• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 1,531 Views, 36 Comments

Far is the Star Called Sol - Omnicron25



Jason is dropped into Equestria, literally. His ventures are read by a filly trying to right a wrong

  • ...
9
 36
 1,531

9 - To Miss a Filly

Far is the Star Called Sol
Chapter 9: To Miss a Filly

On the balcony of the Ponyville Library, the only human known to equinity was sitting peacefully with a blank paperback book in his lap and a quill in his left hand.

… coming right up!" chirped Pinkie Pie as she vanished as a pink blur. (I haven't known Pinkie for long … or met her often, but from this, I have to say she is hilarious to even write a recounting for!)

Twilight Sparkle seemed to be the first to break out of her daze and asked, "You know Pinkie?" From all accounts though, it seemed that she held no suspicion—only curiosity.

Lt. Thunderstorm was still fairly shell shocked at this point if his, "What?" for an answer was any indication.

Twilight Sparkle asked the same question, and Lt. Thunderstorm answered with a huff and, "Yeah, my aunt used to take me with her when she went to buy rocks from the Pie family's farm. You remember when I was gone for a few days to a week? That's why … What the hay happened to her anyway?" (When he first told me his side of the story I was actually surprised how … well … skittish he was when talking about the pink pony.)

Now it was Twilight Sparkle's turn to be confused. "What do you mean?"

He was said to look around cautiously—presumably making sure Pinkie Pie was out of ear shot—and said in a near whisper, "Her hair used to be straight, and she used to constantly maintain it so it would stay that way. She used to be shy, anti-social, easily frustrated, and … dangerous …"

She immediately asked, "Dangerous?" in her friend's defense. (Twilight Sparkle later confessed to me that Rainbow Dash described something similar—though not dangerous—when Pinkie Pie was declined by all of her friends to go to a party. I will have to convince the Lieutenant and Rainbow Dash to give me more information on the matter.)

The Lieutenant sighed and continued whispering, "Before, Pinkie had something like a split personality. Now, I'm not saying she's a different pony when it happens, but she would just … lash out at ponies close by for no reason! She nearly crushed me with a boulder once when she had one of her fits!" He paused for a moment and calmed down. "But now … she seems completely different, but in a good way. I can still kinda tell it is her, but I wonder what happened to make such an impact." He was musing more to himself now and later confessed—only to me—that he left a lot out. (He is defiantly scared of her. That much I can tell, but he seems to still hold a glimmer of friendship with her too. I speculate there is a lot of history between those two.)

Anyway, Twilight just stared at him dumbfounded. She confessed—only to me—it was at that point she realized how little she knew about her friend's past. This was also when she realized she had seen that side of Pinkie Pie before.

This apparent realization seemed to bring Pinkie Pie back from nowhere with two bran muffins and a glass of sassafras soda each. Then, she is reported to pull two cupcakes from behind her—I'm not even going to guess—and added the pastries to the plates saying, "Here you go! The breakfast is on me! I mean I haven't seen Windie in such a super-duper long time that I want to just explode! That would be bad though. So, I gave you each and extra cupcake and a free breakfast instead!" (I wonder if she really meant that literally. Twilight seemed unsure, and the Lieutenant was positive she would have. That doesn't seem like a good thing to have to worry about.)

"Thanks, Mena," Lt. Thunderstorm said with a nervous chuckle. (Did I mention that the Lieutenant seems to have hypertension? Man, I thought I stressed myself out, but this guy is in another league!)

Pinkie—from what Twilight said—made a more girly slower more regular sounding laugh before saying, "Oh, Windie, no need to call me that old name! Call me Pinkie, or Pie, or Pinkie Pie! Everypony else does! I'm not the same old grumpy filly I used to be, silly! Mean Mena's gone for good!" (You know, I really do wonder at what depth she meant that … Well, moving on!)

Storm kept smiling nervously (I so wish I could have been there to see his face!) while saying, "O—Okay, Pinkie. Would you please call me Thunderstorm or Storm?" (I wonder why he didn't ask her to call him Lieutenant.)

"Okie dokie lokie!" blurted out the enigma called Pinkamena Diane Pie before turning to attend to her other customers. (I love that name by the way! Call me weird, but I swear I've heard that name before when I was on Earth! I thought my name was interesting, but she beats me by a few homeruns and then some!)

Twilight smiled and said, "Thanks for breakfast, Pinkie! Are you sure it won't be a problem?"

Twilight told me that was when Pinkie started bouncing, though the Lieutenant didn't seem to notice. "You're super-uber-doober welcome, Twi! I just need to hurry up so I can take my break so I can start planning the Welcome to Ponyville Party! Oh! I still haven't gotten all the planning done for Jay's Welcome to Equestria Party! I really need to get going! Talk to you later Twi! See you Stormie!"

Finally, got that funny account finished. I figured it may be important later—whether for a good laugh or actual information, I will find out. I find Pinkie Pie to be quite interesting. Her aura itself is … fucked-up almost beyond recognition? like there are two different people ponies occupying the same person pony. (I really need to get the person-pony conversion down.) No matter, as long as it does not become a problem, she is what she is. I'm not going to start firing up false alarms.

On a more recent—and directly affecting—subject, the little filly named Astral Plane is an interesting topic. She claims to be from twenty years in the future! Yes! Two-zero-years from the fucking future! I find it really hard to believe, but her aura … I just do not know what to think about it. She has more energy than even the deity I met earlier! I have no idea what to think of her. Great, now I am going in circles. Twilight seemed to know something about the 'Starswirl the Bearded' thing and said something about a short-term chronological jump that she made. I will have to talk to her more about this. The kid filly is doing well, and is still asleep. It's only been two hours by my reckoning. She looked exhausted when she got here, and strangely calm too. It's either the extreme exhaustion that kept her from panicking, she is very level headed, she expected this to happen, or a bit of all. I guess we'll know once she wakes up. —End of Entry #34

Jason laid the open book down on the sunny balcony to let the ink dry and capped the ink before standing up to stretch. Well… That was a long entry. I guess it was worth it though. It really cleared my head. He thought as various stiff joints popped and his muscles loosened.

He bent over and grabbed the book closing it along with the ink jar and quill before going to check inside. It was time to check on Astral Plane to see if she was awake yet. He was hoping that she was not too tired earlier and that she would not panic when she woke up. That could be bad. It was a good thing that Twilight had sent for the local police. Otherwise, things could look odd if he had to restrain her. That might not look so good for an alien to tie up a young pony— even for her own safety.

"I'll cross that bridge when I get there," he said to himself idly as he put the quill and ink jar he had borrowed— with permission of Spike of course— to the writing desk before putting his journal on top of the refrigerator and venturing back upstairs which took several minutes.

The library was quite large actually. When he first woke up, he assumed that her bedroom was the entire library— which should say something about the size of her bedroom— and that the bedroom door was the main entrance. Twilight seemed to have most of the more advanced books in her room as well as the prototype pieces for the new foals' section— he had been told the filly named Applebloom was still working on the finished pieces. He understood now why she seemed so surprised that he was able to translate and understand some of her books so quickly. It had surprised him too. The fact there was an early learner's book in that particular section of books was a probability of one to the fifty-five thousand against as Twilight so thoughtfully put it. The fact he found five was astronomical.

Along the way, he checked on Spike who was sleeping in his basket. Jason thought he had bored the poor drake to exhaustion earlier, and he was proven correct. So, he moved on to the guest room, which was technically his, but he gave it up to the young filly. He had learned to sleep just about anywhere. He actually found the wood floor in the basement quite comfortable.

He opened the door to find the blue filly still resting peacefully under the sheets. At least she is getting the rest she needed. She's sure to be hungry when she wakes up, he thought as he left the room. As the door closes, the filly cracks an eye to watch it.

She had not been asleep for the better part of an hour. Even in her 'repressed-state', she was still an alicorn, and alicorns do not require much sleep. An hour of sleep to an alicorn is equal to several hours of sleep to a normal pony. Being an alicorn— even as diminished as she was— had its advantages.

Jason by now had returned to the main room of the library and was awaiting the return of Twilight and company by reading through some more of the children's— correction: foals'— books. The progress was slow and painstaking, and sometimes he had to read a word out-loud to make sense of it, but it was a vast improvement. He rarely even used his cheat-sheet anymore. Though, it would still be a while before he would be reading any novels or textbooks.

"Why dost thou gaze upon tomes of foals? Thou seemst to have far more linguistic capacity than thee is a-demonstrating."

Jason put his hand up to his chest in fright and jumped up to see Princess Luna standing behind him with a smirk on her muzzle. "Oh, Princess! Don't do that! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" He hadn't sensed her at all, and that was why he was so badly surprised. He was not angry though, and he did appreciate the prank.

Luna put on an expression of feign concern asking, "Dost thou have so weak a heart that thy heart will explode by shock…" Then, she put on a sultry smirk and continued, "Or is Our royal voice too much for thy heart to bear?"

Upstairs, Astra was creeping as fast as she quietly could. Her natural light steps helped ease the matter, but she had to find out it was really her mother— even if it was the past version— or not. It may be her only chance to get to her own time or out of the extreme narcomancy that had been placed on her. Neither where good options, and she had no idea which it was anymore.

Jason chuckled and gave a slight bow. "You caught me red-handed, Your Highness. I assume you are here to see the new guest? I must say she looks a lot like you."

Luna looked puzzled. "New guest? We were not informed of a 'new guest'." She puzzled for a moment, and Jason started to say something before she shook her head and continued, "Nay, there is another matter that needeth attending. We would like thou to accompany Us. This is merely a request. Thou may decline if thee so choose, but the matter is of relevance unto thyself."

Astra could now see the two in the main room, but was staying in the shadow of the enclosed staircase that lead to the second floor. She had only heard muffled sounds of the conversation before, but now she should be able to hear it clearly. It is Mother! I would never thought she would come here… Her thought, however, is interrupted by the next sentence.

"No problem, Your Highness. It would be a pleasure to accompany you," said Jason— who was now decidedly nervous— as he put the book down. Then, he gave a nonchalant wave saying, "I needed to take a break anyway."

Luna smiled at the affirmative. "Please, Mr. Nalick, call Us Luna as We have requested the rest of the population. We are pleased thou agreed. It will maketh progression smoother for all parties." Then, noticed the gold chain of the medallion that was tucked into his shirt when his shirt shifted. "Dost thou fancy Our medallion?"

Astra narrowed her eyes suspiciously. What is their relation? Why are they acting so familiar with each other? There is a lot the book does not describe when seeing the interactions in real-time. Maybe this is a narcomancy spell after all. The seemingly innocent question had definitely left a sour taste in her mouth

Jason pulled the medallion out of his shirt and inspected it further commenting, "Why yes, Luna, it a most beautiful piece. I know it is probably to keep track of me, but I do appreciate the concern for me getting lost." He smiled uneasily. Aside the beautiful comment— he had never seen pure gold up close— he had been lying through his teeth. He actually wore the medallion because he thought it was required, and why would he run anyway? It was not like he knew the area. "So, Luna… What do you need me for anyway? I mean, I'm just a human, and the control over my powers is less than stellar."

Luna only smiled and gestured him to a shadow in one of the corners. He gazed at it and immediately felt there was the Lunar Princess's power within the shadow.

Astra's fur stood on end. She did not like where this was going, and inched as much as she dared while suppressing her presence as much as possible. She knew Jason could read the ethereal, but she had no idea whether or not her mother could do it to the same capacity since Astra herself could only feel slight nudges here and there.

Jason looked at the shadow warily measuring the intent and inspecting the power. There is no inconsistency in the power. It's all coming from the deity. I don't perceive any malicious intent, but that doesn't mean anything when dealing with gods and goddesses… especially night-based deities "So, uh … what's in there exactly?" he finally asked warily.

Luna smiled comfortingly. "Fear not, Mr. Nalick. We only wish to show thee something. Thou hast Our royal word thee will be under Our protection."

The young man nodded. "What do you need me to do?" he asked with caution layered heavily in his voice. I might as well play along. This might be the test this moon goddess is using to show my trustworthiness and my trust in her. I certainly don't want to disappoint It was odd; he had not wanted to get approval from anyone before, but this deity… He could not help but feel compelled to follow her word— command or not. I'll have to be wary of that in the future, he thought to himself.

Back at the stairway, Astra's jaw hung open. She had the strongest urge to yell at her mother and tell her to stop. What in the darkest caverns of Tartarus is she doing?! She kept herself still though. The sealed alicorn knew of her mother's temper, and relation would not save her if she intervened because her mother had no idea who she was. No, she had to intervene with more tact than that. She had to make a plan.

"Merely step unto the shadow, feel it, and move with it. A-fighting it will prove unfruitful once inside."

Jason nodded slowly. I was right: this is a test. I hope I pass… he thought not wanting to think of the consequences if he did not pass satisfactory. He stepped into the shadow. It felt… thick and moving. He could feel the power of the deity flowing around him as well as his own power flowing out of him and guiding through the world of shadow he had been absorbed into. Amazing! he thought as a realization struck him, I'm traversing though shadow!

The Lunar Goddess's smile widened as she witnessed the human starting his first shadow walk. She was happy he decided to trust her. It made her feel touched since most ponies still yet had trouble accepting her. A being from another world… A scarred warrior with moral and power… He hath more potential yet, and yieldeth faith of the purest kind. We should consider Ourselves lucky that he art of a kind heart. He will make a fine ally for the trials yet to come.

She pulls herself away from the thoughts that were distracting her. She had to guide Jason to his destination since he cannot do so himself with such limited magic control that his body naturally possessed. She thought for a moment of telling Twilight Sparkle's young assistant of her spiriting away of Jason or leaving a note, but decided to forgo it as she emerged herself in the shadow melting from existence.

The filly instantly galloped to the shadow. The shadow's path was still open. She did not need her horn to feel the natural energies that yields such paths. It was part of her nature too— a part of her core. She bit her lower lip unsure of what to do. She could shadow walk. Any pony blessed or sprung from the Princess of Mona— the moon— could do so. Her birth just made it with ease only second to her own mother. But what if it goes wrong? What if I mess up? I can't use my magic to eject me… What if she catches me and is angered? What if I wind up somewhere far from Equestria with no way back?

"No… I won't be caught! I will— as cousin says— find the bottom of this conun… conud… condrum…? Oh forget it! I will figure this out if I must march through the acid pits of Tartarus and back!" she squeaked to herself in determination. Then, with as much stealth as equinely possible, she nearly seemed to float into the shadow, without even the sound of a hoof fall, and melted away.

With the filly gone, the only trace of life in the library came from the gentle snoring of a lone baby dragon at sail in the world of dreams in his wicker basket.

-X-X-X-

In the barn of Sweet Apple Acres, four ponies: one unicorn, a pegasus, and two earth ponies, were standing in a rough circle talking quietly amongst themselves. The names of the four occupants were Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and surprisingly, Big Macintosh. The sight of the largest pony, as well as only stallion, in the group— though he had yet to say more than two words— was a bit surprising to the other three. Usually Applejack's brother avoided being in the conversations of his sister's friends, but news of a filly the age of his little sister, Applebloom, had drawn his attention.

A fifth pony joined the group as Lieutenant Thunderstorm landed heavily just outside the barn doors and stepped inside. "Alright, I'm here. What was so urgent to interrupt my first massage in over three years?" He sounded annoyed, and the message deliverers were not the most subtle three ponies in all of Equestria.

"Storm! You're not supposed to be flying yet!" scolded Twilight with vehemence earning a glare from the stallion, but she continued regardless, "You still have a concussion, and it is very dangerous to fly with an injury like that! Are you even list— mmf!"

Suddenly, she was muffled by an orange hoof covering her muzzle with the owner saying, "Ah'm mighty sorry 'bout that, Lieutenant. Twi jus gets a bit ahead of herself sometimes. Ah hear y'all were friends back in Canterlot?"

Lt. Thunderstorm shrugged. "Yes, and we're still friends." He turned his eyes to Twilight now with a flick of his tail. "I appreciate the concern, Sparky, but I'm a full-grown stallion. You know I do not like being coddled." Now, he shifted his eyes to the group as a whole. "What is going on?"

Twilight gently pushed Applejack's hoof away asking, "Hasn't the Princess contacted you yet?"

The only response was a dismal shake of his head before another male voice from behind him spoke up. "You're letter got through. Princess Luna visited my manor and made the order to make sure the filly is as safe as possible. I've already erected a smart barrier and left my two brothers, Blur and Blare, at their guard post for now. They will need to be relieved eventually, but it will take two days for the Royal Guard to get themselves organized and travel here. Any volunteers?"

"Eeyup!" announced Big Mac. He was technically part of the reserve guard anyway— though he was barred from doing much due to his work on the farm— and this matter seemed important. Applebucking season was not for another two months. So, he had a decent amount of time on his hooves anyhow. It would cut into his resting time, but he could not turn down a job easily.

"You talked to Princess Luna?" asked Twilight a little surprised.

The lieutenant glared at the stallion— he felt offended. "Why didn't she talk to me directly? I am still a Night Guard even if I'm on leave. Did she give me any orders? She knows I'm here and almost completely recovered." The words were spat almost like an accusation.

The stallion shrugged. "She never mentioned you. It surprised me too, but maybe she's wanting you to stay out of the thick of things for a change and relax." He noticed the off-duty guard's eyes harden and got his magic ready while sizing him up. "She didn't bar you from helping either, and I will not turn down the help if you're offering."

"Fine. I can buy that," Storm finally grumbled after a moment, but says nothing else in fear he might cause unnecessary tension and start a fight. Fighting is always the worst way to start a crisis, and in my mood, I'd probably be the one to start it.

That was when Rainbow Dash decided to speak her mind. "Hey! If you're a Royal Night Guard then where are those awesome wings and fangs, huh?" She seemed to use the title as an accusation.

Thunderstorm turned around and opened his mouth to speak with acid, but was interrupted by the white Canterlotian-esque unicorn mare next to the security chief he had met during his disastrous breakfast with Twilight earlier, "Darling, do you really believe that everything your eyes fall upon real?" Her voice had an interesting accent. Storm had to admit that much. It sounded like a cross between Manehattanite and Bitdonish. He had not really paid attention to it earlier.

Rainbow's fire had been stolen out from under her, and she just bit her lower lip.

The mare continued even though her initial intent was finished, "Most Royal Guard armor has a glamour that hides their identity. In fact, darling, most Royal Guards are not white at all! Captain Shining Armor is an exception to the rule of hoof since his armor was passed on from his mentor in his will of passing. That armor is positively ancient and has enchantments on it that no ordinary unicorn could withstand!"

"Captain Star Shield was one of the best unicorns the guard has ever seen, and his armor was said to be as old as the guard itself. The major spoke very highly of his brother-in-arms," agreed Thunderstorm. He was surprised by the white mare's knowledge of the guard. "I never introduced myself before with the minotaur and all. My name is First Lieutenant Thunderstorm of the Royal Night Guard, identification number 55032991." He winced internally at the involuntary saying of his identification number. He kept underestimating how much of his life was taken over by the guard. Being a civilian is hard, and why in Equestria does she remind me of my drill sergeant?

"My name is Rarity, the owner of the Carousel Boutique," the dress maker said with a flip of her mane. "You're commanding officer is Major Four Blades, am I correct, darling?" It sounded more like a statement than a question to the stallion.

Thunderstorm nodded glad that his black coat prevented his blush from showing. "Yes, but there are other matters that need addressed right now. We can speak of this later if you like," he said while thinking, I hope this mare won't be a problem… She's very distracting…

Twilight took the spotlight next— literally in a patch of sun, and on top of an actual soap box to boot— saying, "Thank you for you quick response, Sentinel. I trust nothing will happen as long as your department is on the case."

"No problem, Twilight. That's the job." The stallion nodded thinking, Yeah, and that was probably the most eggheaded line I've ever heard directed at me too.

Twilight smiled and turned to Thunderstorm— or rather the pink mass behind the stallion— asking, "Pinkie Pie, you're the resident enigma. Have you ever heard of a pony named: Astral Plane?"

"I can't tell you!" chirped Pinkie Pie as she jumped over Storm and scaring him half to death at the same time.

"What's that supposed to mean!" came the harsh voice of Rainbow Dash.

"I just can't, silly! Even I have a few rules to follow!" Pinkie hopped easily over Twilight as she started to invent an impromptu game of 'Jump over the Ponies in the Room'.

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, but it turned into a sigh. That's Pinkie Pie for you… Then, she asked with obvious restraint, "What can you tell us, Pinkie Pie?"

The pink mare jumped over Rarity and Sentinel. "Oh! Why didn't you say so?! She's not REALLY an earth pony!" She now jumped over Applejack and Big Mac. "Astra's actually an ALICORN!" She jumped over Thunderstorm again. "Her powers were sealed by her mother, because she did a bad thing, but was sent to Ponyville to see her cousin and was staying to learn a lesson of friendship! That's when she was sucked into a book that had us in it!" Suddenly, Pinkie Pie stopped moving and got very, very serious. "She's important for the future of Equestria."

Rarity made a polite cough and spoke up, "Pinkie, dear, that seems a bit hard to swallow. I understand this poor dear is important and all, but who is she really?"

"But I'm telling the truth! Why can't you believe me?!" asked Pinkie Pie which earned a raised brow from the majority.

Sentinel walked over to the Lieutenant and spoke quietly, "Hey, I'm Sentinel Heart. It's nice to finally meet you." He turned to Pinkie making a scene for a moment before turning back asking Storm, "Are you believing any of this?" His own tone was not disbelieving, but did seem a little too flat.

Lt. Thunderstorm shook his head. "I'm not sure. I knew Mena when she was a little filly on her parent's farm." This earned raised brows from the other stallion, but Storm did not seem to notice as he continued, "Her creepiness has certainly gone down, but she still as confusing as ever…" His voice drifted off as if getting lost in thought for a moment, but then came back. "Sorry about that, sir. What I was saying was: I have seen some weird stuff in my life; so, I wouldn't discount it yet. I'm Lieutenant Thunderstorm by the way, but you know that already."

Sentinel nodded and looked back at the group to find Pinkie still trying to sell her story, and now, Applejack was getting into the argument trying to keep Twilight from snapping at her fellow Element. Then, he realized something and turned back to the black pegasus. "Wait… Did you just call me 'sir'?"

Storm nodded with a ashamed demeanor. "Yeah… I'm kinda too used to being in the guard, and you're my superior for the mission for the moment. So… yeah… Sorry about that, Sentinel Heart. It's just been hard to adjust to… civilian life."

The quicksilver maned stallion chuckled. "And ponies say I take my job too seriously. I mean no disrespect of course."

The night guard shrugged. "None taken, determination to do one's job well is…"

He was interrupted by Twilight finally yelling, "Pinkie! This is not time for stories! This is a serious matter!"

"Y'ALL BE QUIET NOW OR LEAVE MAH BARN!!!" bellowed a voice that made the rafters rattle.

Everypony looked to Big Macintosh in shock— save for Thunderstorm who had a look of approval plastered on his muzzle.

Applejack shifted her stetson some and spoke up, "He's right y'all. Yellin' ain't gonna do us a lick o' good. We need ta take this one step at a time."

"Eeyup!" affirmed Big Mac as Twilight hopped off her soap box and walked toward her pile of notes.

She pulled out one of the many sheets of paper and said. "You're right, Applejack, but I don't want to disappoint the Princess. What if this is a test of the Elements? What if…"

She never got to start her self-induced panic as suddenly the two earth pony Heart brothers, Blur and Blare, storm in gasping for air.

"What's happening?!" demand Sentinel Heart.

"What's the situation?!" sounded Thunderstorm in stereo.

Sentinel and Thunderstorm looked at each other in mild surprise, but quickly recovered as Storm nodded to the security chief submitting temporarily to his authority. This was Sentinel Heart's jurisdiction after all, and he was on leave.

Sentinel gathered his thoughts and demanded again, "What the hay is going on?!"

"We went inside to check on the filly like you asked before taking our posts!" started Blare with a wheeze.

"But she wasn't there, and that hu-mun thing was gone too!" continued Blur with equal wheeze.

"Only the lizard dude that the librarian keeps around is left!" finished Blare now almost recovered from the gallop.

"I knew we couldn't trust that human!" hollered the Lieutenant in anger as he took off into the air and jetted out of the barn.

"Hey! Get back here!" Rainbow Dash yelled as she took off after the black stallion— her protective instincts kicking in. She knew he would hurt Jason if he got the chance.

Sentinel opened his mouth to yell something after Rainbow, but she is out of the barn before he can get a word out. Then, he whirred to his brothers yelling, "Why did both of…! Never mind, follow me!" Then, he cast a specialized life detection spell on himself and ran out the barn with his brothers in tow.

Twilight and Applejack nodded and followed as Twilight cast her own life detection spell galloping out of the barn.

"Oh! Oh! Are we playing hide and go seek? I love hide and go seek! I bet I can find all of them!" squealed Pinkie Pie in delight as she just… disappeared from existence leaving the lone earth pony stallion in the barn.

Or rather, the disaster zone that now passed as a barn. He sighed and started straightening up the barn to its former glory again. He always had to fix whatever happened to go wrong in Ponyville anyways, and he bet his tail he'd probably have to rebuild at least half the town before his sister and her friends were done. He sighed again. "Jus another day…"

-X-X-X-

Jason was sitting on a moonlit grassy hill next to the Princess of the Night herself. It was a calm, warm night with only the slightest breeze stirring the air and blowing the tall grass gently. It was a serene scene to Jason. He had never be particularly partial to the nighttime, but he had to admit this was one of the most beautiful scenes he had ever seen. It was calming, relaxing and actually put him at ease. He enjoyed the quiet symphony of night life too. He had never experienced such calm on Earth before. He was actually starting to get too relaxed and was starting to get drowsy.

"Was thine experience enlightening?" asked Luna as she turned her head toward him.

He nodded. "I had no idea the separate pony tribes used to fight each other. That memorial… It reminds me too much of humanity's worst mistakes. Mistakes that we make over and over again." He tone was one of melancholy now, and the calm beauty of the scene was lost to him.

"We cannot express Our sorrow for thy race. They seemeth to ignore the glaring history of thy forebearers. Foal warriors… the thought disgusteth Us so. Forget not the past, Mr. Nalick, for it will show thee wrongs. Strive to forge a brighter and more harmonious future out of that past. Tis not the commoner that plungeth thy race into war and conflict, but your poor leaders. This F-D-R, Link-en, and Washing-ton seemeth like great leaders. They understood their populace even if they themselves could not stop the inevitable. Greed and power doth blind those who seek them. We should know. Our own past is not of glory either."

He nodded though he was not aware she was talking about her own experiences. He thumped his fist on the ground in anger. "But six thousand years! Six millennia of conflict my people have endured— probably more— not just to survive, but for petty ideas! Humanity does not learn from its mistakes often, and when it does…" He voice petered out into a whisper as he hung his head, "It's too late for those that suffered."

Princess Luna looked over the human. She pitied him and his kind. Even the gryphons of old never brought such atrocities upon themselves. Was it because humans were the only true apex predator in which only a human could hunt a human? That seemed the likely case. "Do not fret so dourly. You hath accomplished much. Most races in your position would have destroy themselves long ago. Thy race hath been able to prevent that end so far. Your race is of predator and we of prey. No short amount of time will change that. We doubt thy race ever find true harmony on Earth. Nay, thy race must take to the stars as their destiny awaits. What awaiteth in the dark, unwoven future is a mystery to all, but We feel humanity hath yet a chance."

Jason could not argue with that logic. She was right. He felt that above all, humanity was weak and conflicted because it was a lone, confused child. Humanity had predatory instincts and so it fought for resources and territory. Humanity was starting to learn how to share, but the greedy predatory seeds still festered within making nations try to outdo each other. It was funny really. He believed she was right that humanity still had a chance because humanity was still relatively young in comparison to the other animals on the planet. However, to truly unite us, it would take another apex predator to give us competition, and then we'd have to survive until a victor was announced. I don't see us being all kind and just shaking hands, saying hello and moving on.

"We feel the predator inside of thee as well," Princess Luna continued, "Thou asked earlier why Our little ponies were skittish around thee, and tis because they sense it also and know not why. Thou art very unbecoming of a predator." She chuckled a little. "Thy teeth art not even serrated nor art thy claws sharp!"

Jason was not sure whether he should be insulted or not, but decided the latter due to not wanting to accidently obtain her wrath. "Yes, well, we use a much more dangerous tool than tooth and claw, Luna." He tapped his forehead while he smirked.

"Indeed," answered Luna with a chuckle. "Thou art creative in more passages than the average pony."

The young man bowed his head like a ham. "Why, thank you, thank you very much! I'm here till next Tuesday; bring the champagne!" he said with his best pompous tone he could come up with— which was also the worst he had ever heard.

Luna's chuckles relinquished to a full blown laughing fit compete with her falling onto her back and her legs feebly kicking up into the air as if somepony was tickling her.

Jason blinked in surprise. He did not think it was that funny.

After a moment, the lunar deity finally calmed down enough to speak, "Oh, thou hast my apologies, Mr. Nalick, but thou reminded me of an archaic jest an old friend of mine once performed!" Her voice was still infected with giggles, but she continued on anyway, "I must say, thine art of words in most intriguing. Thou hast charisma that is hard to procure via means of study. A natural talent perhaps?"

Jason shrugged. If making the deity laugh was the test, I think I just passed with flying colors, he thought with a smirk as he said, "I suppose. I've never really taken notice of it. I don't like flaunting most of my talents, withholding building or repairing things of course. Employers usually find that valuable." It was true. He would use his talents, but never consciously usually. It made him feel bad for the others that did not have such luck.

"Thy phrase reminds me of another who disliketh flaunting talent in undue fashions." She paused for a moment and looked up at the moon as if gaging time before asking, "Dost thou enjoy this plane?"

Jason blinked as he turned his head to her. "Pardon, come again?"

She turned to look him in the eye. "Dost thou like it here on Equus?"

"Equus?" asked Jason perplexed for a moment before connecting the dots. "That's the name of the planet isn't it?"

Luna only nodded still waiting for his answer patiently.

Jason gained a warm smile. "Why, yes. Equus is beautiful, and so are the beings that live here. I don't think I've ever seen a place so pure in all my life." Then, he frowned. "But… I don't belong here. It's too peaceful, and… I don't know how to put it into words. I just don't. All I know is that this isn't… home." He held his breath awaiting a response, and prayed that she understood.

The Princess did it again. She nuzzled his shoulder as a gesture of comfort. "We understand, Mr. Nalick. Thou art in a strange land full of things thy world hath long forgotten. Although, tis not thy heart which wishes for home. Thy mind is but estranged in this foreign land. We have been observing thee from afar, and We know as much from thy actions."

Jason scratched the back of his head beginning to feel uncomfortable. "I'm sorry; I'm not sure what you mean…"

Luna shook her head. "Tis for a later time. What would thou do if there was a threat to Equestria."

Jason shifted. "Well… It depends on how immediate it is, and whether someone asked for my help. Hypothetically, if Ponyville were attacked today, I'd fight to my last breath protecting it. You have my word on that." There was no fluctuation in his voice. He was a man of his word until his death.

"Why would thou do that if not for home?" the goddess asked testingly.

"For friends," came the immediate response. "I will not see them fight without me if their lives and homes are in danger. I would do everything I could to help. I've fought before, and I would unhesitatingly take up arms again if the need arose. I trust them, and I've seen too much pain to let it happen to someone else if I can prevent it. I would die for it."

She nodded. "Hypothetically, if there were a larger force threatening all of Equestria, what would thee do?" asked Princess Luna with a pensive tone.

Jason cocked his head to the side. "Are you… asking for my help, Luna?"

Luna nodded. "Yes. I am. My sister wanteth thee gone from here as soon as we're able, but I feel tension in her. She hideth something. Thou will know what I mean when thee lay eyes on her."

Jason raised a brow. "Meaning no disrespect, but I don't want to be thrown into a royal spat. What can you tell me?"

Luna smiled. "We… I will be prudent to do so forthwith, but I feel company a-coming," she said as she turned to the shadow of which they arrived from.

Jason felt it to. It was distorted because of the shadow, but he could feel a presence of immense power. He stared at the shadow trying to gather more, but it was beyond him.

Then, a small midnight blue filly with blue hair popped out of the shadow haphazardly and fell to the ground.

"Astral Plane?" asked Jason in amazement and concern as he stepped over to her and offered her a hand to help her up.

Astra glared at the human for a moment before pushing his strange digited appendage away and hefting herself off the ground.

A smirk grew on Luna's muzzle as she said, "Few acquire the art of shadow walk without Our blessing. Tell Us, Our little pony, who art thou?"

Astral Plane stood as tall as she could stammering, "I—I'm A—Astral Plane!"

The ebony alicorn nodded. "As We heard from Mr. Nalick, young one, but who art thou? Truth will be rewarded, dishonesty punished."

Astra's resolve crumbled into ash. She could not just tell the alicorn in front of her that she was her daughter, but she would not dare lying either. Maybe this was a bad idea after all, thought the repressed alicorn filly with a gulp. "I—I'm from… I'mfromthefuture!"

Jason blinked and turned to the Princess of his time. "She's from the future, Luna. She said the same to me."

The dark alicorn inspected the young pony with eyes that could cut diamonds as she made one compete lap around the shivering foal. "We suspected as much. We suppose this is the 'guest' thee spok'st of earlier?"

Jason nodded with a sigh. "Yeah, that's why I thought you were there for at first, because Twilight sent a letter…"

"Nay! There was no letter received!" interrupted Princess Luna as her eyes narrowed. "Our communication hath been intercepted it seemeth!" She turned to the filly, "Thy identity will have to be unveiled later." Her horn glowed and she stated grimly, "We must return to Ponyville post-haste! We fear trouble hath cometh to Our very doorstep."

With a flash, the two ponies and human disappeared from the moonlit hillside leaving only some flattened grass to mark that they were ever there.


Shining Star was not a morning pony despite the fact he always woke up before his parents. The colt rarely slept in past dawn and was usually up just before. Why am I tortured so? What did I do to be cursed like this? he groaned internally as he unceremoniously clambered out his bed, and walked toward the lavatory tail dragging. As he passed Astra's new room, he decided he might as well check on her and, if needed, wake her up. He knew how long it could take for a filly to get ready— he was friends with Glamour, the daughter of the ever impressive Rarity after all.

He opened the door slowly, and after stepping in, noticed she was not in the room. The candle at her bedside table was burnt down to nothing. Horrible for the holders, he thought idly as he noticed the closed book that lay on the bed. The Legend of Jason Nalick Volume 1 - A Being of Earth. His brows raised in surprise.

"I wasn't aware we had a copy of this in the library! I would have read it ages ago if I'd known!" he thought aloud with some of his usual vigor. Then, something struck him. Wait… I thought Astra didn't like this book? That's odd. Maybe she just trying to act all tough and royal like she usually does. Makes sense… He let the thought drop as nature called a bit more urgently this time. Well, I guess this means she'll be ready for school then.

"I really should not drink three cups of water before bed anymore!" the maroon colt said exasperatedly as he left the facilities. He had expected to see Astra by now, and his mother's sentry spell had not been tripped meaning she could not have left. So, where could she be?

"Maybe she's in the kitchen!" he said with near usual vigor and trotted hopefully into the kitchen to find it empty as well. What gives? Where is she?

He was starting to become paranoid. He hated it when he got paranoid. It made him serious, and he hated being serious to. So, wanting to be free of his growing paranoia as fast as possible, he zipped into the basement. It was certainly dark, and if Astra was worried about him or his father picking up on her being sad, this would be the perfect place to go. The walls had been enchanted long ago by his mother to be magic resistant so she could perform her experiments without worry of a magical explosion ripping the place apart. Shining had mentioned it to Astra when she came to visit the first time, but he had thought she had not listened.

However, Shining Star did not find her. Not even a trace anything had been shifted since him and his father had moved the storage boxes down here. So, he went back upstairs and stood in the center of the library's main chamber. His face contorted in concentration seeking out Astra's presence. He searched for what seemed like an eternity, but in the end, he came up empty hoofed. I didn't think that would work. My cousin can hide herself pretty well, but there is one thing I haven't tried yet. He raised his horn up into the air and cast the tracing spell on Astral Plane's jewelry.

Upstairs? In her room? Did I just simply miss her going from here to there? Shining opened his eyes mumbling, "I guess that's possible. I was in there awhile."

After the long climb of stairs, he finally made it back to the third floor. "We really need an elevator or something. It's not like we're earth ponies or anything," he grumbled sourly even though he would never bring it up to his parents. He walked into her room again only to find nothing… again. He cast the spell again. It was possible she was just hiding. She liked to do that, but he was not sure whether Astra could turn herself invisible without her magic. She was an alicorn, so he supposed it was possible.

The spell pointed him right to the bottom drawer of the old dresser. Curious, he opened it to find all of it there— even her tiara. He shut the drawer and turned around puzzled.

Then, Shining whipped around and opened it to look at the contents again. "Her tiara?! Oh, ponyfeathers! What am I gonna do?! What am I gonna do?! She's gone! She never goes anywhere without that confounded headgear! Buck! Buck! Astra's been foalnapped!" The color drained out of his face as he turned in a panic run to his parents room.

Twilight Sparkle was dozing quietly next her husband. She always enjoyed waking up this way. Of course, there were better ways, but this one was certainly the most peaceful. She let random carefree thoughts swim through her mind, and that was when she heard the screaming.

She buried her head into her husband's shoulders hoping it was not something she had to be involved in, but it was all for not as her son came bursting in the room with such speed that it made both her and Lumen jump in fright.

"Astra! Astra! Something happened! I looked everywhere! Tiara's the dresser! I ca—!"

"Shining Star sit down this instant!" yelled Lumen Sparkle in annoyance as he grouchily sat up. His foal sat down right that instant. Lumen was the one that Shining got his anti-morning behavior from, and it had just clocked-in overtime. "Now, tell me what the buck is going on!"

Shining took a deep breath and let it out. It was a good practice to relieve himself his paranoia. "Dad, I think Astra has been foalnapped. I can't find her anywhere, and her tiara is in the dresser…"

He never got to finish his story as both Lumen and Twilight jumped out the bed and galloped out of the room with Shining scrambling to his hooves and running after them.

-X-X-X-

"Alright…" began Lumen with his mind ragged and his appearance just in a general mess. He messaged his temples with his hooves— which is a very delicate procedure— as he gathered his thoughts. "So, what do we know?"

"My sentry spell hasn't been tampered with, and there's no foreign magic residue on the premises so I think it's safe to assume no pony teleported in either," replied Twilight with her head resting on the kitchen table. She had used way too many scanning spells, and it was showing.

"Yeah, what she said," said an exhausted Shining Star who had run all over Ponyville— literally— with Pinkie Pie to find the lost filly. "I guess I know how horrible it is now to miss a filly."

Lumen chuckled attempting to lighten the mood. "You have no idea, sport."

Shining knew it was just a fever talking though. His father never called him 'sport' unless he whacked his head, was dead tired, or had a fever. "You should get some rest, Dad. You're getting another fever."

The maroon stallion huffed. "No, I have…"

He was interrupted by the door swinging open and a purple draconic figure walking in shouting with arms wide, "Hey, everypony! I'm back from…" His words died as looked at the scene of haggard ponies. "Er… What did I just walk into?"