• Published 1st Jan 2024
  • 364 Views, 35 Comments

The Tired Automaton - Partycannon_



It's considered bad luck to break mirrors. A Sweetie Bot story.

  • ...
2
 35
 364

Chapter 4: Running

-::Battery Low: 8%::-

“Come on! We have to hurry.” I was outside of the boutique but my friends weren’t with me. I move my hooves impatiently, none of this will matter if we can’t leave now.

-::Rerouting Power: Sense: Taste: Powering Down::-

Finally the door opened and my two defeated friends fell through. Both of them appearing to have gone through quite an earful.

“COME ON! WE HAVE TO GO!” I yelled and they both quickly popped up. I turned to the street and began a sprint, after a quick face plant I mastered running out of pure necessity.

“H-Hold on, why are we running?” Apple Bloom asked between breaths.

“We are running out of time. We have to-” Maybe I shouldn’t tell them. No, it won’t matter if I can’t obtain power even if they grow suspicious, it’s better than the alternative.

“We have to make something that will create power.”

“Sweetie Belle, you owe us big time. I haven’t had an adult, no, anypony-”

“That doesn’t matter right now.” I turned back to my friends that had less than flowery expressions.

“Look, I’m sorry. We can talk after, we just need power right now”

“Wait power? Like electricity? There isn’t any in Ponyville, Miss Cheerilee talked about it in class today.” Apple Bloom said in thought.

“Yeah, it was, um… Something about something taking more power then what we get or… something?” Scootaloo responded.

“I know but we have to get some.”

“There might be a train leaving to Canterlot soon.” AB suggested.

“No I- it will take too long to get there, even by train.”

“Didn’t Cheerilee mention that someone was fixing the problem?” Scootaloo blurted.

“Who was it again? Maybe somepony who fixes everything?”

“TWILIGHT!” The three of us yelled in unison. I turned at the next alley, sprinting in a new direction.

“You do know that you are going to tell us everything after we get you power right?” Scootaloo stated with a tone of seriousness.

“You owe us that much.” Apple Bloom backed up.

I bit my lip in response, there isn’t anything I could say that would make them happy. I’ll find out how to solve this issue later, right now I have to focus.


-::Battery Low: 6%::-

“Finally.” Apple Bloom said with a sigh. We both looked up to the tree.

“Next time, I need, my scooter.” Our winged friend spit out through exhausted breaths.

“Ah’m surprised you kept up with me Sweetie, actually, you look in better shape then-”

“Let’s go.” I frowned while pushing open the door.

“Me…”

My mind instantly scattered at the chaotic mess and took a few seconds to update. More than half of the books lay in piles across the room while some still sat in their rightful place. Spike looked up quickly from his book and raced over to us in a panic.

“Do not touch anything. Just stay outside, I can get you whatever book you need. If you move a single book Twilight will flip.” Spike said, attempting to wave us out.

“Woah, that’s a huge mess.” Scootaloo said as she caught up.

“It’s been a rough couple days.” Spike said with a tired tone.

“Spike, I need to talk with Twilight.” I stated sternly. The baby dragon looked back with a frown.

“I don’t know, it has to be really important-”

-::Battery Low: 5%::-

-::Rerouting Power: Sense: Hearing: Powering Down::-

“WAIT! NO! AAHHHHGG!” THIS IS EXCATLY WHAT I DIDN’T WANT TO HAPPEN. I looked down to Spike and he seemed very shocked by my sudden outburst, then he started speaking. I bit my lip as I pushed him aside.

“Sorry Spike.” I entered the room. Where would she be, more importantly where is the power she is working on. I tried not stepping on any of the books but it was rather difficult. I’m hoping she is in the basement, I trotted to the door and opened it.

I looked back to my friends to find Spike yelling something in worry, Apple Bloom something in anger, and Scootaloo stared at me with a disapproving frown. I really am sorry but this is far more important. I turn back to the set of stairs going down below the earth. Then I started the decent, flickering lights telling me this is probably the right place.

Finally reaching the ground I found the place scarcely lit by candlelight. Exposed wires, broken circuits, and metallic sheets lay scattered. In the middle of the room was a strange metal box holding a sphere of pure lightning above it. I approached the weird sight as the ball pulsated.

My nose feels funny, a strange warmth filled my face.

-::Battery 100%::-

-::Rerouting Power: Senses: Power On::-

“What?”

BANG


Author's Note:

I was about to miss my schedule of a new chapter every week minus one day but I somehow managed. I wish my heart was in this story more. On the bright side I am slowly working on a small little game and it's even stranger still that my heart isn't into that either. I do think it's a good thing that I am managing to create these things without "heart" carrying the torch but I do wish I could master guiding the heart instead. I think I worry about things too much.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. See you next time :twilightsmile: