loner if it took love poison for him just to get a Valentine, or at least I think that's what Hearts and Hooves would equate to. Anyhow damn, I thought the guy was shy, but if I'm the person he'd talked to the most in over a year… Jason started to think in a tangent, but caught himself since Applejack had asked him a question and replied, "Well, I'm not sure. He seemed to be more talkative after I did some mathematics in front of him and figured out that a trot and 900 lengths equals two and three quarter miles in my measurement system. He seems to have every number for your measurement system memorized."

Applejack nodded with most of the amazement worn off. "It's a ability of his that he likes ta show off when he can. Ah've never seen another pony, 'cept fer Twilight that is an' he has trouble understandin' her, that can pull off the fancy numbers he can. Ah think he wants ya as a friend, or at least somepony to play that fancy board game he calls 'chess,' which ah haven't even seen Twi play."

So he has practical smarts, that makes sense now. I think that's how I started out a long time ago until I started using learning as an escape from reality. Come to think of it, I was a bit of a loner too, so maybe we do have something in common, Jason thought with a scratch of his beard. "Well, I wonder if is the same as chess back home, anyway I doubt you had me stay back just to talk about how I got your brother to come out of his shell."

Applejack raised a brow saying, "Actually it was. Ah really think it's good that he finally has a somepony ta talk to. Do you need ta talk 'bout anythin' before we get caught up?"

The young man looked around nervously before finally saying, "Yeah, to be honest, it's about the magic thing, AJ. I've been thinking about it and I think you all were right, but this could be dangerous."

Applejack's expression became one of confusion as she asked, "How'd havin' magic be dangerous?"

Jason pinched the bridge of his nose. "Because I do not know how to control it! I can't even figure out how I did it to start with! I remember reading in fantasy tales from my world that magic is a type of energy and it takes discipline and concentration to control it. I do not know if that is how magic is here, but I really do not want to risk accidentally doing to a pony or house what I did to that tree."

Applejack started to grasp what her newest friend was saying as she remembered a time Twilight had pushed too hard and lost control of a spell when she was perfecting it. The aftereffect had everypony trimming their mane, tails, and coats for a while, but that was mostly harmless and was somewhat directed in a spell type sense; it was not just raw power partially vaporizing something. "Ah'm sure if ya keep yer wits about ya, ya'll be fine. Ah mean, if it took somethin' like a tree to nearly crush ya ta have it work, ah think ya can avoid most situations where things like that could happen. Ah'll talk ta Twi fer ya though. She'd know more 'bout this than anypony else."

Jason nodded solemnly and said, "Thanks, and I hope your right, AJ. I really do."

Applejack looked at Jason for a few moments before starting to push him. He appreciated the offer at first, but then he realized they are starting to go faster, and faster, and faster.

Before he realized it, Applejack was chasing the now out of control wheelchair at a full gallop, and the human was holding on with his good hand white knuckle tight. Then, the terror turned into freedom as Jason remembered bicycling down a mountain in Kentucky a long time ago during vacation. He started to laugh hysterically as adrenaline-induced joy started to fill him, and the young man enjoyed the need for speed.

Big Macintosh and Applebloom ware about half way down the drive when they started to hear laughing. Curiosity got the best of them, and they looked behind them just in time to jump out of the way with surprise etched on their muzzles as Applejack and Jason whizzed by. They glanced at each other in puzzlement and gallop after them.

-X-X-X-

Back at the Ponyville Library, Fluttershy just finished her report to Princess Luna with, "… and after I helped him downstairs he went to the bathroom while I got the necessary arrangements for food ready for him by the time he got back out. He is very stubborn when he sets his mind on something, but I think he knows when to ask for help though he doesn't like to ask I think. He is also very smart and understanding, but I worry on how tense he always is."

"Thou needest not worry, Fluttershy. I am certain he is tense for the same reason as I," assured Princess Luna with a sympathetic tone before taking a sip of tea. She had dropped the royal 'We' quite some time ago in the conversation for easier communication, but saying 'I' still did not sound as natural as it did from the others.

"Why are you tense, Princess?" asked Spike as he refreshed Her Majesty's half-full glass.

It is Our fault that Mr. Nalick is stranded here with no way to treat his illness. We should have known better. The Princess's ears drooped and her expression became pained. "Because, young dragon, I do not feel like I belong in this age, so much is alien unto me. I am sure Mr. Nalick feeleth similar though he has hid it well it seems."

"Why wouldn't he say he was uncomfortable to us? I thought he trusted us completely after he cried to sleep in front of us," inquired Twilight since Luna obviously felt sympathy toward Jason's situation.

Becoming stoic again, Luna stayed silent for a moment before responding, "From what I gather, Mr. Nalick is much like I in the sense we often repress our emotions. This can lead to unexpected eruptions of extreme emotions. It is usually anger these compressed emotions latch onto and build it into a blind rage. This can be as dangerous for the person who is releasing their emotions as the beings around them. Ye should considerth yourselves fortunate he hath a subconscious trust in you and cried instead. As for thine question, he probably doth not know himself if what thou say is true about his past."

"Oh, so he's been tense so often that he no longer notices it and thinks it's normal. In fact, he probably feels odd when he isn't tense," observed Spike.

Luna nodded saying, "Tis correct, young dragon."

"That would explain why his heart seemed to be beating faster than it was when there were more of us in the room," commented Twilight ever being the scientist.

"He seemed pretty relaxed when I left, maybe he's starting to adjust," said Fluttershy optimistically.

Luna shook her head. "No, tis thy kindness that is a-keeping him so relaxed, Element of Kindness. But enough of this, we must depart so I can meet Mr. Nalick personally. Have no fear, I will not intimidate him for I know his position better than most," announces the Princess as she stands and the others follow suit.

"I guess I'll see you later, Twilight," said Spike as a goodbye as he started cleaning off the table.

"Alright, try not to get in any trouble," said Twilight teasingly as the three mares started toward the door.

Spike just rolled his green eyes saying, "Yeah, yeah, I'll be good." Then, he waddled off to the kitchen with the tray of cups in his claws. As soon as the door shut behind the mares, however, he immediately headed to the freezer and pulled out a tub of ice cream with a mischievous smile on his face. "Yeah, I'll be good and full of ice cream."

Outside, the three mares met up with the six black pegasi guards, which interestingly enough had bat-like wings, in blue Gothic-style decorative armor similar to Princess Luna's. Four of whom are on transport detail with two to each carriage with the remaining two on guard detail.

"Lady Sparkle, Miss Fluttershy, it is good to see you again," greeted the deep Scottish accented voice the oldest of the pegasi with violet eyes, sea-green colored tail, and a horrible burn scar on the left side of his muzzle that streaked halfway down his neck. He was slightly shorter than the rest, but his armor was more elaborate with a emblem of the full moon on his chest plate rather than a crescent which marked him the leader. He was the only pegasus weapons with a shield-like armor with sharp edges on the back that started just above the hoof on all four legs and ended just above the knee and a crossbow strapped to his back, but the old-fashioned medieval-styled midnight blue griffin feather plumed helmet that seems to be slightly melted where the burn mark is.

"Major Blades! What happened?!" yelled Twilight in shock when she saw the horrible scar.

"A bloody dragon thought it would be a good idea to poach some of the fields near the southern mountains! Got that bloody thing in the dungeons now waiting to see what the bloody Elder Dragon Assembly will do about it!" the major huffed in annoyance, "It's bad enough the our fields are drying out because the weather is so hot, but now the beasts think they can just come in take whatever they bloody please! Celestia help the next dragon that that breeches the pact, 'cause I'm fresh out-o-mercy!"

Twilight winced both the Night Guard major's language and the thought of dragons starting trouble in the south. If the situation started to get out-of-hoof, then the ponies might start treating Spike poorly, and that was something she certainly did not want. From the way Major Four Blades was acting though, it was already well out-of-hoof.

"Oh my! I'm sure they're not doing it because they want to," said Fluttershy in the dragon population's defense.

Princess Luna shook her head impatiently roaring in the Royal Canterlot Voice, "THIS IS A MATTER TO DISCUSS LATER! WE HAVE NOT THE TIME TO DAWDLE!" With that bellowed, she made one powerful motion of her wings that thrust her into the air for a moment before landing elegantly in the open-top carriage. Then, she irritatedly waited for the journey to Fluttershy's cottage to begin.

Major Four Blades nudged the other free guard beside him in the side and the younger cadet marched over to the second carriage and held the door open with his wing saying, "M'lady? Miss?" with an unusual emphasis on the M's.

Twilight silently entered the carriage first with Fluttershy following nervously behind. The guard frowned slightly as Fluttershy entered and shut the door behind her. Once a routine inspection of the carriages for sabotage was completed, the major and cadet lined up behind the carriages, and the group took off.

Once in the air, Fluttershy relaxed a little as the wind hit her face. She turned to Twilight in curiosity and asked, "You know, I always wondered why they always call you those titles. Is it because you're Princess Celestia's student?"

Twilight glanced at her with a wary expression simply saying, "Partly," before turning away to look at the countryside passing by below them with a melancholy look in her eyes.

The yellow mare gazed at her friend in concerned puzzlement. Twilight rarely hid any secrets from her friends, but whenever the titles or royal descendants were brought up, she simply shut out everypony and simply refused to talk until the subject was changed, or she simply locked herself in her laboratory basement. Not wanting to anger her friend, she decided to let the subject drop saying, "I'm sorry, Twilight. What do you think Princess Luna will think of Jason?"

This seemed to pull Twilight back from her melancholy state for a moment as she gained a thoughtful expression before saying, "I think he's already in the clear, but I can't guess any farther than that." Then, she simply resumed staring at the scenery with her gloomy expression returned as well.

Fluttershy nodded in understanding before staring down at the scenery herself. She could not help thinking about her lousy flight abilities, but then she remembered all the animals that she cared about on the ground. The thought of her animal friends gave the timid mare a small smile of satisfaction. She had a special connection to nature and nothing could ever change that, of this much she was absolutely certain.

Twilight sighed and kept a bored expression on the outside, but inside she was struggling. Her friends would find out her darkest secret soon enough, even if she did not say anything, but it was not as if she could do anything to stop what would happen soon either. Soon, she would have to leave Ponyville forever.

As soon as the flight started, it seemed to end with the carriages descending and the cottage coming into view. It was certainly a peaceful sight to see the grass-covered roof and gentle stream that ran near the solitary structure. The calming sight helped Twilight's mood enough to allow her to focus on the task-at-hoof as she began scanning the area for Jason.

Finally, the bump of a soft landing occurs and the carriages halted on the dirt road just before the stone bridge that spanned across the small stream. The party departed from the carriages and walked across the bridge with Fluttershy in front, then Major Blades, Twilight, two of the senior guards, and Princess Luna with two more guards behind her.

Major Blades paused for a moment and turned to the cadet who was still securing the carriages ordering, "Cadet Weight! Guard the carriages, 'n' don't go anywhere unless it's an emergency! If it is, then come straight to me, Lady Sparkle, or Her Majesty! Understood?!" The much smaller cadet nodded once and finished securing the last carriage while the party continued the rest of the way across the bridge.

Noting that Major Four Blades was not watching him now, Cadet Weight muttered complaints under his breath as he started to look at the surrounding dirt carefully. He had always been fascinated by dirt. Being a pegasus fresh from New Pegasopolis, this was only the third time he had the time to study it carefully. As the curious pegasus studied the ever enticing dirt, the cadet began to notice small tire tracks leading away from the cottage down the dirt road.

Meanwhile, the rest of the crew was searching high and low for Jason but could find no trace of him other than the fact Fluttershy noticed the five apples missing. There was no sign of struggle. With Jason being a wheelchair though, it was obvious there probably would not be one either if he was indeed foalnapped. Finally after several minutes, the crew, minus the cadet who was still guarding the carriages and observing the dirt, assembled in the cottage's living room.

The major cleared his throat loudly to direct the attention to him before saying, "Aright, this is how I see it: the human has either been captured by an outside party, has decided to run for whatever dragon-forsaken reason, or has simply wondered off. Out of the three, I think the first is the most likely due to his wounds."

Princess Luna nodded solemnly in agreement, "We agree with Major Blades. He hath the most experience in this field, and so We will defer to his judgment unto this matter."

"So who would take him? The Diamond Dogs?" demanded Twilight. "I don't think he would be taken. His injuries make him too much of a burden to haul around, and besides it's not like he knows any of Equestria's secrets. He just got here for crying out loud!"

"Then what do you suggest, milady?" asked Major Blades incredulously. He had never seen his niece so easily fired up except for that one topic, but that was never discussed with others outside of the family.

"Uncle, Jason has a wheelchair! I know because I left it here for him, and I know for a fact he is a curious and thinking person by the way he spaces out! I would not be surprised if Jason wondered off on his own to go see and study the area!" announced Twilight agitatedly while dropping all forms of formalities in the process.

Major Four Blades puffed up his chest to roar something, but only sighed mightily. His niece was testing his patience today that much seemed obvious already. However, he would not stoop down to her level for he was a middle-age fully-grown unicorn, and she was but only barely full-grown, Her Majesty's protégé or not. He gathered his thoughts, stared violet eyes to purple ones scolding, "Look, Twi, I know you are still naïve to this world's dangers. In fact, you are the closest thing to a daughter I'll ever have, but do not think for a second that everypony and everything in this world is good. Nothing is perfect, and if it were, I would not be in this line of work because it would not be necessary. I could have pursued being a professional fencer instead."

Twilight attempted to say something, but he cut her off continuing, "Now do not get mad at me. I know you do not come to any conclusion without something to back it up. Now give me the evidence, and I will see what I think of it."

Twilight bit her bottom lip nervously, but made a conscious effort to keep her ears from folding back. If she told them that it was because she dived into Jason's mind and read his memories, then she would be reprimanded for sure. On the other hoof, it would mean failing too, and she was not about to accept that. Therefore, she told a half-truth instead, "I know him well enough to know how he acts, and the animals would be frightened if there had been any struggles. I know also Jason is a war veteran, and he would not go without a fight. He still blames himself for his failures during the war. There would be signs of a struggle." She held her breath hoping the appeal that Jason was a veteran would be enough.

"She's right no veteran worth his tail would let himself be taken without a fight," agreed the taller of the senior guards. He seemed unusually thin and not much older than Twilight or Fluttershy, but the muscles the dark heavily scarred pegasus had could be clearly seen under the fur and scars.

The major smiled humorously. "I believe you're right Lieutenant Thunderstorm, even if the being of subject has no tail to start with. I told you, Lady Sparkle. You just need to let others in on your facts sometimes. You've always had a wee bit-o-trouble letting others know what you know," he says before turning to his principle. "Your Majesty, I agree with the evidence given that he has simply wondered off I think we have enough here for a search part if Lady Sparkle and Miss Fluttershy join." Truth be told though, it was not actually a voluntary assignment; the major was trying to make it sound nicer.

Princess Luna remained silent for a moment longer before saying, "We do not have time for this. We will search for Mr. Nalick as well."

"Your Majesty, I…" started the major, but he was interrupted by Princess Luna.

"NO. WE ARE A-GOING, MAJOR FOUR BLADES!" announced Luna in the Royal Canterlot Voice as she started toward the door.

"Princess Luna! Somepony has to stay here in case Jason decides to come back! Besides you might scare him if you meet him as fired up as you are!" yelled Twilight as the Princess just passed through the door.

The outburst seemed to strike a chord though. The dark alicorn stopped for a moment before turning around and saying, "Very well, Twilight Sparkle. We… I know I am not the best of diplomats, but I believe thee… you art right. I wish not to frighten Mr. Nalick; he seemeth to have suffered enough. You know the locale better than your uncle so give him advice on where Mr. Nalick would most likely be able to travel. I shall await here until news arriveth unless I am unsatisfied with your performance." Then, the dark alicorn princess went back to her previous location across from Twilight Sparkle and Major Blades between the twin pegasi guards.

"Aye, you'll make a great royal adviser yet, lassie," whispered the major proudly. "I have yet to see Her Majesty as casual to anypony as much as she is you. She even talks to Celestia in her old-fashioned manner."

"I think Princess Luna is more comfortable with her older language," quietly commented Twilight nonchalantly as she started visualizing the surrounding area in her mind. Then, she pointed her horn at a wall and brought up a projection of the map in her head.

"That's handy," commented one of the twin junior guards known as Corporal Wing.

No pony else spoke though as Twilight started her presentation. A red dot over a cottage-like symbol blinked on the projected map. "This is where we are." Another dot appeared over a town-like symbol to the northeast. "This is Ponyville which is a quarter-flight and 300 lengths away." Then a red line pulsed around the edge of the forest that the cottage was on. "This is the northern edge of the Everfree Forest. I doubt he knows much about it, but the terrain is rough even on the road leading to Zecora's hut and Their Majesties' ancient castle that he couldn't of gone more than 500 lengths since it's only been about an hour since Fluttershy arrived at the library." Another line pulsed that led away from the cottage to another road that led away from Ponyville past an apple symbol heading southeast before ending at cloud city to the south. "And this is Canterway 07. Originally, it connected Their Majesties' ancient castle with the original Pegasopolis. Now, however, it connects Ponyville and the cottage to New Pegasopolis. Just before the fork that splits Old 07, which leads here, and the current Canterway 07, which leads to Ponyville, there is an orchard the Apple Family lives at known as Sweet Apple Acres. I doubt he has gotten that far, but it is not outside the realm of possibilities. I would suggest a sending a scout to the northern edge of the forest, a scout Canterway 07, and a scout to Ponyville. I can talk to Zecora myself, because she knows the forest better than I do, but sending a two pony team into the forest wouldn't hurt either."

"That's about what I figured," commented Thunderstorm noticing Twilight's nervousness. "If I may?"

"By all means, Lieutenant," replied Princess Luna as she stared at the map intensely.

"Go ahead, you've got almost as many successful pursuits as I do, colt!" said Major Blades with a laugh, "Don't be so modest!"

"I am a stallion, Major," commented the lieutenant sourly as he stepped up the wall with the projected map. "I would suggest sending Corporal Chaser and Corporal Wing to scout the forest since they grew up close to it and know the area relatively well. Major, I would suggest you would be best scouting 07 or the forest's edge since you can spot a rabbit from 150 lengths easily so a bipedal human in a wheelchair should be easy for you since those are large areas. As for Miss Fluttershy… I suppose sending a local to Ponyville would raise fewer questions. I would prefer it if Lieutenant Lance and Cadet Weight stay here. Lance for Her Majesty's protection and Weight for his own. We have no idea how this 'human' could react to armored personnel, and it could turn violent if provoked."

"What will you do then, Storm?" asked Lt. Lance mildly. He was one of few ponies that ever used Lt. Thunderstorm's nickname since he was golden eyed pegasus's oldest and most trusted friend.

"I will fill in whatever assignment is left open."

"Oh no, I'll follow your lead this time, laddie! You need the experience to succeed me anyway!" laughed the Major.

"Hay, we'll take the Everfree assignment no prob," said the twin corporals in perfect unison.

"Satisfactory work, Lt. Thunderstorm. We approve of the mission. Lieutenant, sort the guards as thee wish'st, but We do not need a guard to protect Us," commended the Princess.

"We have been over this, Your Majesty," tiredly responded Major Blades with a face-hoof, "Celestia would have our wings and tails if we left you unguarded. We just can't do it."

The ebony alicorn sighed in defeat. As much as she hated being treated like a foal by her sister, she did not wish to hurt her trusted guards. They were the first to respect her and most admired her. She would have to speak with her sister later for she was growing tired of her games and vague answers. "Very well. Have the utmost speed under your wings, a storm of magic in your horns, and bursting courage in your hearts."

The rest of the room bows at the sign of dismissal in thanks and filed outside, except for Lt. Lance who remained ever still by Her Majesty's side, to gather next to the bridge.

"Thanks for saving my flank back there, Storm," whispered Twilight to Lt. Thunderstorm as she walked next to him.

"Anything for an old friend," whispered back Thunderstorm quietly though there was a hint of sourness in his usually calm voice before stopping at the edge of the bridge and turning to face the rest of the search party with commanding golden eyes. "Alright, I guess I'll take the road. Major, you have the forest's edge. Lady Sparkle, see if your zebra friend, Zecora, has seen the human. Miss Fluttershy, search and ask around Ponyville. Corporals, search the forest. Everypony know their assignments?" he ordered with a powerful voice that surprised Twilight and made Fluttershy squirm uncomfortably.

Everypony nodded silently in unison. There was no doubt that Jason would be found now.

Lt. Thunderstorm eased off with a satisfied flick of his gold streaked dark grey tail and a proud smile saying, "Good. Then let's get to it. Meet back at the Canterway 07 Split in forty minutes."